Start by marking “The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron” as Want to Read:
The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron

The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  182 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
An in-depth look at every aspect of Cameron's creative genius, providing a revealing portrait of the director's life and work.
Published December 15th 2009 by Crown Archetype (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Futurist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Futurist

John
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can't imagine anyone who enjoys movies not being a James Cameron fan. Not only is he one of the world's greatest storytellers, he also revolutionizes the special effects industry with each successive film he makes. He's a cinematic jack-of-all-trades, a director who holds his own camera and takes stuntman-like risks to get the best shots, a man as comfortable with taking deep sea dives and making high-quality documentaries as he is with overseeing feature films.
THE FUTURIST does a wonderful jo
John Jr.
A serviceable source of basic information about James Cameron's life and his work, with a good number of fun anecdotes. Here's a teaser for one: during the filming of The Abyss, Cameron performed CPR on a drowned rat and managed to revive the creature. Regarding the book as a whole, if this is the kind of thing you like, you'll probably like it.
Will Johnson
This review was reprinted from my website Secure Immaturity. Please check out the site and comment on this review and others.

As I’m writing this, I noticed James Cameron just won Best Director for Avatar at the Golden Globes. And that is, though many will disagree, well deserved. I loved Avatar and love every single James Cameron film (I don’t count Piranha II and neither does he). Aliens is one of my all-time top 5 while The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day are easily in the top 15/20.
Chris
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of James Cameron Films
The story of James Cameron is one that every fan of his movies and aspiring filmmaker should read. James is such a unique character because he has always been about the concept of the story, not, how much money will this pull in for the studios, which is what only studios think about. James has always been about the impact of the story and what people should take away from it. What makes James Cameron such a different director is that during the process of making the movie, he thinks up new ways ...more
Paul
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
the first half is interesting but the second half was so boring, but i endured through it. The first half was enjoyable because it demonstrated how a filmmaker makes his mark in Hollywood and in doing so, it shows us Cameron's character (stubbornness, determination and ingenuity) as a filmmaker. Plus, I got a kick out a few moments in his life, like when he first met Arnie and how Arnie wanted the role of the Terminator over John Connor.
M.R. Bowers
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: film-history
A breathlessly flattering puff piece compiled mostly from already-published sources (old interviews, DVD commentaries, etc.) with a few new interviews mixed in. Seems mostly to have been commissioned as publicity for the release of Avatar. Glosses over Cameron's flaws with an adroitness that's almost funny.
Marty Murphy
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a fascinating depiction of Cameron, who does not give access to his private life and who will do very few interviews for Avatar. Interviews with his mother and father, ex-wives, siblings, friends, producers, studio heads, agents, stars, as well as Cameron himself. Yes, some of the salacious stories we have heard are in the book, but the author brings them to life with vivid firsthand accounts and new details never reported. I had heard the general story of the PCP poisoning of ...more
Chad Kerychuk
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
For as many of Cameron's associates that Keegan had access to, the book feels as though it's missed a huge opportunity to pick these folk's minds and really show why Cameron has been the guy to push filmmaking forward. I felt the book should have been twice as thick and Keegan could have fleshed out many of the anecdotes contained within. Often, it feels as though the book is tailored more towards a general reader rather than anybody familiar with filmmaking or Cameron's work and life. Actual qu ...more
Joshua Pruett
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
The only thing greater than the stories he's told on the big screen are the stories of how he made them, captured here in this thorough book by Rebecca Keegan. Though sometimes a bit too casual for my tastes, it covers the entire width and breadth of Cameron's career, revealing details about how he got started that were wonderfully revelatory and inspiring. Also makes clear that for all the rigors he puts his crews through, he turns the screws hardest on himself. From Piranha II to Avatar, paint ...more
Mcsia
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Movie/film, Avatar, scify, 3-D fans
Recommended to Mcsia by: Friend
I was never into biographies, but the book completely changed my perspective. Excellent biography of James Cameron. Rebecca Keegan provided numerous interesting and intriguing stories behind the production of Cameron's films, whether they were giant blockbusters or a small low budget movie. The book also portrayed Cameron's true genuine character... where he came from and how he became the king of the world/"MIJ", and most of all, his tremendous impact on the society and how films are made today ...more
Stephen
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is great, i love james cameron! He is, in my opinion, the best director ever! His life is amazing. This book is full of interesting facts, he has a vision and he follows it. He has contributed so much to filmmaking and people dont even realise! He is also a great writer in my opinion. Overall, really fascinating book and a great read.
Kwesi
Dec 23, 2009 rated it liked it
It's interesting to hear the story behind some of the biggest movies of our time (Aliens, Terminator, Titanic, Avatar). And Cameron definitely had an interesting childhood. But there's nothing groundbreaking in this book; no deep insights or juicy tales. It's a quick read; solid book. I'd recommend it if you like Cameron or his movies or tech.
Sunny Verma
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I guess the problem is that Cameron's life has so much to discuss that it is hard to transcribe in a mere 200 some pages. While I enjoyed the read, I felt like there was a slight pro-Cameron bias which I could have done without, especially considering all the other neutral reports I've read about what he is like in Hollywood.

Spencer
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beginning the book I though Cameron was a pious genius. After diving into his life story as well as his true love for film and storytelling, I count him as a definite tribute. Very good book, for Sci-Fi fans especially.
lmjohns3
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Definitely made me want to re-watch some of the older Cameron movies, especially the first two Terminators, now that I have a better idea of where these films came from and how they fit in their respective genres.
Rachel
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-reread, favorites
Quite simply changed my life. Not the writing style or way of talking about Cameron, which was very comprehensive and great, but rather for me it opened my eyes to a place I didn't know existed, a placed I didn't know I wanted to go before I read this. I cannot thank this book enough.
DeAnna
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Interesting read, as I have been a big fan of Cameron's movies, but this bio verges on the hagiographic at times. The tone is that Cameron can be an immensely arrogant jerk, but all should be forgiven because he's a genius. I'm not sure I buy that.
Lauren
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this six stars, I would.
Bob
Dec 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Pretty good. Not much new, if you are already familiar with Cameron.
Cathryn Wirth
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Whew! from Avatar to Titannic and more, behind the scenes with J Cameron, a true visionary creatively and a little smutt on the side to keep you go Hmmmmm.
Monica
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read.
Kristian
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good + even handed read about the life of James Cameron. Great pacing, and gives insight into how he works and thinks. I was surprised to see how innovative he was.
Polya
Shane
Dec 25, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • The $11 Billion Year: From Sundance to the Oscars, an Inside Look at the Changing Hollywood System
  • Star Trek Creator: The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry
  • Master Shots Vol 1, 1st edition: 100 Advanced Camera Techniques to Get an Expensive Look on Your Low-Budget Movie
  • Skywalking: The Life And Films of George Lucas
  • Roseanne: My Life as a Woman
  • How to Write a Movie in 21 Days
  • Hit Lit: Cracking the Code of the Twentieth Century's Biggest Bestsellers
  • The Jaws Log
  • Moviemakers' Master Class
  • Star Trek Movie Memories
  • The Dark Tower Companion: A Guide to Stephen King's Epic Fantasy
  • Screen Plays: How 25 Scripts Made It to a Theater Near You—for Better or Worse
  • River Phoenix: A Short Life
  • Cahiers Du Cinema, the 1950s: Neo-Realism, Hollywood, New Wave
  • Scott Fitzgerald: A Biography
  • The Making of Star Wars (Star Wars:  The Making of, #1)

Nonfiction Deals

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks