Start by marking “Peter” as Want to Read:
Peter

Peter

“I had a dream about him,” I said.
“The camp bloke?”
“Yeah, last night. I dreamed he came into my room and sat on my bed.”
“And!” Tony’s eyes got wider. Wider than usual.
“He talked about lawnmowers.”
“And!”
“That’s it, he just talked.”
Actually, it hadn’t been a dream, not totally. It was one of those half-awake ones where I knew what was going on so I let it run just to see wh
Published April 28th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Peter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter

Start your review of Peter
Rosa
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-teen
Crying. Sadness. Conflict. Love. Pain. Anger. Loss. Happiness. Understanding.
I can’t rate this book right now; I have a lot of different feelings. But I can say that David is a kinder, gentler version of Kit from Eight Seconds. Other than that, it’s very similar. I liked this one better, I think. It is also surprisingly close to It’s Like This, Cat, with the sad (to me) loss of a friend whom the narrator has known forever, but from whom he has grown too far apart for the friendship to continue
LARRY
Apr 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

*Peter* is a simple read about a typical Australian teenager. Peter Dawson is like any other normal teenager. His divorced mother is working full-time as some health care specialist. His father comes and goes from time to time. He has a love/hate relationship with his older brother.

Peter enjoys his roaring bike. He has a group of peers that also enjoy bikes and motorcycles. These guys tease each other incessantly. Often, they'll be put on the spot to prove t
Amanda
After reading it a second time

Fuck it, I love this book. Love Peter. Love Vince. Adore David. Wondering why I ever rated this less than five stars.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

What a wonderful little piece!

Peter was a delight to read. Full of compassion, love, curiosity, and tension. It's just a piece from Peter's, the protagonist, life. At fifteen, Peter is rather content, or at least somewhat. His parents, despite divorced, are all right. His older brother can be an ass at times, but he's not that bad. Sur
Nick Bicknell
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Amber
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amber by: Book List
Here is a daring, exceptionally honest novel about sexuality and the need to be true to oneself.

Peter, a dirt bike loving boy, meets his brother’s friend (who just happens to be gay), his life gets turned upside down. Despite the other bikers who claim he's a poof and don't care about anyone but themselves, his arse-hole brother, his over-sensitive mother and his never-around father, Peter's life hasn't been ideal. But now on top of that he has the pressure of his 'best-friend' pushing him towar
Bill
Nov 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pubescent boys, adolescents and their parents
Shelves: gay-fiction
This was a fun, one-nighter read about Peter, a 15 y/o Australian boy, trying to come to terms with his sexuality in the face of societal and peer pressures. It is more about Peter's internal struggles and muddles than external events, though the plot is driven by events.

It was written for Australian kids and the Aussie slang, culturisms and turns of phrase where a lot of fun. You will like Peter.
Tara Spears
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really can't figure out what to say about why I liked this book as much as I did, because nothing was super spectacular, and the ending kinda left me hanging a bit. I didn't love it, but I did really like it, and read the darn thing in less than a day.

It's a pretty simple story, and not a heck of a lot happens, however the writing is quite pleasant, and I liked the characters. I guess that's what it boils down to. Likable characters...
Sivan N.
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great, great read.

I loved the Australian vernacular, though I wasn't sure if it was Scottish or Australian. I've never heard "poof" as a gay derogatory term outside of Australia but something else made me think it might be Scottish, I forget what. I really enjoyed reading the book just because of the fun tone and writing style. The plot was great, and the writing made it come to life and feel real.

Hard to review the rest of the book without spoilers so... don't read anymore if you don't want sp
Photon
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Growing up is painful, that is obvious enough. The teenage years is the point in our lives where we are looking for answers and there seemingly isn't one that is profound enough to give meaning to our existence. (At least for those special introspective people.) This book, I think, provides a lot of insight that is grounded in reality.

It shows how boys relate to each other by one-upping, eager to be part of the group. How important approval is, even when you know what you're about to do is stupi
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Growing up is never easy, even at the best of times, growing up different is even harder. Peter lives in a world where men are men and women are there for their use. Peter though is different, he knows what the culture wants of him, what his father wants of him. He knows that the last thing the culture wants, his father wants, is a poofter. At 15 Peter is figuring out some things about himself, things even he has trouble figuring out. Sure the girls are nice to look at, some are even willing to ...more
Annika
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
I've been searching for this book for over a year and was overjoyed when Amazon finally had a few items in stock again! I devoured it within a day, because it was easy to breeze through but yet dealt with issues well and provided a nice stock of likable and non-likable characters.

I definitely had my issues with Peter sometimes but in the end I came to really like him, when he dealt with his situation head on and stopped his denial of things.

Sometimes the book felt a bit dated but since it didn'
Becky
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The YA collection at my library has quite a bit of older Australian YA titles; I'm not sure why. I checked this one out instead of weeding it several weeks back, and then was surprised I couldn't renew it a second time because it had a hold. : D "Peter" is very of-its-time, but in a way that felt more historical than dated, so it still works. Plus, it's really good.

There's something about relationships in Australian novels that seems more practical than we do them here and that I really like eve
Madeeha (D-ha)
Feb 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought this book was good overall. I thought the ending of this book wasn't that great. My reasons for thinking this way is because in the end peter and david never really got together and peter was still confused in the end of the book. I think that there could have been more things done with this book. Maybe the author wanted to end the book that way to leave us thinking and wondering what will happen to peter? Maybe the author wanted to convey a message to the reader? or maybe just wrote t ...more
Penny
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
I never would have guessed I could get so engrossed in the story of an Australian teenage boy trying to figure out whether he's gay. But of course, the adolescent struggle for identity is universal, even if the circumstances are different for each of us.

Is Peter really gay? Does he really have a crush on David, or is it just that David is the only person in the WHOLE WORLD who is actually nice to him?

That question remains unanswered at the end, but this novel is still a very satisfying read.
Anuradha
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4 stars for a beautifully written story. 1 extra star for the author's ability to get into the character and life of Peter, so completely and passionately.

Writing a coming of age novel about a 14 year old boy, struggling to come to terms with his sexuality ! Now that's something as out of my league as authoring Harry Potter !!

But I loved the book. It's got almost no frills, no poetic language, no overt melodrama. Just the everyday life and happenings of this lovable boy Peter.

And it's almost e
Haldoor42
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A perfect little slice of life in a young Australian teen's life. Peter discovers that perhaps he is exactly what his so-called group of friends least want to have in their group. With the help of a sympathetic friend of his older brother's, he learns there is time for love to develop, even if that is not quite now.
Olaf
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgtbq
A coming out classic. I first read this some 25 years ago, but this still reads as fresh and relevant as back in the day. I always wished that Kate Walker had written a sequel to this, and I still do, I still want to know what life brings for Peter and David :-)
Samantha Marquis
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful coming of age novel about a young man struggling to claim an identity of his own.
Zander
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was gud
Robbie
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Look at the cover. Betcha cannot guess what Peter by Kate Walker is about. What’s that? You think it’s about a teen named Peter who rides a motorbike? Oh, O.K., maybe you can guess. :) However, it’s not that simple.

Fifteen-year-old Peter lives with his Mom and his older brother Vince. His Dad, who lives on the other side of town, visits sometimes, but it always seems to devolve into fighting with Peter’s Mom. Peter likes to escape by riding his motorbike out on the paddock near his house, even t
Victar
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very easy to read with likeable characters and plenty of funny quirks. I especially loved the use of Aussie slangs and it's culture that is ingrained in the story. The ending however felt quite abrupt but nevertheless, I still very much enjoyed this book.
Jim
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Peter by Kate Walker is a very easy read indeed. The style of writing is very much aimed at the Young Adult market and may lack complexity for more mature readers. The story takes place over a week in the life of Peter Dawson during school vacation. He has few friends except for Tony, a sex obsessed Italian 15 year old, however he does seek something more and rides around with a group of trail bike riders. During this week, certain events take place where the group turn on him becuase he is seen ...more
Kevin
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it
The writer did a good job with the main characters- I adored the protagonist Peter, his crush, David and his older brother Vince. Vince is too cool in all the right ways, but as the older brother of Peter, he is also a jerk, that just makes him real. Mom and Dad were two dimensional as were Peter’s frenemies. The muddles and events that drove Peter in the book were well described, along with his angst – he has lots of angst and internal dialogs.

The book is extremely well written. There is not a
Rachel
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Poignant and well written, Peter introduces us to a fifteen year old who is just coming into himself. He loves to ride dirt bikes and get dirty, but he's slowly realizing that maybe he's just a bit different than the other guys who ride, who always call him a poof and make fun of him. His mother babies him, not wanting him to be involved in such a dangerous sport, and he watches as his older brother becomes weirder and weirder: adopting new hairstyles and hanging out with new friends. It's the b ...more
David Edmonds
May 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2008, ya
Kate Walker's Peter is a coming-of-age story told from the first person perspective of 15 year old Peter Dawson, who starts to question his sexuality after meeting his older brother's gay friend, David. David is tall, good-looking, perfectly dressed; everything that Peter is not. Peter hides his sensitive side and his love of photography from the local boys by joining them in their dirt bike races, and is increasingly concerned by his disinterest in girls; something the other boys only ever talk ...more
Tyler
Dec 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Peter's identity alludes me. Even at the end, I'm not sure if he really was gay, he seemed interested enough in Sophia, just not in a rush for sex. Personally, I think he might be heteroflexible or bi. The confusion in his character is strong and evident throughout the book and makes him very real, the only real issue I had with it was the abrupt concern that he was gay, I didn't really see where it came from.

The characters in the book seemed realistic if scary but the time period for homosexual
Angeluismanzueta
this book is about a teenager named, peter. the main part of this book is that simply peter might like his brother's best friend called david. he might believe that he is gay since lately he has been looking at men magazines, and beinning to like david alot. but he also has a dangerous side, he rides his dirtbike, and shows that he is very willing.
i could connect this book to the world b/c he shows that he is gay and you shouldn't be afraid to say so. and being something that you want is ok.
i wo
Jeremy
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-reads
With Peter by Kate Walker I found that my second foray into Australian YA lit was another smashing success. Though written a couple years , this short novel still felt current.The anxiety and confusion and fear surrounding coming to terms with one's sexuality were still very real and relatable. Through Peter's characterization, Walker portrays a fully realized protagonist who is observant but still questioning. I liked him and understood him and rooted for him, even when at his worse.I though Wa ...more
Josephine
Peter, I hope you figure out what you want.

this book is about an Australian boy named Peter, he is trying to figure out his sexuality. He rides his dirt bike. and gets accused of being a poof (gay.) He is into photography. girls want to do stuff with him.
He accidentally pushes Gloria away while in his darkroom. His brother Vince is there for him in a different way then advising him with his problems.
Vince's friend, David, is out of the closet and hires Peter to photography his car. David is the
Jennifer Lavoie
I would give this book between a three and a four, because the ending was very good. The last few pages literally made me tear up, and I enjoyed that. The rest of the book was okay. I liked Peter and David, and I thought they were great characters. The language and some of the content was a bit harsh for some students, so I would recommend it for older teens. Some of the terms used I had to get used to as well, since the book is set in Australia. It was a quick read and one that I had been wanti ...more

• The Vast Fields of Ordinary
  • Hot Mess
  • I'll Get There. It Better Be Worth the Trip.
  • Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
  • Haru x Kiyo 1 (Haru x Kiyo, #1)
  • Him (Him & Her, #1)
  • Her (Him & Her, #2)
  • En som Nora
  • School Spirits
  • Og så drukner jeg ...
  • Der Erlöser: Black Dagger 33 - Roman
  • The Blinding Light (The Tav #1)
  • Die Prinzen (The Captive Prince, #1-3)
  • positiv verliebt