Start by marking “The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium #2)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium #2)

The Girl Who Played With Fire

(Millennium #2)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  876,351 ratings  ·  35,798 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ISBN 9780307454553

Mikael Blomkvist, crusading publisher of the magazine Millennium, has decided to run a story that will expose an extensive sex trafficking operation. On the eve of its publication, the two reporters responsible for the article are murdered, and the fingerprints found on the murder weapon belong to his friend, the troubled genius
Published March 2010 by Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (first published June 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Played With Fire, please sign up.
Susan Lewis YES. You can follow the plot without reading the first. However, the first book is all about character development and the relationship between Blomqu…moreYES. You can follow the plot without reading the first. However, the first book is all about character development and the relationship between Blomquist and Salander. If you miss their shared history, you miss the foundation.
The whole trilogy is a "tale of revenge" which is why we find Salander's character so fascinating and her actions so satisfying. There are many characters and you won't get the same satisfaction if you don't know the back story.(less)
Cassy I read this first at age 24, relatively soonish after it came out. I am currently re-reading it almost a decade later and I find that the book has sig…moreI read this first at age 24, relatively soonish after it came out. I am currently re-reading it almost a decade later and I find that the book has significantly more meaning to me after more experiences in my life. I know I'm answering this question almost a year after you posting this, but I hope that if you do enjoy it, you take the time to re-read it later in life. =)(less)
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Espionage
1,003 books — 1,052 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownGone Girl by Gillian FlynnAnd Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
Top Fast-Paced Mystery
746 books — 672 voters

More lists with this book...

·  876,351 ratings  ·  35,798 reviews

Start your review of The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium #2)
Grace Tjan
ILLUSTRATED!

What I learned from this book (in no particular order):

1. Swedish billionaires furnish their multi-million dollar apartments with IKEA --- well, at least ONE peculiar Swedish billionaire.

[image error]
Poang Chair $40

2. Asperger's Syndrome may give you the idea that a T-shirt that says ‘I’M AN ALIEN’ is acceptable office wear, but also photographic memory and phenomenal mathematical ability.

3. "Sweden is one of the countries that imports the most prostitutes per capita from Russia and
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: An entirely different mood, pace and atmosphere than its predecessor, it thrives off the strength of a single character.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Oct 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I was worried I wouldn't like this one as much as book one but it was still great!

I love how Larsson has no issues writing very misogynistic characters without coming off as misogynistic himself. Some authors should take note.

With that said, while I understand that Salander is a morally grey character, I don't understand why the author felt the need for her to have sex with a 16yo when she's 25...
 Teodora
4.45/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

“Salander was the woman who hated men who hate women.”

Lisbeth Salander will always be my hero and that’s that.

I took a pretty long pause between The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and this and I thought it would take me longer to get into the story but boy, this second book of the Millennium series was on fire.

This is not a light read and it is definitely uncomfortable and sick, with some content warning attached to it, but after
Lisa Eskra
Oct 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first book was for the most part plot-driven. The 40-year old mystery took a while to unfold, but was interesting when it did. So was Lisbeth, although she wasn't the main focus. Enter, The Girl Who Played With Fire. The story has now turned character-driven with Lisbeth as the protagonist. But instead of having much of a plot of any character revelations about her early on, we read about her buying a new apartment, grocery shopping, and what furniture she picked out at IKEA in *great* detai ...more
Nataliya

Stieg Larsson doesn't really do subtle. If he thinks an issue is important, he will shout it from the rooftops. With a megaphone. But since he is condemning misogyny and violence towards women, I'm ok with that.

"Salander was the woman who hated men who hate women."
This book, much more than its predecessor, focuses on the tiny-but-tough Lisbeth Salander. We learn quite a bit about the fascinating and horrific backstory that led to Salander developing her unique, defensive, prickly personalit
Ahmad Sharabiani
Flickan Som Lekte Med Elden = The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2), Stieg Larsson

The Girl Who Played with Fire is the second novel in the Millennium series by Swedish writer Stieg Larsson. It was published posthumously in Swedish in 2006 and in English in January 2009.

The book features many of the characters who appeared in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2005), among them the title character, Lisbeth Salander, a brilliant computer hacker and social misfit, and Mikael Blomkvist, an
Will Byrnes
Aug 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the second of his three volume series (well, at least it was three until Larsson's heirs hired someone to make a fourth from his notes) centered on the remarkable researcher and hacker Lisbeth Salandar and journalist Mikael Blomkvist, Larsson has delivered a totally engrossing page-turner. About to publish a book that reveals many dirty secrets concerning the international sex trade in Sweden, Blomkvist is caught up in a deadly race for the truth when his two authors are murdered and Salandar ...more
Baba
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2020 review: Unbelievably good! Beyond doubt one of the best sequels that I have ever read. After the heights of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I didn't think it was humanly possible to maintain or surpass the levels reached by that first book, but Larsson does, and does it with aplomb!

Looking at a GIF from the film above, reminds me that I will never watch any of the movies. This is, and always be a masterpiece book of neo feminist noir crime/thriller fiction for me.

At the start of the book i
Brad
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am confident that Stieg Larsson has a reason for this, but Lisbeth Salander is not much of a heroine. Let's list her transgressions from The Girl Who Played With Fire (and these will be deliberately out of context):

1. She forces herself on a 16 year old boy in Granada.
2. She kills a man on the beach during a hurricane.
3. She shuts out Blomkvist for a very long time for a perceived slight, giving him no explanation.
4. She fails to take or show the necessary care with her ex-guardian after his s
Jeffrey Keeten
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nordic-noir
He had come.
He smelled of aftershave.
She hated the smell of him.
He...observed her for a long time.
She hated his silence.
Then he spoke to her. He had a dark, clear voice that stressed, pedantically, each word.
She hated his voice.
He laid the back of a moist hand on her forehead and ran his fingers along her hairline in a gesture that was probably intended to be friendly.
She hated his touch.

Lisbeth Salander is simply unforgettable.
 photo LisbethSalander_zpsc867bfba.jpg

I read the first book in this trilogy the year it was publ
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Very short review due to the glitches on GR.

This is the second book in the trilogy. I loved it and I loved the movie. The book bogs down a little but it's all good.

Lisbeth is back and doing her own thing.

Lisbeth has been away from Mikael for some time. But, they come back together when Lisbeth is accused of killing that jerk rapist of hers.

*****Spoiler*****

Lisbeth looks into a sex trafficking ring that Mikael is involved in and finds out some things about her past she didn't want to know.

He
Ken
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll always consider the Millennium series as a trilogy, this is due to all three original novels being adapted into movies in 2009.

It’s only taken me 10 years to finally read the books!

It’s true that the second volume isn’t as strong as the first, but the character of Lisbeth is so strong and fascinating that it’s hard to not get hooked by her exploits.

The trilogy is so good because this second volume explores her backstory and the reader gets a better sense of what makes her tick.
This part is
Tim
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Incredible! Inspiring! 10 of 10 stars!
Lazaros
A downright masterpiece. The action sequences, the constant tension continually building up to lead to a tremendous ending. Lisbeth freaking Salander, she may actually be one of the best, and most complex characters I've ever had the pleasure of reading about. Introverted, extremely genial, and dangerous if need be, she's the epitome of the formula to the creation of a super-intriguing character.

Like the first book, this was a complete investigation-kind-of-book. But unlike the first one, this h
James
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review
4 of 5 stars to The Girl Who Played with Fire, the second book in the Millenium thriller series written in 2006 by Stieg Larsson. Although I am very fond of this book, it wasn't quite as good as the first one, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. But it's a very strong follow-up sequel worth reading. It packs an even larger punch as far as violence and drama, as well as brings out the sexual chemistry and tension between Mikhail and Lisbeth. But this book is all about Lisbeth.
Dan
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three people are dead and Lisbeth Salander's finger prints are on the murder weapon. Can Mikael Blomkvist clear her name before the police find her? And what does Lisbeth's situation have to do with an expose of the Swedish sex trade two of the murder victims were working on?

I was afraid The Girl Who Played With Fire would suffer from the sophomore jinx. I'm pleased to say it did not.

Larsson must have figured out he had a good thing in Lisbeth Salander while working on The Girl With The Dragon T
Kai Spellmeier

Wow. Stieg Larsson did it again. He took my breath away.
Larsson's style of writing is unique. It is so very detailed and everything seems to be perfectly planned.
The characters are diverse and interesting and I am not only talking about Lisbeth Salander, the novel's heroine, but about most side characters as well.
This novel is full of nerve-wracking suspense and thrill, especially the beginning and the middle.
Howev
Helene Jeppesen
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75/5 stars.
This sequel to "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is brilliant! This is some of the best crime fiction that exists, in my opinion, and Lisbeth Salander remains one of my favourite fictional characters of all time.
The plot of this novel is clever and the diverse set of characters fascinating. The only reason why this novel is not just as good as the first one, is because it contains some passages that at times seemed dwelling and somewhat repetitive. That being said, the conclusion
Manny
Unfortunately not as good as Män som Hatar Kvinnor. He has gone too far, and Lisbeth Salander is no longer a fully credible person; also, the puzzle isn't as satisfying as in the first one.

Start geek-rant: as a former mathematician, I was annoyed by his sloppiness concerning Fermat's Last Theorem. To start off with, he misquotes it several times. And the whole idea that Lisbeth is able to solve it on her own in just a few months, with no formal mathematical training, is cheap. If this were the o
notgettingenough
Much later. After such insistence on preserving my idea of my father, my memory of our last meeting, this happened a couple of Fridays ago. I opened up some photos taken by my brother and there my father is, dead in his coffin. I must confess to being quite distressed. And I still don't understand why on earth is this something to preserve? I don't get it one little bit.

----------------
Hooked. Totally, completely, utterly hooked. I read this book yesterday during lunch even though I was with two
Amanda
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kick-ass, blog
If loving the Millennium books is wrong, baby, I don't want to be right.

In scanning through the other reviews, I have to concur with many of the problems mentioned: superfluous detail (specific IKEA furniture is mentioned several times--as if I know what any of it looks like just because I have the model number provided, sandwiches are made, coffee is brewed, Billy's Pan Pizzas are consumed); there's a real dearth of poetic or stylized language; there's a cast of hundreds (maybe not quite, but i
Bionic Jean
The Girl Who Played with Fire is the second novel in Stieg Larsson’s “Millennium Trilogy”. It is longer and more consistently written than the first. Lisbeth Salander is the central character in a plot about sex-trafficking. Women are being transported from Russia and The Baltics for prostitution and torture; furthermore some highly placed members of the Swedish government, police and business are implicated. There are twist and turns a-plenty, as Salander herself spends much of the novel being ...more
Elyse  Walters
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS 2nd book by Larsson. The "Tattoo" Girl (The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo), is a wonderful character --even better in `this` book! Keeps getting better......
I've already ordered the 3rd book from the United Kingdom. It comes out Oct. 1st.
Fabian
May 10, 2010 rated it liked it
There is ample description of our titular heroine in the first third of "The Girl Who Played with Fire." Lisbeth Salander is composing and arranging a new life for herself while still maintaining the baggage left over from her early years (tons of child abuse) and the occurrences of Book #1. And she's still acting, to put it nicely, quite unconventional. It is precisely this mask, as well as people's prejudices & judgements that make her the ideal infiltrator of conspiracies in the highest echel ...more
Jo (The Book Geek)
This book was pretty slow getting started, but when it did, it did it with stupendous style. Lisbeth Salander ran the show in this one, which I really loved. I liked Lisbeth in the first book, but in this one, we see more sides to her than ever before. Let me put this plainly, I want to slurp freshly brewed coffee and scoff Billy pan pizza's with this woman, even if she is a cold and calculated pain in the ass at times.

What I especially liked about this book, was all the weird twists and turns.
Melindam
What I expected:

description

What I got:

description

Also, I LOVE COFFEE, so I really don't need any marketing on beans & machines in a novel that's supposed to be about investigative journalism & almost superhuman hackers.

The title "The Girl who went to IKEA and H&M a lot & the journalist who loved his coffee" would be more fitting.

Poorly written and badly in need of editing (I know it was published posthumously, but still).
Anish Kohli
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Not him too.” “Not him too what?”
“Another admirer of Fröken Salander.”
Why yes, I am too! Lisbeth has earned herself another admirer. Well, not completely but mostly.

This was a BR with the Lisbeth Fanatic who promised me a mindfuck but unfortunately I didn’t get that and then the said fanatic disappeared soon after we commenced the journey got busy reading! ;)
Happy now? :P

This is a hard book to review without giving anything out and since I myself haven’t read the last part, I can’t say wha
Lyn
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larsson's second novel about Lisbeth Salander, or about MIkhail Blomkvist of Millennium Magazine, either as it may be, was a suspenseful gem.

A little slow to get started, this one lacked the steady momentum of the first, but the second half more than makes up for the inconsistent and morose first half. Larrson was immensely talented and it is a great shame that we can look forward to no more novels from him.

As Blomkvist was the center of attention in the first, Salander is definitely the subje
Sara (taking a break)
I liked The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, I thought it was clever and well-written and Lisbeth Salander is a unique and intriguing character, but I wasn’t knocked off my feet. I had the two follow up books on my shelf, but I wasn’t in a hurry to get to them, just thinking I would when I could. This week I picked up The Girl Who Played With Fire and stepped back into Lisbeth’s world, with a bang.

This book is even better than the first one, perhaps because you already have a feeling of knowing who

• The Girl in the Spider's Web (Millennium, #4)
  • The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Millennium, #5)
  • The Girl Who Lived Twice (Millennium, #6)
  • The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #1.1-1.2)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Book 1 (Millennium: The Graphic Novels, #1.1)
  • The Lost Symbol (Robert Langdon, #3)
  • Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4)
  • The Girl on the Train
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • Gone Girl
  • Angels and Demons / The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #1-2)
  • Digital Fortress
  • Deception Point
  • Sharp Objects
  • Love on the Line 2 (Women at Work, #2)
  • The Firm
  • Dark Places
See top shelves…
Stieg Larsson (born as Karl Stig-Erland Larsson) was a Swedish journalist and writer who passed away in 2004.

As a journalist and editor of the magazine Expo , Larsson was active in documenting and exposing Swedish extreme right and racist organisations. When he died at the age of 50, Larsson left three unpublished thrillers and unfinished manuscripts for more. The first three books ( The Girl

Millennium (7 books)
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3)
  • The Girl in the Spider's Web (Millennium, #4)
  • The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye (Millennium, #5)
  • The Girl Who Lived Twice (Millennium, #6)
  • The New Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millenium #7)

Articles featuring this book

Here’s some trivia for your next late-night conversation: The concept of the classical elements—earth, wind, fire, and water—originates in the...
“There are no innocents. There are, however, different degrees of responsibility.” 1120 likes
“Don’t ever fight with Lisbeth Salander. Her attitude towards the rest of the world is that if someone threatens her with a gun, she’ll get a bigger gun.” 408 likes