Start by marking “Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)” as Want to Read:
Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)

Dead Streets

(Matt Richter #2)

The return of Matt Richter. Private Eye. Zombie.

MATT RICHTER'S GOING TO PIECES - LITERALLY.

You've got to keep your head to survive in the teeming undead city known as Nekropolis. It's a pity crazed genius Victor Baron couldn't manage that. Now everyone wants a piece of him.

Zombie detective Matt Richter and his glamorous she-vampire companion Devona are back on the case,
Published March 4th 2011 by Angry Robot (first published August 31st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Streets

Start your review of Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
Jason
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
3.5 Stars

Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2) by Tim Waggoner is the sequel to Nekropolis and the continuation of a cool series. What could be better than a mystery series led by a detective named Matt Ritcher? How about a story that also includes pretty much every urban fantasy supernatural creature imagined? Hey, why not have the protagonist be an undead...zombie? Make it all fit together by taking place in a world adjacent to our own... This is the making of fun stuff.

This really is a dream series
David
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Two great things happen in this installment.

First, it doesn't fall victim to the sequel effect, that horrible filler novel that is just there to help juxtapose the beginning and end volumes of a trilogy.

Second, it expands upon outstanding world building and great characterization that was introduced in the first novel.

This book shows an awesome world that has a different take on the various aspects always thrown around in fantasy novels. From vampires, to lycanthropes, technology and
Nikki
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This book didn't start out so well, what with the repetition of descriptions almost verbatim from the first book and the short stories, but it's still pretty more-ish, like the first book. I read reviews of this when I was part-way through, for some reason, and had to laugh when someone said they wished Devona wasn't a character so it could get back to being a book like the rest of the "dick genre". Pretty apt way to put it, considering most private detectives have and are dicks, and even the ...more
Aaron
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in Tim Waggoners Nekropolis series. The storys protagonist is Matt Richter, a private investigator living in the dark city of Nekropolis, a netherworldly metropolis that the majority of the worlds supernatural denizens immigrated to once it became clear that Humanity was overpowering them by sheer numbers. Richter would probably have a hard time fitting in, living day to day and keeping gainful employment if he wasnt a zombie. You love detective stories? You love zombies? ...more
Jess
I love this series (though I prefer the spelling Necropolis that the original novella used). The stories are entertaining and the world is very unique and interesting. The easter eggs were a pleasant surprise. I'm not often a fan of books that repeat basic information given about the characters in previous books so frequently, but I tend to look the other way for this series because I enjoy it so much. It's something fairly unique in a world saturated with vampires, werewolves, zombies, and ...more
Lisa
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
While I normally am quite picky about my reading, Tim Waggoner has spread a series here that rivals the Dresden Files for my love. Matthew is a complex character, dead or alive, and one that I have grown very fond of in a very short time. His observations are, while not always correct, helpful in figuring it out yourself, and while there are always twists and turns, the book was thoroughly enjoyable, and immense fun. His character makes him realistic, and his past make him three-dimensional.
I
Thorn
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a second book in a series about a zombie detective living in a fair facsimile of Halloweentown. The horror, while horrific in places, is too everyday to haunt your dreams. The noir mystery is mysterious, and its resolution is logical. Matt Richter snarks and deadpans both through the danger to his life (undeath?) and his relationship with his half-vampire girlfriend. The other denizens of Nekropolis are as weird and wonderful as ever.

In short, if you like your mysteries zany and
Suge
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I liked this one more than I liked the first book in this series. There were some parts that kind of lagged and made the story drag on but those parts quickly resolved and the story picked up. I especially like the end, where it seems that our zombie detective begins to understand his place in Lord Edrigu's kingdom. I can't wait to read the third installment of this story.
Brenda
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I was entertained the second Matt Richter book in the series, Dead Streets. While I still compare it to the Nightside, it has a few more pop culture references and recognizable characters. Looking forward to reading Dark War.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
Solid sequel to the original, and the heaps of pop-culture references are very entertaining. I never would've expected to see shoutouts to H.P. Lovecraft, Young Frankenstein, Rocky Horror, and Dr. Goldfoot (!) in the same book, let alone on the same page...
Sean Cummings
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dead Streets is a fantastic read! Rodent Cosa Nostra, flesh tech, reassembled cadavers running amok and a prison break all rolled into one fast paced, kick ass book! Oh, and there's even romance of the dead kind. I'll pick up the third in the series next!
VampAmber
Once again, my dumb ass stayed up way too late just to finish a book, so I'll write my fangirly review later. Promise. And trust me, with a book (and a series) this good, it shall be all kinds of fangirly.
Dawn
This series is over the top and highly entertaining. It's filled with crazy characters and unbelievable happenings. It's a great easy and fun read.
Sandy
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story but the book could benefit from better editing. How does a floating skull suddenly have a back for someone to jump on?
Phil
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loving this series. Fast paced and interesting characterization.
Kathryn
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just as wonderful as the first one! Tim Waggoner is FANTASTIC!!!
PocketBlonde
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: zombies
Second in the serues about a zombie PI Nd his half- vampire Girlfriend.
Katter
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Once again detective Matthew Richter finds himself to be in quite a lot of trouble. After finishing up a rather strange case of attempted voice snatching, hes busy shambling his way home when his head gets cut clean off. Yep, thats right, some assailant decapitates him and makes away with his body. Considering the attacker put a bag over his head, Matt has no idea whats going on or who did the deed.

Thanks to his lovely girlfriend Devona, Matts noggin gets saved from becoming carrion imp chow.
Karissa
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the second book in the Matt Richter series and was a good continuation of that series. I didn't like this book quite as much as the first one but it was still entertaining.

The main story involves Matt losing his head (literally) and then being framed for a crime his body commits. Yes, it's a storyline that could only happen to a zombie. There are many twists and turns to the story as Matt desperately tries to get things put together (his body and head) and figure out who is framing him.
Christine Jones
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This second book in the series is even better than the first, which is a little unusual. The characters are more developed, they interact well, the twists and turns are quite unexpected (most of them) and it culminates in a fun story that I will likely revisit again. This was a fun read and I really enjoyed it.
Roger
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can pretty much work out who the Big Bad is in Dead Streets right away (the "twist" near the end was not particularly twisty) but I still enjoyed Dead Streets. It started off a little slowly but built up a surprisingly nice head of steam near the end. Of course the subtle (and not so subtle) cultural references were amusing, especially the multiple affectionate digs at Stephen King. Onward!
Mark Nunn
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's not great literature, not likely to find itself on the GCSE syllabus anytime soon. But I love it. The sprawling mess of Nekropolus, its many varied inhabitants and its resident zombie detective have me hooked and I thoroughly enjoy immersing myself in it.
Michelle
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great!
Samantha
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An automatic 4 stars for that Maximum Overdrive reference. That alone makes it worth the read!
G.
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little darker than the first one, but still funny as hell...
Ami

Matthew Richter - zombie detective at Necropolis -- was not having a good night. He was attacked, his head was cut off from his body. After he was able to reattach his head, Matt found out that someone used his body to steal an artifact (Osseal -- a bone flute that enabled the owner to command the dead) from Lord of the Dead, Edrigu. Framed, Matt was found guilty and sent to Tenebrus (the jail of Necropolis). Luckily, Matt's girlfriend, half-Bloodborn Devona Kanti and her security team
Noor Jahangir
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, crossover, horror
Do you find any of the following scary?

1. Vampires
2. Werewolves
3. Ghosts
4. Zombies
5. Monsters
6. Demons

If the answer to any of the above is yes, then wait till you get a load of the mean streets of Nekroplis. If you are planning on spending your halloween there then make sure you pack a 9mm with silver bullets dipped in holy water and a pocket full of magical charms; because this city break is going to be unlike any you've experienced before.

Dead Street's is Tim Waggoner's sequel to Nekroplis,
Alex Klimkewicz
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, fantasy
Shortly after finishing Nekropolis I moved on to this sequel and quickly devoured it. Although this book had less copy editing errors -- though still many were present -- the text felt a little more repetitive and unoriginal. Also Waggoner has the annoying habit of making the narrative move forward solely through character dialogue. Sometimes zombie P.I. Matt Richter and his now girlfriend half-vampire Devona felt more like talking heads (which Richter actually was for a portion of the novel) ...more
Yvensong
3 1/2 stars

First off, I hope that the paper versions of this novel are better edited than the Kindle version was. The editing and the layout just got worse and worse during the course of this novel, really detracting from an enjoyable story.

This was better written than the first, though there were a few continuity issues that bothered me. It felt as though the author hadn't remembered a few essential things that happened in the first, or decided to completely ignore them because he couldn't
Dave Wallace
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Was heading for two stars but the ending pulled it up, barely. I like me some noir detective and it doesn't get more noir than a zombie detective but there are far too many fantastical inhabitants of Nekropolis with each one more "all powerful" than the last, that it distracts from the detecting. I wish that were toned down a little. I did however like the jailer mentioning that they had three separate inmates claiming to be the real Vlad the Impaler (all supposedly old even for vampires and ...more

• Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • My Grave Ritual
  • Goblin Quest (Jig the Goblin, #1)
  • Dragon's Gold (Kelvin of Rud, #1)
  • A Study in Brimstone (Warlock Holmes, #1)
  • The Hell-Hound of the Baskervilles (Warlock Holmes #2)
  • The Man with the Golden Torc (Secret Histories, #1)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • Goblin Hero (Jig the Goblin, #2)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
  • Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)
  • Goblin War (Jig the Goblin, #3)
  • Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1)
Tim Waggoner has published nearly fifty novels and seven short story collections, and his articles on writing have appeared in Writers Digest and Writers Journal, among others. He's won the Bram Stoker Award and has been a finalist for both the Shirley Jackson Award and the Scribe Award. He teaches creative writing at Sinclair Community College in Dayton, Ohio. Visit him on the web at ...more

Matt Richter (3 books)
  • Necropolis (Matt Richter #1)
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)

News & Interviews