Start by marking “Werewolf Smackdown (Felix Gomez, #5)” as Want to Read:
Werewolf Smackdown (Felix Gomez, #5)

Werewolf Smackdown

(Felix Gomez #5)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  604 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Felix Gomez, Latino vampire detective extraordinaire, tackles a sexy werewolf cabal in Werewolf Smackdown, the fifth installment in Mario Acevedo’s satirical supernatural series. This is the author’s wonderfully twisted blend of comedy, horror, and detective noir.
Published March 9th 2010 by Harper Voyager (first published February 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Werewolf Smackdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Werewolf Smackdown

Susan
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was from cover to cover a non-stop problem for Felix Gomez half of the time it was caused by his own pride. This book kept me interested enough to finish it but I probably will not pick up another one to read.
Thomas
Jul 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror, 2014
I'm so glad this is the last of the Felix Gomez books. It looks like there's one more volume on its way, which will actually revisit some of the loose threads that were left dangling in books three and four, but I'm done with it. This book was pretty horrible.

I'm not sure what made me think that the first two books were fun, other than their titles. Acevedo has a bad habit of telling much more than he shows, which is odd, because he does a bit of showing through dialog, and then follows it up wi
David Watson
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
It seems that lately I have come across a lot of books that have combined mystery and horror. Mostly they are centered around a detective that has supernatural powers. For example Jim Butcher has written 13 novels based on wizard detective Harry Dresden. There is also the Shannon Delaney paranormal mystery series by Elizabeth Eagan-Cox. The book I want to talk about here, follows the adventures of vampire detective Felix Gomex in Werewolf Smackdown by Mario Acevedo.

A high powered werewolf Attorn
Jules
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
So sad. Why couldn't have life been a little easier for poor Felix? I wonder what happened to him...
Yael
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Once again, Iraq vet, vampire p.i., and Araneum enforcer Felix Gomez finds himself a touble magnet. A civil war among werewolf factions that may drench the Old South in blood is brewing, and Gomez will do anything he can to make sure it doesn't explode into a world war engulfing everything alive -- and undead. To make things even more complicated, an old girlfriend has become involved in the growing trouble in Charleston, South Carolina, and a gang of local vampires is, for unknown reasons, tryi ...more
Amy Rosenkoetter
Much more a detective novel than a supernatural one, in my opinion, but a good read all the same. I wasn't put off by the fact that there are apparently four novels or so before this one because the salient points were highlighted in various places as necessary. It did make me want to go back and read them, but it didn't make me feel like I was missing something by not having read them.

The writing was easy to follow, the mystery a bit more transparent (no hidden clues) because it wasn't a "solve
Daniel Brandon
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This series has always been a little bit uneven, and I have to say that this was a fairly weak addition to the group. The dialog is a touch cliched and stilted, and in order to keep the plot moving, the protagonist (vampire P.I. Felix Gomez) has to repeatedly fail the Moron Test. "I'll just sit here and talk casually to the villain, while the slow-moving minions slowly crawl over to me and stab me in the face."

Also, characterization is a trifle weak. Gomez, in a previous book, supposedly came to
Purr More
Overall I liked it but it took me awhile to get through this one. The first book in this series was so-so for me but I was interested enough to try the next one. The second book and all the others since have just gotten better and better...except this one. I felt this one took a couple of steps backward. Though I did not like it as well as some of the previous books in this series, overall I do like the Felix Gomez character. The first half of these books always seem a little slow to me then the ...more
Erik
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
So what’s an Army vet to do when he returns home from Iraqi dead, well undead….. Become a supernatural private detective.

Werewolf Smackdown once again throws Felix into a furball, yes pun intendended. Ariving in Charlston Felix is tossed into a middle of a possible war between werewolf war. Add in a past enemy who wants Felix dead, by creative ways, think Wile e Coyote, and past n future lovers, yes once again he gets some tail.

With a mix of headstrong determination, luck and just using his br
Chuck Belier
Mar 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's just hard not to love the Denver based Latino vampire P.I. Felix Gomez. This is the 5th book in the Felix Gomez series. Just like in the previous books, Mr. Acevedo paints a highly entertaining supernatural world of vampires, werewolves, dryads, ghosts and more. The story follows Felix's adventures in Charlotte, SC, where he gets involved with the local werewolves and their internal power struggles, tangles with an old lover, and faces an old deadly enemy. This book, like all of the Felix G ...more
Katy-Del
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
I love a mash up of genres. Felix is a vampire P.I. who inhabits a noirish world where the supernatural creatures generally police themselves and ignore each other. He's a gulf war vetern and works for himself, unless he's taking orders from the Araneum, the super, secret vampire council that takes the Great Secret very seriously.

In this installment, Felix is lured from Denver to Charleston, South Carolina and finds himself in the middle of a Werewolf showdown.

If there is trouble to be had or m
♦Jennifer♦
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
In skipping from The Nymphos of Rocky Flats all the way to Werewolf Smackdown, I most certainly missed things. However, it wasn’t enough that I ever felt confused. Werewolf Smackdown could definitely stand on its own with it’s great writing and fast moving plot. I would say that any fan of paranormal detective stories would not be disappointed in having read Werewolf Smackdown.

See the full review over at Literary Escapism
Solace Winter
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mario Acevedo is one of the only authors who can combine zombies, vampires, werewolves, and aliens and not make me think, "Man this guy is overdoing it." But as the series continues all I can think is, "How does he do it?" I bought the first novel because of the title, but the further I go through these novels the more I want to know what happens.

Felix Gomez is a walking tragedy, and while the novels are mostly told in a light tone, the undertone is heavy as is the emotions swirling through the
John Vanore
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
So my wife and I were on vacation one summer, and here I am checking into a hotel, dragging my duffel bag and toting a copy of Werewolf Smackdown. My Suffering Sunflower rolled her eyes as I slapped the book down on the counter to check in.

Some people don't get Mario Acevedo or Felix Gomez, maybe it's the cover art or the book titles. I love 'em all, great fun reads with solid plots, fleshed out characters and good writing.
Wesley Robinson
Mar 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was an amusing read, and had more than a few moments that made me laugh, but generally these scenes would be followed by something that kicked me out of the story. I find the key with stories is for them to be believable. Maybe if I had read the books before this one in the series it wouldn't have been quite as bad, but I cannot currently recommend it to anyone.
Tasula
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another book in the series about Felix Gomez, who came back from the Iraq conflict as a vampire, and became a detective, also working for the Araneum (which governs vampire affairs and protects the Big Secret- the fact that vampires etc exist). In this book, he gets involved in a werewolf conflict in Charleston, reconnects with an old girlfriend, and encounters an old enemy.
Chryse Wymer
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I picked this story off the library bookshelf for its title alone. I like fantasy stories, too, but it was the funny voice that took off right in the beginning that made me try it. It was a fairly easy read, boring in places, and not what I would expect from such an experienced writer. I expected fun and interesting, but got something fairly serious and obvious.
Mac
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book more than I thought I would, the plot is a bit cliched at times, but other than that, the only complaint a person could have would be some of the more "R" rated parts of the book. It gets interesting because everything is headed towards a mix between war and anarchy, while Felix is being tossed around and trying to get a grip on the situation.
Joanne
May 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: boring
Nope. Didn't like it. I'm sure it's a good book for those who like more of the "men in black" theme then I do. Just couldn't get into it. Only finished it because I spent good $$ on a hardcover version.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
Werewolves and vampires do NOT get along but Angela and Felix seem to have hit it off. This time around Felix saves his own vampire skin at the cost of others. Not on purpose but isn't that always how it ends up?
Robin Edman
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book is not hugely worse than the books that preceded this one; in fact, the author has begun to check his Tendency to repeat himself. However, I've run entirely out of patience with the protag's paternalistic chauvinism. It's annoying and offensive.
John
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Just when you think Felix is going to find someone to get over Carmen with...nope. OK, so it's understandable why it didn't work out, but come on...give the guy a break.

And make him stop and think already!
John Hart
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, series
Very good, although I still think Jailbait Zombie has the edge. Still, Acevedo continues to connect elements from past novels and introduce supernatural phenomena(e.g. Ghosts and Werewolves) within an intriguing mystery.
Stacy Kingsley
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This was much better than the last one, but I think they are all the same, so I'm done with Felix Gomez.
David Bock
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Always a good read. Fast & fun. I just wish Mario would keep his stories in Denver... maybe Littleton Colorado has a problem!
Raquel
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires-n-weres

Kathleen
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Mario Acevedo's books have all been a fun read... If you like supernatural stuff (Vampires, Werewolves, pixies, wood nymphs, etc)

Mystery, love story... good mixture...
Rob Findlay
Not the best entry in the series, also not the worst...a fun read.
Richard
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this adventure of Felix Gomez. Especially because it took place in my hometown. it was strange and exciting reading about all the places Felix went to while in charleston.
Cathy
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story.
Loved the cover.
  • Crossed (Void City, #3)
  • Dark War (Matt Richter #3)
  • Vampire Zero (Laura Caxton, #3)
  • The Dragon's Mark (Rogue Angel, #26)
  • Bitten in Two (Jaz Parks, #7)
  • Chasing the Moon
  • The Path of Razors (Vampire Babylon, #5)
  • Daemon's Mark (Nocturne City, #5)
  • Haunted Honeymoon (Casa Dracula, #4)
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
  • Bite Marks: A Vampire Testament
  • Road Trip of the Living Dead (Amanda Feral, #2)
  • Dark Road Rising (Vampire Files, #12)
  • Reality Bites: Tales of a Half-Vampire
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Spell Blind (Justis Fearsson, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Mortal Path, #2)
  • Maureen Birnbaum, Barbarian Swordsperson
Born in El Paso, Texas and grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico, but visited family in Chihuahua. Joined the US Army and flew attack helicopters.

Was artist-in-residence for Arte Americas in Fresno, California and served as a combat artist in Operation Desert Storm. Also teaches/taught art to prisoners at Avenal State Prison.

Felix Gomez (6 books)
  • The Nymphos of Rocky Flats (Felix Gomez, #1)
  • X-Rated Bloodsuckers (Felix Gomez, #2)
  • The Undead Kama Sutra (Felix Gomez, #3)
  • Jailbait Zombie (Felix Gomez, #4)
  • Rescue From Planet Pleasure
“The driver turned up a rap tune. Loud. With more bass than a barrage of howitzers. Something by 50 Cent. Or Two-Bits. Shiny Penny. What the hell did I know about rap music?” 1 likes
“Somebody had written: MEN, which was crossed out and replaced with LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM FOR A PENIS. Under that, the word WOMEN had also been crossed out and replaced with VAGINAL AMERICANS.” 1 likes