Start by marking “Christmas Memories: Gifts, Activities, Fads, and Fancies, 1920s-1960s” as Want to Read:
Christmas Memories: Gifts, Activities, Fads, and Fancies, 1920s-1960s

Christmas Memories: Gifts, Activities, Fads, and Fancies, 1920s-1960s

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Oh, those Christmas memories. We all have them, locked away in our hearts. But what about the Christmases we weren’t there for? The one our favorite heirloom ornament came from, or the one we know only from a picture of our newlywed parents smiling under the mistletoe?
In Christmas Memories, Susan Waggoner, author of STC’s It’s a Wonderful Christmas and Under the Tree, look
Published October 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Memories

Jeff
Nov 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a light little book that touches on the various trends in Christmas decorations, gift giving, et cetera during the period between 1920 and 1969 in the United States.

The information is well-presented with many period illustrations (e.g., advertisements, Christmas cards). I found it to be interesting because it helped shed light on the what might have been my parents' childhood experiences and on how the treasures of my childhood Christmases may have found their way into my family's tradit
Ellen
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
This is a terrific book of facts, photos and nostalgia about Christmas during the 20's through the 60's. I learned a lot, and am old enough to remember some. Here are a few interesting tidbits:
1920's - Not many homes had electricity so all the sparkle on the trees came from tinsel (made from lead!!) and candles. The Macy's parade began in 1924 with live animals borrowed from the Central Park Zoo.
1930's - Greeting cards became popular replacing the Christmas postcard. Radio was the expensive fami
Amy
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, sociology
Just a lovely read about Christmases not too long past. I grew up in the 1970s with many of the ornaments and decorations from the 60s chapter, as well as the toys and other things that were part of that decade-- and visiting older family members, there were all of their decorations from the 20s onward. She includes lots of pictures and vintage advertisements to take a reader back in time, through the Depression, World War II, the Baby Boom, and the many changes of the 60s. It was sad and sweet ...more
Amy
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love learning about history, pop culture and holiday traditions. This is an awesome book. The author is known for making books about holiday traditions and I now own 3 of her books. They are so pretty to look at. They are something I will have on my shelf every year for Christmas. Beautiful books!
Sharon
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This little book explores the history of Christmas in the U.S. from the 1920's to the 1960's. It covers the evolving tradition and celebration of the holiday and the types of gifts, activities & fads that characterized each decade. I was struck by the influence of war on the celebration which has persisted despite the distinct lack of peace on earth.
Jenn
Sep 01, 2015 added it
I check this book out from the library about once a year. I love the nostalgic look back at the gifts, decorations, food and clothing from Christmases past. I also wish I could still get some of the deocorations that were sold then.
Roberta
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-books
The title led me to believe this was going to be sort of a crafts book. However, it was a thoroughly researched and well organized history of Christmas in the US from the 1920's through the 1960's. I was really hoping to find something about the Victorian Riot of Ribbons, but no luck.
Rebecca Sampon
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable Christmas book. I learned so much about the history of Christmas decorations and Santa Clause, it was fascinating!
Kathryn
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, 2012
This book was really fun and full of information of how our traditions started. Although I was born in the 1950s I thought the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s were fascinating. This was a fantastic book
Hayley
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book of Christmas Traditions from the 1920s-1960s.
I absolutely loved reading this book!
Jane