Start by marking “Wachale!: Poetry and Prose about Growing Up Latino in America” as Want to Read:
Wachale!: Poetry and Prose about Growing Up Latino in America

Wachale!: Poetry and Prose about Growing Up Latino in America

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  28 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This groundbreaking bilingual anthology, carefully designed for middle readers, is a mosaic of voices demonstrating the energy, creativity, and diversity of the fastest-growing minority group in America. Wachale! (Spanglish for “watch out!”) includes folk tales, stories, and poems in both English and Spanish, and brief autobiographical essays by both well-established and e ...more
Published November 14th 2001 by Cricket Books/Marcato

To ask other readers questions about Wachale!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wachale!

Fisal Ansari
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Age:
Grades YA

Genre:
Alternative novel in poetry.

Diversity:
Growing up Latino in America, poems about.

Illustrations:
Front cover has great drawings and colors of Latinos.

Personal response:
I learned a great deal about Latino cultures including Puerto Ricans and Cubans and so forth. Every poem is also written in Spanish.

Curricular or programming connections:
I think that this book can give students in a classroom and library patrons a good idea of a Latino perspective.
Brandon
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
This book did not keep my attention. I only read a select few poems, but what I read was rather dull. A lot of the poems were very long and sometimes hard to follow.

What I learned from this book was that different cultures write completely different poetry. I have read American poetry and now Latino poetry, huge difference.
Judith
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dropped
Ilan Stavans wrote an awesome book titled "Spanglish." I recommend that one! This one was
...lukewarm. I enjoyed Stavans' contributions (especially his introduction; what a work-out for
my brain when he kept switching languages mid-sentence!) Other than the wonderful Gary
Soto, the other folks were not my cuppa tea.
Kimberly Rosiles
Wachale are the stories and poetry about some famous latin people expressinq themselves and some of the things they had to go through to get where they are. This book really gave a big impact on me because it really made me open my eyes and realize that even famous people go through some of the struggling things that we go through.
Whitney
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book has well written short stories and poems, but it should really be called "growing up latino in the 1950s through 1970s". It just didn't feel terribly relevant for today's youth. I like that it addresses Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Chicano culture, etc.
Salsabrarian
A compilation of poems, short stories, and essays reflecting the Hispanic American experience. Some poems have English and Spanish translations included. Includes the great Spanglish version of “Twas the Night Before Christmas,†“Twas the Night†by MarÃa Eugenia Morales. ...more
Jacqueline
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nice collection of material from different perspectives of the Hispanic-American tradition. The introduction by Ilan Stavans was excellent.
Cathy
May 06, 2016
Rosalinda Castro
Apr 12, 2013
Isabel
rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2017
Tracy
Aug 13, 2010
Ci546_manuelanavarro
Nov 13, 2010
Ilan Stavans is the Lewis-Sebring Professor in Latin American and Latino Culture at Amherst College. An award-winning writer and public television host, his books include Growing Up Latino and Spanglish. A native of Mexico City, he lives in Amherst, Massachusetts.
More about Ilan Stavans...