Start by marking “Don't Look Back” as Want to Read:
Don't Look Back

Don't Look Back

He was chuckling, a deep, sexy sound as he pushed Peter back on the satiny cushions. Was this for real? Was he going to go through with it? Peter blinked up as his tie was unfastened, tossed aside, his shirt unbuttoned, laid wide. The evening breeze -- scented of smog and jasmine -- felt cool against his overheated skin, like the lightest breath...

Peter Killian, curator at
Published June 29th 2009 by Loose Id LLC

To ask other readers questions about Don't Look Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Look Back

Start your review of Don't Look Back
mwana
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Constantine House curator, Peter, is suffering from amnesia. He appears to have gotten attacked when the theft of a very valuable tenth century mural occurred in his museum. He also appears to be having erotic dreams with a faceless lover- who may be long time crush, and very married best friend, Cole- chairman of the Constantine board of trustees. On top of it all, SFPD robbery and homicide, Detective Griffin seems to have him pegged as the primary suspect in the theft. And more importantly, al ...more
fleurette
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Josh Lanyon is great when it comes to his short stories. I usually prefer full-length books. But Lanyon can contain everything you need in his short forms. Complicated and fully developed characters to which you quickly become attached. And a complex and interesting plotline that draws you in immediately.

And this story is no exception. Not only is Peter a great main character, but the story is also really interesting. Even if certain things are exactly as they appear from the beginning. From the
Ingie
Written February 2, 2015

3.3 Stars - A nice "whodunit" with a splash of romance

Once again I felt for a book by my favorite M/M writer Mr Josh Lanyon. This time was it an novella as an 4 hrs audiobook narrated by Graham Halstead. A new, good enough, narrator for me.

★★★☆☆

Pleased ...as most times
A rather short and thrilling mystery. I was not overwhelmed or hugely impressed but it's well done and good for the moment.

Our two heroes are up to scratch. - It's quite cute actually, with a slightly inse
LenaRibka
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it

If you have a book hangover you should read Josh Lanyon.

Though the risk is too high that you won't read anything else up until you have reached the end of Josh Lanyon's list.

Don't Look Back is a perfect mystery a là Josh Lanyon with a sexy very male detective Michael Griffin and Peter Killian, a museum curator, who is, OF COURSE, a prime suspect in a theft case in his museum.

Though with a little benefit for the readers: The first sex scene happens almost on the very first page. I would say in c
Shelley

This is good. If you know Josh Lanyon’s work, particularly The Adrien English series, you’ll recognise the likenesses here. Peter Killian is the well-ordered intelligent and conservative type, slim, neat and appealing in appearance.
Detective Griffin is the big, sexy, mysterious alpha in charge. The atmosphere is comparable and Peter’s voice also bares a strong resemblance to Adrien English. Luckily for me, I’m a big fan.

Even with these similarities, Don’t Look Back stands out on its own just be
Marte - Thunderella
...I'm so easy... One drool look at the cover and halfway through reading the blurb I clicked "Want to read" ;P Sue me. After I read the whole blurb though, I found that it checked a lot of my boxes. LOL! Mystery, suspense, Detective..

****4 mysterious stars****

This was my pre-review of this book. As I said I'm easy. :P But when I bought the book at Amazon there was a totally different cover
Don't Look Back by Josh Lanyon .
Boring, I thought. But, you know what? After finish reading, I think that cover was much better than
.Karéz.
Another mystery,thrilling story that I ENJOYED...
Amy
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was fun! I’m kind of hit or miss with Josh Lanyon. Some of his/her (I’m still not sure which pronoun to use) are too focused on the mystery, with not enough romance for my taste (i.e., Adrien English). But I didn’t find that to be the case with this one.

The two MCs have great chemistry. Peter, a museum curator, wakes up in the hospital with amnesia and finds himself the main suspect in the disappearance of a priceless mural. Detective Mike Griffin is convinced he’s lying. I enjoyed wat
Ije the Devourer of Books
I really liked this one especially once the story began to develop. There were two aspects that really had me hooked: Peter's amnesia and what had happened to him in the past, and then the thefts from the museum and who was actually behind them.

Of course I had a suspect and I wasn't wrong in my guessing but this didn't detract from the story.

Once again Josh Lanyon has delivered a great mystery with good characters, great pace and an enjoyable story. He is one author that I really like and I know
Tina
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-suspense

Museum curator Peter Killian wakes up in a hospital to find that a blow to the head is the least of his problems. He suffers from amnesia and the very hot Police Detective Michael Griffin sitting by his bed seems convinced Peter is a burglar, who has stolen an expensive mural.

Peter has to figure out who is stealing from the museum before he winds up in jail or the real thief decides to silence him. But first he must try to put together the pieces of his fragmented memory. On top of that he sees
Meep
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A nice quick read, fits in nicely amongst other things.

Usual Lanyon characteristics; formula mystery, a tough cop character and a weak smart main character who of course is the main suspect. Nice comfortable reading.

Amnesia allows Peter the chance to see his potential better. Life and friendship has held him back, so he's become buttoned-up, a claustrophobic and depressing reality he gets to see with new eyes having forgotten everyone/thing personal to him. Mike lurks, big, muscular, disapprovin
Natasha
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've read this. I know I've read this... but I don't remember how many stars I liked it, so it gets my default Lanyon star rating.

CrabbyPatty
Short novella with amnesia (one of my favorites tropes), a bit of a mystery and a heckuva love triangle.
Ami
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Story with amnesia theme can be exhaustive and cheesy if an author is not careful on how to treat it. Josh Lanyon never disappoints me before and this one is no different. Using a mystery-suspense with a main hero who suffers from psychosomatic memory loss after being hit on a head, Josh writes about finding back love and uncover the bad guys. It is romantic and beautiful. Short (it IS a novella after all) but satisfying.
agirlwithoutwings
2.5 Stars

It was a Meh read for me, I don't know why but I found the mystery and the romance quite predictable. It wasn't bad though, just not intriguing enough.
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
I think this might be one of my favorite Josh Lanyon books. It's not the best one he has, but I still favor it.
Why? Because for once, I actually got into the romance portion.

I usually go into any Josh Lanyon book, for the mystery. Some are predictable, some not are not...but the story is still good, and usually fun to read. I do not go in, looking for some epic romance. Josh's romance portions seem to be usually be tacked in there...not the focus, and not a high priority. And that is FINE, beca
Nicky
Oct 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, mystery, romance
Started reading this when I was awake with a stomach ache at five in the morning. It's very readable, and kept my attention, even in that state -- and I finished it in one go today. It's pretty standard fare for Josh Lanyon, in the sense that there were no surprises, but he always manages to make it readable, and I enjoyed the character growth these particular characters had to go through, particularly that surrounding Peter and his friend Cole.

The sex scenes were pretty numerous, given the drea
⚣Michaelle⚣
4 Stars

This is exactly the kind of story I expect from JL: A sexy, hot, intriguing whodunit. And while the beginning was slow going, to build the suspense and weave the story it was a necessary evil. I think my absolute terror at the prospect of personal memory loss kept me hanging on tighter than I would have since I absolutely HAD to know it would resolve itself, too. Also, the true thief was kind of easy to figure out, but I did wonder off and on whether my guess was accurate given some of th
Jennifer☠Pher☠
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Yeah, I know, fan girl. No doubt. OMG!! I loved this and I loved Peter and Mike!!
Vanessa North
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good Lanyon.
Audio narration was good--suited the character voice.
All around solid.

Thats all i got.
Trix
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-novels, action, cops
Sadly, this book didn't rate as well as the others I've read by Josh Lanyon. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to start a marathon of his books. Should have taken a break after finishing the "Adrien English Mystery" series. This book rated a meager 2.5 stars.

I am still impressed by Adrien English that I found Peter Killian very much similar. The setting and details were different, of course, but there was the same atmosphere, same civilian involved with a cop. I spent half the book comparing Pe
Trio
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
from the audio book
Male/Male Mystery and Suspense Box Set: 6 Novellas

That was excellent, a very creative mystery.
Susan65
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back to back 4.5-5 Stars reads for me from Josh Lanyon and yet I still hesitate before I commit to one of his books, why? Good question and I think it all springs back to the Adrien English series, and where I am the only person on the planet who didn’t love it. I have got to let that go and realize that there is more to this author than just that series. Susan, let it go…step away and move on. And so I am and I did and I am so grateful too.

I love mysteries and I love gay romance and I love my g
JR
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers
What happens when you wake up in the hospital with a concussion resulting in amnesia, Peter Killian finds out the hard way. Peter learns he is the prime suspect in the theft of a priceless mural from the museum where he is the curator. He doesn't remember anything, but the detective in charge of the case, Micheal Griffin, believes he is lying.

This was a familiar plot, but with some lovely twists that made it a great little story. I loved the two mcs, Peter and Mike, played off each other well
Irina
Audible

After my latest read, this was deliciously satisfying, even though I wish it were longer. Which proves the point yet again that Lanyon is my comfort author and I can always rely on him.

Loved it!

***4.5 stars***

Lori
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Again - an enjoyable story from Lanyon, with fab characters but I wish it was longer. He writes the long game better than the short IMO.
Kati
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
I felt so sorry for Peter. First he gets beaten, then he loses his memory, he is accused of thieving and arrested, someone tries to kill him and if that wasn't enough, he loses his job and his home. And it looks like whenever he thinks that it can't get worse, life proves him wrong. Fortunately, Mike thinks that Peter's worth taking a risk. And I wanted to kick Cole in the balls - that man had a nerve, really! ...more
Martin
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. Amnesia is always a good plot device, IMO. I was really impressed when the story slowly unfolded in front of me. It was an excellent crime novel. My only problem was, it was a bit short to convey both the romance AND the crime theme. I wouldn't have complained, if Peter's love life didn't fall back into place as quickly as it did, but other than that the book was really well done. I am starting to become a real Josh Lanyon fan after this, my third Lanyon book. ...more
karlakolumna
I totally needed my Josh Lanyon fix. It's been some time since I last picked up a book by him, and he didn't disappoint. As always.
Especially after a seemingly endless series of mediocre books (or, to be fair, fairly good ones but with a plot I'm currently not in the mood reading about).
So yeah, I liked this book quite a lot.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Among the Living (PsyCop, #1)
  • Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • Risk Assessment (Cabrini Law #1)
  • Red Heir (Adventures in Aguillon #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Skin and Bone (Digging Up Bones, #2)
  • Southernmost Murder
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • The Murder Between Us (A Noah & Cole Thriller, #1)
  • A Matter of Time, Vol. 1 (A Matter of Time #1-2)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Introducing Mr. Winterbourne (Winterbourne, #1)
  • Down Low (Down Home #1)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Sinfully Mine
  • Life Lessons (Life Lessons, #1)
  • Blow Down (The Plumber's Mate, #4)
  • A Chip In His Shoulder (Falling Sky, #1)
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f