Start by marking “Mort (Discworld, #4, Death, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mort (Discworld, #4, Death, #1)

Mort

(Discworld #4)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  224,798 ratings  ·  6,767 reviews
Death comes to us all. When he came to Mort, he offered him a job.

Death is the Grim Reaper of the Discworld, a black-robed skeleton carrying a scythe who must collect a minimum number of souls in order to keep the momentum of dying, well... alive.

He is also fond of cats and endlessly baffled by humanity. Soon Death is yearning to experience what humanity really has to offe
Published May 27th 2009 by Transworld Digital (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Mort, please sign up.
Mike The following image show all Discworld novels and how they relate. As you can see Mort is a separate series from the Rincewind novels (i.e. The Colour…moreThe following image show all Discworld novels and how they relate. As you can see Mort is a separate series from the Rincewind novels (i.e. The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, etc).

·  224,798 ratings  ·  6,767 reviews

Start your review of Mort (Discworld, #4, Death, #1)
Lyn
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Literarily speaking, Sir Terry Pratchett is one of my best friends.

It’s as though I met Terry Pratchett at a party and we hit it off immediately. You like Monty Python, I LOVE Monty Python! Seinfeld, WHAT???, I’ve seen them all “Art Vandelay, nice to meet you.” No way! What about The Big Lebowski? “How’s the smut business, Jackie?” To which he replied, “I wouldn’t know, Dude.”

Ha!

And so it was with me when I read my first Discworld novel, in this case Mort (#4 on the list). Discworld is Terry Pra
Mario the lone bookwolf
It might be even harder to learn from DEATH than by death, but not that final.

What a setting, hard to say something without spoilering it, but the perfect orchestration and personalities of the 3 main protagonists make the humor and dynamic possible and I would like to know how long it took Pratchett to finetune the inner balance to establish the story twists.

Death, what would make more sense than to laugh about and together with the inevitable skinny buddy, but don´t dare to try to manipulate
Matt's Fantasy Book Reviews
Check out my new youtube channel where I show my instant reactions to reading fantasy books seconds after I finish the book.

Death has never been this much fun!

This book was a really enjoyable read for me, and while not quite as good as some of the other early Discworld books, it provides a wonderful foundation for one of the Discworld sub-series and should be a must read for any Discworld fan.

I'm constantly mystified by Terry Pratchett's style. On one hand he writes wonderful comedy that is
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-shelf, fantasy, humor
Being one of the first and the latest of all the Pratchett reads, I'm really surprised just how much I loved this one. I'm upping the star count to a full five just because I think I liked Mort, the character, even better this time around.

DEATH on DISCWORLD. :) Seriously, there's nothing quite like it. Him. The personification. :) He meddles so much with humanity, tries to get drunk, and hires an apprentice. Not all in that order.

Death is the mewling cat at the party of life. :)

The story is a b
Baba
Death decides to hire a little helper, an assitsant... Mort. Mort meets Death's 'daughter' and also his aide an ex-wizard. Death meanwhile begins to truly realise the limitations of his lifestyle and decides to maybe, consider… well... taking some time out and doing something else instead...hmmm, so who do you think he gets to run errands as 'Death'! We get to meet Rincewind, now a librarian, again and other people and places from the previous books in the series. Easily the best in the series s ...more
Paromjit
Many years ago, pre-Goodreads, I remember coming home after being away to be confronted with a burst pipe, water coming through the living room ceiling and ruining many of my books, including my entire Discworld series. When the publisher recently made a number of the fantasy books in the Terry Pratchett series available, I just could not resist rereading some of them. The satire, wit and humour of this series might not be for everyone, but it is for me. Here the wonderful character of Death tak ...more
Adrian
This book was so good that if I knew the way to Sheepridge, I’d be heading there next Hogswatch Eve hoping to be chosen as DEATH’s next apprentice 😳

So how does one critique a Terry Pratchett (Sir) book to someone who has never read one, or in these reviews should we just be brief, succinct and to the point. ?

It was funny and good and I enjoyed it, 5 stars .

No, that doesn't do it justice, even if I have given it 5 stars. This book is laugh out loud, want to read the funny bit to someone (anyone)
Matthias
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
This isn't an easy review to write. This has been my first encounter with the Discworld universe and the many writings of Terry Pratchett, and voicing my opinion on it makes me feel like a blundering fool stumbling into a world that was meant for his younger and perhaps wiser self, a world of which he has only caught a glimpse.

Let's start with kicking in an open door. 'Boy', uh, sorry, 'Mort' is a very funny novel. Death, being a wonderfully serious topic, becomes a great source of laughter and
Trish
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introducing: DEATH

Aw, ain't that smile warming your heart? Or is that the adrenaline rush because you, too, just want to get away from him? Severely misunderstood guy, that fellow.
He's a beekeeper, a gardener, cat-lover, admittedly not very good with colours but his shades of black are very original! And he's active too! Never lazy, our protagonist, always riding around on his faithful mount, Binky.

In case anyone was wondering: the scythe is for us normal mortals, whereas royalty gets the deluxe
Luffy
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending surprised me and it was the one that I really wanted to happen. What can I say about Discworld that has never been said before. Nothing, but I need to tell you to read Mort.

Mort is a cataclysmic story of epic proportions. I thought Death(the Discworld character) was going to bite dust, you know? I really don't love every single book in the series. In fact I started and gave up reading Mort a couple of years ago.

So, why do you need to read Mort? Well, it teaches you how to thread a sto
Charlotte May
"There is no justice. There is only me."

Well this was flipping great!
My first step into Terry Pratchett's Discworld (I know right?!)
This one tells the story of a young man called Mort who becomes Death's apprentice, along with all of the tasks and responsibilities that come with it.
This world is so vivid and imaginative, I was completely transported into this weird and wonderful universe with all its characters, including wizards, princesses, Death's daughter and of course Mort and Death himse
Ahmad Sharabiani
Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1), Terry Pratchett
Mort is a fantasy novel by British writer Terry Pratchett. Published in 1987, it is the fourth Discworld novel and the first to focus on the character Death, who only appeared as a side character in the previous novels. The title is the name of its main character and also a play on words: in French, mort means "death". The French language edition is titled Mortimer.
As a teenager, Mort has a personality and temperament that makes him unsuited to th
William Gwynne
Finally dived into Discworld. I have seen many say that a good starting point in this huge series is Mort, the first of the series 'Death' in the Discworld. And it seems that they were right. Thes was highly entertaining, humorous and engaging stuff.

Seems like this is going to be a series for me!
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
I’m going to be real with you. I struggled through this and I feel so pressured to finish it because of the cult following it has, but I think that’s it for me.

While reading this, it hit me.. it reminds me so much of the classic book The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland, which I HATE by the way. They have nothing to do with each other, the story isn’t even close to being similar but for some reason the writing and characters remind me of it which was the absolute worst part of Alice for me. The
Jokoloyo
I "made a mistake" in my life by reading later works of Discworld (DW) first. By the time I read earliest Discworld stories, the universe feels not fully developed.

Mort is the fourth DW novel, and I see the DW universe, the jokes, and the characters are better developed than the 3 earlier novels (but still not as sophisticated as DW later works). But, there are some good moments: the awkwardness of young people in this novel, and the Death's learning of life.

People including Mort as the first i
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Death is looking for an apprentice to eventually replace him and decides on a young man called Mort. During the course of his training Mort takes a fancy to a young lady. Unfortunately the young lady’s time is up. So that’s that. Or is it? You see, Mort is not so good at following rules…

This is the only Terry Pratchett book I have read so far and it was delightfully whimsical. Sign me up for more please.

YOU ARE HERE SEEKING EMPLOYMENT?
Light dawned on Mort. “You are looking for an apprentice?” he
Forrest
In a previous review of Pratchett's The Color of Magic, I speculated that I might have become jaded since high school. I noted that I enjoyed that book, but it was not as hilarious as I had remembered it, initially. There will be no such danger with Mort, meaning, I probably won't be re-reading it. Again, this one was funny, but not hilarious, and more cutesy than clever.

Still, it has its moments, the best of which, I thought, was the interchange between the Sun Emperor and his Grand Vizier, a g
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I COULD MURDER A CURRY.”

With those simple words Terry Pratchett introduces the complicated fact that on The Disc Death is as much a person as anyone else, only more so.

The fourth Discworld novel is right up there with my favourites, the story of how Death came to take an apprentice and how one gangly, awkward young boy became a strong, confident man is filled with humour and tells the kind of coming of age tale other authors only dream of.

It may not be the best writt
Lena
Apr 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've expected more from the plot, but the character of Death is amazing. He got more appearances here, than in previous books and tired out to be even cooler and more exciting. ...more
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Foremost, this book is hilarious. I mean, all of the Discworld books are very funny, in a very British way, but in Mort I found myself chuckling especially frequently at the dialogue. I wish I had the book in hand at the moment to quote something to support this assertion, but for now I hope you can take my word for it. I don't want to paraphrase from memory because I may not do it proper justice.

I appreciated that the character of Death settled down into the personality and cosmic role that ru
Melindam
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" ... Death must be the loneliest creature in the universe. In the great party of Creation, he was always in the kitchen.”

“Behind him the Master of Ceremonies cleared his throat. His eyes took on a distant, glazed look.

"The Stealer of Souls," he said in the faraway voice of one whose ears aren't hearing what his mouth is saying, “Defeater of Empires, Swallower of Oceans, Thief of Years, The Ultimate Reality, Harvester of Mankind, the—"

ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT. I CAN SEE MYSELF IN.”

SO FUNNY, SO SAD,
Audrey
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this one! I think Death is automatically a favorite character in the Discworld world, and he finally gets his own book. He picks up an apprentice (Mort) to help with the soul-collecting business and takes advantage of the opportunity to try out some popular human pasttimes, such as drinking, gambling, partying, and job hunting. Meanwhile, Mort sort of kind of accidentally-maybe seriously disturbs the fabric of reality.

There are so many funny scenes and lines. The story just flew by. I lo
Calista
I love this book. This is my favorite Discworld book so far. I have read them in order. I like Rincewind and I like the Witches. I love that old characters come into the current story he's telling, but he sticks with the point of view book. Rincewind does who up in this story and Granny Weatherwax is mentioned. I love that.

Death is one of my favorite characters ever in fiction. Death is the best. I also really love Mort. This was a fantastic book. I've been busy and couldn't read as much as I wa
Allison
So Terry Pratchett is definitely witty and clever, and I do enjoy his asides when I forget I'm searching for a story in the midst of it. The thing is, each of the three Discworld books I've completed so far took me some effort to get into in spite of appreciating the humor. Because the characters remain caricatures as the humor takes center stage. And I actually find it kind of boring.

It's not until late in each book that I started to be interested in what was actually happening. And the charact
Rob
Executive Summary: Another great entry in the Discworld series as different from Equal Rites as that book was from the first two.

Full Review
I never expected to marathon the discworld books, but this now makes the third in a row I've read.

This book is the first of the Death books. Death plays a much larger role than he has in the previous books, but for the most part it focuses on his apprentice, Mort.

I found it started a bit slow, and I was pretty indifferent towards Mort. He grew on me by t
Veronique
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stars-4-0, r2017
Discworld Book 4

“Oh. I see. People don't want to see what can't possibly exist.”

Carrying on with my Pratchett education. Although Death appeared in the previous books, this is the one where this rather uncommon character gets more screen time to great effect. I mean it is not every day you see the Grim Reaper hankering for a curry or trying to get drunk and have fun!

Once more, we get a crazy tale of adventure, this time following Mort, gangly, awkward boy, who becomes Death's apprentice. Queue
Stjepan Cobets
When death comes it with his scythe brings the end of life but this time, it came to for his apprentices. His apprentice becomes Mortimer whom everyone calls Mort. Although he is a young man thought it was a great job for him will soon realize that this is not such a simple matter. Apprenticeships at Death is not such an easy task that he expected. The writer and this book make us laugh with silly stories and adventures of Discworld. Very fun book for all fans of weird and funny fantasy world.
April (Aprilius Maximus)

Death is the biggest cinnamon roll to ever exist
Jenny Baker
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2019
Thanks for the buddy read Carl!

This is my first experience with Terry Pratchett and I knew I was going to enjoy it! I love his writing style, humor, and his characters. Each character is eccentric in some way, and their personalities both complement and clash with each other. The story was so off-the-wall that I had no idea what was going to happen next, but that made the reading experience so much more enjoyable. I can see myself picking up one of his novels whenever I’m looking for a good laug
Madeline
Jul 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Directly following Equal Rites with Mort (two of the most popular mini-series within the Discoworld fandom seem to be the Witches and Death) means that it feels like Prachett is really hitting his stride, in terms of fleshing out the mythology of the Disc and creating some delightfully memorable characters.

Like Equal Rites, this installment has a decidedly traditional-sounding fantasy setup: village boy Mort goes to the Disc's equivalent of a Career Fair to try to gain an apprenticeship. Unfort

• Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Terry Pratchett's Hogfather: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Truth
  • Wyrd Sisters: The Play
  • Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (Dirk Gently, #1)
  • Monstrous Regiment
  • The Colour of Magic: Graphic Novel (Discworld, #1)
  • Men at Arms: The Play
  • A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents: The Play
  • The Lost Metal (Mistborn, #7)
  • Legends & Lattes
  • Carpe Jugulum: The Play
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • American Gods (American Gods, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
See top shelves…

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind, #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind, #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches, #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch, #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind, #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)