Start by marking “Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text” as Want to Read:
Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text

Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel: Original Text

A bitter feud between the Montagues and the Capulets keeps the city of Verona, Italy, in a state of constant unrest. Despite the enmity, Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet fall passionately in love. Enlisting the help of Friar Laurence, the young lovers wed in secret, hoping that their marriage will finally unite the two families. But things go terribly, tragically wrong. O ...more
Published November 24th 2009 by Classical Comics (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Romeo and Juliet The Graphic Novel

Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
Even though I have such a marmite relationship for Shakespeare's works, this graphic novel edition of the classic play Romeo and Juliet I actually enjoyed. The illustrations were colourful, visual and with the original text, it was an easy read that displayed well. Although the storyline at times wasn't an enjoyable experience for me, it was the quality that cemented a strong 4 stars!
Lillian Bittle
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The story of two teenage lovers who's families are sworn enemies. Will they overcome all odds to find true love? Or will they fail? Will they be able to bring friendship to their families again?
amelia Davies
Apr 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this was a brilliant books I really like comics
Angela
Feb 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I DONT LIKE THIS. AT ALL. ROMEO YOU LOVE SICK FOOLISH FOOL. I am not looking forward to read the original Romeo and Juliet. *shiver*
Nicole
Jan 17, 2019 marked it as abandoned
...I like the idea and the execution isn’t bad, but you can tell that maybe this was illustrated during a time when graphic novels were not seen as they are now. The thing is that I abandoned it more because I just couldn’t connect or get into the story the way I once had. I use to love Romeo and Juliet, and while my perspective of them has changed I still relate to the idea of it in my youth. The thing though is that whenever I was beginning to get into the narrative,all I wanted to do was watc ...more
Jenny
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adapting Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet into a graphic novel format was an excellent idea. I absolutely loved reading this version!
John Matthew
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all know the story of Romeo and Juliet but I have never seen it as a graphic novel before.

This is a GORGEOUS book. All of Shakespeare is there plus great images.
Paul
Mar 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Grace Bittle
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, romance
This is a sad tale of to lovers. The pictures made it much easer to understand. A very good read.
Ryan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly Illustrated with AMAZING Character Development

The book is a graphic novel on a play called Romeo and Juliet. The book is challenging to read because of all the Shakespeare words I can’t understand. The author is an expert in the field. The language is absolutely remarkable.The play was written in 1597.

This book is about two households that takes place in Verona, Capulets and Montagues who goes against each other for a while now. Our main characters Romeo and Juliet will be there to sa
Ciro
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I only made it 30 pages in before abandoning this graphic novel. There were so many obstacles that made it difficult to enjoy the story of Romeo and Juliet in a graphic novel format. Most significantly, the panels and the artwork often neither contributed or complimented to the storyline. Often, it felt like I was reading portions of the original play with disconnected illustrations floating in the background.
I understand there are two different versions of this graphic novel adaptation. This o
Elle Kay
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
A good way to read Shakespeare if you don’t have the patience for the original text. This version does simplify the story yet again and highlights the insane parameters for love and the short courtship rituals but I guess we have to remember that the author was trying to portray an entire doomed love affair in the length of one play. Perfect for those new to the story.
Clara
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
i did not like this at all! it wasn't the graphic novel i didn't like (I LOVE graphic novels). It was the story. I liked A Midsummer Night's Dream so i thought i might like this. i was wrong. I'm surprised this is such a popular/loved story.
Tai
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing personal I just don't like Shakespeare that much.
juveria
May 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
read for school.
Shelby Friday
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One hundred stars, always to my favorite story.
Diana Gonzalez
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
2. BRIEF REVIEW
Young adult graphic novel, it is the first graphic novel I read and I enjoyed it. I really liked the fact that the first two pages of the book include pictures of the characters, with their name and a short description of who they are. The glossary, author's biography and history of the Romeo and Juliet found in the back of the graphic novel are interesting and helpful to the reader. I disliked that the character referred to as the Chorus, basically gives the whole story away when
Stephanie Banks
Oh, graphic novel. Graphic novel! Wherefore art thou graphic novel?

If you know anything about William Shakespeare, then you must have heard of Romeo and Juliet by now. You know… Start crossed lovers. Feuding families. The story of two young people who fall so deeply in love they’re willing to drink poison and take a dagger to the chest to be with each other forever. Yeah, for the few of you who have never heard of the story, I’m not making this stuff up.

I’ve never had any desire to read Shakespe
Rebecca
This is the only unabridged graphic novel of the play I've found, so I think it really fills a gap. I didn't really like the drawings, though. They're full-color, which is good, and I think the action is shown well and there's some variation in the page layout (but mostly just square or rectangular frames separated from each other by white space). Students reading it will have no trouble telling what's going on. The settings are fine and just what you'd expect; period, mostly simple but with som ...more
Katy
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
"Two houses both alike in dignity, In fair Verona where we lay our scene..."

Those famous words in one of the most famous plays of love and romance open the graphic novel of a an ill-fated romance. Yet all of us have read the story at some point---as a freshman in high school literature, as an English major in a collegiate literature class.

Why would I reread this story? (And I'm wondering why I would read a graphic novel since I normally do not like them.) First, I was looking for a Shakespeare t
Danijela
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
My second graphic novel that I read this semester. I liked it much better than American Born Chinese. I also really enjoy it but I can't say that I liked it more than the original text of Romeo and Juliet because lets be honest, there will never be a better version of Romeo and Juliet. I loved, loved, loved the art in this book. It kept me interested because it combined the words with the visuals and having already read the story of Romeo and Juliet, it didn't ruin anything for me. I think this ...more
Tracey
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gale Cengage publishes some excellent texts to enhance a young reader's experience with classical literature. This graphic novel of Romeo and Juliet is well done. There are places where I would have liked to see different paraphrasing of the original lines, but overall it makes pieces of the play accessible that often are difficult for them to understand (Mercutio's Queen Mab speech or Juliet's soliloqy about being afraid to be in the tomb).

Plenty of good resources included as well - a family tr
Natasha
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
I would say Romeo and Juliet is my least favorite work by Shakespeare. That being said, I quite enjoyed this graphic novel! I think it is a great way to help get teens and young adults more interested in Shakespeare's important literary works. The publisher actually publishes three different versions of the same graphic novel. The first being old English (original text), the next with some original text and also plain text (this is the version I read), and the last being all in modern language. ...more
Angel Parrish
Saved $15 because I Snagged @ The Library

I really have trouble getting into Shakespeare unless I can see it. This helped immensely. Also, it turns out, my cat really liked it. (Not making this up.) Though she is NOT a fan of Mercutio. Oh, and the whole ending in tragedy thing. I forgot to warn her. My bad.

Anyway, this was a GREAT way to enjoy the original text of Shakespeare and be able to figure out what was going on.
Janie
Once again the art astounds. Very good visualization of the famous play, though I did have different pictures of how the main lovers themselves, Romeo and Juliet, looked. I would have preferred the Original Text version, but this was the only one available in my library system, and it despite my dislike for translations and abridged adaptations, it held up very well.
Michael P.
Nov 30, 2010 rated it liked it
A 5 star script, since it is unabridged Shakespeare, but the lack of glosses means that many pages of jokes make no sense. The art is not thought out, fumbling the storytelling a half-dozen times. There are also redundancies between the art and the dialogue that the artist fails to resolve. The art is attractive, though derivative, but the tale is not well told.
Dayna Cunningham
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was reading this as a refresher for when I have to teach this play to my grade nines in a few weeks. Amazingly done! I wish we could study this graphic novel as opposed to the actual play! It makes Shakespeare so accessible and fun to read. I couldn't put it down .
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved this, review coming soon..
Jessica
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ah, the first graphic novel I've read and I really liked it!
Michael P.
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am commenting on this in my contribution to a book to be published in Scotland next year. It would not be fair to the editors or publisher to give away too much here.

• Graphic Classics: Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • The Case of Madeleine Smith (A Treasury Of Victorian Murder)
  • Loveless, Vol. 2: Thicker Than Blackwater
  • Marathon
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • Beowulf
  • Doctor Who: A History of the Universe in 100 Objects
  • Kaylen's Rising (Tomes of Taria, Book #1)
  • Boy Underwater
  • This is Van Gogh
  • Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know
  • Doctor Who and the Cybermen
  • The Legend of Ellie Quin (Ellie Quin, #1)
  • The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Adaptation
  • Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen
  • Eighth Grade Is Making Me Sick: Ginny Davis's Year In Stuff
  • Avengers vs. X-Men
  • Do Not Pass Go
I'm a professional writer. I've had 3 novels published, with another due out in September 2009 and two more being written. I've written 2 screenplays - one of which won the IndieProducer Screenwriter Award in Los Angeles in 2009. I've also 'ghosted' books for media celebs, politicians and business-people. I've scripted award-winning TV drama and graphic novels and I've written stage plays which ha ...more