Start by marking “So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week” as Want to Read:
So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week

So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week

A New York Times' bestselling author's guide to quick and healthy everyday mealsAs weekly host of the Food Network's Healthy Appetite, Ellie Krieger is known for creating light and healthy dishes that taste great and are easy enough for the busiest people to prepare. Now, Ellie has put together a collection of meal solutions for those of us who love food and want to eat we ...more
Published October 9th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about So Easy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Easy

Steven Peterson
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ellie Krieger's "The Food You Crave" is a terrific cookbook. I enjoyed a number of menus therein. This is a worthy addition to her body of work. One of the pluses of a Krieger book is her dual skill set--her ability to create tasty recipes coupled with her knowledge of nutrition.

Some quotations from her Introduction indicate her approach (Pages 10-12): "If you love food and want to eat well but struggle making it happen with life's hectic pace, keep reading. . .Every recipe here hits the delicio
Deb
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
So far I have just cooked two recipes from the book: Roasted Tomato and Black Bean Soup with Avocado-Mango Salad but it is full of Krieger's usual delicious and healthy recipes.

Link to recipes made: (http://kahakaikitchen.blogspot.com/20...)

Joshua
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Organized by meal type and time vs. no time. The ingredient list is varied, but not as extensive as most healthy cookbooks, so it's manageable. If the list scares you, don't be detoured. Many ingredients can be substituted for a similar ingredient without altering the final product too much, such as quinoa for couscous.

The food isn't fussy and the flavors still shine.

This is one of my favorite cookbooks. Most books only give me a few recipes. This one has several that I love and many more I'm so
Martha
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Third book of hers this month. The roasted tomato and black bean soup was my favorite from this book. She paired it with an avocado-mango salad that was bright, easy and cooling with the spicy entrée. Many of the recipes are paired this way for new cooks to finish a complete meal. Some familiar recipes with a new twist or pared down preparation. Simple desserts make a big impact. Quick and healthy on-the-run breakfast surprises. A good gift book for its variety and ease.
Donna
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yummy, easy food... what more can a girl ask for? :D
Beka
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I definitely appreciate her healthy eating philosophy, but unfortunately none of the recipes stood out to me.
Ramona
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This has to be one of my favorite cookbook. Gotten a few recipes out this one. Can not wait to try them. Especially, the smoothie.
Laurel
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This caught my attention when I was browsing the cookbook section of the library. Easy, luscious, and healthy- that's my ideal for every meal. I've never seen Ellie Krieger, or Food Network, for that matter, but this looked promising. I read reviews, and there were comments about the recipes being complicated etc. I recommend reading the introduction and chapter headings before choosing any recipes. She explains that days have different paces, and if you match the recipe with the day, it will wo ...more
Kaylyn
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Ellie Krieger- this book comes off the shelf regularly & every time I make any of the recipes they come out delicious! I love her "food style"- it's fresh, & healthy without being "fussy!" Her recipes would honestly fit into a variety of "on trend" food diets- paleo, gf, whole 30 etc- she just does it in a way that comes naturally & isn't intimidating! The flavor combos are off the charts & you'll find yourself feeling very accomplished & proud of your results in the k ...more
Ashley Katsuyama
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Firstly, Ellie Krieger just makes me want to hug her. I swear she comes off as one of the most genuine and sweet people, like you know she truly cares that you are eating good and delicious foods. Her recipes are straight forward and easy, with a good mix of different cuisines and preparations. Unfortunately, not many of them appealed to me enough to try and make them. Admittedly, I'm not one for "healthy" eating, but I didn't walk away from this cookbook with more than a handful of recipes to t ...more
Dana
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, cookbooks
The recipes in this cookbook are broken up into breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert; and each meal is further divided in to one chapter devoted to quick, on the run, recipes, and one for more leisurely cooking. I really liked this set up, as my own life requires quick meals during the week, but I enjoy spending more time in the kitchen on weekends.

You can read my review at Rantings of a Bookworm Couch Potato.
Dixie Diamond
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Krieger's recipes aren't entirely my thing, but I like her approach: Lightening manageable everyday meals without resorting to fake foods, expensive specialty ingredients, or unsatisfying substitutes.

She does not write diet cookbooks. If you're looking for low-carb or brutally low-fat, this isn't it. However, the calorie counts are not unreasonable and the serving sizes, I think, are realistic (instead of cheating by making them small so calorie counts seem lower).
Renee
Jul 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Another great cookbook from Ellie Krieger, a woman I respect for making it on a network that I love, but let's face it, does not focus on healthy cooking. I especially appreciate the simple ideas for packed lunches and quick dinners. Cooking this healthy is still new to me and the techniques are not second nature yet, so even simple recipes are helpful, especially when there is little time for meal prep.
Cynthia
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook! I have been using recipes from this book every night for the past couple of weeks. Initially I just wanted to eat healthier and control caloric content for dinner, but the added bonus is that my family loves everything I've made so far (with the exception of the littlest, but he only loves pasta anyway:). I've been so pleasantly surprised and would recommend this book to anyone.
Tricia
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! I love Ellie's approach to food. She has the mentality that you can eat anything in moderation. It is also nice that the nutritional info is listed with each recipe. I have her other cookbook The Food You Crave and have used it several times. I plan on making some recipes from So Easy this week!
Mariya
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Great cookbook! I like Ellie Krieger's style for her passion around delicious and healthy meals. I would recommend though to get your pantry and fridge ready for this book. My family appreciates almost every meal made according to "So Easy" recipe. I say "almost" because there is still quite a long list to go and indulge :)
Erika Nerdypants
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and will try to get my own copy. It turns boring, often fat and calorie laden foods into delicious creations, using simple healthy ingredients. I tried several of the recipes, and was impressed. Love the apple pancakes with nutty topping, and the broccoli salad was to die for. It used Greek yogurt, which I had never tried before, and all I can say is, move over mayo!
Alicia Ruggieri
What a great cookbook for those of us who like to eat healthily and deliciously, but don't have a huge amount of time or money to spend on doing that! Ellie gives both *really* quick and more leisurely options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including what has become my favorite way to make tuna fish! Love this -- highly recommend.
Angela
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't own this title, but I will and that should be a perfect indication of how helpful, fun and fantastic this cookbook is. E. Krieger is thorough and very informative and I love every recipe I had the pleasure to try. My pizza loving, high-caloric intake husband will even try her dishes and has admitted to liking them, and if that isn't an endorsement, I don't know...
C
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Great, simple cookbook with a nicely balanced selection of healthy foods.

We especially loved the White Turkey Chili - that one has become a staple in our house. I've made it for pot lucks and now know to make a second batch so we can have some - it disappears fast.

The Dutch Baby Pancake with Peach Compote was a keeper, too - the pancake is easy to make and makes a few servings.
Stacy
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Finally a cookbook that is, as it title says, "So Easy." I love that there is a nutrition index next to every meal, to show you what you are eating, the calories and the nutrients and what not. Love this!
Eileen
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The recipes look "so easy", tasty and different. I even went out and bought quinoa in order to make a couple of the recipes. There are quite a few recipes from this book that I want to try. Can't wait to get cookin'!
kk
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Lots of great healthy ideas. All of the recipes I used were time consuming. Fast, easy, nutritious and delicious. Most recipes contain simple items. You can use her recipes as is or tweak them to your own taste.
Mara
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Great recipes, the layout is similar to her previous cookbook, The Food You Crave. I just wish there were more vegetarian recipes in it. There seemed to be more vegetarian recipes in The Food You Crave. I highly recommend any Ellie Krieger cookbook. She's the best!
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: healthy-eating
I LOVE Ellie Krieger!! Fresh, quick, healthy, kid friendly.
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
wish my family would eat some of these recipes
Shirley
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of great recipes. This one I will use often.
Sharla
Sep 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cooking
I only want to try a couple smoothie recipes.
Penny
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The recipes are nutritious but they are still flavorful and filling.
Lisa
Feb 01, 2011 marked it as to-read
Learned of this on the Today Show 01.31.11. Recipes looked amazing and easy! Must check out.
Basil-garlic Shrimp pg. 152 1 1 Jul 08, 2017 11:08AM

• Our Best Bites: Mormon Moms in the Kitchen
  • Rachael Ray's Kitchen Companion: More Than 200 All-New 30-Minute Recipes and More
  • Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California
  • The Food Matters Cookbook: 500 Revolutionary Recipes for Better Living
  • Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast Weeknight Meals: Over 280 Incredible Supper Solutions
  • The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook: Great-Tasting Recipes that Keep You Lean!
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature's Most Amazing Foods
  • The Herbfarm Cookbook
  • The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2007: The Year's Best Recipes, Equipment Reviews, and Tastings
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Grilled Cheese Please!: 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana
New York Times best-selling author and registered dietitian ELLIE KRIEGER was the host of Food Network’s Healthy Appetite, which also aired on the Cooking Channel. She regularly contributes to CNN and USA Today, and appears often on national morning shows.