Start by marking “A Wild Pursuit (Duchess Quartet, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Wild Pursuit (Duchess Quartet, #3)

A Wild Pursuit

(Duchess Quartet #3)

Could it be that she wanted his kiss as much as she longed to give hers?

It is whispered behind the fans of London's dowagers and in the corners of fashionable ballrooms that scandal follows willfully wild Lady Beatrix Lennox wherever she goes. Three years before, the debutante created a sensation by being found in a distinctly compromising position. Now, the ton has brande
Mass Market Paperback, 381 pages
Published February 24th 2004 by Avon

Lindsay
"The romance between Beatrix Lennox and Stephen Fairfax-Lacey was, to me, the least compelling of the plot strands in this novel. That isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it, just that I found the continuing story of Esme and Bonnington, and the dysfunctional relationship between Helene and Rees more interesting.

Once again James juggles a large cast of characters very well. A house party setting can seem a bit claustrophobic but after having read romances where the characters seem constantly to be
Katie
So, this isn't really historical romance. It's historical chick lt. Which is pretty awesome! The romance in the blurb--Bea/Stephen--didn't feel like that large a part of the plot. Which I suppose is a flaw--I didn't think there was enough there for them to fall in loooove--but I enjoyed the book too much overall for that to bother me.

The friendships are great and there are cool self-realizations for the wonderful female characters and lots of fun schemes and plots, mostly centered around poor St
Zoe (Attic Salt Reviews)
Another sweet and endearing bodice ripper to get me through the week. I, once again, loved all the characters and how their different stories seemed to flow together so effortlessly.
The one thing I could possibly fault with A Wild Pursuit would be the endless cat and mouse that seemed to constantly flip on its head. One moment one woman is chasing a man, the next she is chasing another and the first man wants her. I got a bit dizzy by the end.

Other than that, it was another perfect read from El
A.M.
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esme Rawlings, the even more heavily pregnant and recently widowed duchess is holding another house party. Problem is, the Marquess of Bonnington is slumming it up pretending to be one of her gardeners. He’s got quite good at it and gained some muscle since the last book when she was in the early days of her pregnancy. The baby is due any day now and Sebastian is still hoping that the baby is his, not her dead husband’s. It’s a tricky situation; he grappled with the husband Miles, in Esme’s bedc ...more
Lori McD
Sue
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio, regency
Glad this was a library read, narrated by Justine Eyre. So slow, so lacking in gumption that the only reason why I continued was because I had already invested to much time into it and only my ears were involved. The Narration was actually quite good, but a good narrator can only take material so far.

This plot really had some decent opportunities that is squandered, if EJ ever considered a rewrite, which I know some authors have done for earlier works. I'd recommend a bit more scandal (just tigh
Felicia
Aug 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this out of order. I wish Amazon would have series lists so I don't have to spend 15 minutes figuring out order and then blindly getting whatever. Suffice it to say this book is YUMMALICIOUS! I love loved it, I liked the characters, lots of plots going on and besides a slightly weak ending it was very enjoyable. Will be reading the other 3 around these characters ASAP!
Claire
Apr 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Vaguely reminds me of the Decameron, assorted people assembled in a country villa where they passed time exchanging tales of nonsense, in case of this book however, sampling lives of nonsense. Like, if author thought this out, there's nothing remotely romantic and everything absolutely insane, making love in the field where the goat, sheep and other farm animals gambol. (Think dung in the unmentionables.)

Too many secondary characters cluttering up the plot.
Thenia
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked the book but Esme and her idiotic reactions got on my nerves. Sebastian is not stuck up anymore and I like his determination.

Bea and Stephen make a good couple, but for some reason their story didn't touch me that much.

Looking forward to Rees and Helene's story.
Maria
Apr 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was not sure after finishing this book whether to file it under historical romance or science fiction-fantasy. A set of more hedonistic unappealing characters I could not have dreamed up. Lady Bonnington was the character that saved the book from being utter trash, and she was only a supporting character. Amoral at best and immoral at worst, the characters came across as ladies of ill repute rather than ladies of the beau monde. Nothing to admire here. As for the plot. Honestly, a goat?
Julier
Melodramatic- like a farcical play - feigned relationships for a variety of reasons. And it went on and on...... I gave it 3 stars based on the skill of the narrator to keep me listening until I finished despite the silly characters and plot!
Ro
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Actual rating: 2.5/5 but rounded down to 2/5
Jeannessa
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The characters are a bit vulgar for my taste. The continuing story of all of the other characters is still fun though. Just not a fan of reading about main characters that are quite so... Shallow? Base? Without morals?
Dayna
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beatrix and Stephen were two wonderfully rich characters and I loved getting to know them. They had great chemistry and still managed to have a wonderful romance despite the messiness of the whole situation they were thrust into.

I liked that Bea was in a lot of ways strong and wholly herself, yet was balanced by very relatable fears and experiences as well. Despite her experience she was also naïve and innocent in a lot of ways, and it was great to see Stephen bring those things out in her.

Steph
Melissa
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-reads
As it turns out, Esme gets half a book to herself and her naughty gardener (she's been slumming a la DH Lawrence, though we are thankfully spared ridiculous sentiments about naming body parts). She and Bonnington provide half the romantic intrigue in the book while Bea and Stephen have the other half (and then the foursome becomes entangled due to everyone's inability to be honest about their feelings and Esme's mommy issues - her mother is dreadful).

I do have to agree with Bea on the subject of
Gail
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of a double story going on here. A Member of Parliament who’s spent his whole life concentrating on politics is burning out and accepts an invitation to a house party in the country. There, he encounters a heavily pregnant widow, still one of the beauties of the land; her friend the wife of one of the most scandalous noblemen in the country; and the disgraced daughter of a duke who is acting as companion to the widow’s aunt. Things get really complicated, and this MP winds up the “lover” of ...more
L8blmr
Feb 19, 2009 rated it liked it
I will state first that I still really like the way this lady writes. Now you know something negative is probably coming next. I did not like any of the women in this book with the possible exception of one of the main characters' aunt (for, despite the synopsis of this story, it is as much Esme's as Bea's).

The leading men, who possessed seemingly infinite patience with the harridans whom they were pursuing, were all they should be and I actually wished for better women for them to choose from,
Linda
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Bea lost her reputation during a scandalous scene at a ball, so with nothing to lose, shes ready and willing to take part of everything she wants. When shes invited to a house party and meets a man she wants, shell try her best seduction and hope for the best.
Stephen didnt know what he was in for when he accepted the invitation to Infamous Esmes house party, but the ladies seem to have more than one plan including him in the works. Will he return to London unscathed?
Historical romance, feelings
Pam
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoy Eloisa James' books, and didn't mind this one, but I did find it a bit slow at times. I like the characters and enjoyed reading the next installment in the lives of these duchesses, but did find that I skipped a few pages here and there to get to "the good parts".
KSSA
Sep 07, 2018 added it
Story of Bea and Stephen is cute enough to finish the book while skimming Esme' s chapters. I found Esme despicable. She is manipulative enough drag others in her antics, help other girls helf-heartedly but immediately take their men if it suits her and then wallow in self-pity.
Angela
Nov 27, 2015 marked it as deals  ·  review of another edition
27 November 2015: $5.99 on Kindle
Lani Smith
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel like the blurb on the back of the book is misleading. If anyone was pursuing anyone, it would be Sebastian pursuing Esme. I loved seeing their story come to a HEA. The author did a wonderful job of bringing it to a realistic conclusion even with the scandals from the other 2 books.

Stephen and Bea spent so much of the book fighting AGAINST pursuing the other party I feel that the title/blurb is misleading. That said, I did like their parts of the story.

James is doing a wonderful job in the
Joanne
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Went above my expectations. Originally I didn't want to read this book since Stephan and Bea as characters did not interest me. Ever since Duchess in Love, I was not very fond of Esme or Sebastian. I decided to read this novel because Esme and Sebastian were mentioned in Your Wicked Way and I wanted to get a full picture of their relationship before delving into Helene/Rees's story.

Various elements of this book came together to make this an enjoyable read. Amongst them are Helene and Rees intera
Lady
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laura deLuna
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer-17
I was worried about the angst... I don't do angsty romance novels very well. I prefer ones where the hero and heroine marry early and spend the rest of the novel getting to know one another. It causes me stress to think that anything could get in the way of a happy ending...

But this book was rather well written in that aspect. And while there was a certain amount of pining and miscommunication, it was nothing that was so outrageous or unforgivable as I have read in some novels.

I always enjoy Elo
Fanny Mills
I loved, loved, loved, this book.
This book hit all the delectable notes for a Regency era historical, and it was deliciously, sensuously steamy. How could I not love a book with so many great bad girls- Esme, her Aunt, & Bea- and the incredibly sexy gentlemen that were head over heels in love with them? Absolutely adored this book. Eloisa James is amazing.
(Esme is also very pregnant- it’s rare to find books, especially trad. Published romance, where the very pregnant heroine has steamy sex s
Naomi Impellizzeri
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I really enjoyed this. It's been on my kindle list for a while and I had no idea where the story was going so it was very refreshing.

The various subplots were great, a really refreshing setting that kept you entertained and wanting more. Keen to read more from this series.

I loved Esme & Sebastian, what a gorgeous romance.

All the women where fantastic, supportive characters and the men were rather dashing.

James makes characters both desirable and flawed, thus making it feel all the more rea
Jen
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alot going on in this book. Roughly 3 different stories taking place at a house party. The individuals in the 3 stories are all interconnected.
I felt like this book could of stood alone with only Stephen's & Bea story.
The conclusion of Esme and Sebastian should of been a novella.
Helene & Rees were not even worth mentioning.
Either way, through all the main characters & secondary characters jumbled, I did enjoy this novel.
Being a fan of Shakespeare, I especially loved three ending
Anna
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
My least favorite book by Eloisa James. There were too many characters and it became confusing as to who was speaking to whom since both the first names and formal titles of each person are used interchangeably, depending on the person's relationship with the speaker. I found that I did not care enough about the characters to pay close attention.
Infedelity and promiscuity are not romantic and several of the main characters were engaged in both. If the story had just focused on one relationship,
Janet K
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While all of her books are well written, Eloisa James is a bit hit or miss for me. Occasionally she writes a huge hit for me, and this was one of them. From start to finish, I was hooked. Story was both poignant and funny, and I loved the H/H and the (even more compelling) side romance of Esme and the Marquess Bonnington. I have been reading the series out of order, but the books stand alone just fine.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The One That Got Away (includes: Effingtons, #8.5)
  • Only a Duke Will Do (School for Heiresses, #2)
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #6)
  • A Woman Scorned (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #2)
  • The Duke Next Door (Heiress Brides, #2)
  • By Love Undone (Bancroft Brothers, #1)
  • Lady Whistledown Strikes Back (Lady Whistledown, #2)
  • No Marriage of Convenience
  • The Charmer (Seducers #3)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more

Duchess Quartet (4 books)
  • Duchess in Love (Duchess Quartet, #1)
  • Fool for Love (Duchess Quartet, #2)
  • Your Wicked Ways (Duchess Quartet, #4)
“In fact, you should take a nap this afternoon, because there won't be much sleep tonight. I
mean to have you every way I can. I mean to intoxicate you and torment you so that you know precisely
how I feel about you." His finger trailed down her cheek and tipped up her chin.
"Don't mistake what is going to happen tonight." His voice was sinful, dark and hoarse. "You will never
forget the imprint of my skin after tonight, Esme. Waste your life chitchatting with ladies in lace caps.
Raise your child with the help of your precious Sewing Circle. But in the middle of all those lonely nights,
you will never, ever, forget the night that lies ahead of us.”
3 likes
“That sleepy, sensual smile of hers ought to be outlawed. It said
everything, without saying anything.”
1 likes