Start by marking “The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #2)

The Struggle

(The Vampire Diaries #2)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  32,180 ratings  ·  1,197 reviews
Author(s): L. J. Smith ISBN: 9780061963872 Binding: Paperback Published: 2009-10-01 In book two of the Vampire Diaries Elena Gilbert quickly realizes that the only thing more dangerous that being in love with a vampire is being desired by two. As Stefan struggles to suppress his instinctive thirst, Damon persists in his quest for Elenas heart. A dark turn of events forces ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Struggle, please sign up.
Catherine A. I'm sorry to say this as I am an avid book lover, but honestly, don't read the books. This is the one TV series probably ever that is better than its…moreI'm sorry to say this as I am an avid book lover, but honestly, don't read the books. This is the one TV series probably ever that is better than its corresponding book series.(less)

·  32,180 ratings  ·  1,197 reviews

Jamie
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This second book of the Vampire Diaries series picks up exactly where the first book ended. Stefan is missing, and Elena confronts Damon by her choosing. We see a lot more of Damon in this books and he gets close to classmates and family members, drawing ever closer to her. Bonnie's abilities get showcased more in this book as well. This story also focuses more on Elena's missing diary.
The pace of this book seemed a bit faster to me, which I liked. we also get to know the minor characters, Matt,
Michelle
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Like many people, I read this because I loved the TV show. To anybody else who has this idea, I say this: really, truly, don't waste your time. Even if you love the characters. The TV show has created lovely characters and the book just doesn't have them.

This second book was better than the first. Had to be, since pretty much nothing happened in the first. Of course, the main character still carries a sense of petulance with her like a shadow, for no good reason. Damon is un-redeemably evil and
Sanara♥
Better than the first book...had more going on in the story. So it's obviously a bit better since pretty much nothing happened in the 1st book lol.

But still overrated and the characters are still shallow and unlikable. I didn't think it was possible to dislike every single character in a book...but then I read the Vampire Diaries..😝 Actually Matt and Meredith are a bit better than the rest but the fact that they are Elena's friends makes me dislike them. 🤧
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I did a book report on this volume in 7th grade. I made a movie poster on fluorescent orange poster board. My cast was horrible, because I was limited to cutting pictures out of magazines. So Stefan was Leonardo DiCaprio, because I obviously hated Stefan enough to foist this casting decision on him. Elena was Alicia Silverstone because she was the only blonde I could find, and Damon was Skeet Ulrich because he was so hot in Scream.

Anyway, it's a super ugly poster (I still have it), but I got an
Isamlq
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I want my YA goggles back! Iwant my YA heroines to be strong and independent. I want my heroes not to be creepy. What ever happened to strong and independent heroines/heroes? Why on earth has this story come to revolve around a murderous set... and I don't mean the vampires!

I really don't like the heroine here. But to be fair, I really don't like the "heroes" either. Stefan... is whiny! Damon is creepy. Elena is a self centered spoiled princess. Who could blame Caroline for feeling threatend by
Beatriz
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanto o más adictivo que la primera entrega, quizá porque estamos en pleno desarrollo de la historia. Simplemente es un libro que no se puede soltar; la acción está tras de cada página, no deja respiro.
Kim M
This is a HUGE improvement to the first book. Stuff actually happens! 3.5 stars.

The Struggle picks up right where The Awakening leaves off—with Elena storming into the graveyard and yelling for Damon. What she thinks she—a normal human with no particular strengths or powers—will do against a 500-year-old vampire who has been hunting and preying on humans for centuries is beyond me, but hey, at least she's doing something, I guess!

I'm still not into Elena and Stefan's relationship. It wasn't buil
Kate ♡
Oct 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
The Struggle- The Vampire Diaries #2

I enjoyed this book, Elena was much more fun to read about this time, as opposed to the first book where she was quite stuck-up.

I still don't really feel connected to either Stefan or Damon in this series so far unfortunately, but I do enjoy Meredith and Bonnie, they're a great support system for Elena.

The love aspect between Stefan and Elena is staged to be so powerful and 'end all' by the author, but I feel as if they don't even really talk much at all thro
Allison ☾
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2 thoughts:

1- Matt is too good for any of the people in this book. He's a sweet cinnamon roll too pure for this world.

1- Holy shit that ending!
Jessica
By the time I got to the second book I was really hooked, like I've said in my previous review (of book #1) it's very different to the tv series but that doesn't really effect anything now that I'm used to this 'version'. Again this isn't the longest of books but there's still quite a lot of stuff packed into the chapters.

I thought the ending was really...dramatic, I'm not quite sure if that's the right word, but I'll get to that later.

For those of you who haven't read the book: Elena has now fo
J.D. Stroube
This book was better than the first. It seems to be the true starting point in the series, and I really wish L.J. Smith would have combined the first and second books.
Ana  Lelis
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-portuguese
It was a very nice reading. I read it in few hours and it was pleasant and exciting. I still don't like Damon and I wish Elena was less childish. She annoyed me sometimes and because of that I'm not rating 5 stars. Apart from, I'm excited to read the next book asap!
Alahna
pre-read
already own it on my kindle. Might as well read it.

after reading:
it's so bad. SOOOO BAD. but also kind of great??? like you know where there are books that are so bad you hate them more than anything, but then there are books that are so bad they are good?

I mean this book was written in what? 92? Something about that just makes me excuse how bad it is. We are clearly in the high point of YA literature now (although hopefully it will continue to get better) so everything that kind of cam
Done in one sitting. I love an easy read, this one was a bit better than the first, more exciting but I can't stand how clingy Elena is and how much she's already in love with Stefan, I don't believe it 😂
Shameeka Alexis
I'd pretty much given up on the series after the first book,The Awakening.
But I was interested to give the series another try after hearing one of my friends gush on and on about the TV series.
I re-read The Awakening and continued with The Struggle.

The book picks up where the first book left off.

In the second novella of the first volume, what follows is a fight for Elena's affections and indeed her soul as Stefan's older brother is unmasked as the real culprit behind the horrible attacks and t
Janelle Dazzlepants
One word to describe this book: EPIC. A HUGE improvement on The Awakening, because it deals with Damon increasing his reign over Fell's Church and over Elena's life. He's creepy as hell, totally dangerous, and really kept me reading on. I wasnt sure how I felt about Damon at the end of the first book, but now I'm hooked.

Elena's changed a whole lot since The Awakening, and is no longer catty and obsessed by pathetic and petty high school things. Though that's not to say that everybody else feels
➸ Gwen de Sade
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I like the TV Series, it's really my guilty pleasure - so I was willing to overlook a fault or two but this is groundbreakingly stupid and badly written. I can't believe this nonsense could be the foundation for ANYTHING.

PS.: I'm still thinking about reading the next installments too, though. lol. Why am I like this?
Ela
Mariah Roze
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in high school and really enjoyed it! That's about all I can remember.
Cinthia
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kristine Hansen
Elena becomes less likeable as she gains the man of her dreams and starts shutting out everyone in her life that cares about her. What's up with that? Will I ever read a book about a girl involved with a vampire in a HEALTHY way?

Though at least Stefan seems to want her to be with her friends. It's only Elena who's being the stupid one. Then add in Damon and Elena's stupidity knows no bounds.

The lesson that comes from this book? I'd say something along the lines of - if things are troubling you
Pam Nelson
Ahh Ok, this is where the storylines are becoming more and more like some of the TV series. I kind of like that, and there are still parts that are so far from the TV series it cracks me up.

The fact that Elena and Stefan are now engaged well that was a shocker but I am enjoying this triangle relationship between those two and Damon.

Also really love the fact that Matt and Stefan are friends, Stefan says something like only he and Elena accept him for who he is not what he is and that is somethi
Azbaqiyah
Greek Book Addiction
REALLY BETTER from the first one of the series!
Vikas
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story moves from one book to another from the next scene and not like other sequels which may take few days or few years. This was a perfect candidate for combining books owing to the two facts these books are rather smaller and as they flow from one book to another joining two books is just liked binging TV Series.

So this also continues right from the next scene and goes on from there. Already accepted difference between TV Series & the books I liked it very much. It moves different f
Daniela Lago
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the second book because I had a few points in my local bookshop and I could pick one book,so I chose this one. I regret nothing.
When I first read the first one, I was in a big dilemma, because I wanted to know how the story actually was but I constantly felt more attracted to the characters in the show, which is the version I knew first.
In the book everything is really different from the show, even though it has the same events, twisted and at different times; but everything has a diff
Owaiz
Jun 18, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My reaction when I finished reading this: What the fuck did I just read?

Okay, so I might have misled even myself with the rating I gave to the first book, 3 stars. This one was an utter waste of time, absolute trash, and pointless. It was a struggle reading this, even though it was pretty short.

I thought reading the books would give me a better insight and help me understand the TV show better (which I stopped liking after the first two seasons), but it didn't. This book has less story than a
Siobhan
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I hate myself for this, but I watched the television series first. I rarely do this, but in this case I did. In all honestly, I’m glad I did it that way around. Had I read the books first I would not have watched the show. Whilst I have come to dislike the show I at least lasted through a number of series. With the books I hated most of the characters from book one, and only continued on because I’d been brought the first four books (yeah, I do love to subject myself to torture).

If I read this c
Danice
I loved this book simply because I think Damon is SO.DAMN.HOT!!!

[image error]

DAMON, COULD YOU PLEASE DO ME A FAVOR AND BITE ME???!!!!

I'm a sucker for bad boys. haha

I don't care how creepy he is. I just love him and I also like his enthusiasm.

LOVED THIS BOOK! :) but not liking Stefan that much.

The only thing I hate was the ending. Why does it have to happen to Elena????? On the bright side maybe it happened to her so she could stop being too weak.

Can't wait to read The Fury to find out.
Veselina Bakalova-Mihaylovska
Тотално разочарована съм от книгата и бих й дала дори 1 звезда, ако не беше фактът, че все пак някои черти на героите са правдоподобни и си пасват с изградения им образ. Честно казано, може би ги сравнявам с тези в сериала, но тук изобщо не са ми симпатични. Ще продължа да чета поредицата и се надявам следващата книга да е по - добра, но за момента ми се струва твърде повърхностна и прекалено непретенциозна вампирска история.
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries #2) by L.J. Smith - Starting April 14th 2017 7 11 Apr 20, 2017 05:01PM
young adult 1 5 Sep 24, 2015 07:56PM
young adult 1 2 Sep 24, 2015 07:55PM
Live, Laugh & Lov...: The Struggle 1 3 Jan 29, 2014 08:38AM

• Phantom (The Last Vampire, #4)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Hungry For You
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • The Silver Kiss
  • Reign of the Dead
  • The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)
  • Girls That Growl (Blood Coven Vampire, #3)
  • Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)
  • Evil Returns (Vampire's Promise, #2)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th

The Vampire Diaries (4 books)
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • The Fury (The Vampire Diaries, #3)
  • Dark Reunion (The Vampire Diaries, #4)
“You only want everything you don't have"
Matt from The vampire diaries”
117 likes
“And Meredith and Bonnie, who's going to bend some spoons for us next. I'm going to throw you down a rope… that is, unless Bonnie can levitate you out.” 108 likes