Start by marking “The Best Bride (Hometown Heartbreakers #1)” as Want to Read:
The Best Bride (Hometown Heartbreakers #1)

The Best Bride

(Hometown Heartbreakers #1)

With his sexy Stetson and X-rated grin, was Sheriff Travis Haynes Glenwood's leading lady-killer or Elizabeth Abbot and her daughter's knight in shining armour? Finally pulling her life back together, Elizabeth couldn't afford more heartbreak. Still, Travis was awfully tempting...

With every fragment of her betrayed heart, Elizabeth longed to trust the legendary lawman -
Paperback, Silhouette Special Edition #933, 256 pages
Published November 24th 1994 by Silhouette Special Edition

To ask other readers questions about The Best Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Bride

Start your review of The Best Bride (Hometown Heartbreakers #1)
Vintage
What started as an incredibly sweet second chance, small town romance was almost torpedoed to a one star by one of the dumbest, wishy washiest heroines ever. Can’t love the hunky sheriff because he’s just too sweet, sexy, loving to her daughter, etc…

She’s still sitting in the garden eating worms.

Still a three stars for the hero’s charm and his sweet relationship with the dumby’s adorable daughter.
Tracey Anderson
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven't read a lot of Susan Mallery's older books but having just finished this one and enjoying it very much has encouraged me to look at more of them. She has the ability to bring her characters to life and make the reader cheer for them. That hasn't changed over the years although I think her characters show a little more depth in more recent years. I love how she focuses on family and friendships.
Donna
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
After reading the re-issue of Completely Smitten, I decided to re-read the entire Hometown Heartbreaker series. This is the first book in the series, and isn't my favorite. Elizabeth is just incredibly annoying with all her insecurities and guilt. Travis is a likeable hero and the ending is clever and helps to redeem this book. I think the main problem with this book is that it is sixteen years old is just too dated to be really believable.
Christi
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Sometimes it's weird reading books that are obviously before easy access of cell phones and the internet (and still considered contemporary - not Little House on the Prairie). But this one still works. Very sweet. Travis was spectacular and Mandy was ADORABLE. I look forward to reading the other books within this series.
Susan
An older book from Susan Mallery, and a fantastic read. Elizabeth was trying to start over from a mistake that still held her in its grip. The last thing she wanted to do was trust another charming, good looking guy. But Travis seemed like a really nice man, who came to her rescue and was wonderful with her daughter. Travis loved women, but felt that he was unable to have a lasting commitment with anyone. His family was notorious for failed relationships. He really wanted to have a wife and ...more
Cheryl Cavanaugh
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Her harlequin books are great reads.
Jack Vasen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The Best Bride is the first in the Hometown Heartbreakers series. It tells a complete story and can stand alone. Other books in the series build on each other but also can be read alone. The piece that ties all the books in the series together is Earl Haynes. He is the father, either legitimate or not, of all but Austin(he is an honorary brother to the four who grew up in Earl's house).

Somehow, the edition I read is titled Best Bride (Hometown Heartbreakers 9933). It actually includes Kyle's
Kathleen Booker
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After learning her husband is married to another woman and has 2 children with her Elizabeth moves to new town with her little girl. She is pulled over for speeding by town Sheriff Travis Haynes (one of the 4 good looking Haynes men) and he realizes that she is sick. He takes her to hospital and then proceeds to take care of her and her little girl while she recovers from surgery. Of course, they fall in love but both will not admit it because of past heartbreaks and the curse on the Haynes men. ...more
Anna
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trust and love

To come from a marriage that was so controlling and being belittled can make your belief of what and who you are confused and unbelievable.
To start fresh in a new place and to raise a child is even more hard for a single mother with trust issues.
In this book Susan Mallery give the steps as Elizabeth grows through each day taking care of her daughter, work and making friends. But it's a long rode. In comes Travis, a handsome man with a smile that can make her heart beat a little
Marcia  Haskell
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Pain of a Single Mistake

I enjoyed this book, despite being continuously annoyed by this single mother’s belief that she had committed a crime by believing a liar. The repetition that she was at fault just wasn’t realistic to my mind. On the other hand, the depiction of a women who was being manipulated and isolated by a controlling husband was very strongly written.

I loved the gradual breakdown of long-held beliefs about himself by the hero. His recognition that he could love, not just a
Cindy Adair
Meh.

I love this author, but this particular story was not her best. The premise was unrealistic, the dialogue a little stilted, and the characters a little two dimensional. I thought more time was spent on the bedroom scenes than on truly developing the characters. While it had a rushed, happy ending, I was glad it was over. I will continue to read her books, but I won’t recommend this one.
Emily Higgins
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Three stories in one book. There are 4 Haynes brothers who believe that none of them is capable of love because their father was incapable of being faithful to his wife. Two of the brothers are featured in the first two stories. The third story was about the sister they did not know existed. The sister was illegitimate and adopted as an infant.
Coffeeworm
I borrowed the Kindle version of this from my library. This book has 3 stories from the Hometown Heartbreakers series. Unfortunately it's Book 1 , Book 3 and Book 7. I would have preferred that it contain the first 3 books instead of skipping around, so I would have seen how the characters had developed.
pamela moore
One in a series

While I thoroughly enjoyed this book it was hard for me to understand how the main character thought everyone even her parents wouldn't want anything to do with her once they know she was married to a man committing bigamy!
Moira
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can tell this was first released over 25 years ago. It's a sweet romance, lighthearted and easy to read. Susan Mallery has come a long way in her writing style. Some of the old fashioned descriptions of their relationship were amusing. All in all, a fun and quick read.
Diana H.
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
This series started back in 1995. It's romance - straight romance (no erotica involved). I have read this series multiple times and am reading again. Why? Because the family of characters really makes me happy when they each find their happily ever after.
Thank you to Susan Mallery.
Mum
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I really liked this story. I liked it enough to keep going with the series. The sheriff and his brothers are interesting. Our heroine has quite a story and everything keeps going wrong.
Julie
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2019
A classic Susan Mallery romance that was first published in 1994. As a lot of romances were in that timeframe, it's a bit dramatic, but it's still a love story with a Happily Ever After.
Theresa Power
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review

Another excellent book even when I started to read it I New I had read it before and kept reading
Moey17
Cute easy read!
charmaine White
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

This is your Saturday quintessential amazing read.Mystery,suspense and a has stopping romance.I laughed and I cried.But I couldn't put this one down until the end.
Tinadluxfamily.Com
Wonderful read

Four complete and connected stories. Family drama and love stories that you can't put down. A completely enjoyable read that brightens your outlook.
Linda Zelinsky
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A truly enjoyable and heartbreaking story. Really enjoyed Elizabeth and Travis. The hint of mystery made the story great. You couldn’t help but fall in love with Mandy.
Jeanie Jackson
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, xread-2017
So far I have only read the first book Marriage on Demand. It is a sweet and steamy Susan Mallery! Her books are always awesome. It is an early book so there are a few things that feel anachronistic but it is just the time they were written. It didn't take long to get my head back several decades.
June
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mallery and Haynes family fans
Shelves: adult, romance
Travis's story. Hometown sheriff ends up taking single mom and daughter under his wing.

Found it a bit hard to suspend disbelief.
Cruth
Author: Susan Mallery
First published: 1994
Length: 3660 kindle locations
Setting: Contemporary. Glenwood.
Sex: Explicit. Infrequent.
Hero: Sherrif
Heroine: Mother of one. Does something… bookkeeping?

Another odd relationship. Elizabeth is a guilt ridden mother, hiding from her past, having been married to a much older man who was already married (oops!). Travis is divorced and “love isn’t for him”. When she has appendicitis, he invites her and her daughter to stay, and then keeps her there, until she
Jiji
Jun 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
DNF- I totally got fed up when she confessed her dirty little secret. I thought that was ridiculous. The best way to cover up would have been to simply say her story without making a drama out of it “I was married. We are in the process of getting a divorce. Mandy’s father is in prison and I’d rather not talk about the reasons why.”
Being a bigamist is like being cheated on. Why does she keep on going on about how nobody will love her again and bla bla bla. How irritating!

I stopped reading when
Gwen S.
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Spoiler Alert!

The main characters, Travis and Elizabeth met during her speeding ticket/ruptured appendix, so being the sheriff of Glenwood, he cares for Mandy
, Elizabeth's daughter, while she recuperates from surgery. To go one step further, he takes care of her also, while slowly falling in love with her, yet telling her of his family's 'love 'em and leave 'em' motto. Of course they reconcile their differences once he realizes her hidden secret is that she married a bigamist.

Great character
Phyllis
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure about this series, seeing the covers kind of scared me. I know, we are not suppose to judge a book by its cover, but I secretly was. After reading about Travis & Elizabeth I stopped. The story of the Haynes family curse, not knowing how to be a husband or father or even stay married, you had to feel bad for Travis. Elizabeth had her own set of issues that kept her from feeling that she. could ever be involved again. Their meeting by him stopping her, he is the sheriff in town, ...more
Janeiowa
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an older book, but that is not the main problem.

There are three stories in this book. In the first the heroine, Elizabeth Abbott, is the problem. She's immature, self-centered, whiny, and annoying. She has this "big" secret that controls her life.

I couldn't finish the next two.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 24, 2017 10:34AM

• Always with Me
  • Coming Home for Christmas (Haven Point, #10)
  • Shelter From The Storm
  • Devlin (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes Book 1)
  • My Wildest Dream (Whisper Lake #2)
  • There Goes My Heart (Maine Sullivans, #2; The Sullivans, #20)
  • Christmas in Silver Springs (Silver Springs, #6)
  • The Lemon Sisters (Wildstone, #3)
  • Phillip (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes)
  • High-Risk Affair
  • The Valentine Two-Step (Outlaw Hartes, #1)
  • Christmas with a Cowboy (Longhorn Canyon, #5)
  • Jason (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes Book 2)
  • BROCK (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes Book 5)
  • Serving Up Trouble
  • Stone Bridges (Swift River Valley #9)
  • Roughing It With Ryan (South Village Singles, #1)
  • Trey (7 Brides for 7 Blackthornes)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery writes heartwarming and humorous novels about the relationships that define women's lives—family, friendship, romance. She's best known for putting nuanced characters into emotionally complex, real-life situations with twists that surprise readers to laughter. Because Susan is passionate about animal welfare, pets play a big role in her books. ...more

Hometown Heartbreakers (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Marriage on Demand (Hometown Heartbreakers, #2)
  • Father in Training (Hometown Heartbreakers, #3)
  • Part-Time Wife (Hometown Heartbreakers, #4)
  • Full-Time Father
  • Holly and Mistletoe (Hometown Heartbreakers, #6)
  • Husband by the Hour (Hometown Heartbreakers, #7)
  • Good Husband Material (Hometown Heartbreakers, #8)
  • Completely Smitten (Hometown Heartbreakers, #9)
  • One in a Million (Hometown Heartbreakers, #10)
  • Quinn's Woman (Hometown Heartbreakers, #11)