Start by marking “Thief of Time (Discworld, #26)” as Want to Read:
Thief of Time (Discworld, #26)

Thief of Time

(Discworld #26)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  59,105 ratings  ·  1,564 reviews

Everybody wants more time, which is why on Discworld only the experts can manage it -- the venerable Monks of History who store it and pump it from where it's wasted, like underwater (how much time does a codfish really need?), to places like cities, where busy denizens lament, "Oh where does the time go?"

While everyone always talks about slowing down, one young horologist

Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published April 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Thief of Time, please sign up.
Sharla The chemistry is the conflict between them. Susan is extremely analytical and is continuously picking apart why things are the way they are. Whereas L…moreThe chemistry is the conflict between them. Susan is extremely analytical and is continuously picking apart why things are the way they are. Whereas Lobsang kind of just "feels" everything out and is much more intuitive.

Susan looks at everything from the angle of how does it serve to achieve a specific goal versus Lobsang is focused more on the value inherent in individuals and experiences regardless if it is "efficient." (less)
Cassandra Chocolate!

Definitely. Time can come later.…more
Chocolate!

Definitely. Time can come later.(less)

·  59,105 ratings  ·  1,564 reviews

Start your review of Thief of Time (Discworld, #26)
Christine
I could repeat what all the other reviews have said about this book, but I'm not.

You should read it for a total of five reasons.

1. Susan (one of the best characters ever)
2. Pratchett's character of Death rules.
3. The wonderful use of chocolate in the novel.
4. Mrs. War
5. One of the best descriptions of a school room ever.
Melki
Well, I did not love Lu-Tze, or the History Monks, or the Glass Clock plot...BUT, this being a Pratchett book, it was easy to find plenty of other things to go gaga over.

- This exchange between Susan and her grandfather:

"They're going to do something to time? I thought they weren't allowed to do things like that."

NO. BUT HUMANS CAN. IT HAS BEEN DONE ONCE BEFORE.

"No one would be that stu---"

Susan stopped. Of course someone would be that stupid. Some humans would do anything to see if it was possi
Novac
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first exposure to the work of Terry Pratchett. As a long-time Douglas Adams fan, I had heard Pratchett's name many times, but never took the time to actually read one of his books. I grabbed this one because the plot sounded interesting, and when I read the jacket at home, I noticed it was part of the "Discworld" series. Curious about how to properly start the series, a lump formed in my throat as I discovered that there are thirty-two Discworld novels, and that's not counting four y ...more
Lyn
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kwai Chang Caine and Master Kan sit meditating, sipping tea and discussing Terry Pratchett’s 2001 Discworld novel Thief of Time.

Master Kan: Please tell me, young Caine, what was your favorite part of Sir Pratchett’s book.

Caine: I liked it all, master, but I suppose I most liked the character Lobsang Ludd.

Master Kan: Why is that grasshopper?

Caine: Master, he was an apprentice to the great Lu-Tze, who was only a sweeper, and yet he was so much more, he traded his deserved greatness for a lowly pos
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, fantasy, 2019-shelf
Re-read: 7/29/19

Cheese and Chaos, time and death, the grand auditors of the universe, and every kung-fu movie ever made.

Does this sum up this novel?

Yep, pretty much. :)

Some parts in the middle dragged a bit, but getting all the horsemen together and Ronnie sped it up a great deal. And is it just me, or do Ronnie and Gaspode need their own novels? An epic team-up, perhaps? Maybe it's just me. And, oh, the end this novel actually brought a tear to my eye. :)
Trish
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to Discworld. As we all know, things work a little different on Discworld (though Susan does not approve).

This goes for Time as well. Thus, only the experts can manage time - thes eexperts are called the Venerable Monks of History and they store it and pump it from where it's wasted (like underwater - how much time does a codfish really need after all?) to places like cities where people lament "Oh, where does the time go?".
After discovering a remarkable thief in Ankh-Morpork's Guild of
Kaethe Douglas
3/26/2004
6/27/2014

I don't know why I didn't review this one before. Death is featured, but once again, more play is given to granddaughter Susan, who, in the ongoing move to Discworld modernity, is now an elementary school teacher. There is an impending apocalypse caused by the Auditors again. We also get a few new characters: one a very talented clockmaker, another a novice under Lo Tze the time monk. Marvelous fun along the way as Pratchett explores what time means to humans. Such fun. There's
YouKneeK
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thief of Time is the fifth and final(!) book in the Death subseries of Discworld. I’ve always been a little iffy on this subseries, but I think this was my favorite of the five books. The general story is that an Auditor has commissioned a clockmaker, Jeremy, to make a special clock. What the Auditor doesn’t tell Jeremy is that this clock will supposedly have the power to stop time, bringing an end, or at least a permanent pause, to the Discworld.

Death didn’t actually get that much page time in
Katherine Furman
A small disclaimer for this review: I read this book mostly while I had a fever, so I can't be held accountable for accuracy.

This is the second Pratchett book I've read and though I enjoy him, it's hard for me to shake the thought that I'm reading Douglas Adams light, set in a Dungeons and Dragons fantasy land instead of sci-fi outer space. That's not altogether a bad thing though b/c I Adams is one of my very favorite authors and he did not leave this world with too many books.

Thief of Time, a
Ashley
There wasn't enough Death in this, but then again, he's done all his growing already in other books, so that was probably the smart choice. I still really enjoyed it.

The actual main characters of this book are Death's granddaughter, Susan, who has reached the ultimate peak of her badassdom; a history monk named Lu-Tze; and his apprentice, Lobsang. The history monks are cool. They live in this place where Time doesn't really exist, and their job is to basically monitor history, and in a sense Ti
Carolyn
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, fantasy
This is my first time reading this particular volume of Discworld. As usual it was a fun romp with some old friends and some inventive new characters and an innovative plot. However, I don't think it's going to be one of my favourites (there are so many to choose from) as it didn't seem as cohesive (if that is a world you can apply to a Discworld novel) as others in the series. It may not have helped that I read this slowly as my bedtime read. Maybe a re-read would help :)

Having said that, there
Silvana
A tad bit more complicated in plots than the usual Death books but I quite enjoyed it still. The highlights would be the horseman of the apocalypse and baby abbot. Bikkit!
Juho Pohjalainen
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not easy to pick a favorite out of all the Discworld books, every single one of them being great in their own way... but if you were to twist my arm and force me to pick one, I'd have to go with Thief of Time.

This isn't one of those books carried by its heroes, though. Neither Lobsang Ludd nor Jeremy Clockson were all too memorable to me, and Susan Sto Helit was never a favorite of mine either. No, this book has stuck into my mind entirely because of its villains: occasionally scary, often
David Sarkies
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tempus Fugit
15 November 2017

It's funny because I was planning on making this the last of the Pratchett books that I would read only to discover that I really enjoyed it, which means that I might consider reading a few more just to continue to add them to the list of books that I have read. Okay, maybe I am going to be a little disappointed when I get the the next couple of books, but a part of me does want to read Going Postal because, well, a book with the title 'Going Postal' does grab my att
Toby
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
In many ways Thief of Time is the definitive work of the later Disc period, here is a book that blends pop culture, philosophy and the observation of society with humour, both dark and silly, to hold a mirror up to human behaviour, explaining why we do the things we do, pointing out how things can be done better and there's a stream of genuine goodness to counteract the inherent selfishness of the species that seems to provide cause for hope, at least in the mind of Pratchett, in the face of the ...more
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, humor, fantasy
This is one of my favorites because there's so much going on: Lobsang Ludd and Lu-Tze solving the mystery of the end of time; Susan Sto Helit being drawn back into her grandfather Death's world once more; the Auditors making another attempt to destroy humanity, but in so doing they come a little too close to being human themselves. There's even a romance, though Pratchett was frankly terrible at them, but this one is sweet--and happens entirely in the background.

A subtheme of this book is the id
Marita Arvaniti
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might just be the best pratchett book ever im calling it
Claudiu
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been perhaps a whole year since I've last read Terry Pratchett. After 20-something books, you need to take a short rest from a certain universe, if you want to get anything done with your reading schedule.
It's easy to fall into the Discworld series and never surface again, especially as at this later part of the series there seems to exist a creative high that permeates every page and every line.

I've come to a point in reading this series in which it's hard to call favorites. I can call out
Gabi
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Against one perfect moment, the centuries beat in vain."

This quote from the book says it all. There are Pratchett books where upon closing I feel grateful for having read them. The feeling I'm left with is one of utter satisfaction, of faith in humanity and awe for one of the best writers of all time. "Thief of Time" is one of them. It is witty, it is intelligent, it is thought-provoking, it has mind-bending details, it has perfect pacing and the love and respect of the author towards his own c
Sara J. (kefuwa)
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of discworld, chocolates & the five, eh, four horsemen of the apocalypse
Recommended to Sara J. by: "random" library pick
What I thoroughly enjoyed:
1. Death
2. Susan
3. Scenes with the other Horsemen of Apoc
4. Chocolates
5. The last third or quarter of the book

My favourite bits are Susan as kindergarten teacher, any exchange among any of the Horsemen (hilarious) and the bits with chocolate. HAHA.

The above more than made up for the meandering first half-ish part of the book. And I couldn't (in the beginning) care less about the monks or Lu Tze until at least half way past the book (did a fair bit of dragging my eyes ac
AnnaG
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terry Pratchett was probably the greatest philosopher to ever live. From Wen the Perpetually Surprised to the martial arts of sna-fu and okidokdi to the Auditors trying to understand Art through measurement, Pratchett entertains, bewilders and enlightens.
Matt
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads, humor, fantasy
The rules of the universe are once again being bent to endanger life, but this time it is really Time itself that is being used as the weapon of choice. The 26th installment of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series finds many characters quite literally being a Thief of Time from certain points of view, yet only one can truly change history.

The Auditors of Reality attempt once again to organize the universe by getting rid of life by literally stopping everything by having a clockmaker construct the
Tim
What to say, except that Mr. Pratchett took on an original subject for a story: time and building the ultimate clock, one that couldn't be more precise. But the downside is that once it's activated, it stops time. This has to be avoided at all costs, even if it means playing with different times / events / eras / ...

As is custom, there must also be humour, although on a whole I found a little less dominant compared to previous Discworld novels I've read, not in the least Reaper Man, for example,
Cory
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Excellent book. It's up there in my top 5 Discworld books. Lu-Tze is my second favorite character, after Sam Vimes. I first encountered him in "Night Watch", and I wasn't so sure he wasn't just a stereotypical characterization of a crazyish monk.. I should've known better, having read several of Pratchett's books by then. It's a very interesting plot that makes you laugh, smirk, and think along the way. As usual, the pacing of the story is excellent. There's no real lag, and though there are sev ...more
Max
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was more confusing for me than the usual Terry Pratchett books. The kaleidoscopic view was maybe executed differently, or maybe I am just very tired?

I loved Igor, his accent cracked me up. I read his speech in my head in a true Igor-ish way. Also Susan and Death are hilarious as usual. I found the monks funny, but their passages were the most confusing for me.

I did find a very nice quote:

Sometimes the gods have no taste at all. They allow sunrises and sunsets in ridiculous pink and blue hue
Beth
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
...This actually worked for me. I mean, it has flaws: too much attention to niggling, irrelevant details; that overly aware tone to the narration; sections where style is prioritized over - well, everything, including story.

But I read this as a fairy tale, and it's a pretty compelling one. It's exciting, and a little weird, and doesn't have too much of the characters I consider gimmicks (though the Auditors, in a storyline entirely too drawn-out, definitely do their best to take Death's spot). T
K.
3.5 stars.

This book is fun, but it's also kind of disjointed. There's an awful lot of stuff going on, and it takes a long time for all the plots to tie together. Still, it features Susan, and Susan being a teacher, and Susan is one of my favourite things about the Discworld.

The History Monks work better for me in theory than in execution - there's only so many times you can read reincarnation jokes where the Abbot yells "WANNA BIKKIT" in between spouting deep philosophical thoughts before it g
Lydia
Abandoning at p. 173
Idk I'm just bored and life's too short.
Daphne
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readathon18
#readathon18 Ένα αστείο βιβλίο

The first book by Terry Pratchett I ever read, more than a decade ago. I remembered almost nothing and wanted to re-read it. I always struggle a bit to get into Pratchett's books at the beginning, because the plot feels too disjointed for me. But once I get into them, his books are amazing and that's why he's a joy to re-read. I want to try to read more of his books that I haven't read and re-read the ones I have but don't remember well.
Kristen
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ive stopped writing reviews for Terry's books because they're all simply brilliant and I couldnt do them justice. If I were a certain kind of monster, I would read these books with a highlighter in my hand, just to capture the wisdom, the profundity, the humour and the incredible insight.
He truly was too good for this world.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Thief of Time [Sep 8, 2018] 33 37 Sep 15, 2018 06:41AM
Lost Book!! 3 82 Dec 28, 2015 06:06PM
Flight reading 2 50 Jan 02, 2012 06:40AM

• False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Wolf Child (The Year of the Wolf #1)
  • Whispers In The Tall Grass
  • Hades and Seph
  • Wild Geese
  • Love in Amsterdam (Van der Valk #1)
  • Last Boat to Camden Town
  • Missing Wings: Chronicles of the Aranysargas
  • Czentes Omega (Intergalaktiska akademin #1)
  • Vampire City
  • Der Weg in die Verbannung (Die Söhne der größen Bärin 2)
  • The James Beard Cookbook
  • Getting Started with Simulink
  • Elements of Critical Thinking: A Fundamental Guide to Effective Decision Making, Deep Analysis, Intelligent Reasoning, and Independent Thinking
  • MATLAB for Dummies
  • Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco
  • First Finnish Reader for Beginners: Bilingual for Speakers of English
  • The Silent Shades of Sorrow: Healing for the Wounded

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)