Start by marking “Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)” as Want to Read:
Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)

Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables #3)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  103,705 Ratings  ·  2,456 Reviews
New adventures lie ahead as Anne Shirley packs her bags, waves good-bye to childhood, and heads for Redmond College. With old friend Prissy Grant waiting in the bustling city of Kingsport and frivolous new pal Philippa Gordon at her side, Anne tucks her memories of rural Avonlea away and discovers life on her own terms, filled with surprises...including a marriage proposal ...more
Published November 1st 1983 by BANTAM BOOKS (first published 1915)

Maureen
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH MY HEART.

I love Anne and I love Gilbert and I love everyone and I love these books.

Following Anne's story has made me SO HAPPY it's just so lovely and I can't deal with how good this series is.

Anne at college and all her adventures are so lovely. <3

I have no other words besides that I love these books.
April (Aprilius Maximus)
THAT LAST PARAGRAPH OMG I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP
Samantha
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how much I absolutely adore this one!
Chelsea
My sentimental favorite of the Anne series. I always thought college was going to be just like that - my best friends, a cute little house in a great neighborhood, and my childhood friend, madly in love with me. Anne is one of my favorite literary heroines, and I liked her transition between girlhood and adulthood. She's grown out of classic Anne of Green Gables, but she's still the same person.

I must have read this book 30 times, and it never gets any less fun. It's one of my top 5 comfort book
Melki
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Ah . . . more comfort food in the form of a book.

description

After an eventful summer, changes are in store for Anne as she prepares to leave Avonlea for Redmond College.

Anne dressed in the cheerless gray dawn, for an early start was necessary to catch the boat train; she struggled against the tears that would well up in her eyes in spite of herself. She was leaving the home that was so dear to her, and something told her that she was leaving it forever, same as a holiday refuge. Things would never be the s
Becky
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jo
"In imagination she sailed over storied seas that wash the distant shining shores of "faery lands forlorn," where lost Atlantis and Elysium lie, with the evening star for pilor, to the land of Hearts Desire. And she was richer in those dreams than in realities; for things seen pass away, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

Dear Lucy Maud,

[Censored]

Always,
J.

Mrs Gardner,
You called your son Royal?
ROYAL?
What is wro
Elaina
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! :D :D :D :D

I loved this book SOOOOO much!! Probably as much as the first book, if not maybe even a little bit more! :)) It was really hard at first to determine which one I liked better, but I think I like Anne of the Island more since she just starts college and all ^_^ I felt like I could relate to her and the things she went through more in this book. There were so many little, tiny things that I enjoyed about this book, but the main thing I loved…....(I think you can gues
Naomi Sarah
Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

How did I ever rate this book less than five stars???!!!!! It was brilliant. No, more than that. It was captivating, thrilling, and so emotional. I don't know why I got so emotional while reading this. I almost yelled out loud, and I cried about five times. GAH. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. Where has my love for it been all my life?!!! Why have I not read this 20 times yet?!!!! I loved it to bits. Definitely a new all-time-favourite.

I loved it, okay?!!!!
mich
Holy crap, do you guys know what this is?! It’s a New Adult book that was written ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO! (Seriously, that’s what this is!) I had no idea this sub-genre existed back then, lol!

College? Check. Relationship drama and angst? Check. Sassy, funny girlfriend? Check. Handsome, cocky love interest? Che— Wait, NO. No, no, nope! Move over all you hot, arrogant assholes, cuz Gilbert Blythe blows ALL of you out of the fricken water!

I totally loved this. LOVED. THIS.

Love love love love love :
Laurence R.
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE
Britany
Anne is a little older and goes to school at Redmont with her friend, Prissy. Along the way they meet Phillippa Gordon (who may be my favorite character so far in the series, I mean besides Anne of course!). Phil, Prissy, and Anne find a house to let -- quaint and practically perfect. The house is called Patty's Place and they all soon move in. They find themselves with three cats- a fireplace, and imagination which makes for a lovely setting. Anne is trying to figure out what love is and how sh ...more
Megan Larson
When I get to heaven, I want to meet Lucy Maud Montgomery! What insight the woman had, and what depth. I loved the first book for its tenderness and vitality, the second for its insight and humor. This book had all of those things, but added something more--tremendous depth. I believe the theme of this book is maturity, and the old characters as well as some new ones gain and display this quality without making the book at all dry or humorless--it is quite the opposite. Of course, there are othe ...more
kris
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Shirley goes to Redmond, makes friends, discovers boys are A Thing, and returns to Green Gables and Avonlea which she is startled to realize no longer feel quite like home.

Every time I try to approach these books logically to provide a thorough critique and commentary on them, my soul cries out and I'm left clutching fistfuls of tears shouting about my childhood. There's something so intrinsically linked to who I was when I first read them that I can't separate myself from them.

It's just
Anita
It's a sad reminder how times change when you approach the bookstore with a gleam in your eye of rediscovering a childhood favorite only to find that they no longer carry it. That was my recent experience where instead of finding Laura Ingalls Wilder and L.M. Montgomery I found vampires, sorcery, and scantily clad teenagers glaring at me from overly bright and shiny bookcovers.
I will not claim that the Anne series is monumental fiction but it was too me. I wonder if youth today are getting in th
The Book Queen
PERFECT. This book is my favourite in the series, if only for that ending. I fangirl-squee every time I read it, and I never fangirl-squee.

P.S. I love Anne and Gilbert together and Gilbert is wonderful
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks
Continuing my friendship with Anne with the third book in the series, I had the same surefire calm vacation experience as I've done reading the ones before. There's not much to be said about a new Anne book - other than the fact that if you've enjoyed one of them, you'll probably enjoy another too. There was only one thing slightly off in this one for me - it's supposed to be a book about Anne in college. And yet - Anne's college goes by without... any college. I feel like we don't hear about it ...more
Beth
I loved going away to college with Anne. Her life there with her friends at Patty's Place just exudes charm and cozy-feelings. Of course, I was thrilled with the happily-ever-after, while completely relating to Anne's nostalgia about days gone by. I think Anne, and myself, needed the reminder that even when it's sad to leave the former things behind, there are always good things to come. Anne is such an indescribably charismatic character, one that is sincere and lovely to be around. The seconda ...more
Degeorgetown
After this book the series has lost its charm, I don't think I'll read any of the other books. This wasn't exactly a bad book... just kind of tedious. It takes place over 3 years and goes between Anne being at college and at Green Gables.

The best part: Anne and Gilbert finally get together!

The good part: It's fun to see Anne and her friends making a home out of Patty's place, even if her new friend Phil is extremely annoying.

The bad part: Davy is still disturbing to read about. He cries because
Colleen Martin
This was pretty disappointing. Lucy Maud spends WAY too much time describing unimportant incidentals, like when Anne spends a summer teaching in Valley Road (I had to Google the name of the town because I couldn't for the life of me remember it, so what's that tell you about how riveting the chapter was?). It had absolutely no relevance to the story and the only thing I recall about it was that the woman driving the cart was flat-out obnoxious. "Jog along, black mare!" Ugh, it's like fingernails ...more
Ferdy
It was pretty good, but Anne was too much of an idiot in this for me to fully like her, thankfully she got some brain cells by the end. Also, everything seemed way too rushed and plot driven, there wasn't as much fleshing out of characters and setting compared to the first two books.
Krista
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-fiction
I just love this one! The last scene has got to be my favorite of all!!
Audrey
I had forgotten how delightfully humorous this book was. But as Anne grows up and leaves for college there is also lessons to learn and heartache to face. This is another favorite that can be enjoyed many times over.
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with Anne of Prince Edward Island when I was 13. I remember that summer vividly. I brought home each book in the series from the library and read them avidly. Anne and her simple troubles were such a contrast to my divorcing/fighting parents.

I was looking for a way to avoid my summer/homework reading (an assignment from our principal) when I spotted an Anne book on my classroom bookshelf. I snarfed it up.

I was once told that the definition of a classic novel was a book which could
steph
Review June 2017:

This book is delightful. I refer to it as Anne, the college years. I love her time at Redmond, Patty's Place, her visit to Bolingbroke, etc. I laughed at the trying-to-chloroform-the-cat scene even though I probably shouldn't. And oh, Anne and Gil in here. Anne and Gilbert.....just...gah. THOSE LAST TWO CHAPTERS ARE A ROLLER COASTER OF EMOTIONS. "Anne, don't look like that -don't look like that!" - is such a tug on the heartstrings. And then, "I don't want sunbursts and marble h
˗ˏˋ maja ˎˊ˗
aaaa końcówka <3
Liisa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, childrens, 2017
Following Annes life continues to be as entertaining as ever. Something that made this installment extra interesting is that Anne is about the same age as me and it was quite fun to compare our situations. Also loved all the new characters (Phil especially) and the ending made me tear up. Going to pick up the next one soon as I just cant seem to resist Montgomerys utterly lovely books! ...more
Fatemeh Nazari
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب سوم را خيلى زودتر از دو كتاب قبلى تمام كردم. البته همچنان كتاب دوم را بيشتر دوست دارم، اما قطعا وقتى پاى ماجراهاى عشقى درميان باشد عطش آدم براى خواندنش بيشتر مى شود.
گيلبرت كه بعد از متيو دوست داشتنى ترين شخصيتِ مردِ داستان است، در اين كتاب خودش و عشقش به آنه حضور بيشترى دارند.
دوستى هاى جديد، تجربه هاى جديد در ردموند، رقابت ها و حسادت هاى عشقى كارى مى كند كه آدم نتواند كتاب را زمين بگذارد :)
احتمالا كتابِ چهارم كه ديگر آنه نامزد شده است فضاى جديدترى و تجربه نشده اى برايم دارد...
Malihe bayat
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
جلد سه هم اونقدی خوب بود که بخوام ۴ رو هم بخونم.
ولی واقعا دوست داشتم این سری کتاب رو تو سن ۱۳ الی ۱۶ خونده بودم :)
Obsidian
When I first started reading the Anne of Green Gables series I was a pre-teen. I had never left my hometown at that point, and knew that Canada lay north. I imagined that Canada was just the Niagara Falls because that's all I ever saw about it on television. To read a story about an orphaned girl that comes to live with a brother and sister and slowly worms her way into the hearts of them and her neighbors living on Prince Edward Island in the 1900s.

I chose to read book #3 of the series because
Around the Year i...: Anne of The Island, by L.M. Montgomery 1 12 Sep 23, 2017 10:33PM
Play Book Tag: Anne of the Island by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars 1 13 Jun 04, 2017 04:53PM
Goodreads Librari...: Can't add edition 2 18 May 02, 2016 10:31AM
Kindred Spirits: Anne of the Island 8 35 Oct 25, 2015 01:21PM
Goodreads Librari...: Same ISBN, differnt publisher or publicatins 2 14 Jan 23, 2015 11:16AM
Grown up 5 148 Oct 04, 2014 12:23PM
  • Betsy and Joe (Betsy-Tacy, #8)
  • An Old-Fashioned Girl
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • Just Patty
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Ida sierpniowa (Jeżycjada, #4)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • The Road to Yesterday (Anne of Green Gables, #9)
“Anne laughed.

"I don't want sunbursts or marble halls, I just want you.”
599 likes
“All life lessons are not learned at college,' she thought. 'Life teaches them everywhere.” 330 likes