Start by marking “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #3)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  391,221 ratings  ·  6,786 reviews
NARNIA . . . the world of wicked dragons and magic spells, where the very best is brought out of even the worst people, where anything can happen (and most often does) . . . and where the adventure begins. The Dawn Treader is the first ship Narnia has seen in centuries. King Caspian has built it for his voyage to find the seven lords, good men whom his evil uncle Miraz ban ...more
Paperback, Full-Color Collector's Edition, 248 pages
Published August 22nd 2000 by HarperCollins (first published September 15th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, please sign up.
Peter Yoder The recent film actually restructures the plot from the book a great deal and introduces a lot of new material in an effort to make it more "exciting"…moreThe recent film actually restructures the plot from the book a great deal and introduces a lot of new material in an effort to make it more "exciting". The result is, you kind of lose the character arc that is the central tenant of the book in exchange for a more generic, unoriginal mess that I can't recommend (and have a hard time sitting through). The book, however, is one of my favorites, precisely because it's about the character's evolution through a journey of discovery, rather than heavy-handed plot devices.(less)
Jens Raab The answer to this very good question is quite simple: there is no fixed relation between the passing of time on Earth and Narnia.
Lewis addresses this…more
Lewis addresses this very issue in the first chapter of "Voyage":
'Narnian time flows differently from ours. If you spent a hundred years in Narnia, you would still come back to our world at the very same hour of the very same day on which you left. And then, if you went back to Narnia after spending a week here, you might find that a thousand Narnian years had passed, or only a day, or no time at all. You never know till you get there.'

SPOILERS for "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", "Prince Caspian" and "The Silver Chair" from here on!

Actually, this fact is already obvious in "Prince Caspian" where towards the end of the novel we learn about the origin of the Telmarine people. Descended from shipwrecked pirates in the South Sea, they came to Telmar even long before the 100-year reign of the White Witch over Narnia. It is not clear exactly when this group of shipwrecked pirates that were to become the Telmarines came to Telmar. It could be centuries ago but it is sure that a good amount of time must have passed because on this island 'the race of those pirates who first found it has died out, and it is without inhabitants'. So, while in our world many decades or even centuries have passed, the advent of the Telmarines certainly does not date tens or hundreds of thousands of years back in the Narnian world, which one would expect if the same relation of passing of time applied to the pirates than to the Pevensie kids.

Also remember that Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy reigned decades as kings and queens of Narnia in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" and yet when they return to our world at the end of this novel they step out of the wardrobe just instances, not days, after they entered it because they can still hear the visitors outside the room.

This pattern is upheld in later novels. When Eustace and Jill get to Narnia, Eustace's previous adventure on the Dawn Treader has happened just one school term earlier but in Narnia seventy years have passed.

So, Lewis sticks to his statement made in "Voyage": you can never be sure how much time has passed in Narnia.
While this is convenient for him as an author, providing him with liberties of storytelling, it also adds an element of suspense to the reader because you can never know when the next adventure will happen in the Narnian timeline! :-)(less)

·  391,221 ratings  ·  6,786 reviews

Start your review of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
Patrick
It feels odd to mark this book as anything less than five stars. It was a huge part of my childhood.

What's more, this book is part of the reason I'm a decent public speaker these days. I joined forensics because this was the book that was being used for extemporaneous reading. (I didn't even know what forensics was when I started, just that I liked the book.)

And there are things I like here. Good things. It's a fun adventure story. There are cool settings. Action. Tension. The different nature o
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.
My absolute favorite quote in the entire book.

In the latest installment, Lucy, Edmund and their cousin (Eustace) were having a bit of a tiff when they were suddenly pulled into a ship painting. (Apparently, you can get to Narnia just about any which way.)

They land on Prince King Caspian's ship, where we meet almost an entirely new cast of characters setting sail to find the seven lost lords of Narnia.
“Do you mean t
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3), C.S. Lewis

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a high fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis, published by Geoffrey Bles in 1952.

The Voyage features a second return to the Narnia world, about three years later in Narnia and one year later in England, by Edmund and Lucy Pevensie, the younger two of the four English children featured in the first two books.

Prince Caspian is now King Caspian X. He leads a sea voyage to the eastern end of
P
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
“Adventures are never fun while you're having them.”

The pace of this book was kind of slow for me, I spent seven days for the first half of this book. Then when the adventure comes, everything just gets better and better. I enjoyed how The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe vibes, even though it reminded me of some parts of Pirates of the Caribbean.

“One of the most cowardly things ordinary people do is to shut their eyes to facts.”

The ideas were flowi
Adrian
For some reason I enjoyed this the most of all the chronicles so far. It was I felt the "best" story, certainly (for some reason) the most emotional. Although there were few talking animals compared to all the previous books, there was the glorious Reepicheep, and he just steals the show.
The tension builds all the way through as Prince Caspian aided by Lucy, Edmund and (useless) Eustace , together with his loyal crew and Reepicheep hunt the seven Lords banished by Caspian's evil Uncle Miraz..
Wit
Dannii Elle
This is my fourth journey into the fantastical lands of Narnia, as I have chosen to read the series in chronological rather than publication order.

This started rather poignantly for me, as the story opens with two of the Pevensie siblings returning to Narnia, with their cousin Eustace in tow. Without the elder Pevensie children I initially felt like some of the earlier allure was lost for me, as it acted as a reminder that we all reach an age where we grow up and magic refuses to become a possib
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
"Please, Aslan" said Lucy, "what do you call soon?"
"I call all times soon", said Aslan

*note: a review of this whole series is up on my channel!

I am reading this series in publication order (yes, I know, I am weird), which means this was book number three for me. Also, I haven't read it as a kid, so this is my first experience with this classic. I liked this one more than number two (Prince Caspian), and this might very well be my favourite book so far. I
Kellyn Roth
My BFF thinks this book is boring ... but I disagree. I really love it. All of the little islands they visit hold an amazing story. I just can't believe the movie wrecked this beautiful adventure so!

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Mariel
Nov 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: star witness
Recommended to Mariel by: that teenage feeling
I knew that the new film version of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was going to be bad. I did not know that it was going to be that retarded that I'd question my faith in my own taste. (Not that I don't like retarded stuff. But boring too? Ouch.) Was the book that bad? I don't remember all of it. It's been years since I've read it. Lauren, you're never picking the movie ever again.

A video game version of the movie would be better than the movie. At least it would be more difficult! What the fuck
Sophia Triad
Time for a Christmassy reread :)

Review later
Lazaros
Having read the first book back in Christmas and feeling confused about the reading order I'll say that this was a very enjoyable and easy to read children's book. I'm still struggling to find out who the reading order of Narnia is. I've seen that this is either the 2nd or the 5th book but then again I've seen it being named the 3rd book. I'm just going to read it however I want and hope it'll all be fine. At least, I don't there was any missing detail from the book, so that must be a good thing ...more
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
This book was and one of my favorites in the series and it contains one of my favorite fantasy scenes in the entire world of fantasy.

Seriously, that scene was one I loved to reenact at every beach and pool. As recent as 2018. I am not ashamed to admit it. It's so much fun.

Of all the trips into Narnia, it's definitely the best.

Anywho, about the rest of the book. I loved the introduction of Eustace and although his character arc was a bit contrived, I still enjoyed it.

As for the biblical allegor
R.J. Rodda
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
Such a rich fantasy adventure full of unforgettable episodes - a boy-dragon, a Midas pool, invisible enemies, little Sea people, a fearless mouse, an enchanted table, the island where dreams come true and more. And above all Aslan. Truly a pleasure to read to my young children.

The most unforgettable scene in this (and so worth remembering) is when Lucy magically overhears her friend gossiping about her and how that irrevocably changes their relationship - a thought-provoking reminder of the effe
Michelle
Isnt growing up a drag, not only do you have to trade in a 3PM school day finish for a 5PM work day finish you also get too old to enter Narnia. I call age discrimination!

I'll be interested to see how the last two books of this series go without our four base characters. Peter, Susan, Edmond and Lucy, it been the fabbiest hanging out with you guys. Alas, you get old and I'm still eligible to enter Narnia, is there no justice?

Enjoyed riding the waves in this book, by jove we had an adventure!

3 s
Calista
I read this as a child. The end of this book with it's end of the earth myth expanded my mind back then. I really enjoyed Reepicheep. He was unexpected. The two older children- Peter and Susan were not in this one and I thought that was sad, but it still works out. This is a good series and a quick read.
Shruti
Jun 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-series
Gosh, I just wanted the voyage to end.
Elaina
This is probably my favorite so far out of the series!! :D I LOVE THESE CHARACTERS SO MUCH!! lol All the adventures they went on, and Eustace’s gradual character development were just so good…it took me a little longer to get through this than I would have liked because of how busy I’ve been, but it was so worth it and I’m glad I finally got the chance to read it! The ending though gave me chills…sort of in a good way I guess haha I almost started tearing up, but I was outside surrounded by peop ...more
Michael Sorbello
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, book-reviews
My favorite book of the series. I generally had very mixed feelings about every other book in the series but all of the problems I had with the others are completely absent from this book. It's fun and exciting, the characters have much more depth and the pacing and setting are handled far better. Lucy is my favorite of the bunch.
Cindy Rollins
One of the best. From entering Narnia through a painting to Eustace Scrubb deserving his name, to the Island where dreams come true and Reepicheep the brave (and annoying) mouse, this simple book is chockful of itself being the 'right kind of book' and then some.
Daniel
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
The strongest of the three "Chronicles of Narnia" books I've read so far, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" opens with a wonderful first line: "There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it." Eustace, a cousin to the four Pevensie children, who the first two books focused on, is the designated asshole in this entry, taking up the mantle carried by Edmund in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and Susan in "Prince Caspian."

I've complained about this trope in my other
Ashley Marie
The ending felt extremely abrupt after the rest of the story. I'm hoping hoping hoping we see Reepicheep again. I love that Mouse. Derek Jacobi's narration was good although I much prefer Eddie Izzard's Reepicheep vocal to a Mickey Mouse derivative; Reep is NOT Mickey.
Piyangie
In the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, King Caspian of Narnia takes to sea, sailing eastward to find the seven lords who were sent to eastern islands years ago by Miraz. Lucy and Edmund are at the present staying with their aunt and uncle and their intolerable cousin, Eustace. While admiring a picture of a sailing ship in Lucy's bedroom, they find them drawn in to the picture and transported in to Narnian waters right along with their whinny cousin.

It was a pleasant adventure story to read. The voya
Madeline
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Narnia book so far. Lucy, Edmund, and their cousin ("called Eustace Clarence Stubb, and he almost deserved it") get accidentally transported onto King Caspian's ship, which is starting a journey to the eastern sea. The book is mostly just little episodes where they visit different islands, all of which are very different and very interesting. As I drew closer to the end of the book, I was fully prepared to give it five stars. BUT THEN came the ending. Specifically, one thing Aslan to ...more
Maggie Stiefvater
I love the whole Narnia series, but this was my favorite. Lovely, sad, and whimsical. C. S. Lewis at his finest.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favorite books -- not every book I read. Consider a novel's presence on my Goodreads bookshelf as a hearty endorsement. I can't believe I just said "hearty." It sounds like a stew.****
MissBecka
I loved how much time I got with Reepicheep in this installment!!!
Could have done without that jerk Eustace.
It did have dragons, a sea serpent, sea horses and a cutie patootie lamb!
This was a win for me, though (view spoiler)
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Loved. The Eustace transformation scene is just the BEST. Pretty much any scene with Aslan.
Lydia Therese
**2nd Review (2020, 3rd Re-read)**
I love this book. It's magical and adventurous and has a story of redemption woven throughout. I guess that describes all the Narnia books, but I love the setting and all the different islands they discover in this book. It's a fun time to read about them.

*1st Review (2018, 2nd Re-read)**

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis is the third book in The Chronicles of Narnia.

This book was great. First of all, it has Eustace Scrubb in it. I LOVE Eustace. Seco
Joe
May 24, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. This is the least compelling of the first 3 Narnia books. Narnia is less fun when it directly deals with politics. There are probably too many characters to connect with all of them and Eustace is insufferable.
Olivier Delaye
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was listening to this the other day walking down the streets of Paris when it became apparent to me that The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is not only an amazing Fantasy story but also proof that even the most obnoxious and seemingly irredeemable people can still be saved and reminded of what life is all about: love, tolerance, friendship, faith, understanding, and of course adventure and discoveries. Under its veneer of simplicity, this book is all that and more. Much more. The Narnia Chronicles ...more
Ashley Daviau
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had kind of forgotten how easy it is to get lost in this series. I cracked open this book and before I knew it it was already over and I was longing for more. These books make me want to devour them all in one sitting but I’m trying to take it slow this time around. It’s torture in a way but it’s also great because I get to travel back to my childhood in between other reads! That being said, this is one of my favourites out of the series and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it again!

• The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Silver Chair (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Graphic Novel
  • The Subtle Knife  (His Dark Materials, #2)

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)