Start by marking “Finding Frida Kahlo” as Want to Read:
Finding Frida Kahlo

Finding Frida Kahlo

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  42 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"Let's go see the Frida Kahlos."

It seemed inconceivable that after decades of exhibitions, auctions, books, and movies, unpublished Frida Kahlo artwork could still be found anywhere, much less a shop in a converted textile factory. "Well, if you don't believe me just come along," replied her traveling companion. Levine, having recently relocated to San Miguel de Allende, M
Published September 2nd 2009 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about Finding Frida Kahlo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Frida Kahlo

Kim
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is a gorgeously laid out book with incredible visuals, that oddly enough, were supported with fascinating text. I've always been fascinated my ephemera and the story it tells vs the story we recall, and this book is a nice tangent to that (although in Frida's case there is much history to supplement the ephemera and there isn't much supposition).
Veronica
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Explains the unlikely circumstances in which her personal effects were found and how they were collated and studied, culminating in this book.

Also further confirms stated aspects of her history as accurate, such as thoughts about her husband, lifelong experience of physical pain and her self-accepted bisexuality.

An engaging insight into the life and mind of Frida Kahlo the person, with handwritten stream of consciousness notes and poems.

Exposes fascinating details of her belongings and ephemera
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like that this book was divided into two clear parts - the research/interview portion, and then the unpacking/translation portion. This was a haunting and personal look into one of my own personal heroes, and I finished it in one sitting. Frida's humanity really shines through in this book, and I appreciate the respectful and objective way in which the author(s) chose to present both the story of this collection's acquisition, as well as the presentation of its contents.
Bhan13
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's a light read but ephemera, Frida Kahlo, musings on collecting, and lots of pretty pictures makes this book predictably enjoyable for me. Frida's self-portrait of herself as a deer with an Aztec figure above is one of my favourite pieces of hers, and the talk of forgery is political and to be expected and doesn't bother me a bit.
Amy
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
there are not enough stars to rate the magnitude of beauty, craft, and composition (visual and narrative) contained in these pages. this is no coffee table space-holder. it is compelling, engaging, and absolutely stunning!
Elizabeth