Start by marking “The Set Up (Medusa Project, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Set Up (Medusa Project, #1)

The Set Up

(Medusa Project #1)

Thirteen years ago, Professor William Fox discovered DR6124 - a gene for psychic abilities. By synthesising it, he managed to implant it in a series of embryos, knowing that the gene would be kick-started at puberty. But Fox was killed by his business partner, Jack Linden, before he saw his experiment come to fruition. Jack has big plans for the kids with the psychic gene ...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Children's

To ask other readers questions about The Set Up, please sign up.
Nupur Obviously! You will fall in love with the characters and their amazing abilities!

Start your review of The Set Up (Medusa Project, #1)
Emily May
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to Emily May by: Chelsey
Shelves: 2011, sci-fi, young-adult

This book was recommended to me by my 14 year old sister, Chelsey, and I found it an easy and relatively enjoyable read. I started and finished it within just a few hours.

The story is good, typical of young-adult science-fiction really. I enjoyed it but it wasn't unlike a million other books in this genre. Though I did expect a younger writing style, I didn't realise just how young an audience this book was aimed at; my typical young adult books tend to be somewhere in the 16-25 year old cat
Al
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: yalit
Read the full review on CBY Book Club: http://cbybookclub.blogspot.co.uk/201...

I'll make this quick as I don't have much to say about The Set Up apart from the fact that it wasn't as satisfying a read as I had expected it to be. The concept was interesting, so I gave it a go and it turned out that the execution didn't complement the idea. Based on the blurb, I knew I wasn't in for much of an original story but I had hoped it was going to be more enjoyable and intriguing, which, I'm sad to say, it wasn't.

I didn't m
15HillG
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really liked the action in this book because it made me want to read even more and i never wanted to put this book down!
15SolankiK
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of those books you don't want to put down. At first I didn't think I would like it but now I want to read the whole series!
Louis
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I originally started reading this book at 3 in the morning when I couldn't sleep (and the other book I was reading was not in my bedroom and I was too lazy to get up), and I must say for a book to keep me awake and preventing me from falling asleep it means something. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I had a lot of trouble of putting the book down and going back to sleep (which I did at 6 am).
Personally, I found the structure of the book to be very comfortable to read. The short chapt
Dylan B
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the few that have actually interested me and one that was easy to read. I have come to realise that sci-fi is my favourite genre as well and the only genre that interests me. I was very surprised that I liked the book when I started reading and whenever I was bored I started reading it again. As soon as I finished the first book I wanted to start the second book straight away which followed on to the other books.

It’s a great series and I like the fact that each bo
paul raggatt
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book because I like books 📚 that have a flow and have scary 👍
17vailes053
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought that the book was very tense and I felt nervous reading the book. My favourite character is Nico because he was so brave and strong.
Chelsey
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers - 12-15
Recommended to Chelsey by: Friend
Courteney Fisher
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
So nostalgic! I love reading s book from childhood and still enjoying it! How is this not a to show its action packed with relatable characters! Love this series so much and it's my favourite out of all Sophie McKenzie's books. Can't wait to re read the rest! P.s. Best Xmas present ever Jess
Sophie
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
this book was hilarious! it probably would have been boring with out nico. god he is a BRILLIANT character.

Just like most of Sophie McKenzie's books this one was addicting. read it in about 2 days. its good if you want a short read or want to get out of a reading fad.

so the story is about Nico he is also the main character, and we fallow what happens when he discovers he has the Medusa gene. The Medusa gene is a gene that is implanted in a child before its born, and when it reaches
Lily Coldstream
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
15PinderF
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved all of it, i really felt like I was in the story and I couldn't put it down would totally recommend it to anyone who likes the genre.
16ChambersA
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The genre is thriller and is book 1 of a series. I really enjoyed it as it is a similar age range as me and there is always something going on. I really enjoyed it. It was exiting but also had a happening. I would definitely recommend
Rheanna
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-series
First read in about 2010.
Re reading.
Ness
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not terrible, but not amazing - personally, if you're using the "four teenagers find out they have special abilities" setup, you have to bring a little bit more to it. Instead, every second conversation is about a love triangle (by the end, quadrangle) which brings nothing to the story and isn't easy to be invested in.

A few opportunities are misused. It's not much of a reveal who the mysterious fourth psychic is when there's only one character we've met who it could be. So that whole
Leah3088
16SimpsonL
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. It consists of a really intriguing story line which makes you want to read more and more. The author kept you interested by adding new pieces of information to the story as well as having strong and unique characters. Towards the end of the book a lot of suspense is built up when the characters face some hard choices. Overall I highly recommend this book and I can’t wait to read the series!
Erika
Jul 11, 2009 rated it liked it
James Dennis
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
16kelseyl
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it has been one of the best I have read for a long time. The characters are really gripping and the way the book is written makes you want read more and find out what happens. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone that needs some more adventure in their reading!
Kushnuma
The Set Up is book 1 in the Medusa Project series.

I thought I'd read this book again as I wanted to finish the series and couldn't remember everything. I felt sorry for Nico and was hoping he'd end up with the person he likes. I was hooked all over again and liked the idea of having powers and seeing how the four adjusted to them.
17staceyk062
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was good. It was very exciting and made you want to read more. It had lots of twists and was very interesting. This book was part of the medusa project series which i would recommend. The characters are funny and lovable.
Lillian
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Had a really interesting storyline and the characters are so well developed. The combination of all their personalities makes this book incredibly enjoyable to read. Although it is a quick read, it has a very in depth plot and it is intense .
Sophie Devlin-Leitch
This book is about four kids who develop sidekick powers and use them to stop bad things from happening to other people. If you are a person who enjoys exciting, dramatic stories I definitely recommend this book for you.
M.J. Dermott
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the first of six, as part of The Medusa Project. After reading the first three, I was very impressed with Sophie McKenzie's easy style of writing, so suitable for teens. The books are fast-paced thrillers with plenty of teenage challenges to think about.Extremely enjoyable.
MrsW
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sophie McKenzie is one of my favourite authors. I loved how she told this story from the point of view of different characters. If you want to read an action packed book, this is the one for you!
Sofia
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!
Siobhan
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: libby-app
I thought this was okay, wanted to know what happened even though the characters were annoying
Gelatin Factory
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very cliche, and unrealistic at times.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sure Fire (Rich and Jade, #1)
  • The Life and Rhymes of Benjamin Zephaniah: The Autobiography
  • Finding Sky (Benedicts, #1)
  • Scatterlings
  • Troy
  • Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust
  • The Devil Latch
  • The Devil Rides Out & Gateway to Hell
  • Vlad: The Last Confession
  • Seeking Crystal (Benedicts, #3)
  • Death Reins In (Horse Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Saddled with Trouble (Horse Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • The Gathering
  • A Name In Blood
  • Survival (Alpha Force, #1)
  • Top Marks for Murder (Murder Most Unladylike Mysteries, #8)
  • Abigale Hall
  • Maggie Jordan
Hey there! Welcome to my Goodreads page where you can keep up with all my stories - both the ones that are already published and the works in progress!!
I write mostly thrillers - though I have done some teen romance stories too.
I'm really excited right now because of...

Close My Eyes - which is my first psychological thriller for adult readers (pub May 2013, UK, July 2013, U

Medusa Project (6 books)
  • The Hostage (Medusa Project, #2)
  • The Rescue (Medusa Project, #3)
  • Hunted (Medusa Project, #4)
  • Double-Cross (Medusa Project, #5)
  • Hit Squad (The Medusa Project, #6)