Start by marking “The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)

The Silver Chair

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #4)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  213,812 ratings  ·  4,445 reviews
Jill and Eustace must rescue the Prince from the evil Witch.

NARNIA...where owls are wise, where some of the giants like to snack on humans, where a prince is put under an evil spell...and where the adventure begins.

Eustace and Jill escape from the bullies at school through a strange door in the wall, which, for once, is unlocked. It leads to the open moor...or does it? Onc
Published January 2nd 2008 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Chair, please sign up.
Debbie The Silver Chair was the fourth book in the series to originally be published, as they were not written in the chronological reading order which was…moreThe Silver Chair was the fourth book in the series to originally be published, as they were not written in the chronological reading order which was afterwards intended. The reading order places this book sixth out of the seven books. Goodreads is obviously going with the publication order.(less)

·  213,812 ratings  ·  4,445 reviews

Patrick
I started reading this with my boy ages ago, but I never got around to marking it as finished here on Goodreads.

Generally speaking, I enjoyed reading him the book, and he liked hearing it. I have a nostalgia for the Narnia Chronicles, too. And that makes these books a little sweeter for me.

My younger boy (age 3.5 at the time of reading) enjoyed it too. Especially some of the more action-oriented scenes, and the stuff underground.
Deborah Markus
Ah, the strange joys of Narnia! How is a middle-aged feminist nonbeliever supposed to feel about this contradictory volume?

Pro: Jill Pole is a strong, active, fun, funny, vigorous girl that any reader, male or female, will be happy to have as a protagonist.

Con: Jill's old enough to be active, but young enough not to be a sexual being. Which is clearly the only reason Lewis is comfortable having her around, because:

Con: Once again, Lewis only allows grown women as characters when they're scary,
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4), C. S. Lewis
The Silver Chair is a children's fantasy novel by C. S. Lewis, published by Geoffrey Bles in 1953. It was the fourth published of seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia (1950–1956); it is volume six in recent editions, which are sequenced according to Narnian history.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: یکی از روزهای سال 2002 میلادی
عنوان: ماجراهای نارنیا 4: صندلی نقره ای جادویی؛ نویسنده: سی.اس. لوئیس؛ مترجم: شهناز انوشیروانی؛ تهران، محیط، 1376؛ در 184 ص؛
Abbie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe it took me so long to read this one!! SO GOOD. also where is the movie
Heather
I'm just going to give a generic opinion of the whole series.

We love them.

The end.

Okay, so maybe I'll tell you that we read them outloud to the kids almost 2 years ago. So they were 5 going on 6 and 2. They all loved them and followed the plot and talked about the characters during their play.

We're re-reading them again (now ages 8, 4 and 2) and they're loving them even more than the first time. All I hear, all day long is "For Narnia" and then they rush through the house, swords drawn. They hav
Adrian
Probably the weakest so far, but scraped 4 stars and still fun

More tomorrow :)

Right I have been thinking about this review all day. It was the weakest of the books so far with what felt almost like a padded out story and I was thinking it would be a 3 star read. That said i didn't bank on Puddleglum, he was the real star of the book and added enough to make me give it 4 stars.

The book features the Pevensie's cousin Eustace, now a Narnian regular and a "jolly good chap" with a schoolfriend of hi
Piyangie
The Silver Chair is a fascinating adventure story of the Chronicles of Narnia. After my disappointment over The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I was a little apprehensive as to how I would receive it. But all my fears were groundless as the story held my interest from the first chapter.

For the first time, we don't meet the Pevensies. Instead we meet Eustace, returned to Narnia with Jill Pole, a school friend of his. Although one misses Pevensies, the characters of Eustace and Jill who replace them
Daniella
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy and lovers of a good Quest story.
Finally, a proper novel! Thank you, Mr. Lewis. Sixth time's the charm, eh?

The Silver Chair is my favorite out of all the Narnia books. Not only does it have all the usual elements of this wonderful, rich fantasy world Lewis created, but the characters are better, at least in my opinion, the story feels less contrived, and it has the added benefit of being a proper novel. That is to say, it has: a) an actual plot; b) an identifiable climactic point; and c) a clear, concise denouement. For once, I
Ms. Smartarse
C.S. Lewis and I are never going to see eye to eye. First, because I've yet to feel any desire to participate in a seance, and second, I prefer my manipulative (religious) propaganda to be much more subtle in nature.

And yet, despite all the above, I can't help but keep coming back to these books. What can I say? The appeal of a magical world in a wardrobe is irresistible. Yes, I knooooow it's not actually inside the wardrobe, yadda yadda yadda...

Narnia business

I loved reading about the latest developments in
Olivia
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
PUDDLEGLUUUMMMMM. <3

I forgot how much I love him.

"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

MY SOUL IS FEELING THINGS. <333

(Also, these two bits were particularly priceless. xD

And in the inquiry all sorts of things about Experiment House came out, and about ten people got expelled. After that, the Head's friends saw that the Head was no use as a Head, so they made her an Inspector to interf
Erin
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, series
The 6th book in the Chronicles of Narnia, Eustace from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is back and this time he brings along a schoolmate, Jill Pole to adventure in Narnia. I always had the impression that this particular book was scary or the darkest of the series. Blame it on the BBC series that I saw on YTV as a kid.I thought the Queen was going to be as dark and mean as the one from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. However, I felt it was a bit boring.
Cindy Rollins
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best. Puddleglum is, perhaps, my favorite Narnian character of all time.
Ashley Daviau
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series so much. No matter how many times I read it, I never get tired of it! And each time I read it, it’s like I’m discovering Narnia for the first time again. This book is one of my favourites out of the series, I love the adventures our heroes go through to save the lost prince and return him to his rightful place. It allows us a look at a different part of the world of Narnia and it truly is magical!
P
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics

Such an epic ending ! In this book, Eustace and Jill travel back to Narnia. Jill meets Aslan and she's assigned to find the long-lost prince, there're signs to remember while they're wandering into the dangerous land. But Jill forgets all things Aslan tells her, that makes they lost themself in the giant city. They must find a way out.

I found out that this book has the slow beginning, but when Eustace, Jill and Puddleglum travel to the Underworld, it gets better. IMO, The Silver Chair i
Dannii Elle
This is my sixth journey into the fantastical lands of Narnia, as I have chosen to read the series in chronological rather than publication order.

Eustace Stubb and Jill Pole manage to escape the bullies of their own world and enter into the fantastical lands of Narnia. Borne on a lion's breath they descend and discover that the lands are once again in turmoil. Young Prince Rilian is missing and old King Caspian is on his death bed, with no heir to precede him. It is up to the duo, along with the
MissBecka
Ugh, Eustace. This book did nothing to change my perspective on him.
I might actually dislike him more now since he ruined this book for me.
Not even Puddleglum could save the book from Eustace for me.
Nikki
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
The last two books are definitely not in line for my favourites. There are various factors -- one of which is simply that I don't like seeing Narnia come to an end! But the main one is that I don't find Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum that compelling as main characters. Or Rillian, for that matter, even though he's Caspian's son. They're quite realistic and human, and lack the nobility that Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy have, I think. Perhaps too realistic. I want to kick Jill a lot of the time for ...more
Peter
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
GoodReads/Amazon management is censoring reviews from the sight of their "community". Criticism of the acquisition of GoodReads by Amazon results in the summary disappearance of the review from the book listing, without informing the reviewer. This review has therefore been replaced. Copies of the complete version of this review have therefore been posted to the following sites:

Helen Power
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another great instalment in the Chronicles of Narnia! I think Puddleglum is quite possibly the best character ever created. I would love to see a series starring him. His attitude is like a bad-ass Eeyore.
Jay Kennedy
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite Chronicle of Narnia books.
Ann
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I felt that The Silver Chair gave better character arcs to the "son and daughter of Adam and Eve" than some of the other Narnia books. The focus of the book seemed to be shared between the children, Eustace and Jill, as well as the quest - instead of focusing on the quest alone. Also, the Marsh-wiggle is a well drawn character and pretty unique from Lewis' other personalities in Narnia.
Like the other books in the series, this one continues to touch the surface of the adventures and explanations
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I'm getting a smidge frustrated that we are starting to follow the side characters from other Narnia novels. I want more Lucy! I want more Peter!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter
Corinna
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I adore C.S. Lewis, Narnia, and especially The Silver Chair. This contends for my favorite Narnia installment along with The Last Battle. Another re-read was long over-due!
Anne Hamilton
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, e, threshold
Once upon a time, about forty years ago, I read the entire series of The Chronicles of Narnia in a single week. Way back then, I would probably given The Silver Chair two stars. But only because I was feeling generous and I was still in the halo of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Some time in the interim, The Silver Chair moved from the bottom of my ratings to the top. And I do mean the very top. Today I'd give it more than five stars, if I could. Its rise has been steady; modest at first, it eve
Rosalie
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love Lewis's descriptions and creativity and the way he weaves stories together, and The Silver Chair is another shining example of his giftedness.

It's a sad sort of story to read at times because Narnia is changing once again and old friends are gone or dead or dying. There's just a strange thread of grief wound through it that's hard to describe, this sense that all this sadness is not the way it's supposed to be.

But the last chapter is called The Healing of Harms, and I cried while rea
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
This was a re-read and I own a physical copy of the entire series!

DISCLAIMER: I loved Puddleglum!

On the other hand, The Silver Chair didn't quite live up to my expectations. It follows Eustace from the previous book in the series and a classmate called Jill. To escape a group of bullies, they venture outside of their school and arrive back into the world of Narnia. Their quest is to save a Prince from impending danger! Although I enjoyed the world-building, I found the pacing to be quite slow an
Jesica
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another one year in London and about 50 years in Narnia. Eustace Scrubb was comforting his friend, Jill Pole when the kid that bullied Jill came. They ran to hide and stumbled into another world where Eustace fell to a cliff but saved by Aslan. The two of them were then sent to Narnia to find the missing Prince Rillian, son of Caspian X and the heir of Narnia throne.

Eustace and Jill is my favorite pair in Narnia series. I especially love their adventures in this book because their innocence. Whi
R.J. Rodda
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, christian
A pleasure to read this to my kids. Arguably my favourite Narnia book! And isn't this every bullied child's dream - to escape the bullies and be whisked away to a magical land?
Els
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. As always. Wish I was small and simplistic again, though, so that I wouldn't constantly mentally add to Lewis' writing to make it more descriptive and/or profound.

This is a children's book, Seneca. Relax. You got the point when you were younger.

And sometimes, simplicity is best.
Stella❤️ 孔凡星
I remember that when I was little, I loved this movie. I was so excited to read this book but when I went to search up this movie online, I realized IT DOESNT EXIST. As in, they never made a movie version of this book. But when reading the book, it seemed so eerily familiar to the point where I’m confused beyond relief.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Silver Chair [Oct 26, 2018] 26 12 Nov 01, 2018 09:51AM
Who should play Jill Pole? 39 260 Aug 16, 2018 12:33AM
Goodreads Librari...: The Silver Chair 7 36 Mar 27, 2017 03:41PM
FOR NARNIA: The Silver Chair book 4 12 Sep 08, 2016 09:24AM
Movie "Will be done right" 3 56 Jul 31, 2015 10:26PM
The Chronicles of...: The waiting has come to an end... 5 30 Jul 29, 2015 09:14PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Princess and Curdie
  • The Castle of Llyr (The Chronicles of Prydain, #3)
  • Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume II
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • The Chestnut King (100 Cupboards, #3)
  • The Bones of Makaidos (Oracles of Fire, #4)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • The Tombs of Anak (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #3)

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
“Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.” 3556 likes
“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.” 3094 likes