Start by marking “Hackers and Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age” as Want to Read:
Hackers and Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age

Hackers and Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age

"The computer world is like an intellectual Wild West, in which you can shoot anyone you wish with your ideas, if you're willing to risk the consequences. " --from Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age, by Paul Graham

We are living in the computer age, in a world increasingly designed and engineered by computer programmers and software designers, by people w
Published (first published May 20th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hackers and Painters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hackers and Painters

Start your review of Hackers and Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age
Einar
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had serious problems with this book. So Paul Graham is a successful Lisp hacker who made a lot of money from his start-up. Good for him. To be sure, this earns him some credibility in discussing languages and start-ups. Unfortunately, he takes it upon himself to extrapolate from this single data point to universal laws of what makes you successful. Moreover, he seems to think that his success as a geek entrepreneur somehow lends validity to whatever unsubstantiated thoughts, feelings and preju ...more
Cody Django
Meh. This started out promising. While it may provide inspirational fodder for young, technological entrepreneurs, everyone else might soon find the tone obnoxious and constant extrapolation tedious.

Graham is at his best when he sticks to what he knows: programming and business technology. As such, the best chapter is "programming languages explained." This chapter held the most accessible explanation on language analytic that I've ever come across, and is a pleasure to read. Other chapters, su
Kevin Powe
What I expected going in was interested parallels on the process of creating software versus other creative arts, and what Graham had learned across multiple disciplines. That I can dig.

What I got is a string of thinly justified essays that are lionising The Uber1337 Hacker as a misunderstood maverick agent for changing that is only being kept back by The Man.

Graham is a smart man - far smarter than me, and he's written a lot more software. But the tone of the book is grating, because:

a) he keep
Anusha Narasimhan
A collection of essays that are thought-provoking and insightful. The author makes nerds look super cool, so a big thumbs up from me. I recommend it to programmers and people interested in computer science. Will reread and write a proper review sometime in the future.
Vijay
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am a fan of PG's essays, so I was looking forward to reading this book. Unfortunately, it is just a collection of essays he has published online. If you have read the essays available on his website, you can safely skip this book.

In many of the essays, PG makes statements such as "The time to code a program depends mainly on its length.." which are ridiculous. I know he is trying to appeal to a wider audience, but staying stuff like this without anything to back it up is ridiculous. Some of hi
Matt
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun-to-read mix of insight and ideology, Graham is someone we can learn from no matter which side of the box he's thinking on. His essay on nerds ("Why Nerds are Unpopular") is still a favorite, even while his essay on disparity of wealth ("Mind the Gap") is among the most unreflective apologies for anarcho-capitalism I've ever read.

I was, at least, inspired enough while reading Graham to put a few more thoughts together; those interested can find them here.
Ankush Chander
I wish I picked this book in my first year undergrad(or any other book then for that matter :P). Glad to be reading it now nevertheless.
Philipp
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays, non-fiction
It's a strange hit-and-miss affair, this collection -

the essays on software design and especially programming languages (and the advantages of Lisp) are a joy to read, Graham's clearly a great, succinct writer.

The essays on society, however, are too "American" for my taste - Graham takes a single data-point (often his own life) and then extrapolates from his point to hell and back creating a 100% black-and-white worldview. The very first essay is on "nerds" vs. "non-nerds", I'd say, and is most
Max Nova
Full review and highlights at https://books.max-nova.com/hackers-and-painters/

I was looking at my highlights for Paul Graham's "Hackers and Painters" and it seems like I basically highlighted the entire book. It's that good.

At its core, this is a book about how changes in technology (particularly computer tech) has changed economic and social realities... and the new breed of tech-savvy doers that these technological shifts have brought to the forefront of our society.

Graham begins at the beginn
Viet Nguyen
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paul-graham
A collection of essays from Paul Graham, a programmer who strongly advocates LISP programming. This book provides deep insights into nerd's life, hacker, entrepreneurship, and, which I enjoy the most, programming language. Paul showed why LISP is "the most powerful programming language" by comparing it with many other programming language: C, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby.

4 star only because the info is somehow out of date.

Here is my quick notes:

Chap 1. Reading about nerds in school made something
Saad El
This book is a collection of essays by Paul Graham(co-founder of Y Combinator),
the essays are written in a really good style, the book is inspirational and thought provoking. It provide lots of insights on programming, startups, entrepreneurship, nerds, etc. The essays on programming languages are very interesting, Paul Graham clearly knows what he's talking about especially that he is co-creating a new Lisp dialect called Arc. But I didn't like it when he arguments on why Lisp is the most powe
Shane
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hackers and painters link is tenuous at best, and I didn't find much of the stuff in here revolutionary, but it was published in 2004 and I tend to agree with most of it. It seems to be mostly geared toward inspiring nerds to make more conscious decisions in the career, be it starting a business or otherwise even if it does claim to be aimed at anyone interested in learning about software and software systems. All that said, Graham is a decent writer. He adopts an authoritative tone which pe ...more
Vignesh
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Starting from random opinionated views on how the world works, to interesting correlations about art and science ending with a strong evangelism on the programming language lisp, Paul forces us to put our thinking cap on.
Ekaterina Kiseki
Dec 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't finished the book. The man may be very good at his job, but he sucks at writing. The book looks like a compilation of cheap motivation posts with catchy titles. However it may amuse those who are completely unrelated to IT.
Ross Siegel
Self indulgent, self-congratulatory, vague concepts expounding on platitudes & trivialities.
Paul Graham is a badass, no doubt, but this book can be skipped.
Michelle Tran
Jun 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, essays
The articles on technology were decent (not great), but it was hard not to facepalm every couple of pages on his articles about social commentary.
Ilya Ivanov
Great book, not only for developers. You don't need to agree with all Paul's points (I certainly didn't) in order to appreciate courage and creativity of authors ideas.
Muriel
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worth-re-read
All ideas are great. One about school struck me -- the school system was mostly used as an elaborate baby sitting system. Children do not have to inherently wait until age 18 to learn about calculus. Teenagers have been productive (even prolific) in production and creation, from apprentice to creative activities such as hacking, when they are unshackled from the school system's dictated pace.

This idea shook me from the illusion people placed on doing well in school - which is set at learning pac
SWAROOP CHOUGULE
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Graham is computer scientist, entrepreneur and a venture capitalist. He is famously known for his work on LISP, his former startup Viaweb, and co-founding the influential startup accelerator Y Combinator. In Hackers and Painters, what starts as a very general book with essays like Why nerds are unpopular?, Hackers & Painters, What you can't say, Good Bad attitude etc; turns highly technical towards the end. He advocates why LISP is a better language for programming softwares, what is the ri ...more
Luboš
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read book for every developer. I love overlaps to other domains. As a non-native speaker, I have learnt a couple of new interesting words. At first sight, it does not look technical at all, but it does indeed. Very good insight to history of programming but also to the future. It contains several refrains such as Lisp, languages vary in power, ViaWeb, startup, renaissance and painting. It glues essays nice together.
Senthil Kumaran
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading Paul Graham's essays. It is quite dated, for e.g, lots of reference to Web in the 1990s, 2000s time when Yahoo was a prominent .com company. Some of his opinions on wealth creation are still applicable in 2020. But we have to read his essays with plenty of skepticism. He sings praise for lisp and instills some desire in the reader to study lisp and start a startup.
Barack Liu
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

079-Hackers and Painters-Paul Graham-Essay-2004
Barack

—— “After finishing my graduate degree in computer science, I went to an art school to study painting. Many people were surprised: a person who likes computers likes painting! They seem to think that playing with computers and painting are two distinct things. The different things -- the computer is cold, precise, and orderly, and painting is a kind of expressive way of primitive desire. "

"Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age" w
Saeed
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just like the 2 chapters of this book. These two chapters are worth to read.
They are: 6. How to Make Wealth & 7. Mind the Gap (The Daddy Model of Wealth).
Highly Recommended.
Pedro Delfino
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read. I wish I had read this book when I was 14 yrs old. Paul Graham is the favorite philosopher in the hacker community.
uosɯɐS
I read several of Paul Graham's essays years ago (Probably one of my favorites is still: Cities and Ambition), bought this book, and have been meaning to get to it for years. Well, I finally did.

I still like Paul Graham's essays. It is exciting to read about how successful startups came to be. Some of the technical issues he talks about may be a bit dated now, but even when he seems to be talking about something specific and technical, he's really talking about bigger-picture issues, so I think
Jeremy Karmel
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoy Paul Graham's writings. I think that everything in this book may be available on Graham's blog, but it's still worth checking out. The book is really a series of essays in disguise but frankly that makes it much better than many drawn out books that would have been better as essay. Graham writes in a direct manner that is very engaging. I recommend the following essay in particular:

3) What You Can't Say - In this essay Graham defines a procedure for identifying beliefs that you sh
Yevgeniy Brikman
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read for all programmers and anyone interested in software. I don't agree with everything in the book, bit there are some terrific insights here. Some of my favorite quotes:

A programming language is for thinking of programs, not for expressing programs you've already thought of. pg 22

Programmers were seen as technicians who translated the visions (if that is the word) of product managers into code. pg 23

Software has to be designed by hackers who understand design, not designers who know
Rajat Khanduja
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Paul Graham has some very interesting ideas on hacking. The perspective that draws a parallel between hackers and all creators makes a hacker feel great about himself/herself. Graham is open-minded. Moreover, his strength in inductive thinking cannot be ignored when he extends our disapproval of some prevalent ideas of the past to infer that the ideas that are ubiquitous today might also appear idiosyncratic in the future. Another similar idea is the parallel drawn between religion and programmi ...more
Du Nguyen
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Hackers and painters is a book written by Paul Graham who ran a startup in the 1990's which was later sold to Yahoo. He is now running Y Combinator.

Hackers and painters is a book which reads like a collection of random essays. The first few chapters is about the start of computing and about childhood while later chapters are about both starting a startup and socioeconomic policies. The last chapters are about programming languages where he strongly argues for lisp.

Anyone so have read one of his
Alan Konyer
I started with a bias to like this book, because programming was my passion in university in 1976 and I often wonder if I had stayed on that path, could my career path (and bank account) been richer for it?

I don't have enough programming experience to comment on the various computer language comparison opinions, which other reviewers seem to value. I did think the author's insights into adolescent and high-school socialization and the reasons why small software start-ups can often run circles ar
Abney and Associates: The upcoming cyber-security threat cycle 2 5 Jun 05, 2013 10:47PM
Like this book? Join O'Reilly Media's fan group 1 15 Oct 20, 2009 10:54AM

• Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days
  • The Cathedral & the Bazaar: Musings on Linux and Open Source by an Accidental Revolutionary
  • Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
  • The Passionate Programmer
  • Venture Deals
  • Joel on Software
  • The Practice of Programming (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series)
  • Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams
  • Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Making Ideas Happen: Overcoming the Obstacles Between Vision and Reality
  • Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Paul Graham is an essayist, programmer, and programming language designer. In 1995 he developed with Robert Morris the first web-based application, Viaweb, which was acquired by Yahoo in 1998. In 2002 he described a simple statistical spam filter that inspired a new generation of filters. He's currently working on a new programming language called Arc, a new book on startups, and is one of the par ...more

News & Interviews

“There are few sources of energy so powerful as a procrastinating college student.” 79 likes
“Let's start with a test: Do you have any opinions that you would be reluctant to express in front of a group of your peers?

If the answer is no, you might want to stop and think about that. If everything you believe is something you're supposed to believe, could that possibly be a coincidence? Odds are it isn't. Odds are you just think whatever you're told.”
21 likes