Start by marking “The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Silent Sea (The Oregon Files, #7)

The Silent Sea

(The Oregon Files #7)

Clive Cussler's tales of the Oregon and its crew-"the clever, indefatigable Juan Cabrillo and his merry band of tough, tech-savvy fighting men and women" (Publishers Weekly)-have made fans of hundreds of thousands of readers. But the Oregon's sixth adventure is its most remarkable one yet.

Published March 9th 2010 by Putnam Adult

Lisa Reads & Reviews

When I picked up this novel, I failed to pick up on the fact it was an author-branded work. I had heard of Clive Cussler. His background and involvement with sunken ships and general marine archaeology is intriguing. That, and being a successful author were enough to lure me in--I'd hoped to learn something as well as be thrilled with the adventure. Only after a feeling of disappointment and depression set in did I look closely at the cover and realize Clive Cussler is used as a brand name. Whil
Brenda
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ronish family had owned Pine Island, part of Washington State for generations. The mystery of the deep pit on the island had been investigated by many, but disaster struck each time. In December of 1941 it was the turn of the five Ronish brothers to uncover the mysteries of the deep – four were old enough but the youngest could only watch on. But once again tragedy struck; then with news of the war and Pearl Harbour the older brothers headed off to fight…

In the current day, Juan Cabrillo was
StoryTellerShannon
Jul 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
I tried to get into this one but it had a very slow start and I gave up after a time. Perhaps I will give Cussler another audio CD or book try but for now it's on to other reading/listening projects.

OVERALL GRADE: D plus to C minus.
Linda
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
3.5 stars. Fun Oregon Files adventure set mainly in South America and the Antarctic. As always lots of action.
Brenda H
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Silent Sea is the 7th book in The Oregon Files series by Clive Cussler. This is the 5th book in which the co-author is Jack Du Brul.

Juan Cabrillo and his crew are asked by the CIA to retrieve a piece of NASA technology that has been lost over Argentina. While searching for the crashed satellite, the crew makes an astonishing discovery that leads back to a small island in the US and a long-ago Chinese expedition. What ensues is a race to prevent territorial thievery, avoid ecological disaster
AH
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zzread-june-2010
So, I decided to take a break from vampires and werewolves and all things paranormal. I picked up The Silent Sea because I have enjoyed all of Clive Cussler's books. I was not disappointed.

Clive Cussler has a way of creating great action stories, full of suspense and lots of firepower and explosions. This story starts on an island off Washington State, moves to Argentina, Texas, and Antarctica. And just when I thought I would read a book that was vampire-free, there was a reference to the Twili
Pete Carter
What spoilt this book for me was the sloppy editing. If you’re buying a self-published book for 99p off Kindle you might expect a few typos – but if you’re paying rrp £18.99 for a first edition hardback, you expect quality and professionalism. You can barely go 8 pages without a typo – some of them glaring. And not just the editing – the authors made one or two real clangers themselves. Try this for size: (p75)
‘…converging on a levelled-off section of hillside at least two acres across….’
That’s
Tom
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels. They're fine, but I just never connected.

However, I have enjoyed both of his Spy series novels. The Silent Sea is the first I've read from the Oregon Files, and I really enjoyed it.

The Oregon is a super-high tech ship disguised as a decrepit junk heap. It has its own helicopter, torpedos, minisubs, and priceless works of art on the walls. No, I'm not kidding.

Anyway, Argentina and China have claimed sovereignty over Antarctica, and they've b
Bev Taylor
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
the treasure pit is renowned as supposedly hiding pirate's treasure but no-one has been successful in draining it fully. until dec 1941 when 4 brothers r successful. but one of them dies and with the coming war all is forgotten

today juan and his crew from the oregon have been dispatched to rescue a crashed satellite that is in the argentine jungle. needless to say this is a big problem because of the relationship between the 2 countries.

during their dangerous mission they find the remains of t
 Olivermagnus
Silent Sea is the seventh of the Oregon Files series. The book begins with a prologue set in 1941 where five brothers living in Washington search for buried treasure in a cave. Tragedy ensues, along with Pearl Harbor, so we are left in the dark about what was discovered. We then fast forward to modern times where we join Juan Cabrillo in Argentina to retrieve the remains of a lost American satellite. Before long we are ready to go to Antarctica where the ream uses cutting-edge technology and the ...more
Randy Tramp
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On December 7, 1941, 5 brothers explore an island and make an exciting discovery.

Fast-forward to the present:

Juan Cabrillo and the Oregon crew's search for missing NASA technology leads to a globe-trotting adventure.

Action. Action, and more action. Twists kept coming, with one huge turn at the end.

Antartica, as you've never seen, are in the pages of this book. Adding history makes it better.

I look forward to other books in this series.
Laura Ruetz
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. This reminded me of the Oak Island Money pit and that seems to be an inspiration for this book. This is an action packed book that does not skimp on the character development and it really pulls you in from the start. I've always been intrigued by old secrets and treasures and this did not disappoint.
Simon Harris
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.9

The Silent Sea is a great novel, simple as. It's fast paced and has more substance to it than most of Clive's novels. I've become accustomed to Clive's style of writing over the years but you can sense a slight change with the influence of Jack du Brul.

It has the usual action and flows really well but seems to have a lot more depth to it. Although it's fiction, this book seems to have an air of believe-ability to it.

One of the best Clive Cussler books I've read in a while.
Carol
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
What's It About?
On December 7, 1941, five brothers exploring a shaft on a small island off the coast of Washington state make an exciting discovery, only to be interrupted by news of Pearl Harbor. In the present, Cabrillo, chasing the remnants of a crashed satellite in the Argentine jungle, makes a shocking discovery of his own. His search to untangle the mystery leads him first to that small island and its secret, and then much further back, to an ancient Chinese expedition, and a curse that se
Carol Caldwell
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cussler has a knack for creating larger than life characters and Juan Cabrillo is no exception. Cabrillo's home is the Oregon, a ship that looks like it's headed for the garbage dump on the outside and one that is outfitted on the inside with the latest technology available for doing anything. It's always enjoyable to see outsider's (read enemies) reaction to the ship and how they underestimate it. This story has plenty of technology, plenty of adventure and discovery, and plenty of harrowing ne ...more
Leanne Hunt
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I would not have made it through two-thirds of this book had it not been for the fact that my husband and I were listening to it on a long journey and we had nothing else to read. Frankly, we both found the novel boring. While it is full of action and intrigue, and will probably appeal to a reader interested in weapons and military-style operations, it is completely lacking in depth. The characters are one-dimensional and there seems to be no subtext. It is what Afrikaans-speaking people call a ...more
Ann Keller
I read this book almost in a single day. It's a powerful tale of a group of Chinese explorers from the fifteenth century, who set sail to the east and discovered what they thought must be Africa. They left behind a few tantalizing clues on the Oregon coastline, clues that seem too incredible to be true.

Juan Cabrillo and his team follow the exciting trail to the south, to Antarctica, where a remote outpost holds the key to solving the mystery. Unfortunately, there are other contenders for this gr
Steve
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm not a great fan of Cussler 'tis true and his books are spare time filling potboilers at best. This was no exception with unbelievably perfect heroes in an organisation that never makes mistakes - yeah right. The plot was tepid and it did drag a bit sometimes. I got to the end, that was an effort to be honest, which somehow neatly tied up up all the loose ends in a rather convenient way.
I'm not going to read any more of his novels, I know what to expect and I should spend my reading hours wi
James Feller
Jul 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
I have read a majority of Clive Cussler's books. I have loved them all, then there comes this one... There are so many unrealistic things, capturing a torpedo in the moon-pool? Really? That is rediculous. Cussler can pride himself on his historical and factual accuracy in all his books except this one. Too many mistakes for me, a Cadillac Town Car? Town Cars are made by Lincoln not Cadillac. A torpedo with guy-wires? Guy-wires are to stop things like very tall antennas from falling over. I feel ...more
Mike Van Barneveld
Hartstikke goed boek. Veel spanning en actie. Het verhaal zou wat mij betreft zo als een James Bond-film vertoond kunnen worden, uitgezonderd van de romances dan. Het einde is ook erg spannend en in sommige opzichten onverwacht. Ik vond het al met al een erg goed boek!

***

Een geweldig spannend begin. Keurige schrijfstijl die direct boeit. Soms is het nog even struikelen over de lange zinnen en dure woorden die er gebruikt worden, maar dat went erg snel. Erg hoog niveau tot nu toe. Ben benieuwd w
Brett
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
note to Clive Cussler, Please stop starting and ending situations like this "Suddenly the house Sgt. Mike was in became engulfed in flames, no human could survive it, FORTUNATELY for Mike, he decided to wear his flame retardant clothing that day out of pure luck". It seems as if everyone in Clive's books are as lucky as lucky can be every minute of the book.

weak to quite weak.
Pat DiGeorge
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
Just not for me. The prologue was the most interesting part of the book. The rest of it would appeal to someone who was interested in every technical detail of the equipment and weaponry used. I listened to the audio book and did finish it. If I had been reading it I could have easily flipped through most of the pages.
Keith Bolen
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
If you have read one Cline Cussler book, you have read them all. Usually, they are good for when you want a decent, easy historical fiction weekend read. This one was not impressive... a little too all over the place. Quick and anti-climatic.
Emily
absolutely couldn't even stand to finish it. The writing is childish & the editing is abysmal. Maybe the story would have been entertaining, but I couldn't overlook the misuse of language long enough to find out.
Jessica
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm still "in love" with Juan Cabrillo, but this book was a disappointment. The plot was not even closely believable. A sad downturn in the quality of the Oregon Files. Don't read it!
Bill
Dec 25, 2010 rated it liked it
All the Oregon series books are excellent and so is this one.
Simon
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Completely incoherent, even for a Clive Cussler novel. And it is a Clive Cussler novel. Think what that means.
Iris
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller, 2-sterren, 2013
niet echt mijn schrijver. vind het meer een mannenboek. heb hem uitgelezen, maar sla de rest van zn boeken over.
David
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cussler-clive
Too much bravado for me. Not much to believe as realistic even for Cussler, but then he did not write it, his co-author did.....no more for me of this series...
Claudia
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Oregon Files #7
This starts out slightly different from the usual for a Cussler novel - the historic plot-setting is Pine Island, Washington as 5 brothers explore their own personal Treasure pit similar to Oak Island's Money Pit. One dies in the attempt and the devastated parents, as a penalty for trespassing on the forbidden island the eldest 3 boys are to join the U.S. armed forces as Pearl Harbor occurs the same day as brother Don Ronish dies.

And now back to today - Argentina has experienc
Looking Forward To Reading It 7 51 Mar 05, 2017 11:28PM
USS Alba, USS Ice...: The Silent Sea - Review 1 2 Oct 06, 2016 08:08AM
  • The Honor of Spies (Honor Bound, #5)
  • Deep Fire Rising (Philip Mercer, #6)
  • The NKJV, American Patriot's Bible: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
  • Prayers That Bring Change: Power-Filled Prayers that Give Hope, Heal Relationships, Bring Financial Freedom and More!
  • The Making Of A Leader
  • God's Creative Power Will Work For You
  • This Day We Fight!: Breaking the Bondage of a Passive Spirit
  • The Prophet's Dictionary: The Ultimate Guide to Supernatural Wisdom
  • Women's Daily Declarations for Spiritual Warfare: Biblical Principles to Defeat the Devil
  • By Faith Alone
  • Dressed to Kill: A Biblical Approach to Spiritual Warfare and Armor
  • The Spirit of Python: Identify what constricts your life and kills your dreams
  • Does Your Tongue Need Healing
  • Death Wave (Deep Black, #9)
  • Black Wolf (Dreamland, #12)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Sean Dillion, #17)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • The Jewish Code
Cussler began writing novels in 1965 and published his first work featuring his continuous series hero, Dirk Pitt, in 1973. His first non-fiction, The Sea Hunters, was released in 1996. The Board of Governors of the Maritime College, State University of New York, considered The Sea Hunters in lieu of a Ph.D. thesis and awarded Cussler a Doctor of Letters degree in May, 1997. It was the first time ...more

The Oregon Files (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Golden Buddha (The Oregon Files, #1)
  • Sacred Stone (The Oregon Files, #2)
  • Dark Watch (The Oregon Files, #3)
  • Skeleton Coast (The Oregon Files, #4)
  • Plague Ship (The Oregon Files, #5)
  • Corsair (The Oregon Files, #6)
  • The Jungle (The Oregon Files, #8)
  • Mirage (The Oregon Files, #9)
  • Piranha (The Oregon Files, #10)
  • The Emperor's Revenge (The Oregon Files, #11)