Start by marking “Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text” as Want to Read:
Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text

Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  185 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A bitter feud between the Montagues and the Capulets keeps the city of Verona, Italy, in a state of constant unrest. Despite the enmity, Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet fall passionately in love. Enlisting the help of Friar Laurence, the young lovers wed in secret, hoping that their marriage will finally unite the two families. But things go terribly, tragically wrong. O ...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Classical Comics (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel

Lillian Bittle
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story of two teenage lovers who's families are sworn enemies. Will they overcome all odds to find true love? Or will they fail? Will they be able to bring friendship to their families again?
Angela
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I DONT LIKE THIS. AT ALL. ROMEO YOU LOVE SICK FOOLISH FOOL. I am not looking forward to read the original Romeo and Juliet. *shiver*
amelia Davies
Apr 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this was a brilliant books I really like comics
John Matthew
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all know the story of Romeo and Juliet but I have never seen it as a graphic novel before.

This is a GORGEOUS book. All of Shakespeare is there plus great images.
Paul
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Grace Bittle
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
This is a sad tale of to lovers. The pictures made it much easer to understand. A very good read.
Ryan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly Illustrated with AMAZING Character Development

The book is a graphic novel on a play called Romeo and Juliet. The book is challenging to read because of all the Shakespeare words I can’t understand. The author is an expert in the field. The language is absolutely remarkable.The play was written in 1597.

This book is about two households that takes place in Verona, Capulets and Montagues who goes against each other for a while now. Our main characters Romeo and Juliet will be there to sa
Elle Kay
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
A good way to read Shakespeare if you don’t have the patience for the original text. This version does simplify the story yet again and highlights the insane parameters for love and the short courtship rituals but I guess we have to remember that the author was trying to portray an entire doomed love affair in the length of one play. Perfect for those new to the story.
Clara
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
i did not like this at all! it wasn't the graphic novel i didn't like (I LOVE graphic novels). It was the story. I liked A Midsummer Night's Dream so i thought i might like this. i was wrong. I'm surprised this is such a popular/loved story.
juveria
May 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
read for school.
Shelby Friday
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One hundred stars, always to my favorite story.
Tai
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing personal I just don't like Shakespeare that much.
Diana Gonzalez
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
2. BRIEF REVIEW
Young adult graphic novel, it is the first graphic novel I read and I enjoyed it. I really liked the fact that the first two pages of the book include pictures of the characters, with their name and a short description of who they are. The glossary, author's biography and history of the Romeo and Juliet found in the back of the graphic novel are interesting and helpful to the reader. I disliked that the character referred to as the Chorus, basically gives the whole story away when
Stephanie Banks
Oh, graphic novel. Graphic novel! Wherefore art thou graphic novel?

If you know anything about William Shakespeare, then you must have heard of Romeo and Juliet by now. You know… Start crossed lovers. Feuding families. The story of two young people who fall so deeply in love they’re willing to drink poison and take a dagger to the chest to be with each other forever. Yeah, for the few of you who have never heard of the story, I’m not making this stuff up.

I’ve never had any desire to read Shakespe
Rebecca
This is the only unabridged graphic novel of the play I've found, so I think it really fills a gap. I didn't really like the drawings, though. They're full-color, which is good, and I think the action is shown well and there's some variation in the page layout (but mostly just square or rectangular frames separated from each other by white space). Students reading it will have no trouble telling what's going on. The settings are fine and just what you'd expect; period, mostly simple but with som ...more
Katy
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Two houses both alike in dignity, In fair Verona where we lay our scene..."

Those famous words in one of the most famous plays of love and romance open the graphic novel of a an ill-fated romance. Yet all of us have read the story at some point---as a freshman in high school literature, as an English major in a collegiate literature class.

Why would I reread this story? (And I'm wondering why I would read a graphic novel since I normally do not like them.) First, I was looking for a Shakespeare t
Danijela
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
My second graphic novel that I read this semester. I liked it much better than American Born Chinese. I also really enjoy it but I can't say that I liked it more than the original text of Romeo and Juliet because lets be honest, there will never be a better version of Romeo and Juliet. I loved, loved, loved the art in this book. It kept me interested because it combined the words with the visuals and having already read the story of Romeo and Juliet, it didn't ruin anything for me. I think this ...more
Tracey
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gale Cengage publishes some excellent texts to enhance a young reader's experience with classical literature. This graphic novel of Romeo and Juliet is well done. There are places where I would have liked to see different paraphrasing of the original lines, but overall it makes pieces of the play accessible that often are difficult for them to understand (Mercutio's Queen Mab speech or Juliet's soliloqy about being afraid to be in the tomb).

Plenty of good resources included as well - a family tr
Natasha
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
I would say Romeo and Juliet is my least favorite work by Shakespeare. That being said, I quite enjoyed this graphic novel! I think it is a great way to help get teens and young adults more interested in Shakespeare's important literary works. The publisher actually publishes three different versions of the same graphic novel. The first being old English (original text), the next with some original text and also plain text (this is the version I read), and the last being all in modern language. ...more
Angel Parrish
Saved $15 because I Snagged @ The Library

I really have trouble getting into Shakespeare unless I can see it. This helped immensely. Also, it turns out, my cat really liked it. (Not making this up.) Though she is NOT a fan of Mercutio. Oh, and the whole ending in tragedy thing. I forgot to warn her. My bad.

Anyway, this was a GREAT way to enjoy the original text of Shakespeare and be able to figure out what was going on.
Mike Jensen
Nov 30, 2010 rated it liked it
A 5 star script, since it is unabridged Shakespeare, but the lack of glosses means that many pages of jokes make no sense. The art is not thought out, fumbling the storytelling a half-dozen times. There are also redundancies between the art and the dialogue that the artist fails to resolve. The art is attractive, though derivative, but the tale is not well told.
Janie
Once again the art astounds. Very good visualization of the famous play, though I did have different pictures of how the main lovers themselves, Romeo and Juliet, looked. I would have preferred the Original Text version, but this was the only one available in my library system, and it despite my dislike for translations and abridged adaptations, it held up very well.
Dayna Cunningham
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was reading this as a refresher for when I have to teach this play to my grade nines in a few weeks. Amazingly done! I wish we could study this graphic novel as opposed to the actual play! It makes Shakespeare so accessible and fun to read. I couldn't put it down .
Ken
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hisham Slamet
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Romeo and Juliet are amazing dramatic and romantic story.
sara frances
This was really cool. It seems that graphic novels are a fitting format for plays because plays weren't really meant to be read without visual aid. However, the artwork wasn't anything amazing.
Dani
Feb 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
I hate this story but the graphics were good.
Lilyan (Little Yams)
Adding this only because it counts for my 2014 reading challenge ;_; I'm behind
Jessica
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ah, the first graphic novel I've read and I really liked it!
Tamar
May 08, 2014 added it
sad, but very good
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Graphic Classics: Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • Beowulf
  • Loveless, Vol. 2: Thicker Than Blackwater
  • Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen
  • The Case of Madeleine Smith (A Treasury Of Victorian Murder)
  • The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Marathon
  • Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know
  • Doctor Who and the Cybermen
  • Kaylen's Rising (Tomes of Taria, Book #1)
  • The Legend of Ellie Quin (Ellie Quin, #1)
  • Do Not Pass Go
  • Manga Shakespeare: Twelfth Night
  • Romeo and Juliet (No Fear Shakespeare Graphic Novels)
  • Disney's Alice in Wonderland Graphic Novel
  • The Rabbits
  • Romeo and Juliet for Kids
I'm a professional writer. I've had 3 novels published, with another due out in September 2009 and two more being written. I've written 2 screenplays - one of which won the IndieProducer Screenwriter Award in Los Angeles in 2009. I've also 'ghosted' books for media celebs, politicians and business-people. I've scripted award-winning TV drama and graphic novels and I've written stage plays which ha ...more
More about John F. McDonald