Start by marking “Regency Buck” as Want to Read:
Regency Buck

Regency Buck

(Alastair-Audley Tetralogy #3)

Miss Judith Worth and her brother are disgusted with their guardian, who seems to want nothing to do with them. But when Miss Taverner begins to move in the highest circles of society, Lord Worth can't help but pay attention...
Published August 1st 2008 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published 1935)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
So I feel the great Georgette Heyer Splurge winding down here ― a woman can only take so much of the constraints of Polite Society before she hares off and immerses herself in gory urban fantasies with kickass heroines ― but at least I'm ending on a high note here.

Judith Tavener, age 20, and her brother Peregrine, aka Perry, age 19, decide to leave the Yorkshire countryside after their father dies, to enjoy the London season with their newly inherited wealth. The only thing standing between Judi
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
4.5 twinkling, sparkling stars!

In my early days on the internet I was excited to find a Georgette Heyer message board. I didn't last long there as most of the posters hated Regency Buck & loved Lady of Quality! While Regency Bucks has it's flaws, my memory of Lady of Quality is (view spoiler)

The message board didn't last long either.

I might as well get the issues I had with the book out of the way first
Wealhtheow
With any other hero, I might consider this the best of Heyer. As it was, I was torn between hating Lord Worth and being swept up in the story.
Judith Taverner and her younger, sillier brother Peregrine have been recently orphaned, and with spirited curiosity they decide to seek out their new guardian, the high-handed Lord Worth. They are quite surprised to learn he is a young, handsome man who is friends with the Crown Prince and the cream of society. With his help, the Taverners are rapidly enfo
Lightreads
The one where our heroine and her silly brother discover, upon their father’s death, that their new guardian is the sardonic Lord Worth. And then everyone gets into social scrapes.

Almost, but decidedly no. The heroine here is almost my favorite kind of Heyer girl – witty, perceptive, cleverer than the men who are supposed to be her betters – except for how she’s ultimately an idiot so that the hero can explain the entire plot to her. And the hero. Almost my favorite sort of Heyer man – dry, sarc
Emilia Barnes
In defence of Regency Buck

I have, recently, in a Georgette Heyer forum here on GR briefly addressed the perplexing nature of the hatred Lord Worth gets in comparison with other Heyer heroes (and Judith too in comparison with other Heyer heroines), but would like to take the time here to speak more extensively about it, because reasons.

Regency Buck was actually the first full Heyer I ever read (the actual first was an abridged audiobook version of Sylvester, but let’s face it, Richard Armitage’s
Jan
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, regency
3.5 stars. Reread for the January group read for the Georgette Heyer Fans group on GR. We are attempting to read all of Ms Heyer's Regencies in the order in which they were written. This is #1 - first published in 1935 - eep! And yes, it is a little dated.

This was never one of my top favourite Heyers, and this reread confirmed that. I first devoured all of her books as an uncritical teen, but these days I read them with a more critical and analytical eye. And now I see that the probable reason I
Badlydone
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgette-heyer
This is Georgette Heyer's first Regency romance, and has seen its fair share of criticism - particularly of its hero, the fifth Earl of Worth, Julian Audley.

The beautiful heiress, Judith Taverner, and her brother Sir Peregrine, are on their way to London in search of their guardian, when they chance upon a aristocrat who gets entirely too familiar with the feisty Judith. They soon discover that this man is none other than the guardian they had come to meet.

In spite of all the criticism I have
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

I didn't expect a book with this title (you have to admit it doesn't sound very promising) to be this lovely and wonderful. If I were hard-pressed to describe Regency Buck in only a couple of words, then Heyer's livelier, more colourful and more humorous version of Pride and Prejudice would have to do.

There are so many things I loved here. A bond between siblings (both Judith and Peregrine and Lord Worth and his brother) was always something a reader could rely on.
Peregrine's immaturity was
Tweety
Well... This was a bit of a dud.

I don't know how to put this, but frankly this was irritating. I hate to say that when so many of my Goodreads buddies liked it, but boy I have a problem with the characters!

I'm not saying it wasn't funny, I have yet to read a Heyer that wasn't. However, Judith will never know how many times I wanted to smack her. She was so inconsiderate, ungrateful and childish. Do I like ingrates? Is it funny when a character is childish enough to do the exact opposite of wha
Sherwood Smith
One of Heyer's earliest novels, and it appears that she attempted to write in Austen's style, with an awkward result that is almost painful at times. After this, she began developing her own distinctive style, mixing Regency-era slang with twenties Bright Young Thing cadences.

The hero in this one is one of her Brutal Guys. I loathed him in this book, though I like him much better in An Infamous Army. But this one had a lot of details about Regency life that were enjoyable, at least when I first
Abigail Bok
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is Heyer’s earliest Regency novel, and it shows. Lists of all the gentlemen’s clubs in London; lists of varieties of snuff; virtually every bon mot Beau Brummell ever uttered; name-dropping Sense and Sensibility to establish the time frame. (Though considering how Mr. Taverner is clearly ripped from Mr. Elliott, perhaps it should have been Persuasion!)

But it also shows that Heyer had finally found her proper milieu. The novel sparkles with wit and lighthearted dialogue; all the el
Laure
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read by now quite a few Georgette Heyer's book, but this was my least favourite.
There was too much about the plot and not enough about character development. I did not take to the heroin's object of affection either - hardly any redeeming features this time.
kris
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Judith and Perry ride to London to rock out, and on the way they have a misadventure that ends with Judith getting her face kissed off by a grabby stranger. Once in London, they realize that the grabby stranger is actually their guardian! SCANDALOUS HORRORS. And what follows is an over-detailed collection of cock fights, a gaudy Brighton palace, and lots and lots of tense standoffs between ward and ward-ee! COMPELLING STUFF.

1. I was pretty disappointed by this. Worth is a class A Asshole. His in
Hana
This is not my favorite Georgette Heyer romance, but as light historical fiction it is a delight.

Regency Buck tells the tale of two wealthy though provincial young people as they embark on their first London Season. The dialog is witty, the story peopled with a rich cast of well-drawn characters, details of Regency life are sprinkled everywhere; it is all meticulously researched yet the history is woven into the story in a way that never feels forced or overwhelming.

The story begins on Septembe
Teresa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. The mystery was interesting and held the attention all the way through. I guessed fairly early who the culprit was but this didn't take from the enjoyment of it.
I'm surprised I liked it so much because I certainly didn't like the principle characters of Worth and Judith. They would be my least favorite of any Heyer characters. Towards the end I warmed a little towards Worth but Judith just acted like a spoiled child and was very silly throughout I thought.
Peregrin
Seema Khan
***The review below is that of a very involved reader, please make allowance for any difference of opinions!***

4.75* for this Georgette Heyer book.

Regency Buck was a book I had been wanting to read for a long time and after having read it, well the least I can say is it was what a Georgette Heyer book is, prolific writing and a good story, considerable amount of intrigue and mystery with touches of romance. (Romance in RB was much higher than in The Reluctant Widow I must say!)

The story is about
Anne
Although it lacked all the excitement, drama, glamour and awesomeness of These Old Shades and Devil's Cub, Regency Buck was still highly enjoyable and well worth reading. I instantly fell for the hero, Lord Worth, who was as handsome as he was irritating, and as dashing as he was manipulative. Yes, I wanted to shake him up a great many times and command him to stop driving poor Judith up the wall, but he was such an interesting and fun character to read about, that I could not but like him a lot ...more
Susan in NC
Jul 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: reread
1/2017: Rereading with Georgette Heyer GR group; determined to finish this time, but somehow the Walter Isaacson bio of Leonardo, which I was like 8 or 9 in line for at my public library, became available, and I’ve put this annoying Heyer aside for now. But thanks to the insights of my fellow Heyer readers, I would bring my rating up to a 2-2.5 stars for the research alone; H and h are still humorless and the mystery is pretty obvious to anyone who reads a lot of mysteries, but in all fairness t ...more
Regan Walker
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads, regency
Clever, Witty Regency with a Mystery and a Twist

Set in the Regency (1811-1820) but no date given, this is the story of Miss Judith Taverner and her brother Peregrine who, at their father’s death, travel to London to meet their guardian, Lord Worth. They expect Worth to be an elderly man. Instead, they find him to be a man near Judith’s age and one both she and Perry have already encountered leaving them with a very negative impression. (He stole a most inappropriate kiss from her when he met her
Bookish Ally
Lots of fun detail about architecture and some customs but ultimately not one of Heyer’s favorites because I had a very difficult time liking the lead character. I found her to be contrary and argumentative and spoiled. Ick. This one does have a fun little mystery with disaster averted, of course.
Moonlight Reader
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: vintage-women
This was my second (at least) read of Regency Buck. There were parts of it that I liked better this time around, and parts that I actually liked less.

The hero, Lord Worth, is no more likeable in this read than he was the first time I read it. I just cannot conceive of his appeal for Judith, who is headstrong and occasionally obtuse, but who is generally of a friendly, informal disposition. Worth, on the other hand, is cold, withdrawn and often downright unpleasant. He also more or less physicall
Rachel
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read my first regency romance in college; introduced to them by a roommate who shall remain nameless for I would hate for all the world to know that she was at fault for the many, many hours I've wasted reading them. They are a guilty pleasure that I try not to indulge in too often because, while many are harmless, I have come across those with love scenes that make me blush and hope that no one saw me with such heavy stuff. But I was recently introduced to Georgette Heyer who appears to have ...more
Kathryn
I'm not a huge fan of Regency Buck, mostly because I like Judith when she is away from Worth, but hate her whenever she's in his presence or even thinking about him. Judith is a clever, sensible, level-headed woman with a wry sense of humor...right up until Worth says something to or even just looks at her, at which point she degenerates into a contrary, irrational, immature little girl. It's so frustrating. I just want to slap her.

But Judith conspiring with the Beau to make herself notable in S
Rebekah
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new favorite Heyer! While my previous favorite was These Old Shades (such a great one!), I think that Regency Buck is even better. There were several things that I particularly liked about this novel.

1) There was a lot more interaction between the hero and the heroine than in most of the other Heyers that I have read. I really liked this because it was nice to see how their feelings were slowly growing/changing throughout. I think that this made the ending much more believable than in some ot
Ana
My 15th Georgette Heyer

If you haven't read Heyer before, don't start with this book. Yes, Heyer is known for her regency romance and regency is in the title of the book, but please try The Grand Sophy or The Corinthian instead. This is a book I can only recommend to fans of the author.

Deciding to live in London, Judith and Perry Taverner are travelling when they stop to see a boxing match. Our heroine is unchaperoned and meets Julian who talks down to her and forces a kiss on her. Her brother
Jamie Collins
It's possible I'm overrating this because I'm so pleased with it in comparison to the last two Heyer books I've read: These Old Shades and Devil's Cub. All three of these novels are prequels to An Infamous Army, which I look forward to reading next, but I've been disappointed up until this one.

I was charmed by this book, which is a pretty standard Regency romance enlivened by Heyer's amusing characterizations and sparkling dialog. Our lovers are a very likable couple, not too far apart in age, c
Siria
My least favourite kind of Heyer novel—one with a fiery-yet-naive heroine and a hero so full of upper-class, alpha male testosterone that I'd be surprised if he boasts but the one pair of testicles. Judith irritated me, and Worth was the very image of an even more insufferable version of Darcy, who never got the set-down that he so thoroughly required. Heyer lost any interest I might have had in him the moment he started carrying around Judith, touching her against her will and physically intimi ...more
Lema
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first that comes to mind after finishing a first reread of an old favorite of mine is "Bloody hell, was it this problematic the first time around?"
The second thing is that OMG STILL AS DREAMY AS THE FIRST TIME

Young and stupid Me from half a decade ago was waxing poetic about this book, and I gotta admit I see where that comes from... The witty dialogue, the extremely slow-burn romance that keeps you on tenterhooks and makes you squeal when ever they quip at each other, this also contains one
Mela
In this piece of Heyer's work you will find a few really funny and interesting things/descriptions. For example: a carriage race or cock's fight. You will also read about children of the King (in this period they were adult, of course) and you will see them in other light, I think.

For me it isn't the best of Heyer romances but still, it is funny with a little shadow of Alastair.
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
Reread Nov 2nd-Nov 3rd 2015

Another favourite of mine! Really, Heyer always has the most interesting characters in her historicals! And I always find myself thinking how droll they are.

I remember the first time I read this, I picked it up simply because I was in a Georgette Heyer reading craze, so it didn't matter which book it was, as long as it was Regency Era, and written by Georgette Heyer, then sure, I'll definitely read it!

Regency Buck is actually one of a sequence of three books that cou
Georgette Heyer Fans: Regency Buck Group Read Jan 2018 Chapter 13-23 57 37 Feb 06, 2018 03:25PM
Georgette Heyer Fans: Role playing 2 22 Oct 01, 2017 11:17AM
Georgette Heyer Fans: This topic has been closed to new comments. Regency Buck Chapters 1-12 110 38 Jul 22, 2015 07:55PM
Happily Ever Afte...: Qtrly Classic Group Read for April - June 2015 Regency Buck 33 25 Jun 08, 2015 10:47AM
Georgette Heyer Fans: This topic has been closed to new comments. Regency Buck Chapters 13-23 22 27 May 21, 2015 07:37PM
Georgette Heyer Fans: Who was Clorinda? 8 113 May 15, 2015 02:21AM

• Elyza
  • The Private World of Georgette Heyer
  • Summer Campaign
  • Imprudent Lady
  • Georgette Heyer's Regency World
  • Indiscretion
  • Once Upon a Christmas (Nobody, #2)
  • Miss Lockharte's Letters
  • The Famous Heroine (Stapleton-Downes, #5)
  • Maurice Guest
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • Incognito
  • The Substitute Bridegroom
  • Lord Sidley's Last Season
Georgette Heyer was a prolific historical romance and detective fiction novelist. Her writing career began in 1921, when she turned a story for her younger brother into the novel The Black Moth.

In 1925 she married George Ronald Rougier, a mining engineer. Rougier later became a barrister and he often provided basic plot outlines for her thrillers. Beginning in 1932, Heyer released one romance nov

Alastair-Audley Tetralogy (4 books)
  • These Old Shades (Alastair-Audley, #1)
  • Devil's Cub (Alastair-Audley, #2)
  • An Infamous Army (Alastair-Audley, #4)
“What is your name?"
"Again sir, that is no concern of yours."
"A mystery," he said. "I shall have to call you Clorinda."
.....
"Judith! What the devil? exclaimed Peregrine. "Has there been an accident?"
"Judith," repeated the gentleman of the curricle pensively. "I prefer Clorinda.”
15 likes
“Lord Worth: 'I think you may be quite useful to me. The heiress has a brother.'
Captain Audley: 'I am not the least interested in her brother,' objected the Captain.”
7 likes