Start by marking “Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #8)” as Want to Read:
Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #8)

Girl in a Red Tunic (Hawkenlye Mysteries #8)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  209 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Abbess Helewise is struggling to keep the Abbey going through a brutal winter, and in the midst of this hardship, her son returns after 20 years in desperate need of help. Then a man is found strangled, and the next day her son flees. Helewise and Josse d’Acquin must now investigate the past—to a time before Helewise took the veil. Were her handsome husband and her enigmat ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Girl in a Red Tunic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in a Red Tunic

LJ
First Sentence: He had to wait until it was dark and everyone was asleep.

Abbess Helewise has been thinking about her life prior to joining the Abbey. She is surprised, yet concerned, when her son Loefgar, shows up with his wife, who looks pale and ill, and their 14-month son, who is unnaturally shy and won’t speak. It is a relief to have her good friend, Josse d’Acquin, who had come to the Abbey ill but is recovered, on hand.

When a man, who claims his brother was killed by Leofger in a dispute,
Karen Mardahl
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and read it in one day. I was travelling - waiting in airports and flying - so that helped. When I got home, I had to finish the book despite the late hour.

It's a simple mystery, and as others have written, easy to figure out. However, it's the atmosphere that is fantastic, as well as the time - the year 1193! I found all that quite enjoyable and a worthwhile way to spend a few hours on a dull day. It doesn't seem to be a problem that I haven't read the preceding 7 boo
Spuddie
Sep 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
#8 Hawkenlye Abbey mystery set in 1190's Kent, England featuring Abbess Helewise and Sir Josse d'Acquin, knight of King Richard. The whole country of England seems to be poor and hungry as people give and give to attempt to ransom their captured King Richard. Even staunch supporters such as Sir Josse and the Abbess are much less enthusiastic than they once were, especially the Abbess as her giving and giving makes it harder to feed and help those who are hungry and in need.

Abbess Helewise gets
Ksenija
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A very weak plot stretched out beyond limits. I guessed the culprit around page 80. On the other side, story telling is quite vivid and that is the only reason why I reached the end of the book. I found it hard to get accustomed to the overly artificial language and florid expressions of the simplest things. This however, improves where the story gets more intense. However, if you are curious about the medieval fiction suspense novels, I suggest to start with Elis Peters's adventures of brother ...more
Ruth
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-historical
c2005. Another enjoyable read from Ms Clare. Especially after a run of some either intense or intensively awful books. A beginning, a middle and an end! Phew - at least there are some authors that still do this. This book manages to add yet another dimension to Abbess Helewise and her relationship with Josse. I would not describe this as the most fiendish plot ever - despite the blurb on the back focussing on the flesh eating pigs! "And, with the removal of the dark lens imposed by the long burd ...more
Carole Moran
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Interesting, but not gripping, at least to me. From the Hawkenlye Mysteries, this book focuses more on Abbess Helewise's life before coming to the nunnery and less on the mystery, which is somewhat predictable. In spite of that, the Hawkenlye series is very readable. This one takes place in England in 1193.
William
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I loved the first seven Hawkenlye books, but I could barely finish this one. It took half the book before I even started to care about what was going to happen and even then, it never really grabbd me like the previous books.
Karen
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely wonderful book in a rather unfortunately inconsistent series. Well written with marvelous characters and a compelling mystery set in both the time of Abbess Helewise's youth and marriage before she comes to Hawkenlye and the current day, blending both seamlessly.
Ma'lis Wendt
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
The more Hawkenlye mysteries I read, the better I like the series.
Alissa Mccarthy
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a new spin on the series. Further insight into the Abbess' life prior to entering the abbey. A lovely, easy read.
This book was kindly sent by Gundula. Even if I'm not reading this series in any particular order, I'm enjoying quite a lot the stories with Abbess Helewise.
Jeannen
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
7th or 8th in the series that I discovered summer of 2006. There have been a couple in the series that I couldn’t get into, but this one has a good tight story.
Marg Corjay
May 08, 2009
MBP
Mar 26, 2010
Barbara Davis
rated it did not like it
Mar 26, 2015
Nov 16, 2017
Genevieve Chicka
Jul 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • The Murderer's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #6)
  • The Sticklepath Strangler (Knights Templar, #12)
  • The Field of Blood (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan #9)
Alys Clare is the pen name used by Elizabeth Harris for the Hawkenlye series of historical mysteries.

Alys Clare is the pseudonym of a novelist with some 20 published works to her name. Brought up in the countryside close to where the Hawkenlye Novels are set, she went to school in Tonbridge and later studied archaeology at the University of Kent. She lives for part of the year in Brittany, in a re
More about Alys Clare...

Hawkenlye Mysteries (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fortune Like the Moon (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #1)
  • Ashes of the Elements (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #2)
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • The Chatter of the Maidens (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #4)
  • The Faithful Dead (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #5)
  • A Dark Night Hidden (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #6)
  • Whiter Than the Lily (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #7)
  • Heart of Ice (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #9)
  • The Enchanter's Forest (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #10)
  • The Paths of the Air (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #11)