Start by marking “The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)

The Struggle

(The Vampire Diaries #2)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  34,613 ratings  ·  1,298 reviews
Author(s): L. J. Smith ISBN: 9780061963872 Binding: Paperback Published: 2009-10-01 In book two of the Vampire Diaries Elena Gilbert quickly realizes that the only thing more dangerous that being in love with a vampire is being desired by two. As Stefan struggles to suppress his instinctive thirst, Damon persists in his quest for Elenas heart. A dark turn of events forces ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Struggle, please sign up.
Catherine A. I'm sorry to say this as I am an avid book lover, but honestly, don't read the books. This is the one TV series probably ever that is better than its …moreI'm sorry to say this as I am an avid book lover, but honestly, don't read the books. This is the one TV series probably ever that is better than its corresponding book series.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura It is very different. If you’re not enjoying it- I say don’t continue reading.

·  34,613 ratings  ·  1,298 reviews

Start your review of The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 The Awakening - ★★★★★
#2 The Struggle - ★★★★★

The Struggle is the continuation of the Vampire Diaries Series by L.J. Smith. The second book that features the life of popular girl Elena Gilbert and her endeavors with the mysterious vampire brothers Stefan and Damon Salvatore.

The Struggle continues where The Awakening ends; Elena is looking to talk to Damon, knowing that he has something to do with Stefan's disappearance.

I felt like there was
Jamie
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This second book of the Vampire Diaries series picks up exactly where the first book ended. Stefan is missing, and Elena confronts Damon by her choosing. We see a lot more of Damon in this books and he gets close to classmates and family members, drawing ever closer to her. Bonnie's abilities get showcased more in this book as well. This story also focuses more on Elena's missing diary.
The pace of this book seemed a bit faster to me, which I liked. we also get to know the minor characters, Matt,
Michelle
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Like many people, I read this because I loved the TV show. To anybody else who has this idea, I say this: really, truly, don't waste your time. Even if you love the characters. The TV show has created lovely characters and the book just doesn't have them.

This second book was better than the first. Had to be, since pretty much nothing happened in the first. Of course, the main character still carries a sense of petulance with her like a shadow, for no good reason. Damon is un-redeemably evil and
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I did a book report on this volume in 7th grade. I made a movie poster on fluorescent orange poster board. My cast was horrible, because I was limited to cutting pictures out of magazines. So Stefan was Leonardo DiCaprio, because I obviously hated Stefan enough to foist this casting decision on him. Elena was Alicia Silverstone because she was the only blonde I could find, and Damon was Skeet Ulrich because he was so hot in Scream.

Anyway, it's a super ugly poster (I still have it), but I got an
Sanara♥
Better than the first book...had more going on in the story. So it's obviously a bit better since pretty much nothing happened in the 1st book lol.

But still overrated and the characters are still shallow and unlikable. I didn't think it was possible to dislike every single character in a book...but then I read the Vampire Diaries..😝 Actually Matt and Meredith are a bit better than the rest but the fact that they are Elena's friends makes me dislike them. 🤧
Isamlq
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I want my YA goggles back! Iwant my YA heroines to be strong and independent. I want my heroes not to be creepy. What ever happened to strong and independent heroines/heroes? Why on earth has this story come to revolve around a murderous set... and I don't mean the vampires!

I really don't like the heroine here. But to be fair, I really don't like the "heroes" either. Stefan... is whiny! Damon is creepy. Elena is a self centered spoiled princess. Who could blame Caroline for feeling threatend by
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
I mean these aren't exactly wonderful but I'm getting through them quickly and to be honest it's keeping me entertained.
Kim M
This is a HUGE improvement to the first book. Stuff actually happens! 3.5 stars.

The Struggle picks up right where The Awakening leaves off—with Elena storming into the graveyard and yelling for Damon. What she thinks she—a normal human with no particular strengths or powers—will do against a 500-year-old vampire who has been hunting and preying on humans for centuries is beyond me, but hey, at least she's doing something, I guess!

I'm still not into Elena and Stefan's relationship. It wasn't buil
Jammin Jenny
I liked this second installment in the Vampire Diaries. For some reason though, I think I liked the TV series better. I'm not sure why. I did like the interaction between Stefan and Elena, and her worry about letting him know that Caroline stole her diary that contained damning information about Stefan and his family and secrets. I'll probably still finish out the series because I do like it, I was just hoping for more.
Maliha
This book is the 2nd in the vampire diaries series, and starts immediately where ‘The Awakening’ left off. It is essential to have read the first book to be able to read this one. Do not read this thinking that being familiar with the television series will be enough information. Many of the characters are different, and some of them don’t even exist in the show.

In the Struggle, Stefan is still being blamed for animal attacks happening in Fell’s Church, and Elena's diary has been stolen by Carol
Jessica
By the time I got to the second book I was really hooked, like I've said in my previous review (of book #1) it's very different to the tv series but that doesn't really effect anything now that I'm used to this 'version'. Again this isn't the longest of books but there's still quite a lot of stuff packed into the chapters.

I thought the ending was really...dramatic, I'm not quite sure if that's the right word, but I'll get to that later.

For those of you who haven't read the book: Elena has now fo
Kate
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
The Struggle- The Vampire Diaries #2

I enjoyed this book, Elena was much more fun to read about this time, as opposed to the first book where she was quite stuck-up.

I still don't really feel connected to either Stefan or Damon in this series so far unfortunately, but I do enjoy Meredith and Bonnie, they're a great support system for Elena.

The love aspect between Stefan and Elena is staged to be so powerful and 'end all' by the author, but I feel as if they don't even really talk much at all thro
Allison ☾
2 thoughts:

1- Matt is too good for any of the people in this book. He's a sweet cinnamon roll too pure for this world.

1- Holy shit that ending!
J.D. Stroube
This book was better than the first. It seems to be the true starting point in the series, and I really wish L.J. Smith would have combined the first and second books.
Ana  Lelis
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-portuguese
It was a very nice reading. I read it in few hours and it was pleasant and exciting. I still don't like Damon and I wish Elena was less childish. She annoyed me sometimes and because of that I'm not rating 5 stars. Apart from, I'm excited to read the next book asap!
Alahna
pre-read
already own it on my kindle. Might as well read it.

after reading:
it's so bad. SOOOO BAD. but also kind of great??? like you know where there are books that are so bad you hate them more than anything, but then there are books that are so bad they are good?

I mean this book was written in what? 92? Something about that just makes me excuse how bad it is. We are clearly in the high point of YA literature now (although hopefully it will continue to get better) so everything that kind of cam
Done in one sitting. I love an easy read, this one was a bit better than the first, more exciting but I can't stand how clingy Elena is and how much she's already in love with Stefan, I don't believe it 😂
Abigail
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Read & Enjoyed 'The Awakening'
The second entry in L.J. Smith's four-book Vampire Diaries series, which features the story of a young woman caught up in a bitter love triangle with two vampire brothers, The Struggle picks up exactly where the first installment ( The Awakening ) left off. In the graveyard...

As the stakes rise, Elena finds herself confronting bad-boy Damon Salvatore - ruthlessly intent on making her his dark queen - while seeking to protect the one she loves: Damon's good-guy younger brother, Stefan. Caught i
Christine Spoors
I’m really enjoying these audiobooks despite nothing much really happening in this story. So there’s two vampires in the town & a few folk have died but nothing is really happening about it... I wish more was happening with the vampires, but instead Elena has lost her diary... I was still hooked for some reason. ...more
Nicole
The Struggle - The Vampire Diaries 2

Meredith and Bonnie and Matt are getting more 'pagetime'. Thankfully it is not only Elena.

It is good to read more about the others as well!
Lexi304
way better than the first one, honestly. the ending was also pretty good, i'm excited to see where the story goes in the next one.
Janelle Dazzlepants
One word to describe this book: EPIC. A HUGE improvement on The Awakening, because it deals with Damon increasing his reign over Fell's Church and over Elena's life. He's creepy as hell, totally dangerous, and really kept me reading on. I wasnt sure how I felt about Damon at the end of the first book, but now I'm hooked.

Elena's changed a whole lot since The Awakening, and is no longer catty and obsessed by pathetic and petty high school things. Though that's not to say that everybody else feels
Shameeka Alexis
I'd pretty much given up on the series after the first book,The Awakening.
But I was interested to give the series another try after hearing one of my friends gush on and on about the TV series.
I re-read The Awakening and continued with The Struggle.

The book picks up where the first book left off.

In the second novella of the first volume, what follows is a fight for Elena's affections and indeed her soul as Stefan's older brother is unmasked as the real culprit behind the horrible attacks and t
➸ Gwen de Sade
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I like the TV Series, it's really my guilty pleasure - so I was willing to overlook a fault or two but this is groundbreakingly stupid and badly written. I can't believe this nonsense could be the foundation for ANYTHING.

PS.: I'm still thinking about reading the next installments too, though. lol. Why am I like this?
Ela
Mariah Roze
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in high school and really enjoyed it! That's about all I can remember.
Cinthia
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristine Hansen
Elena becomes less likeable as she gains the man of her dreams and starts shutting out everyone in her life that cares about her. What's up with that? Will I ever read a book about a girl involved with a vampire in a HEALTHY way?

Though at least Stefan seems to want her to be with her friends. It's only Elena who's being the stupid one. Then add in Damon and Elena's stupidity knows no bounds.

The lesson that comes from this book? I'd say something along the lines of - if things are troubling you
Pam Nelson
Ahh Ok, this is where the storylines are becoming more and more like some of the TV series. I kind of like that, and there are still parts that are so far from the TV series it cracks me up.

The fact that Elena and Stefan are now engaged well that was a shocker but I am enjoying this triangle relationship between those two and Damon.

Also really love the fact that Matt and Stefan are friends, Stefan says something like only he and Elena accept him for who he is not what he is and that is somethi
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries #2) by L.J. Smith - Starting April 14th 2017 7 11 Apr 20, 2017 05:01PM
young adult 1 5 Sep 24, 2015 07:56PM
young adult 1 2 Sep 24, 2015 07:55PM
Live, Laugh & Lov...: The Struggle 1 3 Jan 29, 2014 08:38AM

• Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • The Resurrection (The Originals, #3)
  • The Loss (The Originals, #2)
  • The Rise (The Originals, #1)
  • Lügenengel
  • Flawless (Pretty Little Liars, #2)
  • New Moon (Twilight, #2)
  • Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4)
  • Eclipse (Twilight, #3)
  • Eclipse: Edward
  • A Bridge To Wiseman's Cove
  • Unbelievable (Pretty Little Liars, #4)
  • Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
  • Perfect (Pretty Little Liars, #3)
  • New Moon: Edward
  • Blood Omen Book V: The Balance (Blood Omen Saga 5)
  • Midnight Sun Part 2
  • High School Musical
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th

The Vampire Diaries (4 books)
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)