Start by marking “Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4)

Dog Days

(Diary of a Wimpy Kid #4)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  102,188 ratings  ·  4,972 reviews
It’s summer vacation, the weather’s great, and all the kids are having fun outside. So where’s Greg Heffley? Inside his house, playing video games with the shades drawn.

Greg, a self-confessed "indoor person,” is living out his ultimate summer fantasy: no responsibilities and no rules. But Greg’s mom has a different vision for an ideal summer . . . one packed with outdoor
Published October 12th 2009 by Amulet Books

To ask other readers questions about Dog Days, please sign up.

·  102,188 ratings  ·  4,972 reviews

Archit Ojha
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Archit by: Pooja
Shelves: ebooks
And Dog Days they are.

Dog days : noun

" When everything you do, the universe some how conspires to undo. "

- My very own dog, Eva [in the figure above]

There is a new pet in the family and bringing something into the family without the wife's consent is a bad idea.

Bringing "something alive" is suicide. Regardless to say Sweetie did not survive the entire book without being shipped.

Humor is all yours to loot.

The hatred for the comic galvanizing Greg and Mr. Heffley is something we can very much
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #4), c2009, Jeff Kinney
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is a novel written by American author and cartoonist Jeff Kinney, and is the fourth book in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. It was released on October 12, 2009 in the USA and October 13, 2009, in Canada. The film, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days, released on August 3, 2012, was based on the book and its predecessor, The Last Straw.
The book starts with Greg Heffley describing how he is more of an "indoor person
RandomAnthony
Oct 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this entire book on the sidelines of my eleven year old son's football game on a freezing October day in Wisconsin. I laughed so hard at parts that I think I disturbed some of the more intense observers of said game. That's ok. Middle school football is boring.

My favorite scenes from the book:

1. The idea that the wimpy kid and his dad are united in their hatred of a comic strip,
2. The email the wimpy kid sends his mom when he's on vacation with another family,
3. The one time he uses his e
Kenny Hernandez
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Greg has went to vaticon with with his best friend and greg got to go to got on the ride of his life . He scared the life out of hem.
Kittykat797
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I personally think that this one is the best one out of the whole entire series!!
Pooja
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-pages
Does the same person Gregory got troubles with, in his life ever going to stop their encounter with him?

And that's where the fun lies!
Gregory is having a summer time playing video game all day long. While his family is running after him to do something in summer.

His dad brings a dog to te family! Uh Uh He should have probably checked with his wife first! It's a family decision, isn't it?
Manny gets the dog saying Sweetie, and that's that!

Everyone is as fun as never before. Such a humorous rea
Nov 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This hilariously sharp comic book is written from the perspective of 11 year-old Greg, whose canny jokes and observations have become a series of popular books. Dog Days chronicles Greg's Summer holiday, which he wants to spend playing video games in his room, with the curtains shut and a cover over his head. Greg's mum, however, seems to think that Summer holidays should be spent doing 'useful things' such as running around outside, spending time with one's family and visiting the local pool.

Th
Mrs.
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Plan to finish this today! I like this much better than "The Last Straw". Anyone out there who has read the Wimpy Kid series agree or disagree? So far, my favorite part is Rowley thinking that Greg's family is rich because they ran out of toilet paper and were using Christmas napkins until Dad went to get more TP. Been there done that!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Greg Heffley wants to spend his summer indoors, relaxing, playing video games with his friend, Rowley, and watching late-night horror films. His mom has other ideas, however. She wants him to spend time with the family, improving his education, and playing outdoors.

Greg tries to implement his ideas of summer, but without much success. He tries to spend time with Rowley kicking back at his friend's father's country club, but gets permanently uninvited when h
Eddy N
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grade-8-ir-books
This book is the 4th edition of the diary of a wimpy kid. It talks about how greg in is normal life explains everyday moment he spends and reflects on it. Greg's dream is to stay home and play video games but his mom disaproves with that so she kicks him out of the house the whole day so he could go and play games. Greg didn't like that idea he was just thinking staying home playing video games with chips and the curtains closed.

I can make a text to text connection on this book because works h
Sandy Trand
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you would want to know how a life of a unfortanate teenager goes? Then read the Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days. It is about a kid who is in middle school and faces a lot of problems. He faces pretty much faces all the problems you could think of. The main character Greg Heffrey is stuck as a middle child and a social outcast. His younger brother Manny and his older brother Rodrick drive him absulutly nuts with their crazy ways of doing things. His best friend Rowlery Jefferson and own a lot o ...more
Tej P
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Dog Days
By: Jeff Kinney
Realistic Fiction
216 Pages

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Dog Days is a book about A kid named Greg Heffley. He is funny. This book is about how Greg Heffly spends his summer. But Greg Heffley doesn't spend his summer out side. He stays inside and plays video games. But Greg's mom doesn't like him playing video games. But she thinks of having family vacation and doing activities together. Greg and his friend Rowley do weird stuff during summer vacation. Greg's mo
[Shai] Bibliophage
I was expecting that this 4th book could have loads of funny stories of Greg with a dog(s). I know expected too much but despite that, I did enjoy the diary entries written. I was just a little disappointed that Greg and his family didn't have that many happy memories with Sweetie while the dog is with them. But at least, his Grandma was able to keep the dog in the end. Maybe some are not really a dog person/people after all.
Jacob R.
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book in my opinion is great. It takes us back to those good old days of elementry and middle school. Even knowing a few of these events have actually happened to us. Filling sorry for the kid one second laughing at his wierd side the next, this book will keep you reading.

THis book relates to our lives in many ways, it reminds of those kids that where kind of off, and tells us some of there stories. Of course, these stories get as off and crazy, sometimes i even wonder if there is a plot!
Mel Mel
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing

this book has to be funny.
Look at the cover how can you not say no!!
Close Enough
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: english
in this book  Greg  was grounded  because he watched the muddy hand movie with his friend Rowley without the permission of his parents, so he was supposed to join his mom reading club in the neighbourhood ,eventually the club was down to one member , that was Greg !
He spent an horrible vacation with  Rowely's familly ; he got into a lot of troubles during that summer ..
The book was not funny at all at least for me , but it still easy read
Valeria De La Rosa
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think that the book Diary of a Wimpy Kid Dog Days was a very relate able.I think my whole class will enjoy this book very much because of the humor and the situations they might relate to.What I don't like is that every book has a different story that doesn't continue from the last one so it's like a gap between each book. My two most favorite parts would be when Greg's parents tell him that they got him a phone but they actually got him this cheap lady bug phone and when Greg's parents bought ...more
Kaoru Hamaguchi
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sergio
Recommended to Kaoru by: by me
In this story it is summer time and there is birthday for Greg. It looks nice for him ,but it is start of terrible time. Begging of Summer vacation Greg has 3 things that he want to do in his summer.First is going to beach second is day of end of "L'il Cutie" ,But son of Author have start new L'il Cutie He didn't fun at it. Second is Birth day ,but He didn't got good present and his uncle's dog ate birth day cake so he felled sad good thing is he was able to get fish for another present that ea ...more
Namratha
Apr 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Summer is ‘ere...in all scorching splendour. And much like Greg Heffley, I am content to live out the dog days of summer sitting pretty in a cozy, darkened room....surrounded by books, crisps and the waves of air-conditioned goodness.

Speaking of books, I had been oscillating between dire apocalyptic dramas and predictable mush fests. The resulting mood swings are NOT a pretty sight. I needed a quick, laugh-a-minute riot.

And The Diary of A Wimpy Kid Series fits the bill. Paying homage to the seas
Dana Salman
Well, I suppose it wasn't that bad. I expected it to be funnier, but granted I did think it was hilarious when they watched that retarded movie and got all paranoid, that sort of thing happened to me all the time when I was little (recalls Child's Play, *shudders*). Still, I find Greg a very detestful character: he's lazy, selfish, and incredibly dim-witted for a boy in middleschool (unless I'm mistaken and have no idea what a boy his age is like..I mean, my brother's in middle school and is sma ...more
Cassidy
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Diary of a wimpy kid (dog days) is about Greg and how he wants to spend his summer. He wants to sit inside all day and watch t.v. and play video games but his mom had other plans for him. She wants him to go outside and be active but he definitely doesn't like that. His parents want him to be more responsible. So he gets a job, well actually a fake job at the country club. He makes his family think he has a job while he relaxes all day at the country club. But things soon get complicated when he ...more
Jason
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is as dull as the previous 3 books, very similar stuff, Greg still isn't a nice kid and he needs some decent parenting, unfortunately his parents are pathetic so I don't see that happening soon. And you can't help but feel sorry for poor Rowley. Rodrick's pranks are brilliant, he has taken them to a new level here.

The thing that bugged me the most in this book was Greg gets 3 months off for his summer holidays! What the hell! who gets 3months off? When I was a lad it was an incredibly short
Trixie
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
5/5! I kept laughing out loud...literally. Need I say more?
Mya Edgecomb
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emma705
I think overall in this book Greg is not truthful. He writes everything in a diary and doesn't say anything, he always tricks his supposedly best friend in to doing things for him, and he lies to his parents. It seems to me he isn't a very loyal person.
Some people think they are so superior so they can just put other people down. And they are the greatest, and they use it to their advantage. By tricking the ones they love, lying to the people who are always there for them. And being manipulative
Crystal
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nov-2009
An interesting quick read that middle grade kids will enjoy.

Mixing a chapter book with comics and drawings on every page makes this easy and enjoyable to read. My son has read all of these books and was thrilled when his book fair coincided with the release week of this book.

The rating above is based on readability and the fact that my son loved it.

Now on to my personal thoughts:

I let him read through all of these and didn't think anything about it. Then my husband flipped through it and didn't
08sierrab
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Title:
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Author:
Jeff Kinney
Summary:
This book is part of Greg's funny journal focusing on his summer. Greg's idea of his summer vacation being a video game marathon. That was not Greg's mom's idea. This book is mostly about Greg's mom coming up with idea's (that end up not being good ideas at all) to keep Greg off of video games.
The first idea Greg actually like for a while. The idea was he would go with Rowley to the country club Rowley and his parents were a part
Tung
Jan 05, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
The fourth installment of the Wimpy Kid series focused on the life of middle school student Greg Heffley. Like the other books, this book is told via journal entries peppered with illustrations to enhance the humor. I found the first book hysterical, the second one less so, and the third possibly the best of the first three. I found Dog Days to be by far the worst of the series. The book focuses on the summer adventures of Greg, and somehow the removal of Greg from school also sapped much of the ...more
Kate
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am helping to moderate a children's book club this summer and this is the boys' first selection. While I bought some of this series for one of my sons, who was completely delighted by Gregg Heffley, I had never read a book completely. I get why he is such a popular kid and why the boys want to read about him, but I am not the audience or a fan. Part of this is that the book is told from his perspective and Gregg is very good at not taking responsibility for his bad behavior and mistakes. I can ...more
Edwin Soto
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
In this story it talks about how summer is going for this kid called Greg.His parents want Greg to do outside activities but Greg wants to have fun in summer by playing video games all summer.My favorite character in this story is Greg because he is very funny.I would recommend this book to people of like to laugh a lot and enjoy reading.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Dragonslayer (Babymouse #11)
  • The Battle of the Red Hot Pepper Weenies (Weenies, #4)
  • Big Nate on a Roll (Big Nate Novels, #3)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero
  • Can Adults Become Human?
  • Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4)
  • Paintball Blast
  • Guinness World Records 2009
  • Darth Paper Strikes Back (Origami Yoda #2)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May.) (Junie B. Jones, #25)
Jeff Kinney is an author of children's books including Diary of a Wimpy Kid book series. Jeff was born in College Park, Maryland, in 1971 where he created a comic strip called "Igdoof."He also created the children's website 'Poptropica'.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #1)
  • Rodrick Rules (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #2)
  • The Last Straw (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #3)
  • The Ugly Truth (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #5)
  • Cabin Fever (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #6)
  • The Third Wheel (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #7)
  • Hard Luck (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #8)
  • The Long Haul (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #9)
  • Old School (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #10)
  • Double Down (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #11)
“So if you want to find somebody to blame for the way i am, I guess you'd have to start with the public education system.” 159 likes
“hot pink looks cute on only janet which is MEEEEEEE!!!” 21 likes