Start by marking “Mercy's Embrace: So Rough a Course” as Want to Read:
Mercy's Embrace: So Rough a Course

Mercy's Embrace: So Rough a Course

(Mercy's Embrace #1)

Elizabeth Elliot is as beautiful as ever, yet no gentleman of proper stature has requested her hand. Lady Russell claims she is too particular, but Elizabeth begs to differ. She is not about to settle for a gentleman of no distinction like her sister Mary. Nor will she follow her heart and marry a commoner with no title but Captain-that was Anne's mistake. As for romance a ...more
Published March 21st 2009 by Wytherngate Press

To ask other readers questions about Mercy's Embrace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy's Embrace

Debbie Brown
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-jaff, i-own-it, jaff
NOTE: This is the first book in a trilogy. Although it ends at a logical stopping point, most of the major plot points are left unresolved. I sure wouldn't call it a stand-alone, so consider yourself warned in that respect.

I've never been an Elizabeth Elliot fan. I know I'm not supposed to be, since Jane Austen didn't exactly make her a sympathetic character. By the end of this sequel to Persuasion, I was starting to like her a little, though. I can tell that Ms. Hile is slowly chipping away at
Christina
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mercy’s Embrace, Book One, So Rough A Course by Laura Hile

In a sea of Darcy, Darcy, Darcy, I regret to admit that I may have over-indulged this winter and now suffer from post-Pride and Prejudice fanfiction fatigue. While perusing a generous stack of novels sent to me from our blogmistress, Laurel Ann, I was delighted to discover a follow-up story to Jane Austen’s masterpiece, Persuasion, entitled Mercy’s Embrace, So Rough A Course, Book 1 by debut author Laura Hile. I was instantly intrigued,
Carole (in Canada)
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Austenesque, Romance
I always wondered what would become of Elizabeth Elliot after her sister, Anne, married Wentworth in "Persuasion". Would she turn into a spinster constantly holding up the snobbery and vanity of her father, Sir Walter Elliot? Or would she 'see the light' and fight to find her own happily-ever-after? I must say Ms. Hile has certainly given me the latter in this intriguing journey that Elizabeth has set for herself.

Elizabeth Elliot is beautiful, headstrong, determined and a touch impulsive, sligh
Robin Helm
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series! Any author who can make me love Elizabeth Elliot deserves a medal. I finished this book in a day and hurried to read Book 2.

Robin Helm
Marcie
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
If you have read any of my past reviews you know that I love Jane Austen. I am also a fan of sequels, what if , and variation stories that her fans have written. My favorite book by Jane Austen is Persuasion.
I gush every time I read the letter Captain Wentworth writes to Anne. Mercy's Embrace is a sequel to Persuasion. However this book is not about Anne but her older sister Elizabeth. I have to admit in Persuasion, Elizabeth was not one of my favorite characters. She is vain, rude, obnoxious an
QNPoohBear
William Elliot's heart is broken. His cousin Anne rejected him in favor of a common sailor and Sir Walter seems close to forming an attachment to Penelope Clay. It's time to put a plan into action. William has a two-fold plan: 1)keep Sir Walter from begetting an heir and 2)marry Elizabeth. Elizabeth Elliot, nearing thirty, is desperate. She's stuck living in Bath with her silly father and the gossipping old ladies who will be quick to spread the story of the Elliotts' retrenchment if she isn't c ...more
Sheila Majczan
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it took me several days to finish this book it was not lack of interest or of spell binging intrigue. With the holidays I was busy...and so was Elizabeth Elliot in this story. She is determined not to remain a spinster but at the same time her father's debts and his secrecy about his finances on top of all her fine jewels showing up as paste give her much to fret about. Mrs. Clay has gone off. William Elliot has left the scene as well.

But there is a new player...no make that two new pla
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
The beautiful, haughty, and expensive Elizabeth Elliot is determined to be married before her rapidly approaching thirtieth birthday. The family's dire financial situation and the fact that both her younger sisters are no longer single increases Elizabeth's desire to be wed. For Elizabeth, “a man needs three qualities in order to be considered a matrimonial prize...good breeding, good looks, and a good income.” While on the lookout for this “matrimonial prize” Elizabeth encounters a wide variety ...more
Susan Kaye
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading Mercy's Embrace for years as Laura Hile serialized it online. The series is wonderful and FORCES you to like Elizabeth Elliot. She could easily be a modern heroine with just a new wardrobe and a cell phone. Laura makes all the characters, Austen and none, jump off the page. You'll enjoy it.
Laura Hile
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Eh, I clicked the "read it" icon ... because there isn't a "wrote it" icon! How odd to be reviewing my own book! As to genre, it's a Regency romantic comedy featuring the so-opinionated Elizabeth Elliot and all your friends from Austen's Persuasion. It was a kick to write. I hope you enjoy it.
Suzan Lauder
A warning to readers that this is not a complete book. It is 1/3 of a book. It's well-written, almost no editing errors, enjoyable, and often on sale, but the price for the whole book is on the steep side for a Kindle JAFF. I was lucky enough to buy all three on sale; however, this first third of the novel was good enough that I had to check to make sure I had the others, and had I not, I would have paid the regular price for them. It's just that good.

I'm a JAFF writer and may be considered to h
Jakki
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
According to Elizabeth Elliot, a man must possess three qualities in order to be considered eligible: good breeding, good looks, and a good income. As her thirtieth birthday draws near, Elizabeth is beginning to wonder if a man can truly possess all three qualities. Surely two out of three isn’t bad…right? As for matters of the heart, one must be a simpleton, indeed, to believe there is a chance of falling in love with a man who bears all of these.

Beautiful as ever, Elizabeth Elliot is determine
Candy
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque
So Rough a Course is right! In this continuation of Persuasion, Elizabeth Elliot is about to turn 30, well past spinster age, she realizes she needs to marry and marry soon. She sets off to do that, but her first daring scheme to find a husband fails miserably. While she’s gone, her father, Sir Walter, gives up the lease to the house and moves into The Citadel for his health, leaving Elizabeth to live at her sister Anne’s house. With Sir Walter's financial situation becoming worse, Elizabeth mus ...more
Katy
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read Jane Austen but never read any of the many spin-offs until now. I honestly had no expectations going into the book, and boy, was I pleasantly surprised! The author has managed to capture the spirit of Jane Austen in this book and still make it her own story. I found myself caught up in the tale, and amazingly, Ms. Hile has made Elizabeth Eliot a very sympathetic character! Because this is advertised as a "three part book series" don't expect a real ending; it's more like a miniseries t ...more
Carey Bligard
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very much enjoyed this subtle series, but would have put it all in one book
Kristi
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my type

I just didn’t like the characters. There wasn’t any good quality to draw me to them. It is a great story, great setting, and I didn’t expect it to be a series leaving the reader in a type of cliffhanger. But I don’t like the main character enough to want to read more about her story. She is getting better, of course, but still too proud for my liking. I struggled to get through the book.

I am sure many readers will enjoy this book. It is fun to see the reference to Austen characters. I
jonathan Riesco
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Way better than expected

I was expecting a quick easy read that would bring much criticism and eye rolling on my part but! Oh how pleasantly surprised I was to find a well written sequel to my beloved Persuasion. Then it ended on a cliffhanger and I had to buy books 2 & 3! I actually found myself liking Elizabeth though I couldn't compare her at all to the movie version of persuasion. I did take offence to the continual references of Dull Anne Elliott but if I'm honest, Austen did make her a
Allison Lassiter
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly good! Like others have said, I had some reluctance to read a book about Elizabeth Elliot because she is so appalling in Persuasion. However, Hile really redeems her. She doesn't wash away her faults, and she doesn't ignore them, but she gives us a back story to appreciate where they come from. My only complaints are that the characters' behavior falls away from what is social acceptable even in the dialogue ("my dear" from gentlemen not related). You can tell that the author is awar ...more
Rima
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series, even the second time through. Continues the story of Elizabeth Elliot, the proud sister in Persuasion. It's one continuous story through the three books, they don't stand alone. Elizabeth gets into lots of scrapes, meets suitable and unsuitable men, and tries to rescue her father from the consequences of his debts. She repents, experiences grace, and changes her course. Highly recommended!
Heather
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"So Rough a Course" is a continuation of Jane Austen's "Persuasion" following Elizabeth, Anne's sister. I didn't think I would like it to be honest. I have never read a continuation of other books by a different author before. However, I was pleasantly surprised. I found Laura Hile's book to be quite good and a lot of fun to read. I love the storyline, plot, and characters. So much so that I immediately ordered the second book for my kindle.
Kim  Gregory
This was a hard one. I wish she had written it in one book. I wanted an ending. It just seemed long, and then not to see her choose McGillvery at the end was such a let down. To have to go through another book and her still not make a choice... I don't know, I just think this whole series could be boiled down into one book. I love the original story, this one just went too long.
Jyl Milner
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable reading experience

This is a well-designed sequel to my favorite of Jane Austen's novels. It focuses on eldest sister Elizabeth and her experiences in looking for a husband. It is humorous in all the right places. I can hardly wait to read the next installment in this trio of novels!
Marguerite Gray
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of characters surrounding the life of Elizabeth Elliot as she sets out to right her father's finances and place in society while living as an unwanted guest with relatives. Disguise and false personas add layers to the already dramatic story. I look forward to the second installment of Elizabeth's dilemma.
Susan
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this Persuasion sequel Elizabeth Elliot is the last of the sisters to be unmarried. Is it her time now. But who will she chose. Her cousin Elliot, and Rushworth are eager. A well-written, easy to read story.
I like this Elizabeth, which is a surprise. Now I will have to read the rest of this trilogy.
Ms Hilary Lewis
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An old maid.

Interesting story of the period. Enjoyed the descriptions of the clothes etc. Money is thereof if all evil but how do we manage without any. Especially in these times when a lady had few talents where she could earn a living.
Joann
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spellbinding

There was never a dull moment when reading this story, always something going on. Excellent character development, you could easily slip into their lives. My only regret is that this is a three part series.
Jane Mercer
Oct 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, deleted
Thoroughly unlikeable characters the lead Elizabeth is a conceited snob and her sisters not much better the hero Patrick is hardly in it though it's supposed to be Elizabeth's story . No proper hea either as it's a 3 part novel no way I'm going to read the rest
Anita B
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kerry's Embrace: So Rough a Course Book 1: Elizabeth Elliott 's Story

A wonderful Regency Romance story in 3 parts. The course that Elizabeth goes through in taking care of her self-centered father and finding a love for herself!
Patricia
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imaginative

I received this book free from one of the book sites. I do not remember which one! This is my honest review.
An imaginative book loosely based on Jane Austin's writings.

• Anne Elliot, A New Beginning
  • For You Alone (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #2)
  • A Match For Mary Bennet: Can A Serious Young Lady Ever Find Her Way To Love?
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • Intimations of Austen
  • Charity Envieth Not (George Knightley, Esquire #1)
  • Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends, #2)
  • The Three Colonels: Jane Austen's Fighting Men (Jane Austen's Fighting Men, #1)
  • There Must Be Murder
  • Caroline Bingley
  • The Unexpected Miss Bennet
  • Attempting Elizabeth
Faith, Hope, Laughter ... and Happily Ever After

Readers are loving Laura Hile's joyous Austenesque Regency novels. Her signature style---intertwined plots, cliffhangers, and laugh-out-loud humor---keep them coming back for more.

The comedy Laura comes by as a teacher. There's never a dull moment with teen students!

All of Laura's books are enrolled in Kindle Unlimited.

Laura lives in the Pacific Nor

Mercy's Embrace (3 books)
  • Mercy's Embrace (Elizabeth Elliot's Story - So Lively a Chase #2)
  • Mercy's Embrace (Elizabeth Elliot's Story - The Lady Must Decide #3)