Start by marking “Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables Series, #8)” as Want to Read:
Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables Series, #8)

Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables #8)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  31,930 Ratings  ·  1,220 Reviews
October passed out and the dreary days of November and December dragged by. The world shook with the thunder of contending armies; Antwerp fell --Turkey declared war--gallant little Serbia gathered herself together and struck a deadly blow at her oppressor; and in quiet, hill-girdled Glen St. Mary, thousands of miles away, hearts beat with hope and fear over the varying di ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 277 pages
Published November 1st 1985 by Bantam (first published 1921)

Maria
Aug 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"'Is it Rilla my Rilla?'
Yeth."
Kate
May 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the final book of the Anne series, and deals with the lives of her children. While it's wonderful to see characters evolve into adulthood and have a next generation come to life, the real strength of this book is it's window into the homeland society of rural Maritime Canada during the first World War. It's one of few documentations (even if the characters are fictional) of what women were doing at home during the war, and this setting breathes new life into the end of the series. The se ...more
Lindsay
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that finally severed my relationship with Kevin Sullivan. When Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story premiered in the early 2000s, I was shocked to discover that Anne and Gilbert were suddenly time warped to WWI.

That's wrong. On so many levels.

WWI wasn't Anne's war, it was Rilla's, and Ken's, and Walter's, and that damn dog who turns me into a gushy mess every freaking time I read the last chapter. Rilla -- the youngest child of Anne and Gilbert -- is fifteen (see what I m
Duane
I have now read all eight books in the Anne of Green Gables series. Eight books that were an absolute pleasure to read. I like this one almost as much as the 1st one. It's the story of Anne's daughter Rilla, but it is set with the backdrop of World War I which has a huge influence on Anne's family. This story has a more serious tone than the other books but it is a fitting conclusion to a wonderful story.
Naomi Sarah
This book. THIS BOOK. Seriously, I have no words. I can only sit here and cry and sob like a baby. It was that good. Every reread makes me quiet in stunned awe; ever reread makes me tremble in the emotion, the beauty, the amazingness. This book is out-of-this-world amazing. I've decided it's my favourite novel.

(Um, this review contains a spoiler of a certain death. But you may want to be prepared for the death, so carry on reading.)

Soooooo.
1. I cried more than ten times. I'm sure of it.
2. I
Kelly
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
This is probably my favorite of the Anne books. I love watching Rilla mature into a young woman, and I think the romance betwen Rilla and Ken Ford is one of the best in kidlit.
Victoria Lynn
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-fiction
Now, I loved Anne. Don't get me wrong, but this book was on another whole level. I ADORED It. The heartbreak of ww1, the grown up Blythe family. . . I just loved everything about it.
Elizabeth
It was recently drawn to my attention by a fellow Goodreads reader that the editions of Rilla of Ingleside, for which we had become accustomed, are abridged versions of the original edition that L.M. Montgomery published. Somehow along the way, an abridged edition appeared through an Amercian publishing house and that abridged version became the standard (accidentally). As a result, I was curious to discover what jewels of Rilla of Ingleside I was missing. While, I feel self-satisfied in the kno ...more
Olivia
2017 update: The more I've read this, the more I appreciate the metaphors, every day life of each characters, descriptions, laughter, and tears throughout. This book will never grow old for me. It's a dear friend :)
***
This is the most amazing, sweetest, heart-wrenching books I've read in my life. I've read it at least ten times (maybe more ;)) and I love it every. single. time.

This is a book that can be enjoyable read on its on, but it is ever so much better if you've read the whole series. So r
Darcy
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was with great relief and disappointment that I finally closed the last volume of the Anne series. I'm afraid I found this volume a colossal bore. Rilla, cute as she is, was not featured as prominently as the title would suggest; nor was her love story. Set during WWI, Rilla of Ingleside chronicles the entire duration of the war and how it effected those in Canada. By the time they made it to 1918 I was praying for the war to end so the dang book would end. The scenes hardly varied. It was a ...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
This is a stand-out in the series for me, I love Rilla.

If Dog Monday doesn't make you cry, I don't know what will. He breaks my heart every time.
Jazzy
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EEP

OH BOI.
This was so lovely, you guys. There are so many things... so many feels... *happy sigh*
Heather
The final book in the Anne of Green Gables series makes a solemn capstone to an amazing run. My Dad bought me these books when I was little on the condition that I read all of them, and I've just now fulfilled that promise.

Covering the duration of World War One, this book, along with Anne's House of Dreams, is definitely one of the saddest in the series. Yet these two books give the characters of Anne and her children, including the title character, her youngest daughter Rilla, a more rounded fe
Cathy
(view spoiler) ...more
Allie
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Rilla of Ingleside' is my favourite of the 'Anne' series, it's even better than the internationally-beloved 'Anne of Green Gables'. That's my opinion, anyway! It features Rilla [short for Marilla:], Anne and Gilbert's youngest daughter, and her trials throughout WWI, when two of her brothers and the young man she cares for go off to war. Poignantly written, never dismissing hardship, heartbreak, love, and the more common of adolescent strifes such as rivalries and embarassments, 'Rilla of Ingle ...more
Kat Leache
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-readfavorites
My faaaaavorite Anne book--it focuses on her youngest child, Rilla, and it's set during WWI (the series is set in Canada, who entered the war with England, so it was a much longer and painful ordeal for them than for the US). Rilla is a silly young 15 year old when the war begins--by the end she's an amazing and strong woman. This book is wonderful! I'm regularly tearing up on my lunchbreak reading this one.
Michele
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew what to expect going into this book, from inadvertently reading summaries. Even if I hadn't, the Pied Piper foreshadowing in Rainbow Valley, gave this last book's big development away. Even so, it was very moving. I read it during a flight and cried like a lunatic the whole plane route.

Being mostly familiar with U. S. History, it was interesting to see the war from a Canadian perspective. Susan's view on Woodrow Wilson and his love of "notes" was hilarious. It makes me wish that Montgomer
Audrey
Rilla, the youngest of Gilbert and Anne Blythe' s children was flighty young thing when World War I started but the next four years made her into a responsible young woman. Most surprising of all is when she fosters a baby for the duration of the war. This is an heart-breaking and triumphant story of the Great War.
Emma Jane
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ADORED THIS BOOK. In fact, much more than I was expecting to. Sure, everyone seems to rave about it, and it was my best friend who (gently) pushed me into reading it...but I didn't expect to LOVE it. I've read several of L.M. Montgomery's books now, and while I enjoy her writing style sometimes, overall it's not my thing, and by the time I got to Rilla of Ingleside -- the fourth book I'd read of hers in a year -- I was rather tired of it.

BUT THAT DIDN'T MATTER. This is one of the most beauti
Hope
I've been telling myself that I'm going to write more reviews and better reviews, and I remembered this book on my shelf and thought it deserved one, so here we go:

This is my favorite of the Anne books. It's not much about Anne, yes, and a lot of folks have a problem with that, but it's about Anne's youngest child; her daughter, Rilla. Rilla starts out as a brat, Rilla grows up into a mature, sweet woman. This book goes through all that. She has her mother's spirit and love of beauty, but she do
Susann
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so nice to have Rilla waiting for me, as I went through my 'Anne' series re-read. I would love to take a class on WWI and have 'Rilla' as one of my texts. Because Montgomery wrote this shortly after the War ended, all the details seem so fresh and ripe for discussion: the battles, the politics, the Canadian perspective, the role of women, the emerging technologies, and - my favorite - the jingoism. It's fascinating to read Montgomery's casual mentions of bricks being thrown through window ...more
Leah
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
YAWN....

Honestly, I have lost patience with this series. I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when Marilla's death is merely glanced over in one...count it, ONE...sentence. I want to hear about Avonlea. I miss the romance and the scenery and the people of Avonlea. This is no longer the Anne of Green Gables series, it is the "Anne's Kids and their Friends" series.

Perhaps it's because I neglected to read these stories when I was younger, sort of in the same way I really can't appreci
Elizabeth
What made the Anne series so enjoyable was that Anne was a very three-dimensional character. She had spunk, she was stubborn, she was whimsical, she knew how to love and she knew what loss was. Rilla is not a three-dimensional character, or at least not to the same extent that her mother was. It's been ages since I read these books, and maybe I'd enjoy this one more if I were to read it again as an adult, but by the time I get through Anne of Ingleside, I'm so entirely fed up with the series tha ...more
Kirsty
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rilla of Ingleside is number 619 upon the Virago Modern Classics list, and is another addition to the children’s literature which the publishing house is introducing to a whole new generation of readers. This particular L.M. Montgomery novel is recommended for those from the age of nine onwards.

Rilla of Ingleside, first published in 1921, is the last book in Montgomery’s famous Anne of Green Gables series, and can be read as a standalone book. It takes place when title character Anne Shirley is
Tetiana Syniook
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Руда збитошна дівчинка — мій дитячий кумир

Ось так воно й буває завжди: Фродо відпливає в невмирущий край, Сем вертається додому. Містер Біг каже Керрі, що «вона — та єдина». Рос мириться із Рейчел, а Моніка назавжди лишає ключі від квартири на столі. Ці чудові моменти кожної з історій я просто ненавиджу, бо щоразу спересердя думаю: «Ну й прекрасно! Я за вас тішуся, але як я далі без вас?»
Тепер у мене на одну історію більше. Сьогодні я дочитала восьму книжку про Енн Ширлі-Блайт і її родину — «Рі
writer...
An amazing story re-published with the many [4500] former publication cuts now replaced and included... edited by Benjamin Lefebvre, this special edition includes Montgomery’s complete, restored, and unabridged original text as well as a thoughtful introduction, detailed glossary, maps of Europe during the war, and war poems by L.M. Montgomery and her contemporary Virna Sheard.

In my latest story, “Rilla of Ingleside,” I have tried, as far as in me lies, to depict the fine and splendid way in whi
Hannah
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-favs, own, 2016
(First read May 19-June 3, 2015)
My goodness.

This book just ripped my heart out and stomped all over it!

Oh, this book is beautiful!

Rilla, you're such a plucky young woman! I loved seeing your transformation from naive teenager to strong, capable lady.

The way you took care of Jims. I knew you'd love him by the end. How did you ever give him up? How?!

Poor Anne, she feels everything so strongly! It was horrible to imagine her worrying and pain during those long, long four years. But she stuck t
Kate
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, j, history, classics
This review is specifically for the new 2010 Penguin Canada edition 978-0-670-06519-6 with an intro and glossary and the inclusion of the text that has been missing in editions published since the mid-seventies. Benjamin LeFebvre and Andrea McKenzie have added some great background about WWI in Canada, the place of this particular book in WWI literature, and notes about many of the literary references. And that's great. But even better is reading the missing text. I was expecting that what was e ...more
Vilja / Kirjaneito
Yksi kaikkien aikojen lempikirjoistani. Annan nuoruusvuosien ja Annan unelmavuosien ohella suosikkini Montgomeryn rakkaasta sarjasta. Itken tämän parissa joka kerta saavillisen kyyneliä. (Meinasin oikeasti ruveta itkemään keskellä työpäivää kun kirja oli kesken ja tuli yhtäkkiä mieleen lisävuoteita pedatessa :D) Kotikunaan Rilla on uskomattoman kauniisti kirjoitettu, hauska, viehättävä ja koskettava teos.

Suosittelen muuten lämpimästi lukemaan alkukielellä! Suomennosta on tosiaan lyhennetty ja v
Rebecca
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I partly listened and partly read this and I cried both times. Not that there was much to cry about as I am sure there are more poignant books dealing with war and its effects. But this one talked of the plight of the womenfolk whose men were at war ,the anguish of mothers , the anxiety of sisters and lovers over their loved ones. And so I cried for Anne whose sons were fighting it, And I cried for Rilla whose brothers were fighting it.

My only complaint is that there is very little of Anne here
Play Book Tag: Rilla of Ingleside by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars 1 9 Jun 19, 2017 11:34PM
Walter.... 6 104 Jan 20, 2017 08:54AM
"Pacifism and Strangers are Evil"? 15 134 Nov 26, 2014 08:44PM
Kenneth Ford 3 84 Aug 17, 2014 05:30PM
RoI - trimmed?! 3 41 May 31, 2014 01:29PM
I only wish she talked about... 3 89 Apr 07, 2014 03:28PM
  • Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy, #10)
  • Noelka (Jeżycjada, #7)
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • Panna z mokrą głową
  • Long May She Reign (The President's Daughter, #4)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • The Road to Yesterday (Anne of Green Gables, #9)
“The body grows slowly and steadily but the soul grows by leaps and bounds. It may come to its full stature in an hour.” 271 likes
“There was something in her movements that made you think she never walked but always danced.” 199 likes