Start by marking “Faith at the Edge: A Book for Doubters” as Want to Read:
Faith at the Edge: A Book for Doubters

Faith at the Edge: A Book for Doubters

Have you ever doubted your faith? Have you ever, deep down in your heart, doubted that God was really present in your life? Or wondered whether everything you believed in as a Christian was false? / Call it existential doubt. Call it “the dark night of the soul,” as one Christian saint famously did. Whatever you call it, it’s real. It is personal, it is painful, it is dist ...more
Published October 23rd 2009 by Eerdmans (first published October 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Faith at the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith at the Edge

Lynn Joshua
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This collection of thoughts on 'the dark night of the soul' is short and some parts are too simplistic and not particularly helpful, but it is all gently written and reassuring. There were many excellent reminders and encouraging insights.
I especially appreciated these ideas:
1. There is a reason for God choosing to withdraw His presence, or to let us experience agonizing questions and doubts. One reason may be to rid us of pride and self-assuredness, and give us humility.
2. We must keep on in
Kari
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Wennberg was one of my favorite college professors. He encourages us to think of ourselves as "believers tempted to doubt, not doubters tempted to believe." His work is theoretically and practically helpful for anyone who has experienced "the dark night of the soul."
Jen
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty short text, which is nice, and it doesn't hammer its point, which is also nice. Wennberg is very clear that this is a book for those who are doubting within the faith; he's not writing to those who are skeptical about the whole thing, because that's a different kind of conversation. He's actually very clear about most of the parameters within which he's working, which the academic part of me appreciates.

Wennberg's book isn't the best thing since sliced bread, for sure, but it d
Steve
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
An important topic, and Wennberg deserves much credit for tackling the issue. However, for a book on a subject that carries such emotion and angst for both doubters and those who know doubters, his highly academic style is very off-putting and ultimately not helpful. For pastors or similar caregivers to read and understand some of the reasons for doubt and how doubt can be accepted, even celebrated, and made an integral part of faith, there is useful information to be gleaned. For the one actual ...more
Megan
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual
This is a book for doubters, those who most likely grew up inside the Christian faith but have questions. I sought this book out because I was looking for something to help me through my own doubts. And while I appreciated some of the things Weinberg discussed, like not letting doubt completely overtake your life, the text was written in such dry textbook language it was a slog to get through. Reading this felt like reading a textbook on the philosophy of doubt. And it wasn’t really the book I w ...more
Dianne Oliver
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
simple, refreshing, encouraging. I recommend this for anyone who has, or knows someone, who struggles with "the dark night of the soul", which is explained as being far from unbelief, but a pulling away, by God, of ones overwhelming sense of certainty. He describes this as being a form of asset, however painful, in growing humility and in tenacity of respect for God.
Adam Omelianchuk
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A superb reflection on doubt in the life of faith.
Joe
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: topical
This is a fantastic book. It's a short book that broadly covers topics without going into depth, but I did not find it to be a shallow reading at all.
Moses Operandi
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really good. Straightforward, simple, helpful. Will revisit.
Ron
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church
great book on doubt, what it means to your faith, and how to deal with it.
Chris
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book by one of my teachers at Westmont. I like he acknowledges the challenge of doubt and how to deal with it.
Dafydd Job