Start by marking “Raavi Paar: And Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Raavi Paar: And Other Stories

Raavi Paar: And Other Stories

Raavi Paar is a collection of short stories which do not follow a particular theme but touch upon different human emotions. The stories in this book have their roots in the Indian culture but express universal emotions that are experienced across the boundaries of regions, caste, and creed. Varied emotions of love, heartbreak, aloofness, anxiety, fear, and longing are expr ...more
Published January 1st 2006 (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Raavi Paar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raavi Paar

Start your review of Raavi Paar: And Other Stories
Neha
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Gulzar the name, the storywriter, the songwriter, the movie maker, the director, the poet, the person.. the life.. everything is as lyrical and melodious that you can't decide which image is the best... his short stories so simple yet so moving... for me Gulzar is the living Manto..so different but yet so similar...

I had been wanting to read his book for a long time and reading it has just made me want more of him.. if you like short stories and you are a fan of Manto, Chugtai or any Indian auth
Pratibha Suku
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who enjoys Hindi literature
गुलज़ार साहब ने बहुत ही खूबसूरत रचना है
समाज के अनेको मशलों पर गौर फ़रमाया गया है .

मेरी पसंदीदा कहानियाँ निम्न हैं
"खौफ़" 1993 मुम्बई में हुए साम्प्रदायिक हिंसा पर है तो "सनसेट बुलवार्ड " में एक प्रौढा अभिनेत्री पर केन्द्रित है.
राविपर बॅटवारे की एक कहानी मे उन्होंने दर्शाया है की कैसे खौफ के कारण इंसान अपने होश खो बैठा था और हिसाब किताब में दहेज़ प्रथा के नए रूप को दर्शाया है

मर्द में दिखाया गया है की कैसे कभी पति तो कभी बेटा बन कर वह एक औरत का सोशन करता है तो जीना यहाँ में एक विकलांग के मन के
Sneh Pradhan
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A masterful collection .... each story a gem in itself !
Raksha Bhat
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such elegant prose with depth in characters, the stories make the reader get lost in those times. The narration is quite interesting and is reflective of how we, as a country and society are changing, while in reality we live in the same old world. Gulzar is a master of words. His poetic element is what makes such writing memorable and beautiful. It makes one contemplate beyond the ordinary existence. I am glad I read this one.
Karthik D.R
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics
Tamilian turning fan of Saheb!

I attended a literature discussion of Gulzar Saheb recently. My friend urged me to get any of Saheb's book autographed by him. I didn't really know how precious it is.

Now, I'm reading his writing with a pride (having a book autographed by him!).

His stories makes you to travel with the time, and with the situation. This book is no exception. I'm not an eligible one to review his writing, the best I could do is suggest you to read this book.
Prakruti Maniar
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read it right before Norwegian Wood and then lost the faculty to view it separately. Read about their combined effect and my thoughts here: https://medium.com/the-unread-bookshe...
Tulika
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
What's not to like in a book by Gulzar? This was is an eclectic collection of short stories each delightful in a different way. Some bring home the horror of partition while some make you smile. They all capture life in all its simplicity and all its shades over the past decades.

A definite must-read.
Anubhav
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Raavi Paar and Dhuan, both short tragic stories based during the Partition, and Kagaz Ki Topi, of unrequited - in a uniquely Indian way - love are amazing!!
Anamika
May 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I've read this text in Hindi, and it was almost like going back home. Well, for people who've explored and enjoyed Gulzar's poetry, this might come as a pleasant surprise, but might succumb to the pressure of the reader's expectations. His tales about love, life, loss, and circumstances carry the optimum dose of profundity that his poetry offers, but somewhere miss the depth of analogies, or imagery that one is so used to. I personally preferred tales such as "Seema", "Bimalda", "Bantwara", and ...more
Pankaj
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I knew Gulzar has a way with words when it comes to poetry but this is the first prose that I've read that's been written by him. The stories in Raavi Paar are derived from day to day life in India from a bygone era. Stories related to partition really bring out the suffering of that time without ever trivializing it.
I'm sure everyone will find something to relate to in this book. The prose is simple and effective. Gulzar has a way with narrative that few possess.

Highly recommended!
Faiza Sattar
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, short-stories
What a brilliant compilation of short stories, written by the genius Gulzar himself! Highly recommended to lovers of storytelling around the world.
Indu Meenakshi
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Name of the Book: Gulzar’s - Raavi Paar and
Other Stories

As said before, I went in search for more soulful reads after my previous venture of #urdustories and I got to lay my hands in this yet another wonderful collection of stories by Gulzar.
There are totally 25 stories which gives you 25 varied emotions or even more, I promise. Each and every story comes around 3-4 pages except for two or three which makes it a easy fast read. But I warn,because most of the tales leave a deep void/scar in
Tushar Kumar
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
🍂 This book is the first translation of Gulzar's urdu stories to hindi. The book is a collection of 18 short stories, each telling a heart touching tale. Anyone who is familiar with saheb's work knows very well that how easily he can move one's emotions just by few words. .
🍂Few of the stories has social message as well for issues which most of us struggle from at some point in our life. How judgment and valid reasons gets downplayed when feelings take control. Truly nostalgic and heart piercing
Anupama Sarkar
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
कुल मिलाकर 27 छोटी छोटी कहानियां हैं इस किताब में.. बंटवारे की आंच से लेकर मुंबई के दंगों की दहशत तक… 1947 के सम्पूर्ण से लेकर बिमल दा के गुलज़ार तक… और सनसेट बुलवर्ड की अधेड़ अभिनेत्री चारूलता से लेकर, दिलीप कुमार के पीछे पागल अल्हड़ गुड्डो तक… हर किरदार जुदा, हर फलसफा महीन बुना हुआ.. विविधता की कोई कमी नहीं इस किताब में…

Read more at http://scribblesofsoul.com/ravi-paar-...
Rahul
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gulzar's prose is as beautiful as his poetry. ...more
Likesh M V
मार्मिक कहानियाँ जो दिल को छू जाती हैं
ख़ास कर 'रावी पार'
Gunjan Deshpande
Dec 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Mr Gulzar this time comes with stories accounting the horrors of partition. These are short heartwarming stories, with subtle euphemism.
Soumya Jain
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typical Gulzar. Probably not as impactful in English, but still a very good read.
Shashank J
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gritty, emotional but also great.
Arpita
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully written heart touching book. Life is experienced, explored and explained, with unbelievable impact and beauty in each and every story.
Mayank Singh
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"पिछले पचास सालो में बड़ी तबदीली आयी है उरदू अफ़साने में। हमारी कहानी ने इन पचास सालो में इतनी तरककी की है क़ि हम उसे दुनिया के किसी भी..."
घसीटा ने पाँव की चमकती हुयी "खेडिया" आगे करते हुए कहा-
" किसकी कहानी की बात कर रहे हो भाई साहब? जिनकी कहानी लिखते हो, वो तो वही पड़े है। मैं अपने बाप की जगह बैठा हूँ। और आप भाई साहब की 'बैठक' चला रहे हो, तरककी कौन सी कहानी ने कर ली?"
Ankita
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hindi
Sheer genius could be an understatement when it comes to describing Gulzar and his works.I have always been a fan of his songs and movies and this book had me spell bound yet again.
My favourite stories would be "Raavi Paar" and "Khauff".I certainly agree with the other reviewers ,they had a feel of Manto and Amrita Pritam to them.
While reading the story "Daliya" i realised this one had been used in the very famous movie "Rudaali". The other ones that i enjoyed reading were "Dhuaan", "Mard", "
Sharmilee Patel
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"पिछले पचास सालो में बड़ी तब्दीली आयी है उर्दू अफ़साने में। हमारी कहानी ने इन पचास सालो में इतनी तरक्की की है क़ि हम उसे दुनिया के किसी भी..."
घसीटा ने पाँव की चमकती हुयी "खेडिया" आगे करते हुए कहा-
" किसकी कहानी की बात कर रहे हो भाई साहब? जिनकी कहानी लिखते हो, वो तो वही पड़े है। मैं अपने बाप की जगह बैठा हूँ। और आप भाई साहब की 'बैठक' चला रहे हो, तरक्की कौन सी कहानी ने कर ली?"

very emotional stories. its a dish you would like to enjoy slowly by reading only one story at time. Gulzar's style of givin
Awinder
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! No one, other than Gulzar ji himself, can describe his excellence. There are a lot of short stories concerning varied themes and backgrounds that every person of any literary taste will enjoy. It is a must-read!
Devina
Mar 02, 2014 added it
thumps up
Manish
Jun 12, 2013 marked it as to-read
Good
Anindya
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stories that will melt your heart and illuminate your figments of imagination.
Nidhi Gupta
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Brilliant! Absolutely delightful vignettes about everyday Indian life, soon vanishing. Highly recommend it.

• I Too Had a Love Story
  • Pingalavel
  • Life and Death in Shanghai
  • व्यक्ती आणि वल्ली
  • In the Company of a Poet: Gulzar in Conversation with Nasreen Munni Kabir
  • Supreme Whispers: Conversations with Judges of the Supreme Court of India 1980-89
  • Poonachi: Or the Story of a Black Goat
  • Star Wars #2
ग़ुलज़ार नाम से प्रसिद्ध सम्पूर्ण सिंह कालरा (जन्म-१८ अगस्त १९३६)[1] हिन्दी फिल्मों के एक प्रसिद्ध गीतकार हैं। इसके अतिरिक्त वे एक कवि, पटकथा लेखक, फ़िल्म निर्देशक तथा नाटककार हैं। उनकी रचनाए मुख्यतः हिन्दी, उर्दू तथा पंजाबी में हैं, परन्तु ब्रज भाषा, खङी बोली, मारवाड़ी और हरियाणवी में भी इन्होने रचनाये की। गुलजार को वर्ष २००२ में सहित्य अकादमी पुरस्कार और वर्ष २००४ में भारत सरकार द्वारा दिया जाने ...more