Start by marking “Agile Coaching” as Want to Read:
Agile Coaching

Agile Coaching

Discover how to coach your team to become more Agile. Agile Coaching de-mystifies agile practices--it's a practical guide to creating strong agile teams. Packed with useful tips from practicing agile coaches Rachel Davies and Liz Sedley, this book gives you coaching tools that you can apply whether you are a project manager, a technical lead, or working in a software team. ...more
Published September 4th 2009 by Pragmatic Bookshelf

To ask other readers questions about Agile Coaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agile Coaching

Start your review of Agile Coaching
Jean Tessier
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: software
I was an agile coach at Google for 18 months, starting in 2008. I figured I should check out this book and compare notes.

The book is directed specifically at agile coaches: people whose role it is to turn development teams to agile methodologies. The authors are trying to mentor the mostly junior coaches in how to deal with their team. There are three layers of experience: teams have limited knowledge of agile, coaches know agile principles and are passionate about them, but lack skills to trans
Pdmoore
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
It's obvious to compare this one to Adkins Coaching Agile Teams. This book is more appropriate to someone newer to agile and doesn't dig as deep into the coach role as Adkins. While I got a couple of new ideas from it, for me there was a lot of rehash. I would recommend this to someone starting off in the Scrum Master role (is there a good book for those folks?).
Koen Wellens
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018, 2017
Let me just start with saying I regret not finishing this sooner. I wish this post was about a re-read rather than a first read. Because there is so much good advice in this book. It’s a collection of useful information for anyone interested in agile coaching.

There are many things in this book that are not new for me. Yet it is good to see them written down. What I thought was great is how the authors added personal stories to help point out certain practices. A lesser thing were the grey boxes.
Martin
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: agile
um, not really new insights (for me). If you're new to agile it may be worth reading. I needed to force me to continue reading it and step over to the next chapter.
Hayri
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile
This is a well-organized book related to Agile Coaching not only for Agile Coaches; but also for the people who want to be a part of a result-oriented, creative and productive team at work.

The best thing about the book is, the theory is given with real-life examples. The topics are not so long and easy to understand. In "Hurdles" section of each Chapter, the possible difficulties that we can come across are explained. All chapters include a "Checklist" section in which the topic is summarized we
Nicolas Leroy
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book packs a lot of knowledge. I recognised stuff I’m already practicing myself, and also found new interesting things to try out. As other reviewers said, I’ll probably try to re-read it every year in order to pick up new things, find things I overlooked this time or something that can help in the situation I am at that moment. Thanks for bundling so much information in one book.
Mohamed Abdelwahab
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer-science
More information about Agile Development , How to become Agile coach , How to use Agile tools, How to use test driven development, How to Building an agile team,How to invest in team, How to growing you, and More fantastic and important things to produce a great product.
Buddy2Blogger
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for people beginning their career as an Agile Coach.
Rodrigo
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear, simple, practical and useful.
Nathalie Karasek
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A couple of interesting thoughts, tips, hints and (most important) examples :)
Pieter Kuijpers
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book when I started on a new project as team lead for one of my clients. The client is in the process of adopting agile but the team was very inexperienced with agile practices. Having worked in agile teams at other clients, the task of coaching the team to be more agile fell upon me.

As such, I feel I'm the ideal audience for this book. The authors assume basic knowledge of agile practices and focus on techniques to help a team apply them better. It's very practical, more a collecti
Yves Hanoulle
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Agile Coaching is the book I wish I had read when I started coaching my first team. While agile is spreading fast, a lot of people take on coaching roles, these people finally have a book to find the answer for their questions.
The book Rachel & Liz wrote is not only good for people new to coaching, as a seasoned coach, I found some new idea's (Standup Checkov), it refreshed rusted idea's (ping pong programming), and challenged some other (no comments). This is one of the books I know I will at l
Kristjan Wager
This book is a great introduction to introducing agile methods to a project as an agile coach. Unfortunately, it's written entirely from the perspective of an formalized role as an agile coach. This means that the book is not well suited for people who wants to introduce agile methods (or just agile practices) without a official role.

Still, even if you don't have the official role, there are a lot of things one can gain from this book (e.g. dos and don'ts) - it just can't stand alone, but has to
Travis McCutcheon
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally picked this gem back up. Agile Coaching is an excellent overview of the elements critical to Agile software development. It is easy to read and highlights important concepts with hurdles and checklists.

Emphasis is placed on working with people and leading change in dynamic environments. It covers how to prioritize, plan and structure meetings. They demonstrate keeping the process visible and adhering to best coding practices. This book subtly introduces the techniques of experimentation
Mya
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scrum Masters, Agile Coaches, Team Leads
Shelves: work
This is a really good book for any Scrum Master or Agile Coach. There was stuff in here I've 'stumbled on' over time and with experience and it would have been nice to have known some of it up front :) It is very comprehensive, so could perhaps be a little bit daunting to someone new to the role, but it does demonstrate just how broad the role is. For me, this is a great book to keep hanging around on your book shelf to dip into as you master one aspect and are ready to tackle a new area of lear ...more
Tim Andersen
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: programmers
Shelves: agile, coaching
This is a very lightweight book for someone who wants to get started with introducing Agile Software Development to a team. There are a lot of examples and side-stories for individuals in situations and how to deal with them from a coaching role. If you are just getting started with Agile, this is a great book. If you feel like you already have a mature Agile adoption, this book might seem a bit basic. There is a lot of focus on teamwork.
Ash Moran
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
A lot of the agile information in here is quite basic. It's definitely geared towards the coaching aspects, and has some interesting psychology references. I think it can serve two purposes: an intro to agile from a people-centered view, or for someone more experienced with agile technical practices that wants to move into coaching a team. I lent it to a developer as a first agile book, and he got a lot out of it in the former sense.
Maria
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile, in-2015
Agile Coaching is a good overview of the types of things that a scrum master can help teams do. There is some practical advice here that is quite valuable, although the book doesn't go into too much detail of any particular agile methodology. There are some nice refreshers of the human side of agile, and I found a few good a few ideas for enhancing already familiar practices that I'm looking forward to trying.
Torbjörn
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I feel that I should have loved this book. But I can't find any enthusiasm for it.
There's some good tips & good advice in it, but it feels shallow; just a reverberation in an echo chamber of good agile practice.

It might just be that I read it at the wrong time, earlier in my career I'm positive I'd would have found it packed with gold nuggets.
Torben Rasmussen
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a quite good book for anyone working with agile even if you are not coaching agile as such. There are lots of good tips, tricks and lessons learned from applying the values and practices.
There is nothing revolutionary to be found, but good pointers on when to push, when to bend, and how to do it.
Maciej Kurek
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book. It covers number of aspects every Agile Coach should be aware of bear in mind while working with teams. Also, the book provides real-life examples what I really like as that builds up the trust between author and reader.
gramakri
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is a must-have tool of an Agile Coach ! Highly recommended reading for every one in the agile team as well!

Read more about this book at
Olli Sorje
Good book about coaching agile teams. I really liked the last chapter "Growing You" that was not about helping others but helping yourself to grow as a coach and as a software professional. I think it's very important topic if you want to develop in your profession.
Renanreismartins
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really nice book, with a lot of real examples. The first few chapters cover coaching in general and the rest of the book is focused in agile practices. There are some example with real situations and hurdles you may face and how to workaround it.
Fred
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent examples for all facets of agile development. Coaches need to careful in how they interact with the team, since they are coaches and not actual team members. The book is full of great recommendations and tips to get teams thinking more agile.
Tathagat Varma
This is a good junior-level / intro-level text for agile coaching, rather more for scrum masters. If you haven't had any formal management trainings, this is a good starting point towards self-learning.
Marcin
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Excellent guide to coaching full of all the essential basics, practical tips, real stories and useful references.
Tim Ottinger
I'm not too far into this one yet. So far it looks great.
Collin Rogowski
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book views the Scrum process from a coaching perspective.
Daniel Temme
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
Full of useful advice but came to me at the wrong time.

• Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »