Start by marking “Ultimate X-Men Collection, Book 1” as Want to Read:
Ultimate X-Men Collection, Book 1

Ultimate X-Men Collection, Book 1

(Ultimate X-Men (Collected Editions) #1-2)

Collecting the groundbreaking first year of the Ultimate X-Men in one colossal trade paperback! The world stands on the brink of genetic war, Mankind has made the first move, launching an army of giant, cybernetic executioners called Sentinels--programmed to target and eliminate the mutant DNA strand. Now, Magneto and his mutant terrorist cell are preparing to follow throu ...more
Published April 26th 2006 by Marvel (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate X-Men Collection, Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate X-Men Collection, Book 1

Start your review of Ultimate X-Men Collection, Book 1
Donovan
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it

Mark Millar is awesome. I've only read a few Claremont and Whedon X-Men books, but this is the best X-Men I've read so far. And I'll explain why, in detail.

The thing is, there's no set version of the X-Men as characters. That's the beauty of various writers and different stories, it's a varying spectrum of characterization. I would argue there are specific, recognizable qualities inherent to each character, and it behooves the writer to stay close to those qualities so the reader can better enj
Richard
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wow, I'm so disappointed with this. I've been an X-men fan since I was a kid and I've been trying to slowly read through most of the modern X-men stuff that I missed once I stopped reading comics in the late 90's. I thought I'd try out the Ultimate universe X-men as well. And while I always appreciate a good modern updating, this was not what I was hoping for. I don't mind changes being made to the characters and storylines, I just want them to actually be good and also still have some of the es ...more
Jesse A
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This is fine. I cant see the Ultimate universe X-men being all that different from the main universe X-men.
Ronyell
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ultimate X-Men fans!!!
Brief History:

When I first heard about Marvel making a separate X-Men series entitled “Ultimate X-Men,” I was a little hesitate in reading it at first because it was going to be a totally different version of the classic X-Men series that I grew up with. But when I read this small collection of “Ultimate X-Men” stories written by Mark Millar along with artwork by Adam Kubert, I was actually blown away by how interesting and exciting this collection really is!

What is the story?

This coll
Baba
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ultimate X-Men #1-12 and #1/2. Mark Millar's Ultimate X-men book tied to the grittier and more realism based Ultimates franchise. Same ol' story but with Colossus, Logan and Storm in the original team with Scott, Jean, Hank and Bobby. There's are great renditions of Magneto, Weapon X and the Brotherhood.. not so much with the Hellfire Club or the Phoenix Force. A top drawer open salvo by Millar and co. 8/12
Vince
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Comics fans anywhere!
Millar has a knack for creating rich characters and engaging dialog, with just enough humor to keep it fun. After meeting Mark at Wizard World Chicago 2007, I can say that his writing is most definitely a mirror of his personality.

If you've ever wondered where to start with X-Men, but were concerned you'd encounter flat, stereotypical hero archetypes, this is the book for you. Millar will suprise you. And the art is simply amazing, to boot.
Brandt
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
When I posted my review for Ultimate Spider-Man: Ultimate Collection vol. 1 on Facebook, my friend Andy (who is much more well read in comics than I am) used it as a platform to launch into a diatribe on his dislike for Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men. I had made mention in my Ultimate Spider-Man review that there was good Bendis and bad Bendis, and while taking a shot at Millar, Andy lauded the good Bendis: "This was Bendis I liked. Taking his time in setting up a new universe where superheroe ...more
Josephine (biblioseph)
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
So, wow. Really cool. I didn't read all the extra stuff at the back, I was too itchy to get onto the second collection...

Alright, part one is Tomorrow People, which is such a great story because I love Magneto against Professor X. (I saw First Class prior to reading this, so I was primed for good chemistry, and even though they only meet face to face for a short time, you know these guys have history. It's different than the movies, but they're killer, for sure.)

Next part is Return to Weapon X,
Kimberly
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this take on the beginning of the X-men and the story of Weapon X. I admit that I haven't read many graphic novels or comic books on either topic, but from what I have learned from the tv series and the movies, this was darker and grittier. I only wish that marvel had the rights to the X-men as there were many hints to other franchises in this (S.H.I.E.L.D. , Captain America, Spider Man and probably more). Reading this has definitely awakened a thirst in me to read more. ...more
Kati
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful artwork and great story. This was my first X-Men comic book - though I'm a big fan of the movies - but I hadn't even finished it yet and I was already ordering Book 2, so that's telling. Like always, I was mostly interested in Charles and Erik's story. Which was quite interesting in this volume. I'm curious what happened to Magneto and if Professor X knows... ...more
Evan Dossey
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eh. I'll let this review be a stand-in for all of Mark Millar's run on the "ultimate x-men" title, which he launched as the sister title to Bendis' (far superior) "Ultimate Spider-Man" title. Millar is known for his bombastic, offensive, and utterly moronic attempt to tell 'mature' (i.e. sex (PG13) and violence (Pg13)) superhero stories to appeal to teenage audiences. His ouvre is defined by this kind of shit. I sound negative, and for the most part I do dislike his work, but some of it I love.

L
Jason Tanner
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
The Marvel Ultimate Universe was a big deal when it first came about in the year 2000, with fresh imaginings of Marvel's core properties by dynamic new creators without the yoke of decades of intricate continuity. It was a chance to explore the core of the characters and rebuild them from the ground up. (And to, you know, pitch movie studios looking for comic book stories.)

Really though, twenty years on, Ultimate X-Men just isn't all that good. It's not all that groundbreaking, it changes very l
David Muñoz
Feb 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Series is pretty good. I do think sometimes it’s a bit extreme, but all around a decent twist on the X-men. Adams artwork I’m a big fan of. Although I do prefer his work in Ultimate Fantastic Four. I feel like he gets a bit lazy with some of his panels. Mark Millar is the main writer and like I mentioned he does a pretty good job of switch it up with the X-men but I just didn’t think it was as big as the other Ultimate titles. So far at least. Pretty good start just didn’t wow me as much as the ...more
Adam
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Just like volume 2, I really enjoyed this newer take on the X-men. I liked the way the team came together, the way they characterized the various characters, and the fairly epic plotline. The artwork as a whole was really good too, with some great multipage spreads. Occasionally the facial expressions were a bit funny, but I think that as the only thing lacking in the artwork. Looking forward to reading more in this series!
Brian James
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
In late 2018 I came back to Marvel comics in a BIG way (after 35 years away). It's still a daunting task going through the many trades I've bought but i took a quick look at some of the first I bought (the three U X-men volumes). I can't STAND the cheesy almost Manga-esque artwork and the dialogue isn't killing me either. This isn't a Marvel era that will grab me, clearly..

They go on ebay today.
Jonas Mccaffery
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I remember liking this series when it came out 17 years ago, but rereading it now (*sigh*)
This revamp of the X-Men is like their uniforms: sleek, modern, and unimaginative. If you can redesign these characters, why do they look and act so similar to the older versions.
Jen
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm going through the Marvel 'Ultimate' titles and this one wasn't too bad. Some of the others are cringe-worthy - little plots and really unlikeable characters. ...more
Paxton Holley
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Collecting the first 12 issues of Ultimate X-Men from 2001. This is awesome. I really, really liked this run. I am actively looking for Volume 2 now.
Dan
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I remember when this first came out, the first big reboot that I can recall of the X-Men series. The whole idea was to create a new continuity that new fans, introduced to the characters from the movies, could experience a more modern vision of the X-men without being weighed down by decades of continuity.
This volume contains 2 graphic novels. The first, the Tomorrow People, brings the band together. Beast, Storm, Iceman and Colossus join Prof. X, Jean Grey and Cyclops in their struggle against
Jabberjawocky
Feb 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Rather spectacular re-imagining of the X-Men and goes to show the highest aspirations of the Ultimates titles. "The Tomorrow People" brings fans right into the heart of the action, as the newly founded X-Men team is facing down government-sanctioned violence in the form of the Sentinel program. The usage here is at least moderately incredible and it was great to see the Sentinels shine as an antagonist, even if they were more of a supporting villain in some senses (with the real villain being pu ...more
Daniel
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a weird one. Ultimate Spider-Man was an initiative to take the beloved character, stick him back in high school and remove the weight of canon, all for the purpose of engaging a new generation of fans who would be more familiar with him through the Raimi film. Ultimate X-Men sort of has this same purpose - more important considering how complicated the X-Men canon had become around this time - but doesn't have a hook to it, other than "Hey, the Claremont lineup sure was great huh?"

But i
Mike Cruden
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This trade paperback (I read the paperback version, not the hardback) collects the first twelve issues of the Ultimate X-Men comic series. If you've not read any then prepare to be amazed, astounded, surprised etc. What author Mark Millar has done is to turn your favourite X characters through 180 degrees so for some of them the only aspect they have in common with their normal Marvel Universe versions is their powers. Both the story arcs are engaging and entertaining and are more sophisticated ...more
Emily G
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a retelling of the X-Men story and I enjoyed it. Although I can't say that I ever quite got used to the new character designs, and whoever thought that 'Marvel Girl' was a good codename for Jean Grey, needs to think again!

The three stories included are:

The Tomorrow People, which sees Professor Xavier bringing together the X-Men to fight Magneto. Magneto sends Wolverine to kill the Prof but things do not go according to Magneto's plan!

Burial Service is a short story, which tells us m
Corinne Zilnicki
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
The first 12 issues of Ultimate X-Men combined in one book? Pretty awesome! Here we see the familiar mash-up of compassionate and scholarly Charles Xavier VS. war-hungry Magneto. We also discover how the X-Men came to be, and how Wolverine became entangled with the group. The second half of the book focuses on the mysterious Weapon X program, the shadow-ops program responsible for Wolverine's transformation into a killing machine.

I liked this, but I didn't love it. At least, not as much as I lov
William Clemens
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I like this version of the X-Men, younger, a bit darker, and very action packed, but I don't love it.

I felt a bit like they were spending a lot of currency to make this series cool and edgy, and while it's nice that they weren't pulling punches it felt like they could have taken a lot more time with many of the things that happened here.

I've heard that Millar can be dark and violent and not care as much about characters, and I definitely see it here.

Having just felt the need to educate myself a
Andrew Christman
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I generally like Mark Millar's stuff and this is no exception.

Action always comes fast and furious when he's at the helm and we see more in the first 6.5 X-Men comics than the first two Ultimate Spider-man arcs, combined.

And that's great, except that the X-Men cast is so much more vast than Spidey. By the end of "The Tomorrow People" there's already a dozen important characters introduced. Millar has chosen to gloss over their back story in favor of action, filling in the blanks along the way w
Alex Jones
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was really enjoyable and easy to get into from someone who's only real X-Men knowledge is from the films. It contains two six-arc storylines and a small aside linking the two. The first, The Tomorrow People, sets up the X-Men and Magento's Brotherhood and is similar to the first X-Men film's storyline with the addition of sentinels from Days of Future Past. The second, Return to Weapon X, is similar to to the second X-Men film's storyline, but with the addition of Nick Fury. This made the p ...more
Colby twitchell
This is the first Graphic Novel I have read and to be honest it was very gripping...The depictions of actions through words and the pictures is very clear and deep. The pictures have hidden things throughout the novel that is fun to decipher. Mark Miller did a fantastic job on pulling this together.

I would recommend this book to those who are in for a new adventure or something different. Would highly recommend that those in the late teens or adulthood to read this novel.

Spoiler:
To be warned so
Lucas
Oct 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Decent I guess. Unlike some of the other graphic novels I've been reading the X-men are a lot more familiar because of the movies. It would be more interesting if the story were self-contained rather than just a reboot- it's hard to generate excitement when it's a given no major characters will be killed because they need to be around for years to come.

I wish the artists would stay consistent over an entire six issue storyline.

• All-New Wolverine, Volume 5: Orphans of X
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 5
  • DCeased
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fantastic
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 3
  • Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck: The Richest Duck in the World (The Don Rosa Library, #5)
  • Batman: Last Knight on Earth
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 7: Blockbuster
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 8: Mecca
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2: Doom
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more

Ultimate X-Men (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People