Start by marking “Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More” as Want to Read:
Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More

Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More

Is there anything more satisfying than a well-made Asian dumpling?

Plump pot stickers, spicy samosas, and tender bāo (stuffed buns) are enjoyed by the million every day in dim sum restaurants, streetside stands, and private homes worldwide. Wrapped, rolled, or filled; steamed, fried, or baked–Asian dumplings are also surprisingly easy to prepare, as Andrea Nguyen demonstra
Published August 25th 2009 by Ten Speed Press

Start your review of Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More
Robert Beveridge
Andrea Nguyen, Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyoza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More (Ten Speed Press, 2009)

Asian dumplings are almost a staple food for anyone who patronizes Chinese restaurants. In most places, you have a choice of one or two types (even at most buffets), but every once in a while you stumble across a dim sum restaurant, or a place where they've got a gifted dumpling maker in the kitchen, and you get a better survey of the available options. But I have yet to run across a restauran
F.S.
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction, food
Love, love, love dumplings. This book took me a while to get into, because after reading the first part of the book, making dumplings seemed complicated. But once you figure out that dumpling dough is literally just flour and water, and that you're being given instructions for how to cook dumplings in a myriad of ways (you only need to pick one!) you're off and running. Flavors are authentic - looking forward to trying out many more recipes from this book this year.
Gregsamsa
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I cannot recommend the spring rolls in this book fervently enough. I cannot recommend the recipe for samosa dough AT ALL. Do not use it. I don't care how neatly you seal them, how carefully you crimp them, or how hermetically fused they seem when they're raw, those suckers will split open when they hit the oil. Stick to the more basic flour/oil/salt/water/spice version and you'll be fine.
Pattie Tierney
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the most comprehensive guides to making Asian dumplings that I've ever read. Good background, detailed instructions, ample illustrations, lots of pictures, and a wide variety of recipes for all tastes and skill levels.
Jeannie
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WONDERFUL BOOK. Highly recommended! The kindle version comes with embedded instructional videos that demo inside secret tips and tricks. Tons of recipes to build upon...
Jessica Cao
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I would highly recommend this book to anyone starting out their adventure into the world of dumpling.
Nick
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: culinary
I was never afraid of rolling an egg roll or lumpia and have steamed a few dumplings in my life, but this book seriously upped my game by urging homemade wrappers (quite easy) and nudging towards more complex folds (not so easy). Also fascinating is the classification of dumplings along with bao, pakoras, and other south Asian, SE Asian dishes. I only wish it had more photographs, and clearer illustrations on the more complex folds. But if you enjoy an hour and a half of kitchen “meditation” tim ...more
Fred Kohn
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I loved reading this book which was as much an adventure into Asian culture as it was a cookbook. The recipes are all labor-intensive, and I will likely try only a few of them. The one I tried so far was amazing!
Kristi
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've made so many recipes from this book! YUM
Garrett McCord
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One word: Gyoza. This book is a bible for me, especially when it comes to freezing dumplings for Christmas gifts. This books gets a serious workout in my kitchen as do all of Nguyen's books.
Clivemichael
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, instruction
Comprehensive guide to the process, excellent diagrams and photos.
Darren
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Who would have thought that the humble dumpling could have so many variants, be so different and yet relatively simple to make. When one eats a dumpling, whether Dim Sum, Samosa, Spring Roll or other Asian forms one can be forgiven for writing them off as simple fare, yet reality can be a lot different.
In an explosion of mouth-watering colour the author has put the humble dumpling dish under the spotlight and makes the reader understand that a simple-looking foodstuff is, in fact, a collection o
Robert Durough, Jr.
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Andrea Ngyuen’s Asian Dumplings: Mastering Gyōza, Spring Rolls, Samosas, and More had me reminiscing of my time living in China, eating stuffed steam buns for breakfast and fried dumplings late at night from a street vendor that hung around when everyone else had cleared the roads outside my apartment. Nguyen does an excellent job describing different kinds of dumplings, buns, rolls/wraps, and pastries from East, Southeast, and South Asia. Actually, it made me a little homesick.

There are some be
Millicent
Dec 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cook-books, reviewed
I have no idea why this book gets the great reviews it gets on amazon and on goodreads. I tried out 6 recipes and all ranged between mediocre to catastrophe. I just finished making Indian sweet dumplings and they collapsed in the syrup for it. Seriously fuck this book. I love dumplings and I was looking forward to learning some great techniques on making various types of dumplings. I think the author should have given tips on how to use store bought square wonton sheets, because not all of us ha ...more
Cindy
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I've made the wheat starch dough and 2 types of dumplings from this book so far, har gow and chiu chow. Delicious and the taste was spot on for both. The directions are excellent--good descriptions of how things should feel and look, and she offers clear techniques that are easy to follow. I am not left wondering how to achieve a certain fold. The tips are also very helpful. I can discern that Andrea Nguyen is a very accomplished, thoughtful, and thorough food writer who has tested her own recip ...more
Natalia
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is my all time favourite cookbook. I love how she covers basics from shapes to ingredients. I spent 5 days in a row making dumplings.

I think its organized perfectly, especially by dough type, so its easy to plan out recipes in advance. I tackled basic doughs first for my 5 day marathon.
My faces include Pork and Napa Cabbage Water Dumplings = awesomeness. Pea pod shape and half moon shape mastered. ChasaoBao were pretty tricky but camera out delicious. Shaomai were great but the open satche
Christina
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've made only a couple recipes so far for gyoza and dipping sauces, but am pleased overall. The gyoza turned out looking spectacularly with a delicious tender and crispy texture. The accompanying dipping sauce tasted spot-on. The only complaint so far is for the gyoza filling. The texture was good, but I will double the amount of seasoning next time since the flavor was rather bland. Nevertheless, the instructions for making and assembling the dumplings are very clear, and the photographs are e ...more
Barbara Morgenroth
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite cookbooks. One to grab when the zombie apocalypse begins. Andrea Nguyen makes the process so simple, so understandable that it's very unlikely you'll go wrong. There are many beautiful photos, many step-by-step instructions. This is one instance where everything came together to produce a cookbook that really gets it right.
Kali
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
This was fun to read, but making dumplings is a lot of work. I also bought it about a month before I gave up carbs, so until I figure out how to make a good steamed bun with coconut flour, I'm out of luck...
Charcoal
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The book has a wide variety of different dumpling recipes. It also has instructions for how to make the wrappers yourself. There are a good number of pictures in there. I don't think I would make any of the items in the book, though.
Shannon
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I thought the recipes were too wordy and could have been much more direct and succinct. I really appreciated the short cuts she included, like using refrigerated puff pastry instead of making your own. I made the samosa which turned out well.
Danielle Lei
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome!!! A great base to start from!!!
Julie
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edible-treats
We are by no means dumpling experts. The main reason we bought this book was to get ideas for different dough and fillings. This is a great book on both.
Rob Durante
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Great book. I love dumplings and there are many good ones to choose from. They are fun to cook and even better to eat.
Catherine Woodman
Phenomenal range of my absolute favorite food--empanadas, shu mei, bao, samosas...and on and on...
Stepha
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
solid directions on a variety of dumplings... but best of all, FOOD P*RN!
Patricia
Nov 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The best book on the subject I've seen. Techniques clearly demonstrated.
Letta Raven
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I already marked beef & sweet potato turnovers, spiced pineapple filled pastries and fresh mint chutney for sometime in the next week to make! ...more
Katie
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is mmmmmmmmm....and so easy to follow, amazing flavor, excellent directions, momos to die for.
rachel
Apr 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
dumpling recipe 1 DONE. and might i also add DELICIOUS.

Very detailed descriptions of exactly how to make dumpling wrappers and their contents.

• The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook
  • Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients
  • The Sprouted Kitchen: A Tastier Take on Whole Foods
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • The Pleasures of Cooking for One
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • Vintage Cakes: Timeless Recipes for Cupcakes, Flips, Rolls, Layer, Angel, Bundt, Chiffon, and Icebox Cakes for Today's Sweet Tooth
  • The Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook: More Than 100 Recipes From the Best Little Bakery In the South
  • Plenty
  • Alinea
  • The Essential Thomas Keller: The French Laundry Cookbook  Ad Hoc at Home
  • The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • Joy of Cooking
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
A bank examiner gone astray, Andrea Nguyen is living out her childhood dream of being a writer, editor, teacher, and consultant. Her impactful books—Into the Vietnamese Kitchen, Asian Dumplings, Asian Tofu, The Banh Mi Handbook, and The Pho Cookbook—have been recognized by the James Beard Foundation, International Association of Culinary Professionals, and National Public Radio for their excellenc ...more