Start by marking “Jingo (Discworld, #21)” as Want to Read:
Jingo (Discworld, #21)

Jingo

(Discworld #21)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  50,685 ratings  ·  1,254 reviews

It isn't much of an island that rises up one moonless night from the depths of the Circle Sea -- just a few square miles of silt and some old ruins. Unfortunately, the historically disputed lump of land called Leshp is once again floating directly between Ankh-Morpork and the city of Al-Khali on the coast of Klatch -- which is spark enough to ignite that glorious

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published November 11th 1997)

·  50,685 ratings  ·  1,254 reviews

Start your review of Jingo (Discworld, #21)
Melindam
‘Why are our people going out there?’ said Mr Boggis of the Thieves’ Guild.
‘Because they are showing a brisk pioneering spirit and seeking wealth and . . . additional wealth in a new land,’ said Lord Vetinari.
‘What’s in it for the Klatchians?’ said Lord Downey.
‘Oh, they’ve gone out there because they are a bunch of unprincipled opportunists always ready to grab something for nothing,’ said Lord Vetinari.

'Wazir comes from Smale, you see,' said Carrot. 'And Mr Goriff comes from Elharib, and the
Lyn
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, why'all" – Edwin Starr

"Gen'rals gathered in their masses,
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction,
Sorcerer of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning,
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind,
Poisoning their brainwashed minds
Oh Lord yeah" – Ozzy

“Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great.” – Yoda

War on the Discworld.

Sir
Manuel Antão
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2001
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

9/11: "Jingo" by Terry Pratchett

Back in the day, I randomly grabbed a copy of one of Pratchett's books as I bulked up my reading list for the next day when my vacation started. I woke up to 9/11 and the news of the four hijacked planes. Shocked and stressed, with the news playing in its continual loop in the background, I started reading "Jingo" - having no idea what the book was about, only that I needed something to distract me. I
Nathan
The Complete Discworld Reread

I am a Granny Weatherwax guy. With no hesitation. You ask me which Pratchett story arc is the best and I will yell to the world how awesome the witches of Lancre are. But I got a dirty secret; it wasn’t always this way to me. Granny is the other woman, the one I left my first love for. Before I fell in love with Granny, I was a city watch man through and through. Reading Jingo again has reminded me exactly why.

It is not the best book of the Discworld series, not by a
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, 2019-shelf
War. War never changes.

Unless you're talking about Discworld.

And then history tends to change based on what you had to eat and whether or not a football is involved. And then, you need to remember the importance of knowing your neighbor's names.

You know... this second time reading this was much more interesting than the first. I simply had a much better time going to war. There's nothing like a bit of stabby stabby or running away from a certain man of the watch dressed up like a woman to get
Ashley
"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Jingo is an anti-war book in the guise of an absurdist farcical satire.

I've been working on getting though the
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Full review to come. I loved this much more the second time round! A fine addition to the Night's Watch.
José
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld
English | Español (más abajo)

This is the Spanish edition of Jingo, I'll try to write a review soon. I haven't had much time lately and I have an awful lot of pending reviews . In short: go read it, every single Terry Pratchett book is worth your money and time; especially this one since it's one of the best books in the Discworld series.

Even though each novel can be read as a standalone book, It's highly recommended to read the previous books of the Guards series to get to know the background
Trish
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bingly-bingly-bingly beep!

It was time for my monthly dose of Discworld!

Once upon a time, I would have sworn that NOTHING could ever surpass one of the witches novels in this series. Today, I have to confess that might no longer be the case.

This 21st novel, initially unbeknownst to me, is one of the novels featuring The Watch. As such, we get Sgt. Colon, Nobby, Angua, Captain Carrot, Detritus (my favourite) and Commander/Lord/Sir Vimes and the rest of their weird bunch as well as the entirety
Kaethe Douglas
June 20, 2013

An ancient island appears halfway between Klatch and Anhk-Porpork and a war is brewing. Vimes and the Watch; the Patrician, Leonardo, Nobbs and Colon; and various other characters are all trying to avert or encourage the war for their various purposes. I just love how Pratchett gets sharper in his satire, more pointed, while retaining the slapstick. In this case, it's an anti-war book that manages to acknowledge why people want to have wars, even while coming up with a clever
Kathleen
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this Discworld "City Watch" sub-series. Love the characters: Commander Sam Vimes, Lord Vetinari, Captain Carrot, the troll Detritus, and the whole multi-species gang of street patrollers.

About the title, from lspace Annotated Pratchett: "By jingo!" is an archaic, jocular oath, of obscure origin, used in Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries. The word -- with derived forms such as 'jingoism' and 'jingoistic' -- became associated with aggressive, militaristic nationalism as a result of a
David Sarkies
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Ankh-Morpork Goes to War
5 April 2016

I have to admit that I'm quite surprised that I have now read 21 of the Discworld books. Okay, that actually isn't much of an effort where I'm concerned considering that for some inexplicable reason I ended ploughing through a large majority of the Xanth books, and also pretty much read every Forgotten Realms book (and a few Dragonlance books) as soon as they hit the shelves. Okay, after doing English Literature at university I must admit that my taste in
Richard
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
6/10

This is the weakest Watch novel I’ve read to date, quite simply the bar has been set too high in the previous novels meaning that a small blip is quite a noticeable drop in quality. Whilst entertaining in parts it became a bit of a chore to finish this one with a very convoluted plot which started tangling itself up the further things progressed and I was losing the threads the longer I read.

The first 1/3 of the novel is the usual top notch quality writing with a mystery being looked into
Wastrel
Con: largely disposable within the context of Discworld and feels a little like an afterthought. Highly patronising, with vague suggestions of some somewhat iffy political assumptions. Inadequate plot (partly I think on purpose).

Pro: very funny. Surprisingly enjoyable. A chance to see the Watch characters in a slightly more normal situation and at a relaxed pace, at least in the first half of the book.

Summary: I always remembered the downsides and thought this was one of the worst Discworld
Pavle
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastika
„Carrot brandished the spear.

‘And I promise you this,’ he shouted, ‘if we succeed, no one will remember. And if we fail, no one will forget!’

Probably one of the worst rallying cries, Vimes thought, since General Pidley’s famous ’Let’s go get our throats cut, boys!’ but it got a huge cheer. And once again he speculated that there was magic going on at some bone-deep level. People followed Carrot out of curiosity.“

Mislim da je Pračet (ili bolje reći Petčet! Ili možda Prapet? Pračpet??) ovde
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I need something comfortable on a Sunday afternoon, I generally pick up a Terry Pratchett novel. I'm not sure why I opted for this one over all the others, since it's not one of my favorites--or maybe that's why; it came across as fresher than one I might have read more recently. In this novel, Pratchett skewers the idea of the noble war and the instinct of mankind to distrust and hate the Other. The appearance of a mysterious island sets Morporkians against Klatchians, despite the fact ...more
Melinda Snodgrass
I came to Terry Pratchett late which meant I have this lovely, long line of books to graze through. Pratchett's Discworld is just our world, but amplified by the presence of witches and wizards, and Death is a character, and a lovely old duffer with a charming, if prickly, granddaughter. Rounding out the cast is the enigmatic ruler of THe Discworld's major city, and the various citizens of that city from thieves and beggars, and bankers, and trying to help keep order over this motley crew is the ...more
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2019.

This entry in the Watch series sees Vimes and Vetinari dealing with the sudden reappearance of the of the lost island of Leshp and the political consequences. In particular, a brewing war with neighboring Klatch. Vimes, as ever, is struggling with the fast-growing Watch and the responsibilities that creates for a very hands-on Watch Commander with everything suffering, including sleep and his relationship with Sybil.

While
YouKneeK
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jingo is the fourth book in the City Watch subseries of Discworld. When I first started this subseries, I didn’t think I was going to like it very much. It’s grown on me, though, and I think it’s now my second favorite after the Witches subseries.

In this book, a disagreement between fishermen in the middle of the sea between Ankh-Morpork and Klatch triggers buried resentments and prejudices among citizens of both places until it appears that war is inevitable. As is common with this subseries,
Marina
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star, favorite, own
I don't think I've ever laughed so much because of a book as I have with this one. Terry Pratchett is a genius of comedic yet poignant writing. Which makes me that much sadder that he passed away.

These books always start off slowly, with one common theme driving a narrative and an important issue and looking it through a ridiculous/comedic glasses in this one it's racism, xenophobia, and overt nationalism.

I would have never thought that the pairing Vetinari, Nobby, and Colon would ever happen
Carly
Excellent Vimes book, and good one to start with. Pratchett's satire of racism, imperialism, and, as the title might suggest, jingoism.
Also features fun with the split in the Trousers of Time, Vimes' struggles with his wife's well-meant gift of a Dis-Organizer, and an enjoyable submarine ride with only Leonardo de Quirm, crazy genius, Vetinari, tyrant, Sgt Colin, complete moron, and Nobby Nobbs, possibly human, as passengers.
Also features Carrot, the unrecognized king of Ankh Morpork, acting
Fiona
I FOUND COMMANDER VIMES IN A CHARITY SHOP *happy dance* - you must know how rare this is. Yoink, HAVING THAT.

------------

From 2012:

It's not very often in the next few months that I'm going to get to read a whole book in a day, so I thought, in for a penny, in for a pound, took a Sunday off and settled down with Commander Vimes and a bar of Dairy Milk.

It was a good choice. Of course it was. I've been recommended 'Jingo' several times, and it's perfectly obvious why: it's exactly my kind of thing.
Andree
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, re-read, 2016
2016 Reread

Bumping this up a star the second time through. Even though I didn't remember a lot of this, despite it being one of my more recently read Discworld novels prior to the great 2016 TP read-through (fulfilling my earlier prediction that I wouldn't remember any of the details for any length of time).

Because this worked for me a lot better the second time around, perhaps because I'm now reading the Discworld in order. I have a better understanding of the dynamics of the Watch, and the
Ms. Smartarse
Ankh Morpork and Klatch have been at peace for a long time now. Klatchians would even send their sons to the prestigious Assassin's Guild Academy, and Ankh Morporkans (sp??) would happily lend money to neighbours. And yet, when a mysterious island emerges from the sea all bets are off. Both sides are set to claim the island of Leshp as their own.

Ancient ruins on a mysterious island

There is an attempt at a diplomatic solution, when Prince Khufurah visits Ankh Morpork to talk with the Patrician. Nevertheless, things end badly for
Bram
The sudden appearance of the lost island of Lesh triggers diplomatic tensions between the Ankh Morporkians and their neighbours from Klatsch and when diplomacy seems to fail spectacularly, the time has come to go to war.

In Jingo, Pratchett takes full advantage of the story to aim his arrows on warfare and the bullshit reasons wars are started in the first place, all set against another mystery for the Guards to solve.

Sadly Angua takes a bit of a backseat thoughout this one, but Pratchett makes
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pratchett, fantasy
A strange foreign country across the sea, a moneyed aristocracy eager to send young men off to war, political operatives using a flimsy pretext to incite nationalist and racist fervor to encourage said war....

Sounds unpleasantly familiar, which is probably why I was drawn to reading this book.

This is one of the Watch books in the Discworld series, and like so many of those books deals with the intersection between law and politics. In this case, a mysterious island surfaces halfway between the
Nicole
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-satire
Meep
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't say I enjoyed this as much as some other Ankh-Morpork yarns. It has Vimes and Vetinari without question owns it, their tangles are always good. Yet the subject here is war. All Pratchett's books are full of clever satire but the humour is generally more dominant. With this book it felt the subject was perhaps too big. There's all the funny lines and clever plays on words that you'd expect, but somehow (for me anyway) the jokes often fall flat, I see them but they don't quite raise a smile. ...more
Karin

A small island floats up from the depths of the Circle Sea, and it isn’t long before there is the threat of war between Ankh-Morpork and the Klatchians which starts as a dispute as to who has the right to this island. The beloved watchmen become embroiled in this dispute as even the leadership of Ankh-Morpork is threatened from within.

Why did I shelve this cultural? Not because it is by a British author, but because in this book there is a great deal of both cultural clashing and
Jul 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Diana Walker
Something wreathed with tentacles rises from the seabed between Klatch and Ankh Morpork, both of which apparently think they need a little more Lovecraftian landscapes in their lives. Someone tries to assassinate a prince in a convoy. War is declared. Meanwhile, Leonardo of Quirm, Ankh-Morpork’s own Menlo Park\Manhattan Project\Little town of Eureka figures out how to build submarines and that if you squish certain types of matter really hard, they go boom. Vetinari takes the submarine and a ...more

• The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • Fałszywy Pieśniarz
  • The Imaginary Corpse
  • Ring the Hill
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
  • The Abbott & Costello Story: Sixty Years of ""who's on First?""
  • Justice League of America Archives, Vol. 7
  • Autobiography Of A One Year Old
  • The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl (Ally's World, #1)
  • Battle Studies
  • An Orc on the Wild Side
  • Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondal: Selected Early Writings
  • A History of Military Thought: From the Enlightenment to the Cold War
  • Ask Me Anything (Some of Reddit's best AMAs from r/IAmA Book 1)
  • The Brave and the Bold Team-Up Archives, Vol. 1
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Krav Maga: An Essential Guide to the Renowned Method--for Fitness and Self-Defense

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels,

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” 12024 likes
“Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.” 736 likes