Start by marking “The Courts of Love: The Story of Eleanor of Aquitaine (Queens of England, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Courts of Love: The Story of Eleanor of Aquitaine (Queens of England, #5)

The Courts of Love: The Story of Eleanor of Aquitaine (Queens of England #5)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,646 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
When I look back over my long and tempestuous life, I can see that much of what happened to me—my triumphs and most of my misfortunes—was due to my passionate relationships with men. I was a woman who considered herself their equal—and in many ways their superior—but it seemed that I depended on them, while seeking to be the dominant partner—an attitude which could hardly ...more
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Courts of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courts of Love

Trisha
English history intrigues me so I greatly injoyed this book about Eleanor of Acquitaine, who lived in the 12 century during a fascinating period - when the Church was even more powerful than kings and when going off on crusades to save the Holy Land was considered the height of glory. Eleanor was a gutsy lady - way ahead of her time - who sounds like she would have done very well living in the 21st century instead of the 12th. But nevertheless she managed to make quite a mark for herself as it w ...more
Britt
I've read two other Jean Plaidy novels before and decided my next one, and the rest from then on, should be read in historical order. She's written so many books and some are in print in one country but not in another, or are by different titles, so most Jean Plaidy lists compiled by historical order are a little muddled. This is the one I found to be first historically.

I didn't enjoy this nearly as much as the other two I've read so far. At times the narrative seemed choppy. Some of this might
Jessie
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for an easy read, and some historical fiction that's predominately fiction, than this is the book for you. But I appreciate a lot more historical accuracy in my books, so I was sadly disappointed.

I've already read a few books about Eleanor and the early Plantagenet kings, which I'm sure skewed my impression of this book compared to readers who are coming to the tale for the first time.

First off, I absolutely loathed Plaidy's use of the first-person narration - a sort of reminis
Robin
This was the first book by this author that I read and I loved it! There is very little in the way of historical fiction that deals with the reigns of early Kings of England, except King Arthur. This focuses on the wife of Henry I, Eleanor of Aquitaine. It follows her life from her first marriage to the King of France through her extremely tumultuous marriage to Henry II, also showing her relationships with her children, including Richard I (the Lionheart). I really, really enjoyed this book bec ...more
Jamilah
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is historical fiction, but the author seems to stay relatively true to history, just occasionally taking historical rumor and treating it as truth. She tells the story as a "memoir" by Eleanor of Aquitaine. It is slightly dry reading sometimes, although not nearly as dry as a history textbook would be!
MaryKate
3.5 stars. Plaidy is an excellent storyteller and it is a joy to read a historically accurate HF novel. I don't know much about Eleanor of Aquitaine and her family, but I am now desperate to read and learn more! She was an extraordinary woman and Plaidy takes you from her young childhood in Aquitaine up to her death at an old age. You feel her sorrow, joy, hate, and love for her husbands and children and you don't want to let the story go at the end.

There were a few aspects of Plaidy's writing
Robin
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Better overall character development than Nora Loft's novel on Eleanor of Aquitaine (the only other Eleanor novel I've read so far so I'll compare the two). One of the things I love about Plaidy is her assessments of the relationships between the characters and this does not disappoint. At the same time, it also details the political and worldly events better. But I felt like Loft handled Eleanor's period of captivity better, it was actually the strongest part of the book whereas Plaidy brushes ...more
Mandy Moody
I read The Courts of Love immediately after reading Eleanor the Queen (by Norah Lofts). The two books portray Eleanor in very different ways, and because of that I had a hard time with this book at the begining.
Plaidy's book is quite a bit more detailed, and takes us into parts of Eleanor's life that Lofts doesn't visit. She does an excellent job bringing Eleanor to life and making her a relatable character.
Though it was dry at times, I really enjoyed this one, and appreciated the historical acc
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Plaidy as well. This book was also the first book I had ever read on Eleanor of Aquitaine, and it inspired a bit of a love-affair with the "Grandmother of Europe" as she is known. I do agree that Plaidy can be a bit dry at times, however I feel if you stick through you can find that underneath is a fantastic historical fiction about a fascinating woman.

I'm not a huge fan of some of her other works, but this is one I have re-read a couple times. If you have the time (and
Gene Rios
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, once I got past a certain dialogue part, the book regained its rhythm. I could definitely pick up on the rising action as Eleanor aged, and I enjoyed it considerably. I especially found it interesting to read about the blatant homosexuality in Richard the Lion-Hearted, a man with Norse beauty and British militance. All in all, The Courts of Love was a good read!
  • Eleanor the Queen
  • The Secret Eleanor
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • Harlot Queen
  • The First Princess of Wales
  • A Lady Raised High: A Novel of Anne Boleyn
  • Lady of the Roses: A Novel of the Wars of the Roses
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • To the Tower Born: A Novel of the Lost Princes
  • Duchess of Aquitaine: A Novel of Eleanor
  • My Enemy, the Queen
  • Hugh and Bess: A Love Story
  • The Shield of Three Lions (Alix of Wanthwaite, #1)
  • Time and Chance (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #2)
  • The Secret Wife of King George IV
  • The Falcons of Montabard
  • The Uncrowned Queen (War of the Roses, #3)
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Queens of England (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Myself, My Enemy (Queens of England, #1)
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
  • Victoria Victorious: The Story of Queen Victoria (Queens of England, #3)
  • The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4)
  • In the Shadow of the Crown (Queens of England, #6)
  • The Queen's Secret (Queens of England, #7)
  • The Reluctant Queen: The Story of Anne of York (Queens of England, #8)
  • The Merry Monarch's Wife (Queens of England, #9)
  • William's Wife (Queens of England, #10)
  • The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11)
“How stupid lovers can be! But if they were not, there would be no story.” 71 likes
“I was always amused by the prayers of the saintly. “God do this, God don’t do that.” I thought God probably laughed at them too, unless He was a little annoyed by their temerity.” 10 likes