Start by marking “Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)” as Want to Read:
Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)

Anne of Windy Poplars

(Anne of Green Gables #4)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  65,207 ratings  ·  1,851 reviews
Anne Shirley has left Redmond College behind to begin a new job and a new chapter of her life away from Green Gables. Now she faces a new challenge: the Pringles. They're known as the royal family of Summerside--and they quickly let Anne know she is not the person they had wanted as principal of Summerside High School. But as she settles into the cozy tower room at Windy P ...more
Published December 1st 1983 by Turtleback Books (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Windy Poplars, please sign up.
Loren I think it's partly because the focus of her story isn't so much Anne and Gilbert's romance as it is Anne's adventures with the characters in…moreI think it's partly because the focus of her story isn't so much Anne and Gilbert's romance as it is Anne's adventures with the characters in Summerside. The romance is set, the readers know it's there, there's no need to elaborate. It also is Montgomery's gentle humor and a chance to let the readers imagine the flowery, mushy stuff Anne might have written without having to wade through it. (less)
Dua-e-Zehra This is the fourth part which is the longest and borest one. It would be better if you read its abridged form or summary after reading Anne Of The…moreThis is the fourth part which is the longest and borest one. It would be better if you read its abridged form or summary after reading Anne Of The Island and then read Anne Of House Of Dreams.(less)

·  65,207 ratings  ·  1,851 reviews

Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Oh Anne, you wonderfully bold and beautiful gal
Life owes me something more than it has paid me and I’m going out to collect it…
I just love seeing the woman Anne's grown into. She's finished college, runs her own little school and is in constant correspondence with her fiance, Gilbert.
“Gilbert, I'm afraid I'm scandalously in love with you.”
For the first time, we have a bit of switching perspectives - Anne in third person throughout the novel and in first person as we read her letters to
Maureen
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Possibly 3.5/5 but idk yet.
I still really enjoyed this book because Anne is my FAVE, but I think the back and forth between her letters to Gilbert and third person narrative was a little bit much. I didn't really love that switch and I missed Gilbert throughout this book, though I understand why he wasn't in it!
I still love Anne as a character DEARLY and I will honestly love her forever. She is so kind and compassionate and lovely and just EVERYTHING.
Melki
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"Nobody is ever too old to dream. And dreams never grow old."

I see by the reviews that a lot of Anne-fans are disappointed in this one. On this, my third reading, I must admit that I was, too. I think it is the lack of the "old familiar." Anne is away, serving as principal of a school in Summerside. Gilbert is far, far away, studying medicine. Other than letters, there is no repartee between the two. Avonlea, and her beloved residents, is only visited during the holidays and summer breaks.

There
Anne
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one. I think at the beginning I was a little skeptical, especially since Montgomery kept omitting the parts where Anne "had the right pen" to write love letters to Gilbert. I wanted to READ Anne's love letters!

But for all that, I loved the characters in this book. Rebecca Dew cracked me up, as did Aunt Kate and Aunt Chatty, with their buttermilk secrets; Dusty Miller the cat; Katherine Brooke; Nora Nelson and Jim Wilcox; little Elizabeth; Cyrus Taylor (oh, but that was a hilarious e
Jo
I am pretty disappointed with this one. I mean, in comparison to the first three books in this series, this one was rather weak. Unfortunately, it just didn't keep me interested enough to thoroughly enjoy it, even if this series is reminiscent to my childhood.
The writing itself was lacking any kind of interesting description, the plot was confusing and pretty much all over the place and for me, telling the story through half written letters to Gilbert, really didn't work.
I do enjoy the Anne of g
Tiffany
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anne fans
Shelves: fiction
In a word....disappointing. It was good enough to finish. but it took 2 or 3 weeks to get through. This is a good indication of my interest level, because really great books keep me up at night until I finish them. This one....not so much.

I didn't care for the style--half letters from Anne to Gilbert, and half third-person, with no good reason to switch back and forth between the two. There are a ton of new characters, but the sheer volume precludes any satisfying character development. Anne see
Elaina
~4.5 stars~

I wasn’t too sure about how I would like this book once I realized that most of it was just Anne’s letters to Gilbert—But I was pleasantly surprised by how much I did enjoy it! It could definitely be a little slow in some areas, and I don’t think it is in any way my favorite out of the series as a whole, but I am still glad I decided to continue on with this beautiful series that L.M. Montgomery has created ^_^ I am looking forward to reading the fifth book really soon because of (vie
E.F.B.
4.5 stars!

I. LOVE. THESE. BOOKS. Are they perfect? No. Are they very much enjoyable nevertheless? YES!

Things I liked:

I really loved Anne’s newfound maturity in this book. She’s still the young, imaginative, energetic, loving, enthusiastic Anne we know and love, but the life lessons she learned in the previous book have settled in and I really liked how grounded she was, and how secure in her engagement to Gilbert. Unlike in the previous book, there was never a time when I wanted to take her by
Manybooks
Now while Lucy Maud Montgomery's Anne of Windy Poplars is considered the fourth of the Anne of Green Gables stories according to the timeline of Anne Shirley's life (and describes with both meticulously descriptive detail and often very much delightful, sometimes even wickedly hilarious humour her three years teaching at a girl's academy in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, whilst her fiancé Gilbert Blythe is studying to be a doctor), Anne of Windy Poplars is actually the second to last novel of ...more
Celeste
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full (mini) review now posted!

I have a soft spot for epistolary novels. I love getting someone’s innermost thoughts in their own words. This book was a hybrid, half epistolary and half regular novel. But it’s all Anne Shirley in all of her glory, enjoying a new home and profession and conglomeration of interesting neighbors. If I had to choose one word to describe this novel, that would would be shenanigans. Seriously, Anne gets into so many uncomfortable, hilarious situations, and witnesses her
Britany
So far, this is my favorite Anne book in the series.

I fell head over heels listening to this book on audio. A cast of characters that exceeded any cast in the series so far (which is hard to believe-- I know). Anne goes to Summerside to be a principal while her betrothed Gilbert is in med school. The book is mostly comprised of letters to Gilbert about the goings-on in Summerside. Rebecca Dew might just be my absolute favorite character in the series so far. I just loved her and her snarky ways
Angela R. Watts
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I finished it.

-- The writing was... lacking description quite a few times. It also was all over the place. I didn't see much need for the formatting of telling stories through the letters. I didn't like that too much.
-- It was rather pointless... I love the Anne books and will finish the series, of course, but this was like a little book of stories I really didn't care about. There were a ton of characters. 90% of them were totals jerks so I was speed-reading most of the time.
Overall, I didn't
Beth
I just adore Anne in this installment of the series. She has grown up substantially but still retains her "Anne-ness." She still gets into a bit of trouble every now and then, and she has a lovely way with words, but she's a bit less dramatic and a bit more aware of her own faults.

I also enjoyed that parts of the story are told through letters from Anne to Gilbert. I love epistolary style stories, so that aspect really appeals to me. It would have been neat to see a letter from Gilbert to her, s
Jeanette
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it
After reading Anne of the Island, my favorite book in the Anne series, Anne of Windy Poplars always seems to fall a little flat for me.
Anne and Gilbert are engaged and while Gilbert is off at medical school, Anne has taken a job as principal at Summerside High School.
Much of this book is made up of letters from Anne to Gilbert. I just wish there was more of Gilbert in this story like maybe some of his letters to Anne. L.M. Montgomery rarely wrote much from the hero's side in her books, something
MAP
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Please someone tell me if I'm crazy....Did Anne Shirley and a student named Lewis meet with a ghost, take a picture of him, and then when they found out he was a ghost, they took in total stride and gave the picture to his father?

Did that seriously happen in this book? Or did some of my pages have LSD on them?
Audrey
Anne is finished at College and is now the Principal of Summerside High School. She writes to her beloved Gilbert who is continuing his education to become a medical doctor. Anne shares her experiences with the colorful and eccentric folks at Summerside. This is another charming story that will delight all readers.
Darcy
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anne Shirley is without a doubt my dearest fictional friend.
Kavita
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canada
Anne has now landed a job as the principal of a school in Summerside. How did young girls get these nice positions?! Were there so few educated people that they just handed out jobs on a platter? These were really the good ole days! Anne finds a lovely place called Windy Poplars to board in with two old women and their housekeeper. Of course, the Pringle clan is a thorn on her side, but nothing can keep Anne down for too long.

This is a really delightful book and I enjoyed most of the new charact
Ferdy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't care about all the new characters, there were way too many of them and none of them stood out. They also felt pointless as it was obvious Anne would probably never hear or see from most of them again. The Summerside setting wasn't all that great either, it didn't match up to the homeyness of Green Gables/Avonlea. And when is Anne going to fully pursue her writing career? The teaching has been done to death.
Aria
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one definitely isn't my favorite out of the series. It IS quite amusing, but most interesting when it's read the first time.
Sara Saif
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Coming back to this series after two whole years was a sweet, nostalgic and much-needed punch in the feels. I was sighing with contentment the minute I started it if that’s possible. This series has been an absolute delight so far.

I smiled.

“I’m glad I don’t live in Yesterday … the Tomorrow is still a friend.”

I giggled.

“There go more italics! But a few italics really do relieve your feelings.”

I LOL-ed.

“There used to be a stone here for his uncle Samuel, who was reported drowned at sea fif

Leah
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction

Ok, I have loved all of the books in this series so far, however, this one was a little...how shall I say this - eh. That's what it was. Eh.

Anne writes lots of letters to Gilbert, but we never get to see any letters that Gil writes to her. Also, lots of new characters are introduced in this book and I wonder how on earth Anne is going to keep up with all these people.

Also, Anne has officially turned into the perfect person who changes the life of everyone she meets. Honestly, does this woman hav
Manisha
My love for Anne is boundless.

I was pleasantly surprised with this book. The format was different from the previous books, which helped greatly since Anne and Gilbert were separated during this novel.

Honestly, the highlight for every single novel in this series is Anne. Anne, who is unapologetically herself. Anne, who triumphs over adversity. Anne, who is good and kind.

Characters like her become fewer with each passing year. It's an awful thought, because we must all strive to be Anne Shirley
E.B. Dawson
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
As much as I love L.M. Montgomery, Anne Shirley, and creative storytelling, I struggled with this book a bit. The format was very different, seeing almost half of it is told in Anne's letters to Gilbert. Now, I'm not necessarily opposed to characters rehashing events for the reader (Tolkien does it brilliantly with Legolas in Return of the King), but it has to be done right. There has to be a good reason to hear the story from the character. I didn't feel like Anne telling these stories to Gilbe ...more
Megan Baxter
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've said before that Emily is my favourite Montgomery heroine, and that holds. But that doesn't mean I don't have a huge soft spot for Anne and her life. She is much more domestic in orientation, at least in every book after this one, and that has its appeal. Ordinary life is painted in such vivid and interesting colours that it leaps off the page, putting the lie to the idea that such things are beneath our proper notice.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goo
Gracelyn Buckner
4.5 Stars

I've been reading through the Anne series, but I decide to skip this one this time-again. Anne of Windy Poplars never interested me nearly as much as the other books, but once I finally read it, it was a really good book. Just not in the mood to read it this time.
Olivia
Just as amazing as others in this series? Maybe not. Just as gripping as the others? Yes! While there are parts here and there that seemed slightly unnecessary to the story, I still enjoyed this one nearly as much as her others. Montgomery fills her books with wild imaginations, quirky characters, hysterical humour, and all the while keeping with Anne's characters. The every day life is what we all experience, and this is especially presented in this book.

Gilbert is only in this one briefly, bu
Theresa
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well...LMM does it again. Anne Shirley, once of Green Gables, has completely stolen my heart in her next adventure.

Now at Windy Poplars, Anne is older, wiser, and school principal. The book is told half through letters to Gilbert Blythe and half third person narration. My only problem with this was all the love letters were excluded, and I really missed Gilbert in this book. Once Anne's competition and own worst enemy is now the love of her life. I couldn't be happier about this, because I've be
Lady
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, favorites
Anne has morphed into Mary Sue. In other news, bears shit in the woods.

I'm beginning to believe that LM Montgomery wrote the Anne books as an escapist fantasy for herself, as Anne is so utterly impossible a creature - with Anne's background, she would be permanently damaged psychologically, and this happy horseshit of "Oh, [insert name here]! Isn't [insert random natural phenomenon here] wonderful? Isn't it splendid to know that tomorrow will always come?" is simply unbelievable.

People like Kath
Holly
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
Oct 2018: This might be my favorite one yet, even over Anne of Green Gables! A lot of it is her letters to Gilbert, but I have always enjoyed books that use letters to tell the story. This one was fun too, because it would tell part of the story, then have Anne's letter to tell some part of her perspective, which I found to be charming.

I wish we had some letters back from Gilbert to Anne, because he was the only thing truly missing from this book.

The characters were so much more interesting an
Around the Year i...: Anne of Windy Poplars, by L.M. Montgomery 1 12 Oct 01, 2018 02:17PM
Play Book Tag: Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery 3 stars 1 12 Nov 05, 2017 10:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: Anne of Windy Poplars 3 19 Jul 08, 2017 08:02AM
Play Book Tag: Anne of Windy Poplars by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars 1 11 Jun 10, 2017 02:38PM
Audiobooks: New Anne of green gables audio 1 39 May 04, 2017 10:32AM
Kindred Spirits: The famous Pringle Pound Cake!! 2 32 Mar 23, 2015 12:07PM
Anne of Green Gables 5 52 Mar 29, 2014 07:48AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy, #10)
  • Under the Lilacs
  • Pulpecja (Jeżycjada, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Road to Yesterday (Anne of Green Gables, #9)
“Gilbert, I'm afraid I'm scandalously in love with you.” 170 likes
“I hate to lend a book I love…it never seems quite the same when it comes back to me…” 132 likes