Start by marking “Oman” as Want to Read:

(Cultures of the World)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Celebrates the diversity of life through the exploration of cultures around the world.
Published January 1st 2009 by Cavendish Square Publishing (first published December 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Oman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oman

Prof. Mohamed  Shareef
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: oman-and-muscat
Biladi Shuhoom is a small village with only a few hundreds of people. There is a Juma mosque but Friday prayer is a new thing here as the mosque is of recent origin. Formerly, it was customary to have the noon-time prayer during Fridays as the long trip to the next village of Mokniyath was a difficult exercise.
Even now, my school, the Zaid bin Al—Kathab senior secondary school, is the only building here showing off the green, red and white national flag. Unlike in India, all government establish
Kathleen
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I was reading The Turtle of Oman, by Naomi Shihab Nye, when it occurred to me that I knew absolutely nothing about Oman, including where it was. So when I next went to work I picked up a children's book about the country, to give me a decent grounding. This is one of a series I'm particularly fond of, called Enchantment of the World, which are generally informative and unbiased.

I can't quite say that about Oman (the book)? I mean, it's good, it's informative and it covers in reasonable detail t
J.M. Hushour
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've always been fascinated by Oman ever since someone who grew up there described it to me as a modernized coastland with witch-ridden, pagan influenced hinterlands, thus presenting quite the dichotomy. I was going to forego reading histories of the individual Middle East countries in my quest to read a history of every country in the world, but, finding that I could dredge up little about Oman from memory, I figured, why not?
This book is just fine. It's part of a series for high-schoolers (?)
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-studies
Quite unbiased in its approach to the country. Sparked an interest in one of my older children to read more about Sultan Qaboos.
Shoaib Mohammed
Oct 27, 2016
Thomas
Feb 23, 2011
Dr.manara
Dec 10, 2014
elaine coughlan
rated it did not like it
Feb 18, 2017
Ahmed
Apr 22, 2017
Hisham
Jul 13, 2018

David has written--and published--more than 70 books, primarily nonfiction in American history and biography; there have also been about 20 studies of other cultures, including Taiwan, Rwanda, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and the United Arab Emirates. While most of his books have been for young-adult readers, many have b

Cultures of the World (1 - 10 of 142 books)
  • Canada