Start by marking “Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication” as Want to Read:
Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication

Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication

When You Talk, Are People Changed?

Whether you speak from the pulpit, podium, or the front of a classroom, you don’t need much more than blank stares and faraway looks to tell you you’re not connecting. Take heart before your audience takes leave! You can convey your message in the powerful, life-changing way it deserves to be told. An insightful, entertaining parable that
Published (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Communicating for a Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Communicating for a Change

Rachel Blom
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of good, even great advice on how to deliver a sermon in Communicating for a Change. To get to the good stuff however, you need to read through the first part of the book first and that was a bit of a struggle for me, because I didn’t care much for it. Don’t let that deter you from reading the book though, for you’ll miss out on good insights into preaching that really connects with your audience.

Communicating for a change is written by Andy Stanley, founder and senior pastor of N
Ben Bandiera
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ministry
I belt the writer has some unresolved chips on his shoulder towards certain styles of preaching, especially anything that is 'bible heavy,' that being said, the second half of this book raises some solid points about communication and things that anybody getting up to preach the gospel should think about. This is of-course after you wade through 100 odd pages of some drawn out retelling which honestly disproves his whole argument about storytelling being an effective way to communicate informati ...more
Naomi
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stanley & Jones' Communicating For A Change is my new go-to book for practicing homiletics. The five-point sermon made sense in an age when people were used to hearing and following one to two hour discourses. That's not the current culture and preaching needs to adapt. While the method Stanley & Jones present is clear and simple, the practice will be difficult, less so for those practiced in story-based preaching, but certainly for those schooled to the classic academic Protestant style ...more
Drew
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preaching
Good practical advice on verbal communication; a quick read but some potent insights. I would disagree with Andy about a lot regarding theology, church, and worship, but I am glad to have his insights on communication. I will be trying to put some of this into practice.
Jason Kolar
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Didn't agree with everything Andy Stanley said but took away a lot that will probably carry with me the rest of my life, and that is the essence of a 5 star book. Would definitely recommend.
Ryan
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you need to make some sort of speech
Shelves: favorites
I'll begin by denoting that I am no evangelical Christian; I used to be one, but now I am quite the contrary, a devout Traditional Catholic. I love incense and candles, vestments and Latin, stained glass and adorned Churches.

Viz., I'm not a huge fan of the 'mega-churches', of which Stanley is a pastor of.

With that said, I love this book. It's down to earth, practical, and a huge help to anyone who is delivering a message. If you're struggling to get a speech down-pat, or your speeches aren't en
Jenny
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though my goodreads account has suffered serious neglect of late, I have indeed been reading, and now that I have a bit of breathing space, I think I will add books a few at a time to avert a deluge.

To be honest, I considered not adding this particular title fearing what some of my friends might think a) about why I am reading a book on preaching and b) why I am reading Andy Stanley at all. But I found this book so genuinely helpful that I feel I must heartily recommend it to anyone who would l
Радостин Марчев
Една от най-добрите (ако не и най-доброто) практични ръководства за проповядване, които съм чел. Задължителна книга за всеки комуникатор и пастир.
Книгата е едновременно лека за четене, кратка, изключително практична и полезна и ориентирана към съвременни хора.
Някои неща, които ме впечатлиха
- Пълното отхвърляне на структурата на проповедта/посланието в няколко идеи/точки. Стенли предлага да изхвърлим това и да изградим всичко около една единствена основна идея, която да кажем ясно и след това
Shirley Brosius
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If you do any public speaking, you owe it to yourself to read this book. Authors Andy Stanley and Lane Jones craft their writing in a way that illustrates the points they want to make, so it’s an easy, engaging read. By likening the process of developing a speech to a journey, they tell the story of a trucker and his passenger discussing communication.

The first half of the book covers the authors’ major points while the second half elaborates on them. As with a trip, you must determine your dest
Al Garlando
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pastors, preachers, Bible students
This is the sequel (sort of) to "7 Practices of Effective Ministry.
It will challenge the way you think about sermon preparation and delivery.
For me, it means a return to what I was originally taught regarding sermons, especially the difference between preaching and teaching.
Teaching is imparting information, whereas preaching is aimed at changing the listener.
To do you need to keep it simple. This maximises your impact and focus.
One of the "7 Practices" is expounded further in this book - Less f
Nat
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This is really two books in one. While the first half narrative interested me, it was the second half's principles that really hit it home.

My style of speaking is on disseminating a lot of information, and I usually let my personality do the audience engagement. People pay attention, but there does not seem to be a lot of action after the fact. Some of these principles challenged me to be a more challenging speaker.

Stanly's writing is very easy to follow and he does make some valid points for a
Fred
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preaching
Great insights into what it takes to preach for change in people. Stanley is unapologetic about his insistence that we preach one point, that connects with the audience and that we leave them something to do. As a life-long Christian and preachers kid, Stanley is completely unafraid of what people may say about his method. He believes this is crucial; lives are on the line. He shares his famous "me, we, God, you, we" technique as well as a host of important questions to ask when you get stuck. P ...more
Paul J
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I confess. I was tempted to be skeptical about another book on communication, and especially about preparing a message and delivering it. But I tried it. I began applying a few of the principles and I could not believe the response the audience had. Change was happening in hearts. It was so quiet, it was like you could hear it happening (I know that sounds contradictory). So, a big thank you to Andy Stanley for teaching this old dog some new tricks. It definitely has been worth it!
Jason Retherford
good book. very helpful for communicators to think through what they are doing. i was challenged, pushed and thinking of centering everything around one point is a new idea. i enjoyed reading how andy stanley fleshes out his ideas. it will be fun to try to incorporate his ideas to become a better speaker, a better communicator, a better travel guide.
Andrew
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: communications
I have read numerous books over the years by Andy Stanley, he never disappoints. You want to get on track with delivering effective and relevant sermons/messages, then I highly recommend this book for you. Easy to read, yet immensely profound and practical. Enjoy the read!
Ross Slough
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and practical for me personally. Also, Andy is such an authentic and conversational writer which made for a really fun read.
Ross Leikvoll
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely phenomenal book!! Definitely one of the best books I've ever read on communication! I couldn't recommend it more!!
John Richards
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy has a rather unique approach to preaching/communicating. A pretty easy read. His outlining method is something I'd like to try soon.
Peter Yi
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For all preachers and different speakers!

First book I’ve read by Andy Stanley, and looking forward to more. I’ve heard him preach sermons a lot, but never picked up a book by him. Glad I started with this one.

It helped me clarify and work out transitions better, and keeping the audience engaged more. I put into practice the things I read on, and our people noticed. I was getting rusty in some areas after not preaching regularly for a long time, but this book was refreshing. And the Me-We-God-Yo
Mark Schlechty
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for anyone who communicates.

I really hate the style of part 1 of this book. Getting the points across in a novel type format typically doesn't work well with me . But it was effective and I did get the points . I much more preferred part 2 of the book which was more didactic and linear . I say that I hated the style of the first part of the book, that doesn't mean I hated the first part of the book. I actually enjoyed it and learned a significant amount of useful tidbits. I ju
Philippe Lazaro
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian

–Andy Stanley

This was a great book that has changed the way I put together talks or public communication.

I would love it if the approach found in this book became more normalized. Many of us have encountered so many talks that are built off extensive outlines and itemized lists. While there's room for that, this book helped explain why some of the most life-changing talks and sermons I'
Steve Campbell
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preaching
In a creative format, Andy Stanley and Lane Jones combine to present a fresh way to communicate biblical truths that will lead to life transformation. The first half of the book is an extended metaphor written by Jones to illustrate the principles of communication that Stanley presents in the second half. The main point of the book is that messages with one, powerful point are more likely to lead to life change in the audience. Stanley and Jones make their case in a lively and engaging way. This ...more
Kyle Davies
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Very Practical

The story which began to book enabled the method Andy employs to be cemented. Andy’s steps are very helpful and practical. However, I felt that much of the book was geared toward “what works.” The pragmatic bent works well in both an attractional model and in Christendom. As our culture moves away from basic biblical literacy, I’m not sure how transformative the method will be.
Tina Kyeremateng
“And next time you find yourself counting ceiling tiles and flipping through your Bible waiting for the speaker to stop speaking, make a list of everything they are doing wrong. Ask yourself what they could have done to make their message work. Rewrite their talk the way you would have delivered it. Then go up afterwards and hand it to them. They will appreciate it. Probably take you to dinner”.

I’m not so sure this is a good idea (lol).
Mike Panton
Written in a very easy to follow and entertaining form, Andy Stanley expertly outlines a simple way of preaching.

With his style, you don’t need to depend on notes. As he said, if what you’re saying is not important enough for you to remember, how do you expect the congregation to remember?

I did not go to bible school but my boss who did said this, “This book taught me more about preaching than any class ever did.”
Maui Rochell
First of the few books I've read about preaching. This was recommended to me by one of my mentors in preaching. Immediately after our class, I read this and highlighted a handful of tips that I can apply when it comes to preparing a preaching outline. The tips written by Stanley were practical and easy to apply. It also helped me in observing how our existing preachers in our local church do their preaching following the outline that Stanley recommends.
Ginger Harrington
As a speaker and author, it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the amount of information you want to share when researching a topic. Andy Stanley simplifies the process with a relational outline focused on a single point rather than a traditional point-driven, informational outline. This book is full of helpful explanations and tips to simplify content and engage audiences from the introduction to the closing. I found this book to be extremely helpful.
Tom Kristoffer Olsen
This book is a great book not only to read/listen to, but to study and incorporate into your communication. I loved the beginning. It offered a remarkable way to memorize the points presented. Also to have a more detailed explanation along with examples from Stanley's experiences in part two really help.
REREAD!
Jan Anne
9/15 // Although the first 1/3 of this book is horrible, it then sets out a solid plan for communication that is worth the try. I like his idea of a one point message, I disliked how he slights in his theology where it is unnecessary, maybe it is to please the home crowd. Overall it does what it sets out to do.
Lisa Lewton
Perhaps my expectations were not on target. I was hoping the book would have more helpful and practical insights around communication outside of preaching. The book is more wordy than necessary, which is counter-intuitive to good communication.
Preaching Styles/personality 1 4 Jun 10, 2014 07:23AM
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Courageous Leadership
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • Teaching to Change Lives: Seven Proven Ways to Make Your Teaching Come Alive
  • Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism
  • Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church
  • Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture: The Application of Biblical Theology to Expository Preaching
  • Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today
Andy Stanley is the senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Buckhead Church, and Browns Bridge Community Church. He also founded North Point Ministries, which is a worldwide Christian organization.
“So what do you do when you are stuck?

The first thing I do when I am stuck is pray. But I’m not talking about a quick, Help me Lord, Sunday’s a comin’ prayer. When I get stuck I get up from my desk to head for my closet. Literally. If I‘m at the office I go over to a corner that I have deemed my closet away from home. I get on my knees and remind God that this was not my idea, it was His…

None of this is new information to God…

Then I ask God to show me if there is something He wants to say to prepare me for what He wants me to communicate to our congregation. I surrender my ideas, my outline and my topic. Then I just stay in that quiet place until God quiets my heart…

Many times I will have a breakthrough thought or idea that brings clarity to my message. . .

Like you, I am simply a mouthpiece. Getting stuck is one way God keeps me ever conscious of that fact.”
26 likes
“Preaching is not talking to people about the Bible; it is talking to people about themselves from the Bible.” 5 likes