Start by marking “The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)

The Silver Chair

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #4)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  238,586 ratings  ·  5,356 reviews
Jill and Eustace must rescue the Prince from the evil Witch.

NARNIA...where owls are wise, where some of the giants like to snack on humans, where a prince is put under an evil spell...and where the adventure begins.

Eustace and Jill escape from the bullies at school through a strange door in the wall, which, for once, is unlocked. It leads to the open moor...or does it? Onc
Published January 2nd 2008 by HarperCollins (first published September 7th 1953)

To ask other readers questions about The Silver Chair, please sign up.
Debbie The Silver Chair was the fourth book in the series to originally be published, as they were not written in the chronological reading order which was a…moreThe Silver Chair was the fourth book in the series to originally be published, as they were not written in the chronological reading order which was afterwards intended. The reading order places this book sixth out of the seven books. Goodreads is obviously going with the publication order.(less)

·  238,586 ratings  ·  5,356 reviews

Start your review of The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
Patrick
I started reading this with my boy ages ago, but I never got around to marking it as finished here on Goodreads.

Generally speaking, I enjoyed reading him the book, and he liked hearing it. I have a nostalgia for the Narnia Chronicles, too. And that makes these books a little sweeter for me.

My younger boy (age 3.5 at the time of reading) enjoyed it too. Especially some of the more action-oriented scenes, and the stuff underground.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4), C. S. Lewis

The Silver Chair is a children's fantasy novel by C. S. Lewis, published by Geoffrey Bles in 1953. It was the fourth published of seven novels in The Chronicles of Narnia (1950–1956); it is volume six in recent editions, which are sequenced according to Narnian history.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: یکی از روزهای سال 2002 میلادی

عنوان: ماجراهای نارنیا 4: صندلی نقره ای جادویی؛ نویسنده: سی.اس. لوئیس؛ مترجم: شهناز انوشیروانی؛ تهران، محیط، 1376؛ در 184ص؛
Deborah Markus
Ah, the strange joys of Narnia! How is a middle-aged feminist nonbeliever supposed to feel about this contradictory volume?

Pro: Jill Pole is a strong, active, fun, funny, vigorous girl that any reader, male or female, will be happy to have as a protagonist.

Con: Jill's old enough to be active, but young enough not to be a sexual being. Which is clearly the only reason Lewis is comfortable having her around, because:

Con: Once again, Lewis only allows grown women as characters when they're scary,
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you," said the Lion.”

I am reading this series for the first time as an adult, in publication order, so this for me was book number 4. I enjoyed it just like the others, definitely not a favourite even though I love C. S. Lewis's writing and I definitely recognize the value of this series as a classic and for the role it had in the development of the genre. As for this particular book, I truly really enjoyed only the chapter of the "S
Iben Frederiksen

In my current reread/ first time ever actually finishing the series, The Silver Chair is the first book in the series, that I did not read as a child or know the story of by seeing an adaptation. To my somewhat surprise, I very much enjoyed this addition to the series. Although I do miss the Pevensies as well as other characters from the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as well as Prince Caspian - I really liked following Eustace and Jill on their own cool adventure through Narnia - especially s
Adrian
Probably the weakest so far, but scraped 4 stars and still fun

More tomorrow :)

Right I have been thinking about this review all day. It was the weakest of the books so far with what felt almost like a padded out story and I was thinking it would be a 3 star read. That said i didn't bank on Puddleglum, he was the real star of the book and added enough to make me give it 4 stars.

The book features the Pevensie's cousin Eustace, now a Narnian regular and a "jolly good chap" with a schoolfriend of hi
Piyangie
The Silver Chair is a fascinating adventure story of the Chronicles of Narnia. After my disappointment over The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I was a little apprehensive as to how I would receive it. But all my fears were groundless as the story held my interest from the first chapter.

For the first time, we don't meet the Pevensies. Instead we meet Eustace, returned to Narnia with Jill Pole, a school friend of his. Although one misses Pevensies, the characters of Eustace and Jill who replace them
Cindy Rollins
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best. Puddleglum is, perhaps, my favorite Narnian character of all time.
Abbie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe it took me so long to read this one!! SO GOOD. also where is the movie
Heather
I'm just going to give a generic opinion of the whole series.

We love them.

The end.

Okay, so maybe I'll tell you that we read them outloud to the kids almost 2 years ago. So they were 5 going on 6 and 2. They all loved them and followed the plot and talked about the characters during their play.

We're re-reading them again (now ages 8, 4 and 2) and they're loving them even more than the first time. All I hear, all day long is "For Narnia" and then they rush through the house, swords drawn. They hav
Daniella
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy and lovers of a good Quest story.
Finally, a proper novel! Thank you, Mr. Lewis. Sixth time's the charm, eh?

The Silver Chair is my favorite out of all the Narnia books. Not only does it have all the usual elements of this wonderful, rich fantasy world Lewis created, but the characters are better, at least in my opinion, the story feels less contrived, and it has the added benefit of being a proper novel. That is to say, it has: a) an actual plot; b) an identifiable climactic point; and c) a clear, concise denouement. For once, I
Ms. Smartarse
C.S. Lewis and I are never going to see eye to eye. First, because I've yet to feel any desire to participate in a seance, and second, I prefer my manipulative (religious) propaganda to be much more subtle in nature.

And yet, despite all the above, I can't help but keep coming back to these books. What can I say? The appeal of a magical world in a wardrobe is irresistible. Yes, I knooooow it's not actually inside the wardrobe, yadda yadda yadda...

Narnia business

I loved reading about the latest developments in
Olivia
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
PUDDLEGLUUUMMMMM. <3

I forgot how much I love him.

"I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia."

MY SOUL IS FEELING THINGS. <333

(Also, these two bits were particularly priceless. xD

And in the inquiry all sorts of things about Experiment House came out, and about ten people got expelled. After that, the Head's friends saw that the Head was no use as a Head, so they made her an Inspector to interfer
Erin
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, series
The 6th book in the Chronicles of Narnia, Eustace from The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is back and this time he brings along a schoolmate, Jill Pole to adventure in Narnia. I always had the impression that this particular book was scary or the darkest of the series. Blame it on the BBC series that I saw on YTV as a kid.I thought the Queen was going to be as dark and mean as the one from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. However, I felt it was a bit boring.
Ashley Daviau
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series so much. No matter how many times I read it, I never get tired of it! And each time I read it, it’s like I’m discovering Narnia for the first time again. This book is one of my favourites out of the series, I love the adventures our heroes go through to save the lost prince and return him to his rightful place. It allows us a look at a different part of the world of Narnia and it truly is magical!
Michelle
The first narnia book without Lucy and while it was sad not to have Lucy there, Jill was fun!

The more I get into this reread the more I remember my imagination running wild reading these books the first time as a child. Talking lions and giants, what a world!

Looking forward to wrapping this up with the final book.
P
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics

Such an epic ending ! In this book, Eustace and Jill travel back to Narnia. Jill meets Aslan and she's assigned to find the long-lost prince, there're signs to remember while they're wandering into the dangerous land. But Jill forgets all things Aslan tells her, that makes they lost themself in the giant city. They must find a way out.

I found out that this book has the slow beginning, but when Eustace, Jill and Puddleglum travel to the Underworld, it gets better. IMO, The Silver Chair i
Doug
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my other favorite Narnia books, though not quite as high as The Magician's Nephew, The Horse and His Boy, and The Last Battle. I honestly love all of these books so much, with the exception of Prince Caspian, so it's really hard for me to truly rank the Narnia novels.

Lewis' The Silver Chair, the fourth published book in the series (and the way in which I believe the series should be read) is in many ways a very different and more grim version of the Narnia world.

Eustace returns after maki
Dannii Elle
This is my sixth journey into the fantastical lands of Narnia, as I have chosen to read the series in chronological rather than publication order.

Eustace Stubb and Jill Pole manage to escape the bullies of their own world and enter into the fantastical lands of Narnia. Borne on a lion's breath they descend and discover that the lands are once again in turmoil. Young Prince Rilian is missing and old King Caspian is on his death bed, with no heir to precede him. It is up to the duo, along with the
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I'm getting a smidge frustrated that we are starting to follow the side characters from other Narnia novels. I want more Lucy! I want more Peter!

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
MissBecka
Ugh, Eustace. This book did nothing to change my perspective on him.
I might actually dislike him more now since he ruined this book for me.
Not even Puddleglum could save the book from Eustace for me.
Nicky
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
The last two books are definitely not in line for my favourites. There are various factors -- one of which is simply that I don't like seeing Narnia come to an end! But the main one is that I don't find Jill, Eustace and Puddleglum that compelling as main characters. Or Rillian, for that matter, even though he's Caspian's son. They're quite realistic and human, and lack the nobility that Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy have, I think. Perhaps too realistic. I want to kick Jill a lot of the time for ...more
Helen Power
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another great instalment in the Chronicles of Narnia! I think Puddleglum is quite possibly the best character ever created. I would love to see a series starring him. His attitude is like a bad-ass Eeyore.
Jay Kennedy
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant, one of my favourite Chronicle of Narnia books.
Peter
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
GoodReads/Amazon management is censoring reviews from the sight of their "community". Criticism of the acquisition of GoodReads by Amazon results in the summary disappearance of the review from the book listing, without informing the reviewer. This review has therefore been replaced. Copies of the complete version of this review have therefore been posted to the following sites:

Ann
Jun 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I felt that The Silver Chair gave better character arcs to the "son and daughter of Adam and Eve" than some of the other Narnia books. The focus of the book seemed to be shared between the children, Eustace and Jill, as well as the quest - instead of focusing on the quest alone. Also, the Marsh-wiggle is a well drawn character and pretty unique from Lewis' other personalities in Narnia.
Like the other books in the series, this one continues to touch the surface of the adventures and explanations
Els
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-read time the umpteenth, removed by 8 months from Mrs. White's murderous composition classes: I LOVE THE WRITING STYLE. CANNOT BE IMPROVED.

Old review:
Loved it. As always. Wish I was small and simplistic again, though, so that I wouldn't constantly mentally add to Lewis' writing to make it more descriptive and/or profound.

This is a children's book, Els. Relax. You got the point when you were younger.

And sometimes, simplicity is best.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Honestly, I'm feeling lazy so here is a mood board of gifs to sum up this book. yay

The Magician's Nephew - ★★★★★
The Last Battle - ★★★★★

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Cori
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I adore C.S. Lewis, Narnia, and especially The Silver Chair. This contends for my favorite Narnia installment along with The Last Battle. Another re-read was long over-due!
Anne Hamilton
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, threshold, e
Once upon a time, about forty years ago, I read the entire series of The Chronicles of Narnia in a single week. Way back then, I would probably given The Silver Chair two stars. But only because I was feeling generous and I was still in the halo of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Some time in the interim, The Silver Chair moved from the bottom of my ratings to the top. And I do mean the very top. Today I'd give it more than five stars, if I could. Its rise has been steady; modest at first, it ev
The Chronicles of...: The Silver Chair - book 6 9 8 Jun 17, 2020 03:47AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Silver Chair [Oct 26, 2018] 26 14 Nov 01, 2018 09:51AM
Who should play Jill Pole? 39 266 Aug 16, 2018 12:33AM
Goodreads Librari...: The Silver Chair 7 36 Mar 27, 2017 03:41PM
FOR NARNIA: The Silver Chair book 4 13 Sep 08, 2016 09:24AM

• The Last Battle (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • Furia de Libertad: Los guerreros de Váruna y el corazón de los cielos
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  • The Magician's Nephew (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • The Book of Bulleh Shah
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)
  • Kalam Baba Bulleh Shah بلھے شاہ
  • Las Crónicas de Etsu Euria: Ekrem y el sarcófago de cristal
  • Prince Caspian

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)