Start by marking “Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)” as Want to Read:
Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)

Moving Pictures

(Discworld #10)

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  56,933 ratings  ·  1,302 reviews

Discworld's pesky alchemists are up to their old tricks again. This time, they've discovered how to get gold from silver -- the silver screen that is. Hearing the siren call of Holy Wood is one Victor Tugelbend, a would-be wizard turned extra. He can't sing, he can't dance, but he can handle a sword (sort of), and now he wants to be a star. So does Theda Withel, an ambitio

Published (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Moving Pictures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moving Pictures

Lyn
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This most Lovecraftian of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books (this being number TEN and first published in 1990) and first of the Industrial Revolution books.

Moving Pictures, as a title of course makes me think of Rush’s brilliant 1981 album of the same name (Pratchett even makes droll word play just as in Rush’s cover art).

Like so many of Sir Terry’s Discworld adventures, he liberally sprinkles popular and cultural references throughout and besides the ubiquitous Lovecraft allusions, he also tu
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-shelf
This is a re-read and I'm upping my rating because, well, let's face it: this is the start of a brand new chapter in the Discworld and it follows the main style that I have grown to love over all the rest of the books. I was slow to love them at first, but as I continued to see Progress raise its great lumbering head above the trash heaps of Ankh-Morpork (from inside the river, of course,) I can't help but get all bubbly inside.

Memorable moments, and there are a lot of them going well beyond thi
Trish
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Can you hear that? It's the sound of a movie reel.
Discworld has it's first foray into the industrial revolution. Here, in form of the last guardian of an old portal dying without anybody being there to take up his tasks. Not long after, some alchemists in Ankh-Morpork develop clicks, moving pictures painted by enslaved little demons. Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler, the sausage dealer, isn't gonna miss out on a chance to get rich so he becomes the first agent/film studio executive. Soon, first people
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm stingy with my 5 star ratings and considered going with a 4 here, but I really enjoyed this read. It is hilarious. From Trolls who don't want to get "type cast" (I played a troll who runs out and hits him with a rock) to a talking wonder dog who can't get noticed because he's too "scruffy" the cliches of the movies get very skewered. Everyone is headed to (the?)"Holy Wood" to be a star. And of course as we all know, moving pictures or, "the clicks" can effect the fabric of reality.

Sir Terry
Megan Baxter
I wasn't under the weather this time, and again, I enjoyed, but didn't love it! Maybe I should just save the Terry Pratchetts for times when I'm sick. It's a weird quirk. Or maybe it's just that I love the Watch books, but haven't fallen for the rest of the universe quite so hard.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Holy Wood. To pass the time quickly, you just film the clock hands moving fast... but when it's being written by Terry Pratchett why would you want to?

Moving Pictures, Pratchett's Discworld parody of Hollywood, appeals to me a great deal purely as a cinephile and wannabe film maker but as it's Pratchett it's also brilliant and brilliantly funny filled with wicked caricatures and wonderful characters, and of course evil puns aplenty.

In this must-read episode you get to know more about the
Ivan
I love Pratchett and the Discworld but there are few DW books I didn't enjoy as much. Don't get me wrong this is funny book but nothing more than that and I come to expect lot more from Discworld. Simply there there is no that brilliance, sharp wit and excellent quotable dialogues that best of the books in the series seem to have in abundance.
Melki
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who'd want to spend their time moving pictures? Most of them looked alright where they were.

A shady sausage vendor and a student of wizardry head to Holy Wood for fame and fortune in the early days of the Discworld film industry. Hey, kids! Let's put on a show! Sounds like wholesome family entertainment, does it not?

Well...since this sprang from the mind of Terry Pratchett, expect chaos and devastation, licentious landladies, mass hysteria, dogs and cats sharing conversations...

S-o-o-o-o...in a
YouKneeK
This is my least favorite Discworld book so far. I think this is mainly because I didn’t find the story appealing at all. The characters were ok, and I really liked Gaspode the talking dog, but I was bored by the story.

At the beginning of the book, an old man living alone in a remote area called Holy Wood dies. After his death, strange things start happening and some alchemists develop the concept of “moving pictures” which become hugely popular. People travel en masse to Holy Wood (I trust you
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group. This is my second time reading this book, with my first when it first came out. I didn't particularly like it much back then and I didn't realize at the time how many ongoing Discworld characters were introduced here.

In an area near the city of Ankh-Morpork the last follower of an ancient religion dies without passing on his knowledge.

In Ankh-Morpork itself a group of alchemists discover the secret of a nearly-not-explosive new tec
J.G. Keely
I have a lot of friends who swear by Pratchett, but I found him rather dull. I tried reading the first book in the series, but I couldn't finish it. A friend suggested this as one of his better outings, so I bit.

He seems to harp on the most obvious jokes, extending one-note gags into paragraphs, chapters, or even whole books. I found that out of every ten jokes, one would make me laugh and nine would make me groan and roll my eyes. Really not a good rate of return.

His world-building is passable,
Nicole
Mar 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-satire
Matt
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reluctantly rate this first Discworld novel I read 3 stars. I figure there are others in this long series that are better, and probably some are worse. I just have no base for comparison, and I may raise the rating later.

I also can't judge the characters and plot with regards to the other books. Is Cut-me-own-Throat Dibbler a major character in the series? Will I read about Victor and Ginger again? Are the wizards of the Unseen University always the same? (I suppose they are, but I cannot tell
Linda
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is going onto my pile of favorite Discworld books.

I just loved all the movie references, the typical Pratchett humor had me laughing throughout, and Gaspode the Wonder Dog is now one of my favorite characters. Most of the main characters were new, but there were plenty of other characters we met previously that made numerous appearances - The Librarian, trolls, wizards, our friends from The Watch. The ending played tug-of-war with my heart strings, but that just made it all that more excit
Ümit Mutlu
"Yüzlerce insan, gerçekte ne olmak istediğini Holy Wood sayesinde anlıyor," dedi Ginger. "Ve binlercesi, bir saatliğine de olsa kendisini unutma fırsatı buluyor. Bu koca lanet dünya sarsılıyor!”

"İşte bu," dedi Victor. "Beni endişelendiren de bu. Sanki biz araya sıkıştırılmışız gibi. Sen Holy Wood’u kullandığını sanıyorsun ama aslında Holy Wood seni kullanıyor. Bizi. Hepimizi."

Diskdünya'nın tekinsiz birçok büyüsüne bir yenisi ekleniyor ve çorak toprakların kalbinden, tahtalardan ibaret bir kasaba
David Sarkies
May 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Discworld goes to Hollywood
21 May 2013

I must admit that this was not one of my favourite of Pratchett's books but I suspect that if I end up reading it again, the score might go up and the review may change, however we are getting to a point where maybe the best of Pratchett's Discword content is behind him and he is exploring other avenues to try and get a laugh. Okay, Pratchett does more than try to get a laugh, and in a way it is sort of like the Simpsons where Pratchett uses a fantasy world
Mamen B.
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mundodisco, 2018
No es un libro de los más destacables de Mundodisco, por lo menos de los que he leído, pero siempre es un gusto volver a leer a Pratchett y su mundo. En esta ocasión nos adentramos en el mundo de Holywood visto desde el punto de vista del Mundodisco. Mi personaje favorito ha sido Gaspode, el perro maravilla y como siempre Pratchett deja frases para el recuerdo: "En el interior de cada anciano hay un joven preguntándose qué demonios ha pasado". Pronto volveré al Disco con El Segador.
Nathan
Part 10 of the Complete Discworld Reread

Wow, what a slog. When I started this reread I was wondering how a couple of those I had ignored would read a second time around, with “Moving Pictures” being my biggest fear. On this occasion my memory was correct, this may be the weakest Pratchett book until the football one released a few years back.

Now don’t get me wrong, even a bad Pratchett book is worth reading, and this wasn’t a complete waste of time. As per the usual, some of the humor hits hard
Celise

Holy Wood. The alchemists on the Discworld discover the magic of motion pictures! This novel parodies the creation of film, and the developments it went through in the first thirty or so years of its existence. Gone With the Wind fans might find a lot of Easter eggs in he
Leslie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 10th book (in publication order) of the Discworld series was a lot of fun. As a fan of classic movies, I loved all the little parodies of them that occurred throughout the book. The best one may have been the spoof of King Kong when instead of Fay Wray and the giant ape climbing the Empire State building, Pratchett gives us a giant woman and an orangutan (the Librarian) climbing the Tower of Art!
Rob
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: After being pretty s0-so on Eric, I really enjoyed this one a lot. It's right up there with Guards! Guards! I'd say.

Full Review
It's been awhile since my last Discworld read. A lot longer than I had realized. I had been planning to read a book every other month or so. I'm stubbornly determined to read the books in publication order, and I'm finding some of these early books uneven.

That's not the case with this book. I really enjoyed it a lot. It might be that I'm huge movie f
Audrey
I’m not exactly reading these in order. It’s fine. This is a totally fine book to start with in the world of Discworld. I was sad that Death makes only a tiny appearance in this one.

Alchemists have discovered the technology of moving pictures. If you have seen Twoflower’s camera, you have an idea of how it works. The book pokes fun about all the tropes of Hollywood, such as typecasting, advertising, and Lassie. There’s something sinister lurking behind it all, though, and the plot gets really we
Chris
Given a choice between books and movies, many people - myself included - will say that books are always better than movies. "You can use your imagination," we'll say, "drawing on the powers of the human mind to create things that manifestly are not real. You can decide for yourself what the scenes look like and how the characters appear, rather than have some director feed his or her vision over yours."

Despite that, however, we all still love the movies. If you gave me a novelization of Casablan
oguz kaan
*Terry Pratchett ve Diskdünya okumuyorsanız çok şey kaçırdığınızı söylemek istiyorum. İlk kitabı aldığınız ama beğenmediyseniz bile bu tek başına çoğu insanın evinde bulunan kitap sayısından fazla romana sahip olan seride kendinize yakın bulacağınız bir tanesi illa ki vardır. Hadi ama hiç okumadıysanız bir deneyin, okudunuz ama beğenmediyseniz bir şans daha verin.

**Her Diskdünya romanın da olduğu gibi popüler kültüre atıflarla bezenmiş bir Holywood parodisiydi. Şarkı söylemeyen, dans edemeyen,
Alfred Haplo
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
“Moving Pictures” can mean many things. Pictures that move us emotionally, stills changed so fast they are perceived to be in motion, frames of pictures moved location to location, and the title of Pratchett’s tenth DiscWorld book*. One thing for sure is this - Moving Pictures is more than meets the eye.

At a superficial level, Moving Pictures is a satire of Hollywood with its obsession for fame and fortune, where no cliche is left unscripted and every stereotype is a star in the making. Those ga
Ashley
This book was very disappointing. Usually I have no trouble retaining interest in a Terry Pratchett/Discworld novel, but this one I had to force myself to finish.

I think my problem with it is that it's too literal. What I love about Pratchett's writing most of the time is how he manages to mock things scathingly while at the same time making wonderful (and more general) loving comments about humanity. By following such a narrow path as he did in this book (with the straight on Hollywood/Holy Wo
Renée
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This may not be one of the longest Discword novel, but it certainly felt like it. I am reading the books in chronological publishing order if you’d like to see my previous reviews, so I’m rating them against one another by series instead of sub-collection (Wizards,Witches, Night Watch, etc.).

I’ve talked before about why I find Pratchett at his least readable when he’s trying to do a straight satire. Much funnier (to me, at least) are the little send ups of universally human foibles, like the fu
Esmerelda Weatherwax
This is the first book in what is sometimes considered a smaller subseries known as The Industrial Revolution, which also includes the more famous novel, Going Postal, starring Moist.

LOL, It starts off with a Star Trek reference. Bonus points just for that. Through the course of the book there are illusions to Gone with the Wind, King Kong, Snow White and other movies. Terry’s books often have a strong theme to them, and obviously this one is Hollywood.

The alchemists guild have discovered the “m
Kua
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, b-top
Dopo aver letto l'ennesimo libro di Pratchett (ok ok sono solo tre finora, ma aumenteranno!), mi è sorta spontanea una domanda: come diavolo è possibile che nessuno abbia ancora trasformato i suoi libri in film??? Sono praticamente perfetti per essere trasposti sul grande schermo, gli ingredienti ci sono tutti: humor, spessore, trame imprevedibili, colpi di scena... E allora come mai sono uscite solo poche produzioni per la televisione? Questa è una cosa che proprio non mi spiego. Ma passiamo al ...more
Mary Catelli
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, humor
The tenth Discworld. Kinda stand-alone. The Unseen University and the Patrician feature in ways to that connect to earlier stories, but the main characters and their tale stand-alone. Those who read the series will see him forcibly adjusting the world-building because he didn't really like the set-up he had given it at first.

But an old man dies and realizes too late that he had not trained a successor to continue lighting the ritual fire. And things start to happen as not quite real things seep
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Dead Funny: Flying Dutch and Faust Among Equals
  • Knights Of Madness
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)
“The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues.” 1174 likes
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.” 819 likes