Start by marking “Destroyer” as Want to Read:
Destroyer

Destroyer

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Written by PETER B. GILLIS and BILL MANTLO. Art by CHRIS WARNER, LARRY ALEXANDER, TERRY SHOEMAKER, RICHARD CASE and DAN LAWLIS. Cover by KEVIN NOWLAN. Published in October of 2011, Softcover, 240 pages, full color. Cover price $29.99.

If you want additional books, I ship as many books as you want for a low flat fee.
Published June 2nd 2010 by Marvel (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Destroyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destroyer

Douglas Gorney
By far the goriest comic I've ever read. The volume of blood, mass of entrails, surface area covered with bodily fluids, and numbers of teeth and eyeballs removed from their respective sockets are off the charts. The Destroyer does not do guns. He rips people apart. He destroys.

The story is on one level fairly simple—an aging super-soldier, pumped up with magic serum and working for the government, races to settles old accounts before his ticker fails him. But the series is really about not goin
Sebastien
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-comics-bd
I enjoyed the Kirkland Walker team up on the invincible .Here the story is just Ok as is the art. The main character is interesting . But to discover a character at the end of is career as a hero without the the background behind it makes it difficult to feel or care for him. Like the part involving is brother .

The violence is there like in the invincible , But following Mark from the beginning help understand the choice he had to make or the motivation behind them. As opposed with the destroyer
Michael
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love a good Kirkman and Walker story. Walker's art style is amazing. He makes the Destroyer look awesome. It's hard to make a guy look hard as nails when he's almost hundred. I guess if you're Clint Eastwood you can look tough as nails, but this guy isn't Eastwood. Plus all the little jokes that hint back to Invincible in the book is great. Like the kid wearing a Science Dog shirt in issue one. Then the Destroyer is reading a Nolan Grayson book later.

I felt the story was a great violent story.
Feather Mista
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ¿Completistas?
Recommended to Feather by: Que estaba a mano.
Bueno, para ser un comic que se lee en 20 minutos no está mal. 25 si contamos el capítulo extra. Lástima que, pese a unos dibujos aceptables y a unos diálogos llevaderos, la historia no va mucho más allá de un superhéroe jubilado matando, descuartizando, triturando, torturando, asesinando, diseccionando, acribillando, masacrando, reventando, eliminando y todos los demás gerundios sangrientos que pueda haber a sus enemigos, hasta que lo reemplaza su yerno y la violencia continúa.

El capítulo extra
Jon Rigton
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I feel like one of those pretentious hipster whenever I discuss any of Kirkman's writings, but The Walking Dead, while good, is not a good representation of his ability (and cleverness) as a writer. Destroyer takes a "hero" (whose suit looks like The Punisher and Green Goblin had a mix up at the laundry mat) who is going out with one last hooray before he retires (which is being forced into for health reasons). Marlow, the man behind the Destroyer persona and mask, decides that since no one is q ...more
John Wiswell
Aug 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
It begins with a great premise: an old, outdated hero learns his days are numbered, and sets out to kill every villain who might hurt his family after he's gone. It's an end-of-life crisis that is at once shockingly violent and mildly adorable, given that our ruthless killer is a little old man with a doting wife. And that dichotomy carries it through several entertaining chapters, at which point it has one of the worst endings Robert Kirkman has ever concocted. It's not even convoluted; it's pe ...more
Guilherme Trindade
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
What if Captain America never got frozen? What if he kept on doing the government's work, fighting the good fight, even he was nearly one hundred and his heart couldn't take it anymore?
I guess that's how I'd describe Destroyer. It's a pretty interesting stand-alone story, with the extreme graphic violence Kirkman has gotten us used to with his other titles.
Some of the one liners fall flat and I wonder if there was a more creative way of solving problems other than killing them (seems to be the s
Nutkin
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't have high expectations for this book because it's outside of what I usually like, but the storyline sounded a lot like action movies that I grew up on, so I wanted to try it out. I liked the story alright and thought Destroyer's personal ending was kind of interesting, but it didn't really feel like there was really much *new* to the idea of a guy trying to kill all his enemies so they don't hurt his family after he's gone. It was good for the type of story it was, so if you love brutal ...more
Alan
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Kirkman often tells good super hero stories, but this tale hits very good. Keen Marlowe is an old man who's heart is about to give out. After decades of fighting monsters and super villains he decides to kill, not imprison, every villain who might come after his family after he's dead. There is gore, but gore in the way that makes sense for when people who can punch through steel walls hit people.
Subroto
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Why did i pick up this book ? cos it was written by Kirkman

Did I like it ?

Very much !!!

Why ???

It was the same old superhero about to die / retire - but this one is a grandpa waiting for his death to come knocking any day now - who's appetite for violence is as insatiable as his interest in potato salad or playing with his grand daughter.
Tyson Adams
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is a lot to like about this superhero story. The idea of a retirement aged superhero who is staring down mortality, wanting to finish his work before dying, wanting to make his family safe and correct his wrongs, is interesting and fun. The final chapter is especially good: what happens when the reaper comes for a superhero?!
Oliver Hodson
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it! The art grew on me- the violence was not what grabbed me but the character's ended every scene completely covered in something- goo, blood, whatever. This was part of destroyer's whole hearted attitude to his work. Interested to read more about this character and turret.
Frank
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun read, even though I have no idea who this character is or was but this was a nice intro to the character and to a action packed book. It stinks I dont know who he is but it was a good action read
Devero
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Kirkman riprende l'originale versione del primo personaggio inventanto da Stan Lee quando ancora non era Stan Lee. A mio avviso rende abbastanza come serie dell'etichetta MAX, però non raggiunge la sufficienza coi disegni e per certi versi mi sa di what if "The Punisher have yet a family".
James Hurley
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Decent art, okay story. Not the worst graphic novel I've read, not the best. I like the idea of an old superhero trying to hang on to life and to keep doing what he's always done.
Mark
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some awesome Robert Kirkman style action, violence and gore in a story about an aging superhero tying up the loose ends of his life and cementing his legacy.
Acton Northrop
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Stan Lee created this character without Kirby and Ditko. Yeah. Kirkman does his best here I suppose. It's stupid.(?)(!)
Steve Sanderson
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Nice spin on a well worn idea.

I love Invincible, and enjoyed this one as well. Would like to read more of this if it's released.
William J.
Dec 15, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • X-Force, Volume 2: Old Ghosts
  • DV8: Gods and Monsters
  • Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3: Conqueror Worm and Strange Places (Hellboy, #5-6)
  • Witchblade, Volume 3: Gods & Monsters
  • Sleeper, Vol. 3: A Crooked Line
  • The Life Eaters
  • Mind the Gap, Volume 3: Out of Bodies
  • Thor Omnibus
More about Robert Kirkman...