Start by marking “Among the Shadows: Tales from the Darker Side” as Want to Read:
Among the Shadows: Tales from the Darker Side

Among the Shadows: Tales from the Darker Side

These nineteen fascinating stories are unlike any others L.M. Montgomery ever wrote.  Filled with strange and supernatural occurrences, they are peopled with drunkards, embezzlers, and thieves: A woman confesses to murder after she has passed away. . . . A righteous deacon gets a taste of his own bitter medicine. . . . An amateur photographer records a dark deed. . . . The ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 280 pages
Published June 1st 1992 by McClelland & Stewart (first published April 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Among the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Among the Shadows

Manybooks
Although Among the Shadows: Tales From the Darker Side ranks amongst my favourite of the Rea Wilmshurt thematic L.M. Montgomery short story collections, like with ALL such compilations, there are inclusions that I have absolutely loved, some that I have only mildly appreciated and even a select few stories that I have personally rather majorly despised (and no, Among the Shadows: Tales From the Darker Side is not really in any manner a collection of mostly horror tales either, although there are ...more
Gayle
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne of Green Gables and the six books of that series are the cornerstone of the reputation of L M Montgomery, but she has written many other books as well, sought out and enjoyed by her many fans. I ran across Among the Shadows and was diverted by the premise that ties together this collection of short stories. These are tales from the dark side, the jacket promised, showing a grimmer edge than Montgomery's fans are likely to expect.

Truth to tell, I am not one of her die-hard fans. I liked Anne
Salma
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LM Montgomery was probably one of the most prolific writers in history, and this is a collection of her ghost stories. I recently went back and read these for the first time, with a kind of dreaded anticipation, similar to meeting your first crush twenty years later.
There are ghost stories here, but most of the topics focus on things that are more likely to be everyday news now- i.e. alcoholism, embezzlement, babies born out of wedlock, etc.- stuff that really was in 'the Shadows' a century ago
Jean Ramsay
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, books-i-own, 2014
LM Montgomery is my constant. I've read this book at least every two years for over a decade now - it's like falling into a blissful state of nostalgia.
Kerry
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: everything
I just finished reading Among the Shadows, yet another collection of Lucy Maud Montgomery short stories. As with most of the other anthologies, the stories in Among the Shadows were grouped together because they shared a common theme. Each of the stories feature some sort of otherworldly, ghostly element and/or a criminal element. There is no doubt about it. This collection contained some of Montgomery’s most melodramatic work. Murderers, criminals and things that go bump in the night abound in ...more
Julie
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for Christmas, and I didn’t know what to expect, because I knew that Montgomery is a great writer, and Ive never heard of this book.
I enjoyed the book very much! I loved the spooky, weird stories; they were captivating and some of them funny. If you want some scary stories and you are fed up with zombies and vampires, why not try this book?
Throughout the stories I kept wondering if any of these things which were mentioned in the book could be actually real! There are nineteen sh
Karli Walton
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't scary, just eery, mysterious, sometimes sad, and always beautiful! L.M. Montgomery is one of my all-time favorite authors. She knew how to combine humor, tragedy, mystery, and whimsy into one books. It feels childish and incredibly mature at the same time. Her characters are very real. These short stories are fantastic, I have to re-read them every so often.
Naomi
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little creepy and so much fun. A great fall read.
Stephanie
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: reread, 2019
I remember these stories being much more spooky and other-worldly when I first read them. Some gems here but some duds as well.
Nancy Bandusky
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of 19 short stories that involve the seamy side of life - although still family friendly. The stories are beautifully written and capture the reader quickly. Several of them are quite moving - especially "The Redemption of John Churchill."
Elinor  Loredan
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-m-montgomery
Though this collection didn't blow me away, I still enjoyed it and will revisit it. I thought that 'Some Fools and a Saint' was done very well. The subtle clues as to who the 'spook' was kept my suspicion fluctuating between Alice, Lucia, and Mr. Sheldon. The main thing I enjoyed were the exploits of the 'ghost' and wondering what it would do next.

SPOILERS coming up

'The Martyrdom of Estella' does bother me a bit, since I have my doubts that if Spencer had not seen Ms. Lemar drunk, he wouldn't ha
For me this was one of my more favorite L.M. Montgomery books. While I fell in love with the Anne of Green Gables series as an adolescent, I've since become an even bigger fan of her less puritanical later works, especially her short stories, which is exactly what Among the Shadows: Tales From the Darker Side (edited by Rea Wilmhurst and published in 1990), contains.

If you've read any of Montgomery's other books, you shouldn't be surprised that her fascination with the paranormal led her to writ
Amanda Caldwell
Most readers know L.M. Montgomery for her most popular book, Anne of Green Gables. I have not actually read Anne or any other book by ol' Lucy Maud, but I hear they're pretty good. I own Anne of Green Gables and will hopefully get around to reading it someday.

I chose Among The Shadows to read during October in honor of Halloween. I have to admit, I felt a little misled by this book. It wasn't very spooky at all. I guess the book doesn't actually make the claim that it is spooky or scary, but I
KATHY
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my too read list ever since I bought it at my hometown's library book fair when I was 17. I'm very glad that I was able to read this collection of short stories now that I'm 27. I don't think I would have been mature enough to read it at 17. The characters in all these short stories are idealistic and would have appealed to my naive and stupid self who just wanted to belong. Now as an adult I can love these short stories for their flaws which make the characters' passion or ...more
Cynthia Egbert
All of these are not necessarily ghost stories but they do deal with darker subject matter than Montgomery usually tackles. I really enjoyed these stories. She is a prolific writer and if you have read the Anne books as well as some of her other works you will find familiar themes and even stories that remind you of other things she has written but that is just fine with me. She can certainly turn a phrase, as is evident in the quotes below...

"I was sensitive and quick of perception, as old-youn
LobsterQuadrille
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of L.M. Montgomery, darker stories
I think some people harbor a misconception that L.M. Montgomery just wrote idyllic children's books and stories with sprightly heroines and happy endings. Among the Shadows is a unusual collection of her stories that really shatters that myth. They are about crime, death, guilt, vengeance, and even supernatural occurrences. They vary in tone, with some being almost humorous, others sinister, and a few which stick more to the warmer tone of Montgomery's better-known works. I enjoyed rereading thi ...more
Amalie
I am a lifelong fan of L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables but for past three or four years I completely lost touch with her work, more 'serious' writing was preoccupying my mind. But when I began to read Among the Shadows: Tales from the Darker Side, it was like a breath of fresh air. This is like a relief from a long tiring day, like practicing Tai Chi.

This collection of stories is simply and had the Montgomery comfort that I feel in love with. Although at first I thought it was a collecti
rabbitprincess
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of LMM
Shelves: borrowed, 2011, oh-canada
* * * 1/2

This short story collection will appeal to fans of L.M. Montgomery who also like a dose of spookiness in their tales. Be warned, though: not all the tales are as shivery as a title like Among the Shadows would lead you to believe. Some tales are well-executed but not spooky. Some are kind of predictable, but that may just be because they're so short that there isn't much time for multiple devious twists and turns. All of them are enjoyable to some extent, with a few being downright swee
Ami
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with a collection of short stories is that there will always be some you don't like and others you do. Even when the author is somebody I adore (yes, despite Kilmeny of the Orchard, I still love you Lucy Maud.) So really, it all comes down to percentages. What percentage of the collection did I enjoy? What percentage didn't make the grade?
Among the Shadows was a success for me. I enjoyed or was entertained by the majority of what I read. Most of the stories retained that sweet old fa
Kerith
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Of all the short story collections this is probably one of the better offerings - so many of them are repetitive beyond belief (Akin to Anne, I'm looking at you), plus it's hard to remember these were published separately in magazines and not meant to be taken in all at once. Many readers may not know that our Lucy Maud had a dark side - she suffered from a chronic depression most of her life -- and that she used this darkness to spin some really lovely little tales. Some are spooky and Gothic w ...more
Crystal
Sep 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of ghost stories and/or LM Montgomery
Shelves: classics
This collection of short stories is atypical of the LM Montgomery most girls love and read. They are dark, moody, superstitious stories--dealing with ghosts and death. Being LM Montgomery, even her ghost stories are touched with hope and love and happier sentiments, but this is definitely different. The closest she comes to it in any of her books is some of the scenes throughout her Emily trilogy, where Emily has visions of dead people and experiences death herself on a regular basis.
Even so, t
Stephanie Ricker
On to Among the Shadows: Tales from the Darker Side by L.M. Montgomery, author of the Anne of Green Gables series. These stories were billed as being “unlike any others L.M. Montgomery ever wrote,” “somber, dark, and brooding.” I would like to have a discussion with the blurb writer regarding his or her definitions of these words. Granted, these stories weren’t the Anne books, but they were still awfully full of sweetness and light, and most made for pretty tame ghost stories. Presumably the pub ...more
Sue
I liked this set of her short stories, although they were somewhat uneven. This should be expected since they were published in magazines between 1897 and 1935, so her style changed somewhat over the years. There were ghost stories, murderers, thieves, drunks, and redemption stories. I really enjoyed "The Deacon's Painkiller" and "Miss Calista's Peppermint Bottle" because they were amusing and ended happy. The first story, "The Closed Door", was weird and "The House Party at Smoky Island" was a ...more
Alice
Feb 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Montgomery's guilty pleasure was reading and writing ghost stories. I would be curious who inspired her own dark stories. Her talent as a writer is most apparent in the fact that she could add dark reality and the dark supernatural to her stories of common people at the turn of the century. Horror and ghost stories were not condoned in my religious house, but I managed to smuggle them in under the guise of the post-Victorian Montgomery. She was my first real taste of dark and supernatura ...more
Kalena
Short stories; previously read author. Again, just okay for me. Some of the stories caught my interest more than others. There were strange paranormal stories and those of a right/wrong place at the right/wrong time nature. There were a couple I felt dragged on a bit (even though a short story...) I will also mention I am not a huge fan of short stories so it is already a struggle for me to enjoy and may not accurately reflect on the author's offering.
Rebecca
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I've read all these stories before, I still love re-reading them. Montgomery is the best.
Janelle Higgs
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical L. M. Montgomery story, with lots of beauty, details, etc. These short stories with a darker edge are still interesting and engaging for the modern reader.
Alissa
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So confession time: I never read Anne of Green Gables...unless you count the graphic novelization I flipped through recently because it was sitting on the desk and I was working that day.

(confession #2: I didn't much like Anne Shirley and was bristling with annoyance by the time I finished the graphic. I know I wouldn't have made it through an entire book, let alone a series, centering on such an obnoxious character.)

My lone experience with Ms. Montgomery was The Blue Castle, and this only beca
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful collecting of mostly haunting short stories, perfect for an autumn read.

Many published in magazines, these stories feature the transcendent descriptions of nature that L. M. Montgomery readers have come to expect. Montgomery also shows great care and insight in human nature. These stories are short enough to be read in one sitting, maybe two (except for possibly one longer one, Some Fools and a Saint), yet long enough to draw readers in and make them care for the characters.
Alicia
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far, my favorite collection of short stories by L.M. Montgomery that I've read so far, for a few reasons:
1. The stories in this collection were much more exciting, mysterious, and captivating than her normal cute romance stories.
2. There's more depth and variety to this collection. Although the stories are all darker than most of her stuff, the genres covered are more diverse. There's mystery, supernatural, fantasy, ghost stories.
3. Percentage-wise, I just found myself liking more of these st
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Story Girl Earns Her Name (Road to Avonlea, #2)
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Hidden Rainbow
  • Lizzie Leigh
  • The Anne of Green Gables Treasury
  • Behind a Mask: The Unknown Thrillers of Louisa May Alcott
  • Betsy and the Great World / Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy #9-10)
  • My Little Pony: Micro-Series: #1: Twilight Sparkle
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Roxanne (Sunfire, #15)
  • All the Things We Leave Behind
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
  • In the Mother's Land
  • The Book of the Mad (Secret Books of Paradys, #4)
  • The Wind in the Rosebush and Other Stories of the Supernatural
  • The Zucchini Warriors (Macdonald Hall, #5)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
“She spoke out, with plainness and directness. When you had to deal a mortal blow, why try to lighten it?” 0 likes