Start by marking “Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching” as Want to Read:
Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching

Feed My Sheep: A Passionate Plea for Preaching

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  258 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Biblical preaching is nearing extermination in our day. There is "sharing," "suggesting," plenty of storytelling, and lots of preaching to "felt needs." But the authoritative, expositional opening of the Word of God is more rare to find all the time. This book is a plea for preachers to "preach the Word." In the Old Testament God decried the fact that His people were peris ...more
Kindle Edition, Second Edition, 156 pages
Published October 31st 2002 by Reformation Trust Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Feed My Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feed My Sheep

Brian
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preaching
This book was originally written and published in the late 90s by Soli Deo Gloria Publications and then was republished again in 2004 by Ligonier Ministries. The newest publication of the book is the second edition published by Reformation Trust now in an attractive hardback cover. The work consists of eleven chapters, each chapter written by the eleven contributing pastors listed above. The overall theme as indicated by the book's subtitle is "a passionate plea for preaching." The book, then, i ...more
Kyle
Nov 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a series of articles on preaching, and I really enjoyed a few of them, while I found others a bit dry.

I thought the Expository Preaching article was good because it talked about the importance of teaching from the entire Bible and not just the comfort passages that everyone recognizes.

I also enjoyed the Preaching With Authority article because it boldly points out that God's Word hasn't changed even though our society openly accepts many things that are not based on New Testament teachi
Josh Skinner
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review, reformed
I have to admit a few things as I begin writing about this book. I love preaching. I love to hear preaching. I love to read preached sermons. I love to read about preaching: mechanics, theory, necessity, etc. I love preaching.
I also love preachers. I feel greatly indebted to the men who have given their lives to the public proclamation of God’s Word. I love to read their sermons. I love to read their books. I love to learn about them, their lives, and their faith. I just am sincerely blessed by
Jun Gonzales
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me feel so unworthy and guilty of not doing enough expository preaching. Mostly textual like Spurgeon, at times dry exegesis, though striving for precision yet lacking in power. I really enjoyed Dr. Boice's chapter on the foolishness of preaching and his insights on Enoch, and Mcarthur's a reminder to Shepherds, was truly encouraging...
Mathew
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Feed My Sheep is an indispensable resource for preachers. It’s not a homiletic how-to rather it focuses on what preaching should be and what it should accomplish. And it’s written by some of the best preachers and communicators of our generation. You have essays by Ligon Duncan, Al Mohler, James Montgomery Boice, Derek Thomas, Joel Beeke, R. C. Sproul, R. C. Sproul Jr., Sincalir Ferguson, Don Kistler, Eric Alexander, John Piper, and John MacArthur. If you could create a list of more qualified ex ...more
Andrew Murch
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an important book. It is what the subtitle says, "a passionate plea for preaching." Specifically, this is a needed plea for faithful expositional preaching. The book is an edited volume with 11 contributors, men who make up a pantheon of modern-day expositional preaching giants. Although known for their phenomenal ministries, the humility and passion they speak to this subject with is a clarion call to faithfully preach God's word.

Subjects of the chapters cover the full gamut of relevan
Gil Bradshaw
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a series of essays by famous Christian pastors about passionate preaching. I dabble. I teach Sunday School and Priesthood lessons on Sunday in my local Mormon congregations and I've never really picked up too many books about preaching even though it is a weekly occurrence for me.

The big takeaway for me on this book was the fact that many of these pastors are dealing with similar problems that our own Mormon congregation is. It was refreshing to hear some of their points of view on
Brett
Feb 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of articles on preaching from some of the greatest authorities on the subject. Mohler, MacArthur, Piper, Ferguson, Boice, Sproul etc...
This book is not however, the standard plea for 'we need more expository preaching' over & over. That is one of the articles, but there is much more focus on the task of preaching... why homelitics is so important, the teaching preacher, preaching to the mind, to the heart, to suffering people, preaching with authority, preaching in evangelism a
Larry Splain
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Does God want You to be a preacher?

I loved this book. I am a clay pot and I know it. I know I am to serve Jesus Christ but have not known for sure, how I am to serve Him. I've been thinking about ministry but just was not sure if I could be good enough. This book made me realise that I am worthy of just such a calling. I need to be exercised into the ministry slowly - but I am sure that before I die I will pass Jesus Christ onward to somebody else who will make great use of the information.

Great
Mark
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Might be the best book on preaching that I've ever read. It is inspirational rather than technical, and inspire it does. There are eleven different authors, but one theme runs throughout: Preach the Word. The book's subtitle is entirely accurate; this IS a passionate plea for preaching, and it carries a sense of urgency for the task. I will keep this one on a shelf nearby to peruse during those times when a pastor's heart may start to grow faint.
John Licata
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. For a lay person this was great to provide a perspective on preaching and the thinking and biblical perspectives behind it. I found most of the authors to be very insightful. Some came from a deep rooting in the scripture. Some relied on the Word backed by the examples from reformers. One or two shared much from experience and personal perspective. All in all definitely worthwhile.
Mark A Powell
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by preachers for preachers, this instructive work details the value of proclaiming God’s Word -- as it is written -- without ceding to the temptation to modernize or minimize what it says. It also addresses what makes preaching effective and what must be avoided. As with any compilation, some chapters are more helpful than others, but the whole volume remains a benefit to those called to preach (or to those wondering what biblical preaching entails).
Matt Crawford
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a roundtable discussion, or better yet since many of the contributing authors are Ligonier teaching fellows how about the Q and A session at a l Ligonier conference. I'm asking the question was how do you make sure you are preaching is effective. Without giving spoilers that is the theme of this book and a point that each of the contributing authors makes sure to harp on.
Peter N.
Overall a good book to renew one's vision for preaching. I did not think it was great. Some essays I found really good. (D. Thomas, both Sproul Sr. and Jr. and Piper) Most were just average. I was probably not as excited after reading the book because they are trying to convince pastors of the value of expository preaching. I am already whole-heartedly committed to it.
YK Hwang
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last two article from John Piper and John MacArthur was my favorate, it literally re-ignites my heart and made me kneel before God rethinking my calling for His ministry... One day I would say this book helped me a lot while I was in one of my darkest hours.
Michael Locklear
A great book for any pastor to gain encouragement and understanding in leading their flock. I especially enjoyed various chapters, such as "The Primacy of Preaching" by Dr. Mohler, Jr. and "Expository Preaching" by Derek Thomas.
Christopher
Some of the essays in this book were rad, some were not bad, others were a tad bad. This is one of those inspirational books that can help get you fired up to preach and give some helpful pointers along the way.
Wade
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
A very good book on preaching with a different author (all very solid authors) contributing to each chapter.
John Yelverton
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely amazing book that should be read by every man seeking to enter the ministry.
David Varney
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preaching
A mixture if some helpful essays and some that were quite dry. Not bad.
Jared Lovell
Good book. Simple, yet challenging. Emphasizes the importance and centrality of preaching in worship. Valuable for pastors and laymen alike.
Joseph McBee
Take some of the best preachers today and ask them to write about preaching. That's how you make a good book on preaching.
Marshall Walter
A couple really good chapters...the rest was alright.
Sushant
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book about expository preaching. Recommended for those who are interested in preaching or pastoral ministry.
Michael Kidd
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book on my shelf for some time. I've read enough quotes from it to feel like I've read it already. It's been continuously recommended. It did not disappoint.
Jacob Aitken
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will warm the soul
Phil
Good read for pastors.
Sam Murrell
This is a nice collection of readable chapters that can be read in any other. Each chapter stands alone and is a welcomed addition to any preachers library.
David Zimmerman
  • Welcome to a Reformed Church: A Guide for Pilgrims
  • Preaching and Preachers
  • The Supremacy of God in Preaching
  • By Grace Alone: How the Grace of God Amazes Me
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Preaching Christ in All of Scripture
  • Preaching the Cross
  • Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today
  • Preaching for God's Glory
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • Reverberation: How God's Word Brings Light, Freedom, and Action to His People
  • Holy Subversion: Allegiance to Christ in an Age of Rivals
  • The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World
Dr. R. Albert Mohler Jr. serves as president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary - the flagship school of the Southern Baptist Convention and one of the largest seminaries in the world.

Dr. Mohler has been recognized by such influential publications as Time and Christianity Today as a leader among American evangelicals. In fact, Time.com called him the “reigning intellectual of the evangel
More about R. Albert Mohler Jr....
“But rarely do you hear a church described, first and foremost, by the character, power, and content of its preaching. This is because few preachers today are true servants of the Word.” 1 likes
“When the minister of the gospel faces the Lord God as judge, there will be many questions addressed to him. There will be many standards of accountability. There will be many criteria of judgment. But in the end, the most essential criterion of judgment for the minister of God is, "Did you preach the Word? Did you fully carry out the ministry of the Word? In season and out of season, was the priority of your ministry the preaching of the Word?” 0 likes