Start by marking “Asylum (Blackstone Chronicles, #6)” as Want to Read:
Asylum (Blackstone Chronicles, #6)

Asylum

(Blackstone Chronicles #6)

Editor Oliver Metcalf has written a provocative article on the Asylum that implies there may be a curse on the town. The community is outraged, charging him with inflaming hysteria. More urgent is the mysterious disappearance of Rebecca Morrison. As Blackstone rallies to find the missing woman, a mysterious package arrives on Harvey Connally’s front porch. The contents hol ...more
Mass Market Paperback, First Edition, 97 pages
Published June 3rd 1997 by Fawcett (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Asylum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asylum

Raimondo
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2019
Well that was unexpected.

The first four books were unflinchingly vicious, redolent of insanity and death. They were gripping and thrilling, proceeding straight to the action with nary a pause for breath. All beef, zero fat.

The fifth was more or less the same. Though it was evidently more muted, the consequences of the events were still horrifying enough.

This one, the final book in the series, was sadly underwhelming. It didn't feel as taut and vibrant as the other novellas though in some scenes
CasualDebris
Jul 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
From Casual Debris.

And the hexalogy closes with a whimper. The final book of Saul's Blackstone Chronicles completes the serialized work as expected, since throughout the series there has been only one logical suspect behind the distribution of the asylum artifacts. I did not mind the explanation and can even forgive the sickeningly overt sentimental closure as it is in keeping with the rest of the text, but there is an immense flaw in this final entry that I cannot overlook.

The revelatory explan
Alisha
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this small horror series. Had just the right crazy, suspense, and horror.
Mcf1nder_sk
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I finally completed reading the Blackstone Chronicles by John Saul. Holy crap! That was a great serial!

Overlooking the quaint little town of Blackstone sits an abandoned mental asylum. Relics of the horrors that occurred within its walls are mysteriously given to six of the town's residents, whose families all had ties to the asylum. These gifts will push the town to the brink of madness, and some people over the edge into the abyss.

I have been a Saul fan for over 20 years, and this may well be
Cathy
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, this series was good. The ending of Asylum left quite a bit to be desired IMHO because it was just like, "Ehhhh...we'll let that slide." The premise of the story line was spot on though, I'll say. I really liked the idea of how things came to be.
Lana Hart
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic ending to the series. Some have complained it wasn't "big" enough, but this is a small town thriller... not a Michael Bay film.

In "Asylum," you finally fully understand Oliver's background and what has been driving the villain to commit such awful deeds. The reality of this is more disgusting and terrifying than any other element of the last five books put together, and I had a visceral reaction to the big reveal. What makes it so much more impactful for me is that Oliver's p
Amy
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror

Oliver Metcalf, editor of 'The Blackstone Chronicle,' the town's weekly newspaper, has written of the mysterious deaths that have occurred in Blackstone over the last six months, implying that there may be a curse on the town. He is terrified of the old Asylum and gets terrible headaches every time he goes near it. Did something happen to him there when he was a young boy, something so horrible he blocked it from his memory? His uncle, Harvey Connally, received a familiar gift that may help him
Dharia Scarab
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Finished the series since I already bought it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read
Barbara
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror, own
Hmmm...not the ending I expected, nor was it realistic enough to be one I might have envisioned. Instead of tying up loose ends and perhaps leaving a few well chosen ones to the imagination and a potential sequel, this series seemed to be pulled and tugged to an end through contrivance and artifice. But having enjoyed the series up to this point, loving both this format and the other John Saul books I've read, I gave it a generous three stars. Overall, I would recommend the Blackstone books to t ...more
Athena
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I guess I expected big things with this series because when I finished Asylum I was disappointed. The first few books were good but then they became predictable, gory, yet predictable. I found the death of Germaine Wagner, the librarian, to be very disturbing. I feel as though the last story was rushed. I wasn't that surprised to find who the gift-giving creeper was. It just seemed as though there was too much information crammed into 100 or so pages. I was confusing the Connelly's with each oth ...more
Amy Phelps
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Write a review...after reading all 6 of these books- i know the author thinks he's ties everything up nice and neat but i don't. i think the ending was pathetic, it was a wimpy ending. instead of actually coming up with an ending he found an easy way out. of course this ending also leaves room in case he wants to write more books for this series but i don't think thats going to happen i thik he was tired of writing them and instead of cleaning things up and tying off loose ends he preferred to l ...more
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I have to admit I was surprised at the ending a little and the revelation - it was a fitting finale to the serialized story. By the time the 6th book was being read, I was done with the series and eager for it to be done. Not a bad series but a little choppy. The stories were interesting in some ways, too cheap in others.
Kate
May 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
The ending was a bit disappointing, but at the end of the day I enjoyed reading the book in serial form. I really enjoyed John Saul books as a kid, but as an adult I have somewhat outgrown his style of writing. I know you can buy all 6 books in one, but if you can, get them separately, I think it adds a bit to the series to have them in individual books.
Joyce
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I finally finished the last book in The Blackstone Chronicles. I don't know why it wasn't posted as a book I was reading. I did inter it. I found at the end, the sins of the fathers. It was interesting.
Laura KJ
Jan 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
With a predictable, infuriating ending that felt far too easy and allows blame to be shifted out of sheer schmaltz, I did not enjoy the final installment. I guessed this ending in book one and just hoped I was wrong. Unfortunately, a poor ending makes me not want to recommend the entire series.
Mandi
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Had high hope but failed miserably. Ending felt rushed
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just love the series and wish authors could release small episodes out like this today.
Bob
Feb 04, 2008 rated it liked it
A little disappointing once the pieces start coming together.
Deborah
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Least favorite of the six, largely due to the horror visited upon children!
Allie
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Disappointed at the end
Hope Willingham
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not to sure I liked the ending. It left way to many questions unanswered. Now on to reading a few Amish stories.
Nicole
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I found the wrap-up disappointing and I was tired of the formula by the end. Maybe serial novels need to be spaced out instead of read in short succession so you don't get bored with them.
Johanna

• Phantom
  • Starers
  • Eat the Dark
  • Mortified 2: Love is a Battlefield
  • Mischief (Harrow House, #2)
  • Sacrifice
  • Haunted
  • The Darkling
  • The White People and Other Stories (The Best Weird Tales of Arthur Machen #2)
  • His Father's Son
  • The Star Group
  • Fruiting Bodies and Other Fungi
  • Hell House: Other TRUE Hauntings from Around the World
  • Savage
  • Will Storr vs. The Supernatural: One Man's Search for the Truth About Ghosts
  • The Closer
  • Dance of the Damned
John Saul grew up in Whittier California where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he decided the best thing for a college dropout to

Blackstone Chronicles (6 books)
  • An Eye for an Eye: The Doll (Blackstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Twist of Fate: The Locket (The Blackstone Chronicles, #2)
  • Ashes to Ashes:  The Dragon's Flame (Blackstone Chronicles, #3)
  • In the Shadow of Evil: The Handkerchief (Blackstone Chronicles, #4)
  • Day of Reckoning: The Stereoscope (Blackstone Chronicles, #5)