Start by marking “The Seduction of Moxie” as Want to Read:
The Seduction of Moxie

The Seduction of Moxie

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  245 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
When Hollywood-bound actress Violet London meets speakeasy singer Moxie Valette, her trip takes an unexpected turn toward love. New York City, 1931: When wry Broadway actress Violet London and her hard-drinking cohorts venture into a speakeasy the night before she is to board a train for Hollywood, she is floored by sassy blond singer Moxie Valette. As Violet introduces Mo ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by Bold Strokes Books (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Seduction of Moxie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seduction of Moxie

Sprinkles
Post-reading blues, fiction hangover, saudade...any and all of these describe how I feel now that 'The Seduction of Moxie' is finished. I didn't want it to end. I even stalled for hours before reading the epilogue.

I absolutely loved this. IN LOVE with this book and Colette Moody, I bow to your writing prowess.

I miss the characters, the hustle of their careers, the side-splitting humor, the never-ending raunchy dialogue, MOXIE AND VIOLET'S LIFE-ALTERING CHEMISTRY, the romantic-as-hell letters, Wi
Holly
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was such a fun read. It had me laughing all the way through. There were several laugh out loud moments. I really like historical fiction, but get irritated reading a lot of it because of how society treated women and the norms. This was a refreshing change.
Marilyn
Wish I could give this six, seven or even ten stars. This book is totally original, brilliantly written and side-splittingly funny. I laughed so hard I cried. It took me a little while to get into the spirit of the writing. Do not miss Moxie's train ride to California, and do not try to read this in a quiet public environment like a library or a quiet cafe. Unforgettable.
M
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-books, romance, 5-books
Excellent, funny, sweet and did I mention funny.

The scenes on the train are just laugh out loud some of the funniest writing I've read in a long time.

This is the second of Colette Moody's books I've read and I cannot wait to read her third book. I don't know if she is still writing, but I know that if she is, I'm buying.
Hue
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I actually broke my phone where my eBook reader was installed. I rely on that app for record keeping purposes, especially of dates, finished and unfinished books. Honestly, I have a lot of books yet to be rated but I keep on dilly-dallying, coupled with my habit of browsing my shelf then think of, "Hey, this happened here, that character was awesome, the plot was meh, etc." So, there, I'm trying to catch up with my backlog.

This one I've read twice, and the same feeling of wanting to be part of V
McKenna
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I kept this book on the back-burner for awhile. I wasn't sure I could get around the 1930's juke-joint, speakeasy lingo, but once I dove in, the humor alone was enough to overpower any angst I had about women being called, "doll face".

The dialogue and continual crass banter between the main group of friends is a laugh-riot. But the actual 'seduction of Moxie' is filled with sweet sentimentality, long distance letter writing and true romance. Oh, the good old days, before email, when a letter cam
T
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this book. in the back of my mind was one negative review i saw that pointed out how the openness and liberal way of speaking was surely not realistic for that time. I thought that it was so entertaining, that i didn't care if it was hard to believe or not. maybe the shock of someone from the 30's speaking and acting in such a manner, is exactly what made it so entertaining.

it also makes me curious about what did go on in that time. There are several articles and stories about w
Bree Paige
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible and hillarious!!!
If you love Green Jokes this is the best book for you!
And Green jokes is my favorite jokes of all time it never get old to me.
The Main and Minor characters are both amazing!
The love scene are hot and steamy!
The book is on 1930's era but I didn't feel it maybe bcoz I dont have any idea about that era.
lov2laf
This story, realistic or not, was told in a delightful, fantastic way that did transport you to that period of time. I thought it was a fun story. Many times I had to put the book down just to laugh my ass off. It had some of the funniest dialogue I've ever read. Worth the read.
Alexis
Why why why did I not read this sooner?! Over the past few years I've read some very funny and downright hilarious (lesbian) fiction but this book is just on a completely different level.
I was initially reluctant to start reading it since I prefer contemporary novels but after reading a few reviews decided to just go for it. Thank goodness I did because the characters are simply delicious to read about. From excessive drinking and partying to flying hot dogs and a dog named Clitty (yes he was n
Nikki
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Seeing as I finished this book in one sitting with playoff football blaring in the background, and I barely noticed, it is safe to say that this book is nothing short of magically splendid. Fantastic wit and dialogue I could not get enough of. I spent the entire time smiling or laughing my ass off. Kudos, Ms. Moody. You are well on your way to being my favorite.
Kent
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, kindle-books
This was a great, fun story. A little over the top at times, but well worth reading. At one point I was laughing so hard that my wife had to pause the TV so I could explain to her what was so funny.
Tara
This might be the most fun I've had reading a book all year. I laughed out loud several times. I'm not sure if I can describe this correctly, but it's almost like reading a movie from the 1930s if that movie had a lot of dirty talking in it.
Corrie
It was high time to dive back into 1931 with Moxie Valette, Violet London, her little dog Clitty and her hilarious friends Wilhelmina (Wil) Skoog and Julian French. This time I had Book Club Buddie D. along for the trip.

The Seduction of Moxie stays firmly in top of my absolute favorites list as one of the funniest stories I’ve ever read. From the moment Violet lays eyes on Moxie and the gang invites her along to show her the real New York night life, we are in for one hell of a wild ride. A visi
Meghann
I bought this book after reading the sample on my Kindle. It seemed fun and a little naughty (the love interest's dog is named Clitty ::wink, wink, nudge, nudge::) so I decided it was worth a buy.

I enjoyed it initially, however, after a couple of incidents of the characters interacting with famous people, I feared this was going to be a Forrest Gump type story with constant name-drops and the characters influencing real life people from the era. It did indeed turn into this a few more times.

I li
Dani
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
great book very funny!
Balthazaar
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than 4 stars but not quite 5 (I'd give that to Colette Moody's Parties In Congress) this is really original, lewd, louche and laugh out loud in parts. Set in a rose-tinted 1930s of debauchery, endless potential and free flowing champagne, it's unforgettable, feel-good fun.
Megzz
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5

This is nothing more than an almost cringeworthy erotic novel. The sex talk is so crude that it is not only really unrealistic for that time, but also incredibly unattractive. Vulgar dialogues about genitalia and anuses are neither romantic nor amusing. I'm no prude. But "seduction" doesn't necessarily mean "obscenity".

I got a glimpse of Moody's famous wit and I admit that I got a little bit aroused at times, but the whole thing lacked such subtlety that I finished this book with a very disa
Isobel
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I normally avoid covers like this but a few people had said the sameand liked this, so I gave it a go. The set up is fun, and I didn't hate the characters. The dialogue annoyed me. And then I got this:

Moxie winced. Irene had a point. “It would be nice to be treated like an adult able to make her own decisions and not like some fat girl who can’t be left alone in a sweet shop because she might fondle all the fondant.”

I'm done.
Rahnuma Khan
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 star.

This book really different from any book I have ever read... I like the story development I like all character the two main characters are the gold stars gold stars s ... I love them both.The book has many sarcastic phrase some of them I never heard of them before in my life if I ever gonna read any book reread this one is one of them recommended this book to everyone...
Kate
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I wanted a funny lesbian romance in Old Hollywood and that's exactly what I got! "Moxie" is frothy and fun and more than a little raunchy. I appreciate that Violet and Moxie didn't fall in love immediately or spent the book denying their feelings for one ridiculous reason or another, there was friendship and seduction and it was refreshing. I plan on reading Moody's lesbian pirates romance soon!
Laz the Sailor
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-bw, smut
This was a fun romp through 1920s New York and Hollywood. The fact that the MCs are both female is independent of the fact that all the characters are quirky and amusing, including the foul-mouthed wing-woman and the chauffeur.

Not as much sex as I expected, but lots of flirting, teasing, and ridiculous innuendo.
Megan
Definitely a fast-paced and laugh-out-loud read. Moody nails the 30's style screwball comedies (which I love) in both dialogue as well as farcical situations - adding a fair bit of debauchery and crudity for good measure. If you are looking for a break from the standard lesfic angst-ridden romances, I would recommend this one.
Sandy
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the third one of Colette Moody's lesbian romance novels that I've read. I really enjoy the way her characters banter. There's always lot of witty dialogue and humor that makes me laugh. "Moxie" seemed a little over the top crude, though. It was a good beach read but I wouldn't put it at the top of the lesbian romance pile.
Blair
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is one of the funniest books that I have ever read. I loved everything about it and the romance was perfect. I wish that I had friends like Wil, Vi, and Moxie. Oh, and I give it a 6th star for the cocktails at the end!
Peyton Andrews
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hilariously entertaining!
Odd Bin
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn, I love this book! I finished it yesterday and am going to read it again today. Because damn, I loved this book!
Julie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book, it was hilarious! I'm definitely going to miss Clitty and all the jokes about him.. :)
Jill Sorenson
Nov 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I guess I would describe this book as a crass, over the top farce. Unfortunately, I think farce is a lost art. Or a never-was art. I'm familiar with satire and spoof. Farce...I got nothing. I can't even think of an example. How do I even know this is a farce? I might have learned about it in college, but damned if I can explain.

Maybe "stylized" is a more helpful description. All of the characters speak in droll observations and rapid-fire quips. Mix in a bunch of cameos by old-Hollywood historic
Pia Veleno
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't read F/F often, so I'm thrilled to find a gem like this when I get around to the genre.

While I did struggle with the period slang, it wasn't used much. This was both good and bad, as in good that I didn't have to deal with it often and bad that when it did pop up it felt thrown in and was distracting more than period setting.

Other than that though, I enjoyed the story. I loved the slow seduction -- the flirting, the letters back and forth, and the frustration felt by both women as Cotto
  • Backwards to Oregon (The Oregon Series, #1)
  • Mending Defects
  • Finders Keepers
  • Midnight In Orlando
  • Long Shot
  • Infinite Loop
  • Poppy Jenkins
  • Indigo Moon (Garoul, #3)
  • Conquest
  • A Pirate's Heart
  • Just Three Words (Soho Loft, #2)
  • Worth Every Step
  • Fated Love
  • It Should Be a Crime
Colette Moody has long been an avid bibliophile and fan of history (and swashbuckling). When she isn’t doing research or crafting scenes for her next romp of a novel, she can be found doing one or more of the following: trying to best her high score on Wii Tennis; sequestered in the kitchen eagerly trying to prove that everything DOES taste better with bacon; meticulously recreating classic cockta ...more
More about Colette Moody