Start by marking “Seen the Glory: A Novel of the Battle of Gettysburg” as Want to Read:
Seen the Glory: A Novel of the Battle of Gettysburg

Seen the Glory: A Novel of the Battle of Gettysburg

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
John Hough’s superbly readable historical novel, the revealing coming-of-age story of two young brothers fighting in the civil War, evokes the hardships and camaraderie of ordinary soldiers and civilians set against the bloody drama of the battle of Gettysburg.

• Brilliant characters: raised by their abolitionist father on martha’s Vineyard, eighteen-year-old Luke and six

Published June 30th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Seen the Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seen the Glory

Nolan
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nls-audio
On November 19, we commemorate the anniversary of President Lincoln’s address at the Gettysburg cemetery. I’ve been to that place on at least three occasions, and its solemn sacred nature calls to all but the most flippant and jaded.

As the book begins, the reader meets the Chandler brothers—Thomas and Luke. Their dad is a doctor on Martha’s Vineyard, and the family believes in abolition. In their employ is a woman with Cape Verde heritage. She is free born, but she faces all manner of horror and
Dawn
Jul 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, historical
I'm conflicted on this book. It was very polarizing for me. I knew it would be sad. You don't pick up a book centered on the Battle of Gettysburg -- the most lethal battle ever fought on American soil -- without already knowing what you'll read is going to be hard. There were really only two characters I actually liked, Rose and Elisha, but I liked them so much. The parts of the book that focused on Rose were the parts I read the quickest. Her character was so fully developed, despite so little ...more
Paul Pessolano
Feb 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Seen the Glory" is a fictional account of the Battle of Gettysburg. Actually the Battle of Gettysburg is really a small portion of this book.

The reader will be treated to a beuatiful story that begins in Martha's Vineyard.

Luke and Thomas Chandler are brothers and the sons of the well known Doctor Chandler. Their nergo housekeeper, Rose, is taking care of the family since their mother's death. Headstrong and an abolitionist, Rose is loved by all three members of the household.

When the war has t
April Helms
Nov 14, 2010 rated it liked it
his historical fiction story tells three tales in one. One thread covers Luke Chandler and his younger brother Thomas, as they enlist in the Union army during the Civil War and prepare to do battle, culminating at Gettysburg. One follows the lives of those they left back home, mainly their father and their black servant Rose, who is more like a family member. A third thread follows various individuals who live in Gettysburg (the connection to the main threads doesn't come up until the very end). ...more
S.W. Gordon
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
With an invisible hand, John Hough Jr. magically paints a touching story of brotherhood, friendship and love onto the the bloodied fabric of the Civil War. I got so caught up in the drama, I couldn't see the brushstrokes that created this masterpiece, but I'll get out my magnifying glass and give it a second look. I enjoyed the various POV shifts which enabled the author to thoroughly investigate his subject matter in an objective way. I was not put off by the temporal shifts of the plot line (f ...more
Mormonhermitmom
Mar 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
I have no idea how many books in the United States revolve around the Civil War, but it must be in the tens of thousands by now. How many movies? How many t.v. mini-series? I almost didn't want to read this one. Once I read it, I wished I hadn't.

The battle gore I suppose I expected. I even expected to read about soldiers sneaking off to visit prostitutes. I expected to witness one of the two Chandler brothers to die at the battle. I anticipated the ambivalent feelings of other characters about w
Professor
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: clams, book-program
Every summer I'm tasked with reading books that are under consideration for the book program my library runs in the spring semester. Although I joke around about how it forces me to read "book club" books that I'd never read on my own, I do appreciate being forced to give books a chance that I wouldn't otherwise. Seen the Glory is on the list this year and at first it seemed like it was a no-brainer that I'd like it: a Civil War novel revolving around brothers from Martha's Vineyard. If it weren ...more
Robyn
Jun 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
The premise was promising--two abolitionist brothers from Martha's Vineyard join the Union army and see their first battle at Gettysburg. However, Hough intersperses the story of the brothers with another story, using italicized text to indicate that it's a different narrative thread. I hate that! Tell a single story or clearly connect the two...and don't use italicized text. It's hard to read and frankly annoying!

As a history bluff, I diligently plowed my way through the tale, only to discover
Diane Moyle
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story is about two brothers and their friend and their part in the Civil War. They were part of the Twentieth Massachusetts and it follows them through the Battle of Gettysburg. It is historical fiction.

It tells the story of how their lives were shaped and why each of them fought in the war. It culminates at the copse of trees at Gettysburg and each of their roles in the battle.

I did enjoy the story. I found it slightly tedious until the boys got to Gettysburg but then I didn’t want to put
Paula Hebert
seen the glory follows two brothers, ages 18 and 16, from marthas vineyard, as they join the union army and go into their first battle at gettysburg. raised as abololitionists and with a young negro woman living in their home as part of the family, they have a unique perspective on the war. the book does a very good job of bringing you into the army experience, marching, camping, the food and lack of hygiene, and the bonding of young men who, in any other situation, would have no reason to speak ...more
Barbara
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story about Gettysburg, following two brothers from Martha's Vineyard as they enlist, march and finally fight. Rich with details that I have not encountered in other books or Ken Burns' series. Really puts you into the enlisted man's shoes (no rights or lefts, all made to same pattern, by the way).
Liza Gilbert
Aug 05, 2009 rated it did not like it
I read the first five chapters of this brother story and stopped. The writing is fine, but the pacing is so unbelievably slow. You wouldn't think from the title that it would be a boring story about the Civil War, but by the start of chapter six the author is still bouncing between the "present" and flashbacks, there has been no action, and no mention yet of Gettysburg.
Burt
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Not what I expected. As a true Gettysburg buff, I think that the flyleaf indication that this was somehow comparable to Michael Shaara's "The Killer Angels," albeit from the basic front line perspective, is way off base. It was just an okay yarn presented in just an okay manner.
Susan
Oct 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you want a really good Civil War story, this is it. Told from the POV of ordinary foot soldiers, the reader is transported into the field. Two Vineyard brothers and their boyhood pal go to war as boys and become men.
Not to be missed.
Robert Dugoni
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If you want to read a really good writer, pick up John Hough Jr. The guy can flat out write and this is a great novel, well researched and marvelous character development. You won't be disappointed. It is thought provoking and entertaining, a tough combo, but he pulls it off well.
Chris
Sep 03, 2009 rated it liked it
More like a 3.4. Think Jim steered me wrong here.
Sep 07, 2012 added it
Haunting......
Matt Schoettle
Jan 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was pretty stupid. The author was obsessed with the soldiers going to the bathroom. The Killer Angels it wasn't and I was a little offended that the publishers tried to compare it to that.
Jill
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
meh

Rating: 2.5/5
Brian
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great story and well written. I think it would make a very good movie.
Paige
Jan 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ww2
Thoughtful, well-developed characters, vivid battle scenes - I liked it.
Nicole
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Terribly depressing, but with the topic, not much else could be expected. You really feel like you're there, and you see things from multiple perspectives...
Michelle
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Broken cover image 2 20 Aug 16, 2016 02:25PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Cover Image 6 29 Jul 28, 2016 07:00AM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Count 2 13 Jul 26, 2016 05:16PM
John Hough, Jr. grew up in Falmouth, Massachusetts and now lives on Martha’s Vineyard. He is a graduate of Haverford College, a former VISTA volunteer, speech writer for Senator Charles Mathias of Maryland, and assistant to James Reston at the Washington Bureau of the New York Times. His grandfather and his father edited the Falmouth Enterprise and his great-uncle was for many years the editor of ...more
More about John Hough Jr....