Start by marking “In Our Time” as Want to Read:
In Our Time

In Our Time

THIS COLLECTION OF SHORT STORIES AND VIGNETTES MARKED ERNEST HEMINGWAY'S AMERICAN DEBUT AND MADE HIM FAMOUS
When In Our Time was published in 1925, it was praised by Ford Madox Ford, John Dos Passos, and F. Scott Fitzgerald for its simple and precise use of language to convey a wide range of complex emotions, and it earned Hemingway a place beside Sherwood Anderson and Ge
Published July 2002 by Scribner (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about In Our Time, please sign up.

Steven Godin
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hot on the heels of reading 'The Sun Also Rises' & 'A Moveable Feast' (loved them both), I couldn't resist trying some of his short fiction. I had read the odd Hemingway short-story before, but this my first collection, and I wasn't disappointed. Basically this is the book that thrust Hem into the limelight, and set him on a path to write some of the 20th century's best known novels. His style is again a sparse, simple but efficient prose that works so well, and he has that knack similar to ...more
David Schaafsma
“In the early morning on the lake sitting in the stern of the boat with his father rowing, he felt quite sure he would never die”—Hemingway, “Indian Camp”

“Dear Jesus, please get me out. Christ, please, please, please, Christ. If you only keep me from being killed I'll do anything you say. I believe in you and I'll tell everybody in the world that you are the only thing that matters. Please, please, dear Jesus' The shelling moved further up the line. We went to work on the trench and in the morni
Natalie Monroe
I have a deep, unabiding dislike of Hemingway's style. It's sparse, it's soulless, and reads like it was written by a third-grader who just learned to construct sentences.

Whether you like him or not, have a gifset of Nick Miller trying to be Hemingway:

Jason
Short review on short stories. I would amend those 3 stars down to 2.5 stars.

These short stories are credited with being the turning point for Hemingway, having made him famous. This is why I chose them for my next Hemingway read.

On the stories themselves. Most of them were a bit bland, not a lot happened in them, and they lacked a certain emotion. There were a couple, however, that I enjoyed - The End of Something, Cross-Country Snow were good. Although these two stories were only a few pages
Joshua Rigsby
In Our Time, much like Hemingway's Farewell to Arms, is a meditation on suffering. Between the short stories, half page vignettes illustrate tableaus of violence and death taken from fleeing refugees, the bull rings of Spain, and the collapsing monarchies of Europe.

My favorite linked sections of this book followed Nick Adams, in part because his story is full of intriguing holes, and in part because much that concerns him here is so banal and slow in contrast to the vignettes. One gets the sen
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I am now part of an Ernest Hemingway Short Story book club, I will write reviews of the stories that strike my fancy and add them to the books from whence they came.

Cat in the Rain -- This story represents one of my favourite aspects of Hemingway's work -- his simplicity.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, superfluous in Cat in the Rain. Every word is purposefully placed for its ability to invoke emotion or conjure an image. Reading Cat in the Rain can transport you to another time and pla
Brian
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hemingway's minimalist writing style is polarizing - this isn't news. His sparse sentences, staccato pacing and seemingly adjective free narratives aren't for everybody. But if you like this type of writing, this book of stories is for you.

This is the first time in reading Hemingway that it dawned on my just how much like poetry his writing can be (I'm slow - my GR friends have probably written thesis on this). Here's an example, with line breaks at each period:

He did not want any consequences

He
Lise Petrauskas
Wow. I am surprised by how much I enjoyed this. My favorite stories are the two Big-hearted River stories at the end.

Since I wrote that, I have been trying to understand why this book has such meaning for me and I still don't have words. Hemingway gets me, I think. Or, his getting himself down on paper, the way his characters feel and react to both extreme and mundane circumstances, is fundamental to humanity, so fundamental that it's difficult articulate and seeing any approach to such articula
Anne
I had been going along in my English major career under the assumption that Hemingway just wouldn't be my cup of tea. His reputation, from what I'd heard, was (and still is) one which championed the art of gritty narrative, the bare-bones of a structured plot, and fast-paced, uncensored dialogue. I had read a few of his short stories, and while I acknowledged their strength in minimalism and simplicity, I was never blown away by anything he wrote. Critical enthusiasm for his work was lost on me. ...more
Jenny Napolitano
Any review I write here is going to make me sound stupid. Somehow I left it not really having enjoyed it, but having renewed my appreciation for Hemingway's writing (though not necessarily his skills of positioning stories in a collection - even though I'm still not convinced that's the best word to describe this).
Eric
I wish I’d been assigned this in high school. At 17 I was mad for Lorca, and would have loved Hemingway’s gory sportsman’s sketches—

Inside on a wooden bunk lay a young Indian woman. She had been trying to have her baby for two days. All the old women in the camp had been helping her. The men had moved off up the road to sit in the dark and smoke cut of range of the noise she made. She screamed just as Nick and the two Indians followed his father and Uncle George into the shanty. She lay in the l
Sean
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unlike This Side of Paradise, this was a pretty good start for Hemingway. I wouldn't recommend it to someone looking to get into his work, though. The first few stories were the best ones before it proceeds to get weaker and weaker. The last three held little of my attention. "Indian Camp" I would say was my favorite. But overall much of Hemingway's style is just budding in these texts. He didn't yet know how to say something beautiful and terse. The interludes between chapters were interesting, ...more
Kelly
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Hemingway fan, so it is hard for me to find much fault in his work. I loved these short stories. Some of them really stuck with me. If for nothing else, it should be read just for "The Big-Hearted River." Absolutely brilliant.
Michael
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unjustly-obscure
Hemingway at his most experimental. A fantastic book, written before he was "Hemingway."
Shannon
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Hemingway's technique is beautiful. Even reading without effort, you can get a full sense of the things left unsaid, and closer reading shows extreme efficiency of detail. Also a great choice of scenes.

I'm still giving it two stars because I couldn't work up enthusiasm for much besides the style - I might just be too far from the post-war era, or Hemingway-style manliness, to fully appreciate it. A Farewell to Arms, with a bit more emotional payoff in addition to style, made a much stronger impr
Daniel Villines
Feb 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been my perception that Hemingway was a better novelist than a short story writer. His style seems to require time for the reader’s imagination to fill in the settings of his plots. My previous exposure to his short stories, however, was in the total collection of his short story works. I read through his "complete collection" from cover to cover without any thought as to how there were originally collected or published. As a result, I missed out on the purpose or picture that In Our Time ...more
Mary
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems a little presumptuous to be reviewing classics, but I recently discovered Open University, an IPad App that lets you “attend” university lectures. The class I chose was a literature class at Yale. The books have been awesome even though the lectures put me to sleep. I mean that literally. The professor’s voice is so smoothing that I fall to sleep holding my Ipad.

At any rate, Hemingway’s In Our Time is amazing. The most striking thing about this book is the structure. This book is a coll
Cecilia H.

A short review for a bunch of short stories!

What I disliked: the racism, the looong short stories with no action and the constant manliness/masculinity. And also this damn iceberg theory/technique Hemingway uses. What if he just wrote some of it when he was drunk and then made people think he wrote it with a deeper meaning??? And we're all being fooled... Just a thought! ;) (I simply got very tired of analyzing and interpreting this book in my English class).

What I liked: that some of these stor
Jonfaith
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most of this stunning collection was a reread for me. I borrowed the collected Nick Adams stories 20 years ago and never returned it: sorry Dr. Kennedy. The structure of In Our Time is a marvel. The pacing and economy have been canonized elsewhere.

Having spent most of Friday in the rain, I've been just outside the pale of a cold all weekend. The talons of infirmity appeared so close today. After United's victory at Stamford Bridge I retreated. This collection is a jewel.
Dan Douglas
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't agree with those who try to discredit Hemingway as a mediocre writer. I have talked with and read reviews by these people and I understand their criticisms but their points could apply to any writer. Also, and maybe more importantly, they don't like his false macho affectation. Okayyy. That's fair. But to go so far as to argue that the shouldn't be remembered as a great writer is just plain silly.

Have these people never had a tight-lipped uncle who liked to go fishing?

Or a brother who
Claire
As a Hemingway fan I enjoyed this collection. His simple style where every word is needed gives me real reading pleasure. In his short stories this characteristic is even more noticable and some are really short. At the same time I enjoy his novels.
Not for the people who dislike Hemingway, for the others I’d say: read it! You’ll enjoy it.
Ericka Clouther
A short story collection that is kind of all over the place. I loved "Cat in the Rain," for what I, in my very modern view, saw as an indictment of the husband in the story, though I suspect less modern readers, and maybe Hemingway himself, saw as an indictment of the wife. On the other hand, "Indian Camp" is unsympathetic horror of a short story. Just a mess. The other stories ranged in between the two extremes for me.
Benji
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
“I’ll tell every one in the world that you are the only one that matters.”

Practically everything now said about Ernest Hemingway and his writing has been said before. His prose—sparse, incisive—you will either love or hate. If this precise, no frills style is not for you, the chances of liking Hemingway’s short story collection In Our Time are slim. Thankfully for this reader, exploring these stories was an enjoyable experience.

Today, it becomes hard to remember that before Hemingway nobody wr
Matthew
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Italo Calvino once called Hemingway's writing "violent tourism" and I laughed and dismissed Hemingway along with him.

But it's funny how the right circumstances and the right set of an author's work will change your ideas on them completely.

So if you read this book while it is pouring rain and everyone is asleep and you are polishing off a case of Budweiser it will give you a strange feeling of excitement like you want to get up and run around outside, but you remember it is raining.

You are havin
Jamie
Hemingway always reads, to me, like a man with all the weight of the world on his shoulders, a man who takes things personal, so it makes sense why “The Battler” is my favorite thing here: the brief potential of a man who could shrug off that weight for once, not spend all of his breath trying to conquer it.

Just a funny little vagabond prizefighter, who married his sister and takes a blackjack upside the head when he goes crazy, and just the friend who loves him for this.
Laurie Notaro
He's not my favorite. But I am trying. This collection of short stories on the surface looks like a whole big bunch of nothing. But I have the great opportunity to take a class with a two excellent profs who know Hemingway. So I'm learning. He was just such a bastard. This will give me a good foundation to read The Sun Also Rises again. I hated it in high school. We'll see.
Nicholas Finch
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Third time reading this collection in less than a year. It never gets old. Brilliant.

Fifth time.

Sixth time.
Huma Rashid
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Uh, who says girls don't love Hemingway? *Kanye Shrug* This is one of my favorite books of all time. OF ALL TIME.
Mary
Soldier's Home 4/5
The Revolutionist 3/5
Cat in the Rain 4/5
Sandee
I know this one is credited with bring validity to Hemingway but it reads more Seuss-ian than literary. You know, where Geisel took a bet that he could write a book with only 50 words? Hemingway could have used a few more words to convey.

• Babylon Revisited and Other Stories
  • New Hampshire
  • Papa Hemingway
  • Tales of Henry James
  • Rock Springs
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
“In the early morning on the lake sitting in the stern of the boat with his father rowing, he felt quite sure that he would never die.” 21 likes
“I'm going to stay with you. If you go to jail, we might as well both go.” 16 likes