Start by marking “The Untold Story of Milk” as Want to Read:
The Untold Story of Milk

The Untold Story of Milk

The role of raw milk in the rise of civilization, the milk problem that led to compulsory pasteurization, the politics of the dairy industry. Revised and updated with the latest scientific studies documenting the safety and health benefits of raw milk.Raw milk is a movement whose time has come. This book will serve as a catalyst for that movement, providing consumers with ...more
512 pages
Published (first published March 25th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Untold Story of Milk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Untold Story of Milk

Start your review of The Untold Story of Milk
Gloria
Jul 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a passionate book about the value of raw milk and an expose of the forces that keep the public from embracing it. Schmid is an advocate for changing the laws and beliefs that presently support only pasteurized milk products. He examines health effects, illness beliefs, drug company influences, role of government, effect on farms, and more. Well stated, but this is heavy reading, not unlike a textbook. You just might want to buy your own cow after reading this.
Gerard Murphy
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set against the backdrop of a profit-driven health care industry; a worldwide community dying from preventable and treatable diseases; the historical and perennial suppression of the science of natural, biodynamic, and energy healing; and the unrelenting hegemonism of corporations, Dr. Ron Schmid's, 'The Untold Story of Milk' is an epic and masterful attestation to the timeless healing gift of milk - milk that is, in its raw, whole, unadulterated, unprocessed, and unpoliticized form.

The book is
Mike
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, farming
I work at a dairy farm in Massachusetts that sells raw milk, so I'm clearly biased in my outrageously positive opinion of this book. Thought I should spill the beans.

That said, Schmid does an excellent job of accomplishing precisely what his title advertises: telling an incredibly important (and fascinating!) story that has never succinctly been told. Since I began drinking raw milk a few years ago, I've talked about the choice with dozens of people. Until now, I could only piece together the
Gabrielle Farrell
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, favorites
The book begins with the history of milk in America, and all of the events leading up to the FDA's regulation of this fascinating, life-giving - or life-taking - white liquid. I wrote an essay for my English 102 class about the health concerns of raw milk, and this book was my primary resource. I never got beyond the first part of it because the first few chapters have so much information on the history of milk. Bottom line, it helps the reader gain a new perspective on raw milk, and it makes ...more
Roslyn
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've been drinking raw milk for over a decade and making my own kefir for three years. I knew it was good for me since I could actually drink it, but I had no idea just how good it was for me. (I spent most of my life thinking I was lactose intolerant as milk gave me gastrointestinal issues when I drank it, but then someone told me to try raw milk and voila no more issues. Ditto for my husband except pasteurized milk gave him dandruff not stomach aches.) Super cool to have more information on ...more
Kelly
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was pleased with the common sense approach to the facts that the author took. Looking at the studies and research without the prejudice of the dollars behind them is refreshing. Something I realized while reading, that I doubt the author intended is that in this "land of the free" we aren't nearly as free as we think! Too many regulations and too much government intervention into our lives have removed (maybe not entirely) our ability to choose foods that are wholesome and healthy, that also ...more
Lizzette
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wish I would have read this years ago. This book should be read by anyone that loves dairy products, I had no idea of the history of something as basic as milk. Politics and other big interests have affected even something such as milk and other fine dairy products. I now purchase my milk from a local farmer but to learn about the historical practices and even the current practices of conventional pasteurized/homogenized milk is quite disturbing.
Alison
May 16, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this book because of a recommendation at MDC. It covers the history and relevant facts behind the raw milk debate (coming from the raw milk is a superfood point of view). It was a lot of information which I didn't know before and it made me wish even more than we could get raw milk here (it's illegal to sell in Canada and although there are people who do it, there are none locally).
Mwalkes
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Please read this book if you think you are doing your children a favor by buying them "wholesome" milk in the store!

After finishing it, I predict that you, like me, will change your mind and try to find a farmer that raises pasture-fed cows that provide Grade A organic raw whole milk.

Thank heavens we have someone in our area who makes the effort to provide it for us!
Martha Smith
Nov 29, 2011 rated it did not like it
I thought I might like this book. But sadly, it was just one homeopathic physician's crusade to convince Americans that raw milk is the way to go. Dr. T. Collin Campbell's book The China Study is based on sound scientific evidence that spans 4 decades. He demonstrates the dangers of milk. I highly recommend everyone read the China Study and watch the documentary Forks Over Knives.
Lynn
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A clear concise read that explains why we have pasteurized milk as the standard today. It also allays fears about raw milk, describing how raw milk is a super food packed with bioavailable nutrition. It also uncovers the shameful treatment of cows in factory farms, producing sick cows that give sick milk. Pasteurized milk is not clean, it's just full of dead bacteria. Euw.
Kelly
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting book about the history of milk in our country and the benefits of raw vs. pasteurized. I recommend it to any milk lover who wants to know more about the milk they pour in their glass.
Andrea
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biology, food, non-fiction
There is a lot of information here! I have to admit I mostly skimmed this book because I'm already convinced that raw milk from a farmer you trust is the purest, most delicious, most healthful milk on the planet. If you want to be convinced, pick up this book.
Melissa
Feb 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
a very informative book. mademe change our diets a bit too.
Olwen
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nutrition, health
Erin
Oct 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
excellent.
Jenn Cherry
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a really informative book - I really enjoyed the history and research (that seemed pretty balanced) - it really helped me to learn a great deal as I consider the whole raw milk idea.
Caitlin
Jun 28, 2014 rated it liked it
exhaustive. very informative though dry and tedious at times. have since started drinking raw milk.
Jackie Bridgen
Jan 25, 2011 is currently reading it
Finally retrieved this book from the friend who borrowed it after dh finished reading it, and am happy to have something to get my teeth into. As it were.
Bethany Lieferman

• Child of the Morning
  • Stardust
  • Beyond Bacon: Paleo Recipes that Respect the Whole Hog
  • Food Is Your Best Medicine: The Pioneering Nutrition Classic
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Dissolving Illusions
  • Atlas Shrugged
  • Passion-Driven Education: How to Use Your Child's Interests to Ignite a Lifelong Love of Learning
  • The Fountainhead
  • Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure It