Start by marking “Confessions of a Rebel Debutante” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Rebel Debutante

Confessions of a Rebel Debutante

2.64  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A delicious, laugh-out-loud funny Southern-fried memoir about growing up a "proper young lady"...or not.

A strict regimen of Southern-belle grooming should have prepared Anna Fields for a lifetime of ladylike behavior.

But it didn't.

As it turned out, Anna-a smart, outspoken, bookish girl- was a dud at debbing. After being kicked out of cotillion classes, the "Rebel Deb"
Published April 15th 2010 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published April 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Rebel Debutante, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Rebel Debutante

Shawna Jones
Jun 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
The only reason I picked this book up is because I went to high school with the author -- yes, the very same "Wellingham" she refers to in the book.

Content aside (don't worry -- I'll return to that) I honestly can't believe that this book ever got published, let alone that Anna writes for a living. The writing was juvenile, colloquial without the charm, poorly structured, and completely disorganized. Memoir or no, it was incredibly difficult to follow the frequent inexplicable jumps in time and
Lydia Presley
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, memoirs
There were things I loved and things I rolled my eyes at in this book. First of all, I want to say I did not pick this book up expecting it to be the end all and be all of memoirs - I expected something light and fluffy, and it was exactly that. My issues with the book were, in spite of some flashes here and there of laugh out loud humor, the first half of the book was fairly boring. It wasn't until the story spiraled into a "tell all" regarding notable names like Julia Stiles, Julia Roberts, Di ...more
Kate
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
The author gives us a good overview of southern debutante culture and protocol. She also has a few humorous anecdotes and touching stories. One in particular (don't want to give away the spoiler) is beautifully written.
That said, she ultimately doesn't have much to say--although I admit she says it cutely. There isn't a ton of substance here. Even her "rebel" credentials seem pretty dubious to me. Unless she was holding back in order to preserve her image, her "rebelliousness" was so mild as to
Mairzi
Horrible, horrible book. The cover art, title and jacket blurbs are by far the best part of this book. One has to wonder about the validity of the NYU Graduate writing program if this author is type of writer to whom the school gives a full scholarship.
Somewhere in this book are the ideas for some very funny stories. Unfortunately the author is totally unable to relate them to us in an amusing or interesting way. She is rude, condescending and narrow minded. (The Massachusetts joke was only slig
Tara Brant
Aug 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was horrible and a disgrace to any real southern girl. Fields needs to hire a new editor. Catfish don't have scales. What kind of 'tomboy' who goes 'catfishing' doesn't know that?

I started to keep track of all of the things in this book that I wanted to add in my poor review but it just added up to be so many that I am not even going to attempt. I will just say, "Don't waste you time reading this book." In an attempt to write a humorous book about being a Southern Reb Deb, Fields ends
Kelsey
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leila Cohan-Miccio
Feb 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
It's my own fault for being so obsessed with debutante culture, but oh lord, this book. Did she get paid extra every time she said "Rebel Deb?"
Loraine
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not crazy about the writing style sometimes I would be unsure of past or present status
Jill
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book, but three things made that difficult:

1. The narrator/author never comes across as someone I want to get to know. She claims she regales people at parties with these stories, but her stories are kind of dull. She’s hard to like.

2. The inaccuracies in this book are distracting. Having also been in high school in a small southern town in the 90s, I know she’s lying when she says nobody in the south had computers in 1995. Unless it took her 10 years to get through school,
LRK
May 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern
Tacky, mean-spirited, and not particularly well-written
Frances
Sep 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
I recently purchased the book 'Confessions of a Rebel Debutante'
at a dollar store for $1.00. I liked the cover,color, and description of it. But, I must say that when I began reading page 15, I found the writing to be extremely racist. The author mentioned that her state was invaded by Catholics, Mexicans, and carpetbaggers looking for cheap living and better weather, and that four children to one household was almost unheard of.

When I read that paragraph, I immediately threw her book in the tra
Deonnah Davis
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up based off the cover. I know, I know. They say don't judge a book by its cover. I loved the title and the wedding dress on the cover and began to think that this would be a good read. Being a "southern belle" myself, I wanted to see what this author had to say. I enjoyed this book a lot. I do want to question the reason for this being a memoir if this is not all true. The author changed more than just names according to former classmates of hers who have left reviews. That i ...more
Leslie
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
My local used book store is going out of business and I grabbed this off the shelves in the fiction section and thought it sounded fun for 50% off.

Once I got it home and started reading I was surprised to discover it was a non-fiction book; but I didn't let that deter me.

As a Yankee who is 20 years older than the author I began looking at it like a low budget Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil. But this is not so much a sociological study of the South in the 90s as it is an autobiography
Lora Dudding
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
This author was neither a Deb nor a lady. But she did go to finishing and ivy league schools. (Money will cover a multitude of sins in this world.) She is pompous and full of herself and proud of her bad behavior. Bless her heart, she thinks her accent and cotillion classes endear her to us and convince us she is a Deb and a lady. She name drops and the writing is horrible. I was stunned when she bragged about getting a full ride scholarship with a play she threw together and did not edit. Her w ...more
Juanita Pryor
May 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir-biography
I read this entire book in one day and enjoyed it. It was lighthearted and fun reading, and with a couple of exceptions it was also tasteful. Fields has had quite the entertaining life! I did live in NC for seven years and found her portrayal to be fairly accurate in many respects. It most reflects the mentality of people born and raised in the South with little exposure to the rest of the country. It would be unfortunate for someone to solely base their knowledge of the South off of her limited ...more
Bridget
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Some girls aren't meant to be "proper". Anna could explain that better than anyone. Even though she was raised to act a certain way, she could not deny her free spirit. She was a "rebel" who didn't play by society's rules. Even though this made her an outcast, she was proud of who she was and stayed true to herself.

This is by far the best memoir I have ever read. Anna is my kind of chick! This hilariously true tale is better than any reality TV show. I think that this is the type of book that wo
Bree
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't normally read a lot of memoir type books especially when the person is a few years younger than me. You still gotta lot of life to live!!!! However I did like the Southern aspect of the book and do wonder how Fields managed to do all this in her life time while still feeling culture shocked everywhere she went. It kept me hooked though.
Heather Rose
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Vaguely entertaining in a pretentious sorta way. I'm so sorry you had to go to a private school, grew up with money, and had to travel coast to coast through all of the most wealthy cities working for whiny-ass, but extremely wealthy, clientele whilst doing so in order to find yourself... ::sobsobsob:: Please. That's not how "real" life works, honey, Rebel Deb or not.
Melissa
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
A funny, coming of age story about a how country girl from NC attempts to transform herself into a debutante. It takes place in Winston, Burlington and NY City. A bit redundant and juvenile but it is an easy read and fun to be able to identify with specific locations for those of us who grew up in Winston, i.e. Salem Academy, Morning Dew cafe, Krispy Kreme, etc.
Mamie
Oct 12, 2012 added it
It was entertaining! A girl from the south goes to Los Angeles and works with celebs, also ends up in New York City. Through her many unique experiences, she never forgets her roots and that she is a rebel debutante using it accordingly.
Allison
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Totally agree with the review that said the cover and jacket were the best part of the book. Horrible and rambly at best...couldn't finish it. Life's too short to waste on awful books....as my hubby said. :)
Wendy
Aug 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book has nothing to do with being a rebel debutante. It is mostly about running thing down that is not in or from the south. She also does a lot of famous name dropping, which to me make the book even worse.
Ellen
May 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I got half-way through this book and decided I don't really feel like reading the other half. At times, it gets a bit confusing and the language is pretty bad. There are too many better books to spend my time with this one.
Kw
Jun 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Clever, but she's just so impressed with herself! Seems everyone is pretty well pigeon-holed - rich, snooty deb, rebel deb, boring non-deb, etc.
I'm glad she's found her Rhett and her "calling" in New York.
Tracy
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Not very well written. No real point to the story.
Bought this at the dollar store as it looked interesting from the title and jacket description. After reading first 3 chapters I was bored and realized I spent 99 cents too much for this book.
Jillian
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Even a Yankee deb can enjoy this book. A fun, enjoyable and surprisingly enlightening read. Lesson learned, don't judge a book by its cover.
Meredith
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
What an interesting little memoir about growing up in the South and having life take you to different places. It probably wasn't worth my time and proves that just about anyone can write a book...
Anna
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Funny, very down-to-earth, and if you're from the south, probably very relatable. Not really what I was expecting as a whole, but a quick and entertaining read. :)
Leslie
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
I tried to read this book, I got to page 61 before I gave up. it's just all over the place and couldn't follow a straight line if it tried. is the author ADD?
Ruth
Jun 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chic-lit
I couldn't finish this book. The author is stuck on herself. Not sure why it was even published.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Celebrities & Hollyweird 1 1 Oct 04, 2013 10:26AM
  • The Debutante
  • Informally Educated: A True Tale of Child Abuse, Survival and Murder
  • The Art of the Cookie: Baking Up Inspiration by the Dozen
  • 31 Dates in 31 Days
  • What Do You Do All Day?
  • Sue Ellen's Girl Ain't Fat, She Just Weighs Heavy: The Belle of All Things Southern Dishes on Men, Money, and Not Losing Your Midlife Mind
  • Smart Vs. Pretty
  • Catching Alice
  • Spin Cycle
  • Nightingale (The Sensitives, #2)
  • Dani Noir
  • When Jeff Comes Home
  • Confessions of a Slacker Mom
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Revenge of the Crafty Corpse (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • Scratching the Horizon: A Surfing Life
  • The Flirt
  • Confessions of a Prep School Mommy Handler: A Memoir
Anna Fields is an established author, screenwriter, television writer, producer, and award-winning documentarian whose work has been published and produced by Penguin, the Daily Beast, Newsweek, Forbes, Marie Claire, CBS, ABC, Turner Network, Mandalay Entertainment, and the Austin, LA, and Toronto Film Festivals. She resides in New York City.
More about Anna Fields

$19.99 $2.99
  • The Success Principles: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Taste of Air
    $9.99 $3.49
  • The Lord God Made Them All (All Creatures Great and Small, #4)
    $17.99 $1.99