Start by marking “Bourbon Street Blues (Scotty Bradley, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bourbon Street Blues (Scotty Bradley, #1)

Bourbon Street Blues

(Scotty Bradley #1)

Native boy Scotty Bradley knows how to bend his hometown's every unwritten rule. it doesn't hurt that he's buff, boyish, and completely irresistible, with a job by day as a personal trainer...and the occasional night gig dancing on the bar for rent money. Hey, it's a living. Scotty likes his relaxed life, living upstairs from the coddling lesbian couple he calls his auntie ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Kensington (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Bourbon Street Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bourbon Street Blues

Start your review of Bourbon Street Blues (Scotty Bradley, #1)
Ije the Devourer of Books
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious and wacky start to a new series and I really enjoyed it!!

A very entertaining murder mystery.

Meet Scotty, personal trainer and part time gay go-go dancer. Scotty is a much loved gay man with a great family and a great sense of self. He has two sets of conservative grandparents, hippy parents and a brother and sister who adore him. He is also born and bred in New Orleans and very much a child of that City. New Orleans is home.

Scotty is a fitness trai
Robert Dunbar
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviews
Good sleazy fun is nothing to be ashamed of. What else could readers require from a gay thriller? Spiced with torrid sex, violent conspiracies, male strippers, murder and still more torrid sex, Bourbon Street Blues certainly doesn’t lack flavor. Okay, so maybe it’s not for the more sensitive literary palate. After all, the main character’s name is Dick Dansoir. No, really. At least, he calls himself that professionally. “Dick” is an exotic dancer and personal trainer in New Orleans. He’s also quite t ...more
Jace Payne
Bourbon Street Blues was an entertaining read, but it took a while before the story really got going. The characters are fun and vividly described, including the main protagonist, Scotty Bradley. As he gets sucked into trouble, the story starts to flounder. His reactions to certain events is unrealistic, especially when they are potentially life-threatening.

Scotty is a free spirit. He isn't looking to find a guy to settle down with, yet there are a couple of possible love interests,
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
It's been so long since I've read a paper book...I didn't realize how much I miss turning the pages.

I really enjoyed the characters, and the setting. When the action started, it stayed pretty fast paced.
The romance is low, but that's good. I like when a series builds up to the romance. I want to see the whole thing unfold, not just jump into the HEA. It's more interesting to see the bonds unfold over a few books.

Scotty isn't one to settle down with one person. I'm g
Kate Roman
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
A quick and zany romp through New Orleans' gay pride festivals, with your tour guide, a male exotic dancer and part-time personal trainer. So cute!

I really liked the main character and his cast of friends and family--especially his two siblings, both of whom have coped with their parents' super-hippy upbringing in very different yet totally believable ways. I adored Scotty hooking up with his gorgeous dancing burgling friend, even if I thought his other romance was a little less believable. ...more
Jen
Dec 06, 2016 marked it as to-read
Darn! I can't find an ebook version of this anywhere :-(
Charlie
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't often read mysteries but as I have an interest in New Orleans and Tarot, this was a must-read for me. The main character is something unique in fiction, a tarot reading, go-go dancing personal trainer who is tasked with solving a murder. The set up of the characters was fun, and while Scotty tends to be a little arrogant and superficial... that's sort of what I would imagine from a go-go dancing personal trainer.

I was expecting some implausible things to happen (this isn't th
Mark
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I'm open to a fun, sexy mystery (not everything has to have the gravitas of Poirot), the POV character Scotty was just too vapid for me to get behind. A psychic stripper has the potential to be an interesting character, but it felt too much like he was just breezing through it all to the end. I'm afraid that the concept behind the book is more interesting to me than the actual story.
Jillian MacLeod
Entertaining and decently written, but the mystery/thriller was full of logical holes. I'll probably still read the rest of the series, though, eventually.

Herren's characters come from a gay subculture I've never been a part of, so they're a little alien to me but no less believable.
Serena Yates
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
What a wild ride! Picture a personal trainer and exotic dancer involuntarily turned detective because a client of his is murdered, an old friend asks for help, and there are suddenly weird goings-on all around him. Well, more weird than usual. All of this is set in the somewhat sleazier part of New Orleans during Pride celebrations. See where this is going?

This story had me at "Dick Dansoir", which is the main character's professional name when he dances. Okay, so he does a little mo
A.E.
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
New Orleans is a frequent go-to of authors, especially paranormal romance and urban fantasy writers, who do their best to capture all its uniqueness and exotic flavors, but few get it right. Few do the Crescent City justice and make it pop off the page. Greg Herren's "Bourbon Street Blues" shows us how it's done. He describes the city with the intimacy only a native would have, making it sizzle and snap off the page.

"Bourbon Street Blues" introduces us to Scotty Bradley aka Dick Dansoir, a pers
Writerlibrarian
This is Greg Herren second detective series. This one features Scotty Bradley, exotic dancer, private trainer, youngest child of hippy parents who makes his home in New Orleans. Scott is a healthy young man, completely at ease with his body, his mind and his life. Being gay is just what he is. No drama here. No family drama. His parents are more marginal than he is. The plot is centered around right wing activists that want to blow up NO during the big gay festival. Scotty gets involved innocent ...more
Jimmy
This is the first book I've read from Herren, and I liked it. At first, Scotty really got to me. I thought he was really very conceded about himself and his body. I wanted to see him knocked down a peg or two. But, by the end of the story, I realized he was just repeating himself, like he was trying to convence himself that he was very hot, even though he has few to none clients.
I could tell that Herren really lives and loves his town of New Orleans. It's like you are truely there, that no othe
Mark
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Though it's hard not to like the story's hero-after all he keeps telling us he's irresistable--the real star of the show here is New Orleans. The author clearly knows and loves his city and presents it here in affectionate detail. He's captured its breezy fun-loving spirit in his characters and the plot. That in itself is enough to make this book a fun escapist read. It doesn't go far enough to be any more than that, though. It splits the difference between comedy and thriller. The plot takes fo ...more
Terry
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Being the first book in a new series you could almost forgive the author for the meandering start to this book with the need to set up the scene, conditions, locations etc, but personally I found it a little confusing until the mystery story started proper. When finally we got to the "meat" of this book (and no I am not talking about Frank - who I personally would love to meet!) the story took off like a roller coaster, not knowing for sure who were the goodies and who were the baddies until wel ...more
Lori
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, glbt, series
I heard about this series on a book forum here, and found the first two in the series free on Paperback Swap. Main character is Scotty Bradley, personal trainer and occasional exotic dancer in gay nightclubs, who lives in New Orleans’ French Quarter. (pre-Katrina, publication date is 2003) During Southern Decadence weekend, Scotty picks up an unusual "tip" while dancing – a computer disc from a fringe religious group containing plans to bomb the Quarter during Decadence. It’s an okay story, with ...more
Darenna
Aug 11, 2008 added it
Shelves: mystery
Because I'm not currently accepting applications for anymore gay boyfriends, I started reading this series and I really, really love the charactor Scotty. I can't wait to read the second. It's not exactly litrature but it's enjoyable. The city of New Orleans is a second charactor, also a big plus for me. The sex scenes are fairly graphic so if you're uncomfortable, maybe not for you.
Suzanne
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! I read a review that claimed it had "graphic" sex scenes...it didn't! Sex is a part of it, yes, but the story, plot development and characters make this one hell of a good read! Written pre Katrina, it foresees some events, which made it even more vivid to read in 2013. Well done Mr. Herren! I'll be devouring the rest of the series soon!
Joseph
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it

Anyone who knows me knows I love a good gay themed mystery. I started this series, and found the main character intriguing! Set in New Orleans, Scotty Bradley, is a fitness instructor, who's a go go dancer in the evenings. What's interesting is he's slightly psychic, has visions and reads tarot cards. The mystery part was fascinating, and it was a quick exciting read. Now, on to book 2!
Dianne Landry
Jun 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I should have liked this book. My best friend is gay, I dated a stripper for 3 years and I love New Orleans. Instead I hated this book. Scotty is so self-centered that he just wasn't bearable. I returned it to the library.
Grey853
Oct 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gay, detective
This is Greg Herren second detective series featuring Scotty Brady. I found the writing awkward and didn't really like the campy attitude of the first person narrator. I was very disappointed because I really wanted to like it.
Lori S.
The cover doesn't do the book justice. I like Scotty, he's bright, clever and a hard worker, though he has the ability to get himself into trouble... But then the book wouldn't be any fun otherwise, right?
Kristina
I really enjoyed this book. It was campy in places, and the sex wasn't as hot as a romance novel, but, then, it is more of a detective novel without the actual PI. I honestly liked the characters, secondary, as well as main. This would make a great weekend at the beach or ride on the train read.
Joe Cosentino
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A terrific romantic mystery with the heart of New Orleans.
William Freeman
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
A first book and one of those that tried too hard and from a reasonable start to a slightly no an unbelievable end. The New Orleans setting was good - there are better gay murder mystery writers.
Dolphe
Mar 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: alternative
This easily could have been a four (or even five star) rating if it had not fallen apart at the end. Still, it boasts a lot of quality elements which hopefully carry forth in subsequent offerings.
Michael
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: glbt, mystery, nola
This book combines 3 of my favorite things: NOLA, Mystery and glbt characters. It was a very enjoyable read and I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Chris
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, done, gay, 2011
3.5 stars. Good gay mystery about about an unrepentantly slutty personal trainer and go-go dancer who inadvertently comes across some information that someone's willing to kill to retrieve.
Randy Raetz
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Summer time beach reading, fluff
Julie Austin Edwards
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
First in the Scotty Bradley series. Rather enjoyed it & looking forward to read others in series.

• Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • Mr. Kiss and Tell (Veronica Mars, #2)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Meet Mr. Mulliner
  • A Wild Swan: And Other Tales
  • Hidden Identity (The Jimmy McSwain Files, #1)
  • Enigma Variations
  • The Shape of Night
  • Mahu (Mahu #1)
  • Deception in Darkness (In Darkness #3)
  • The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks #2)
  • The Art of Dying
  • Mark and Tony (Men of Smithfield #1)
  • Jon's Downright Ridiculous Shooting Case (Jon's Mysteries, #1)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
Greg Herren is a New Orleans-based author and editor. Former editor of Lambda Book Report, he is also a co-founder of the Saints and Sinners Literary Festival, which takes place in New Orleans every May. He is the author of ten novels, including the Lambda Literary Award winning Murder in the Rue Chartres, called by the New Orleans Times-Picayune “the most honest depiction of life in post-Katrina ...more

Scotty Bradley (8 books)
  • Jackson Square Jazz (Scotty Bradley, #2)
  • Mardi Gras Mambo (Scotty Bradley, #3)
  • Vieux Carré Voodoo (Scotty Bradley, #4)
  • Who Dat Whodunnit (Scotty Bradley, #5)
  • Baton Rouge Bingo (Scotty Bradley, #6)
  • Garden District Gothic (Scotty Bradley, #7)
  • Royal Street Reveillon (Scotty Bradley, #8)