Start by marking “The Synonym Finder” as Want to Read:
The Synonym Finder

The Synonym Finder

4.56  ·  Rating details ·  475 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
With a simple alphabetical arrangement this book has been expanded to include thousands of new words and expressions that have entered the language in recent years, and includes clearly labelled slang and informal words and expressions.
Published 1978 by Rodale Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Synonym Finder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Synonym Finder

Michael
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's odd to review a thesaurus, but this really is the best, by far. I mean, sure, it starts off slow, and there's dull patch around "P" and "Q", but then it really picks up its pace. And the ending? Wow. I never saw it coming.
Franky
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, resource
This is a great resource for high school and college students, writers in general, or anyone who is in a composition class of some type. What I like best about this thesaurus is that it is very comprehensive. There are many synonyms given for the words, and the choices are highly effective. This book is also very useful as simply a way to increase one's vocabulary and knowledge of words. To use stronger, more sophisticated language in writing is key to success, and The Synonym Finder will help s ...more
Mona Nomura
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It may seem peculiar to review a thesaurus but, this is not just any thesaurus. J.I. Rodale's The Synonym Finder is magic on paper. There are tens of alternate word choices for almost every common word in the English language. The choices are so extraordinary it even serves as inspiration. This, is a must have for all who read and write. It's my best friend.
Esther Bradley-detally
I don't use a Thesauras, and I suspect that is because I've been such a greedy reader, an ocean of words lives within my psyche and words spring up like wales larking in the ocean. I dunno, but a friend's husband (she is a writer) gave her The Synonym Finder, and it is fantastic. I will user it in teaching writing. I ordered one from Alibris Books on line, and this is a great site. Shipping is 3.95, and some books go as low as 99 cents.

So this is my year end's contribution to books that work for
Evan
Jun 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
This is the best organized and fulsome thesaurus ever. But what is it about thesauri that make them useless to me when I am seeking that very precise word? Nine times out of ten I still don't quite find the word that has the subtlety and precision I want, yet I just know that it's out there. Most of the entries are ten-gallon words you wouldn't use in a million years unless you just wanted to look like a pompous ass. Maybe I need to make up my own.
Hannah
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you ever have trouble thinking of the right word, it's right here! It also has antonyms listed. The layout is easy to use and more intuitive than a regular thesaurus.
Wade
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have used this book almost daily since the early eighties. For many years I had two shelves of thesauri and dictionaries above the desk; gradually, I narrowed that down to a few dictionaries and one thesaurus, this one. I happened to see the following review online recently and copy it here because i can't say it any better.

"This is the best thesaurus there is. It supplies more synonyms, analogs, parallels, equivalents and comparable words in English than any other source, online or off. No o
Donald
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, writer-reads
This thesaurus contains nearly fourteen hundred pages and a million and a half synonymous words. It is laid out in an easy to use format so the one word you’re looking for can be found quickly. Used in conjunction with a good dictionary, you should be able to use words in a way that readers can understand and enjoy.

This is one resource I would recommend for anyone serious about working with language, and should be a staple of every reference library. It is a comprehensive compilation of English
James
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Laugh if you want, but this is by far the most cherished book I own. I use it almost every day for freelance writing, poetry, short stories, novels, articles, blogs, etc. I love some of the more arcane synonyms and phrases for common words, and just flipping through randomly is fun for a word nerd like me. Plus it's heavy enough you could kill a grizzly with it, should you have the need. A must own.
Matt
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is the definitive thesaurus. It has synonyms for just about any word you might be looking for. And under words with multiple meanings there are subdivisions of synonyms for each different meaning. A great book for anyone who loves the English language (or anyone who can't quite find the word he or she is looking for).
Nathan
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students, Business Professionals
Shelves: reference
This book is the best thesaurus, or book of words and their synonym's, that I have ever used. I not only used it when writing papers in college, but I continue to use it when writing business correspondence. This book is a great addition to anyone's reference library that is involved in written communication.
Sandy
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this terrific book to my brother, the journalist. He decided it has been so useful to him that he credited it in his recent book, "Sacred Sea: A Journey to Lake Baikal". I thought that was pretty cool and thank Rodale for writing it and my friend Tom for first introducing me to it!
Cat
May 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is the best book I've ever read. I've never had a thesarus, aside from the mandatory pocket thesaurus of middle school and high school, and let me tell you, I never knew what I was missing (a whole lot, apparently.) It's like having a cross-listed appendix of your dictionary.
Rachel
Feb 18, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Judith Ann Kohnen
This is a must in your writing library! This book will not only provide you with a wide variety of words to use in all your writing, but will help you find “just the right word” to use. This book can also serve as a wonderful source for inspiration.
Richard
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This is the best thesaurus I own.
John Lee
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm shocked the cover hasn't fallen off this book yet; I use it constantly. Excellent resource.
Louise Rose-Innes
Very, very, very useful. Like a thesaurus, but only better.
Becky
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
This is a great thesaurus. Thick and comprehensive!
Calico
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, on-writing
The most complete and accessible thesaurus I've ever used.
Scott
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
The quintessential thesaurus for anyone who writes.
This is a very helpful book, and I've made considerable use of it.
Bubba
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use it when i write.
Elise
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
No writer should be without this book. My aunt gave it to me when I went to college, and I've used it on every document I've written for school or work.
Catherine
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
seriously, probably *the* most useful book I own.
Gretchen
Nov 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gretchen by: Tom at Lippincott
This is just a sweet reference text; the easiest-to-use thesaurus out there.
Theresa
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a fantastic writer resource.
Margaret Metz
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, writing
This is the best thesaurus I've ever used. I enjoy using it and only wish I'd found it sooner.
Avis Black
My regular thesaurus and the best I've ever found.
Mike
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, poetry, writing
I use this when writing songs. Granted, there are online synonym finders, but there's something about paper...
  • The Describer's Dictionary: A Treasury of Terms & Literary Quotations
  • Roget's International Thesaurus
  • Benét's Reader's Encyclopedia
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words
  • The Highly Selective Dictionary for the Extraordinarily Literate
  • Complete Writer's Guide to Heroes and Heroines: Sixteen Master Archetypes
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • Flip Dictionary
  • The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
  • The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
  • The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes
  • Dictionary of Word Origins: Histories of More Than 8,000 English-Language Words
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • The Thinker's Thesaurus: Sophisticated Alternatives to Common Words
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Crazy English
Jerome Irving Rodale (surname accented on second syllable) (August 16, 1898 – June 8, 1971), was a playwright, editor, author, and founder of Rodale, Inc.

He was one of the first advocates of a return to sustainable agriculture and organic farming in the United States. He founded a publishing empire, founded several magazines, and published many books—his own and those of others—on health. He also
More about J.I. Rodale

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99