Start by marking “Orange Pear Apple Bear” as Want to Read:

Orange Pear Apple Bear

In only five words -- four of which are in the title -- Kate Greenaway Medalist Emily Gravett presents a delightful picture book that is "simple and stunning" (The Guardian), and "daring, original, and a joy" (Sunday Times, London).
Published May 22nd 2007 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published March 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Orange Pear Apple Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orange Pear Apple Bear

Kathryn
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yay! Finally an Emily Gravett book that I really like. (Thanks to my friends who encouraged me to read this one!) This one is so cute! The story is made up of four words (orange, pear, apple, bear) arranged in different ways to convey different meanings--the illustrations help a lot with conveying the meanings, too. Together, they create a fun and charming story that will especially appeal to those of us who enjoy the complexities of sentence structure and language and how punctuation and sequen ...more
Betsie Johnson
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
CONCEPT
This book is a concept book, and the publisher suggested it for ages 1-4. I think that the age range should be higher, because it attempts to involve the concept of dual meanings and grammatical syntax.. Gravett only uses 5 words throughout the book, and uses the illustrations to convey the meaning. The first few pages show an orange, a pear, an apple, and a bear. The next page shows an apple and a pear, and the next page shows an orange bear, followed by an orange pear. Thus, the differe
Ann
Jun 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Only five words are used throughout this book, and what's fun is to see that the meanings change depending on how the words are arranged. I imagine children will enjoy seeing the silly way the meanings change, and it's a good way to introduce them to words and word order. The illustrations are fun and cute and overall I would recommend this title.
Agnė
Ingenious word juggling with equally brilliant illustrations:

Sarah Gerard
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful illustrations and very clever how Gravett only uses five words, but changes the meanings of these words depending on the way they are rearranged. Would easily appeal to young children and would help them to visually understand the difference between the objects i.e. apples and pears.
Maria
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A delightful little board book that wee ones will "read" to you just by naming the picture on the page.
Elizabeth
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book about playing around with four words, ORANGE PEAR APPLE BEAR, to make new scenarios!
Christine Biles
Everyone can remember a time when grammar has failed them. The results are usually quite amusing, whether someone likes cooking their family and their cat rather then cooking, their family and their cat or whether a driver is being made aware of slow children crossing, rather then being told to drive slow because children are crossing. Grammar is hard but teaching grammar shouldn't be. Orange Pear Apple Bear it a fantastic book to use to show children the importance of a comma. It shows clearly ...more
Patricia Sampson
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There's just something extra special and sweet about this book. Everyone in my household loves it and we cuddle on the sofa often to enjoy it together. I adore when I hear my girls reading it together by themselves. My four year old reads it to her two year old sister who loves to yell "bear!" at the appropriate spots. This book has given my little family lots of special moments together that I'm sure I'll cherish as memories when my girls are older.
Andrea
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I am so amused by this book. No storyline, one only character and three fruits. But it is so cute!
PSHE: it is very helpful to improve EY children to improve their ability to distinguish similar and different language sounds, especially tone, tempo and beat, and to get aware of alliteration, ryhme and rhythm.
Cleo Jones
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
An adorable and comical book teaching children about rhyme and sentence structure.
Tamsin
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderfully, simple book to teach young children to read and rhyme. Young children will not only enjoy the concept but the fun illustrations that accompany it.
Catherine McDonald
Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett
This is such a beautiful book about a bear and fruit! Only four words go into this whimsical story but it is the illustrations that capture the children’s attentions. The illustrations are loose watercolours that suit the quirky nature of this book perfectly. Children laugh with joy at the simplicity of it and I would recommend it for anyone who loves beautiful books. It is a great book to use in the Foundation Stage or possibly in Key Stage one for those j
Nicole
Publisher and Year:
Simon and Schuster, 2007
Genre: Educational; fiction
Ages: 1 - 4

Synopsis: A book with little plot, Orange Pear Apple Bear consists of those four words in different combinations, with illustrations to match. The only real character in this book is the Bear, and the illustrations show the interactions the different items have with each other when they are written in different orders and combinations.

Reaction?: I LOVED the illustrati
The Library Lady
Here's an example of the sort of book that the Caldecott types would miss--but no parent of a small child should.

This is a deceptively simple book. As my all-knowing :) assistant points out, there are more words in the jacket flap description than there are in the text!

And there ARE only 5 words in the text--the first 4 are in the title. But what amazing things can be done with just those 5 little words, arranged in different combinations! The illustrations are just right too--not perfectly colo
Holly Crepps
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was amazing how Gravett took 4 simple words and developed them into a number of different concepts. The objects were initially introduced separately, but each new page mixed up the words to create a number of different colored fruits and a bear. This book demonstrated the power of a few simple words, and how simply, by mixing them up, you can create a number of different ideas. I have read this book aloud to children at my daycare, and they loved it. It goes along well with ...more
Ladiibbug
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Children's Book

Author Emily Gravett has won several awards, including the Kate Greenaway Medal, the Macmillan Prize, and the Nestle Children's Book Prize Bronze Award.

A G/R friend's review of this charming, inventive book, using only the four words in the title, plus one more word, sent me off to the library.

I highly recommend this book to everyone, even if you don't have children to read it to. It's so clever and fun. This book would, I think, encourage children's minds to think outside the bo
Charlotte Needham
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Orange Pear Apple Bear is a book that uses four different words throughout the story and rearranges them in a different order to give a slightly different meaning to each part of the story.
I think this story would be good for younger children as it repeats the words quite often and uses them in different contexts, for example an orange bear aswel as showing the orange fruit. The book also uses rhyming words and is a nice easy introduction to rhyming for younger children.
Lisa Vegan
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all young children
Fun. Whimsical. Charming. Cute. Educational. Five (other) words in the book and inventive and intriguing pictures. This is a terrific book for very young children, although, for the very young especially, the adult reading it could enhance the experience of the book by explaining some of the combinations of shapes and colors that match the pictures to the words.
Candice
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie, Oliver
Shelves: picture-books
I saw this in a bookstore and picked it up because, yes, I sometimes do judge a book by its cover. What a wonderful book! In just five words and lovely, lively pictures, Emily Gravett captures the reader's attention as orange, pear, apple and bear are imaginatively recombined and rearranged. There!
Samantha
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite picture books of all time and I use it often. The text only contains 5 words total, but the genius part about this book is how they are arranged in linguistically satisfying ways to round out the book.

Watercolor artwork showcases the playful combinations of words. Overall, a great read aloud for PreK-2.
Kate Puleo Unger
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for early readers as the words match perfectly to the pictures, and there are really only 4 words in the whole book. I read it tonight with my 4 1/2 year old. A great confidence builder. And a very cute book.
Barbara
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Using five words in the entire book but mixing them up in creative ways along with luscious illustrations, this picture book centers around a very large bear who juggles various fruits and then eventually eats them. The colors and shapes are intriguing even after multiple readings.
babyhippoface
Sep 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
5 words. That's all. And wonderful.

Plus, great for teaching context.
Ms Threlkeld
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very simple text made complex by various comma placements. Punctuation marks are amazing!
Nicolas
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
We liked this one a lot. The art was great and I look loved the clever word use.
Casandria
Cute twist on 4 simple words
Apple
Bear
Fruit/food
Francesca Lee
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book uses only 4 words: 'orange pear apple bear' throughout the whole book apart from the last page which just says 'there'. This keeps it simpe for early readers who are just learning how to pronounce words by seeing the repetition.

The pictures used are different combinations with the words that are sued. E.g. the bear is an orange colour so the caption next to it is 'orange bear'. This is showing children that the word orange has more than one meaning so the pictures show different ways a
Ella King
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept
I thought that this book was very good for very young children. This book only uses four words: apple, pear, orange, and bear. This book is very silly because it uses the four words listed before in fun and playful ways throughout this book. This book is very good for young readers to be able to hear these words and to begin associating them with the pictures on the pages. The illustrations also play a big role in this book as well. The pages are white except for the very simple and straightforw ...more
Molly Walker
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is solely made up of four words, and it is the title as well, Orange Pear Apple Bear. This book is so simple but so confusing at the same time. The author uses only 4 words to write a whole book, by just rearranging them and adding punctuation so create different meaning, genius. This book wouldn't be complete without the pictures. The pictures switches up by making the bear an apple shape while making the pear color change from green to orange. This goes on throughout the whole book a ...more

• Bears on Chairs
  • Banana
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • Trains Go
  • Shape by Shape
  • I Know a Rhino
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • Lots of Dots
  • Polar Bear Morning
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Whose Chick Are You?
Emily Gravett is twice winner of the prestigious Kate Greenaway Medal and the Nestlé Children's Book Prize Bronze Award for WOLVES and LITTLE MOUSE'S BIG BOOK OF FEARS. An author/illustrator of unique talent and tremendous skill, she has a host of critically acclaimed books to her name, including BLUE CHAMELEON, WOLF WON'T BITE! and AGAIN! Emily lives in Brighton with her partner and their daughte ...more